ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carpet baggers.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2014, 06:25 PM   #42991
Gadjeep
n00b
 
Joined: Nov 2013
Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKMLWR View Post
couple of us live in the bangor area...much of the studmill road area is closed to bikes. best way in is past Nicatous Lake area and then the area between Springfield to GLS is good.

WOW! I have been gone a long time. That's terrible that they limit access like that. The whole scenario of the timber companies owning most of the damn state was predicated on that they wouldn't limit recreational access to lands that weren't being actively logged. When you guys go up to Nicatous do you go through Greenfield, around Trout Pond and up the 21000 road or do you slab it to Burlington and then East? I know that the land trust that they started out in the Machias lakes out to W Grand can't be helping either. My family has had a camp in Farm Cove since before there was a road. My grandfather hauled everything to build it in by boat. I lived in Greenfield on the Crocker Turn Rd until I was 21, couldn't wait to leave and now can't stop thinking about going back!
Gadjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 06:32 PM   #42992
Wickedadv
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Wickedadv's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Location: Mountains of ME
Oddometer: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinMan207 View Post
had to replace the left hand electrics switch (blinker, lights, horn).

Did it melt due to the fact its switching 20A ? ;)
Wickedadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 08:46 PM   #42993
BKMLWR
Wondering around...
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: North Carmel
Oddometer: 4,532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadjeep View Post
WOW! I have been gone a long time.
sometimes we ride the blueberry barrens to Machias then up thru the woods to GLS and out to Burlington and back roads to Passadumkeag-Greenbush Springy Bridge Rd to Greenfield Rd to Milford

Robbins Lumber has just opened more atv trail on west side of Nicatous past the Oxbow Ponds so you can ride all the way around Nicatous on legal trails except for 1 short part...

I did some drafting work for Pete at Greenfield Machine in distant past....
was at a camp out there one time where I was told not to go in because some people inside would be real uncomfortable if someone they didn't know was to come in.....
__________________
Sometimes I get off the bike before it has come to a complete stop....
Another Proud Small Scale Faker......
Praise You In This Storm
LifeSong
BKMLWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 08:49 PM   #42994
BKMLWR
Wondering around...
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: North Carmel
Oddometer: 4,532
it's a marvelous night for a moon dance.....
ground fog drifting in the fields....almost full moon....cool enough to keep the bugs down....
but do be careful of the ground fog in the tight curve with a changing radius...
__________________
Sometimes I get off the bike before it has come to a complete stop....
Another Proud Small Scale Faker......
Praise You In This Storm
LifeSong
BKMLWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 12:54 AM   #42995
Gadjeep
n00b
 
Joined: Nov 2013
Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKMLWR View Post
sometimes we ride the blueberry barrens to Machias then up thru the woods to GLS and out to Burlington and back roads to Passadumkeag-Greenbush Springy Bridge Rd to Greenfield Rd to Milford

Robbins Lumber has just opened more atv trail on west side of Nicatous past the Oxbow Ponds so you can ride all the way around Nicatous on legal trails except for 1 short part...

I did some drafting work for Pete at Greenfield Machine in distant past....
was at a camp out there one time where I was told not to go in because some people inside would be real uncomfortable if someone they didn't know was to come in.....
What a small frickin world, Pete Mason is my cousin and I grew up next door to him on top of the hill. I probably know the owners of the camp you're speaking of too...hell I'm probably related to him!

In Carmel related news: I worked for PB Newcomb on the guard rail and fence crews for a couple of years before I left the state in 98. You probably know my cousin Tim Richardson too. :)
Gadjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 02:50 AM   #42996
TinMan207
Most often a lurker...
 
TinMan207's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Southern Maine -- most days
Oddometer: 1,469
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickedadv View Post
Did it melt due to the fact its switching 20A ? ;)
can't say for sure why. Blinker stopped working on one side. Nothing LOOKED fried in the little poking and prodding I could do. Bought a used replacement on fleebay and stripped the bike to get it on. took me 1/2 a day to make 1 quick electrical connection as I recall it. I noticed that you were able to get in there with your crash bars still on the bike. Mine had to come off to get the plastics off - probably been crashed once or twice too often. I never looked forward to working on up front on that bike because it was/always such a pain. Fortunately, I seldom needed to.

I'm saving my pennies to buy a replacement shock for it before i decide what will be done with the old beast... ride it or sell it. I bought the red 650 as a replacement, but every time I go out and start up the beast I wonder if I really have it in me to put her down... I'm kinda thinking that a new shock and pivot bearings (and raising links) and she might still have a lot of life left in her still. Though with almost 100,000 she needs a face lift.

We'll see I guess. If you hear of anyone with a DL1000 rear shock - cheap - let me know. I'm halfway looking.
__________________
When I was young I hoped to be Rich and good looking. At this point, I think that having great stories of many adventures is a much better plan

06 Suzuki DL650 (2 at the moment!) - 00 DR650
TinMan207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 03:54 AM   #42997
Wickedadv
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Wickedadv's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Location: Mountains of ME
Oddometer: 437
Quote:
Originally Posted by TinMan207 View Post
I noticed that you were able to get in there with your crash bars still on the bike. Mine had to come off to get the plastics off - probably been crashed once or twice too often. I never looked forward to working on up front on that bike because it was/always such a pain. Fortunately, I seldom needed to.

I'm saving my pennies to buy a replacement shock for it before i decide what will be done with the old beast... ride it or sell it. I bought the red 650 as a replacement, but every time I go out and start up the beast I wonder if I really have it in me to put her down... I'm kinda thinking that a new shock and pivot bearings (and raising links) and she might still have a lot of life left in her still. Though with almost 100,000 she needs a face lift.

We'll see I guess. If you hear of anyone with a DL1000 rear shock - cheap - let me know. I'm halfway looking.
I will keep my eyes open for the shock. Yeah you could definitely use some raising links too! And, give it a new lease on life. Hey, why not! It's not like it owes you anything.

As for getting the plastic off with the crash bars on, if you remove all bolts for tank and fairings, then you can lift the tank off and the plastic has enough space to slide to the side. With the tank out of the way, the plastics slide right out. It's not really difficult per se, but it just a little takes time to remove everything. Hopefully it will be a while before I go back in there :)

Happy paddling




Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Wickedadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 05:08 AM   #42998
BKMLWR
Wondering around...
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: North Carmel
Oddometer: 4,532
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadjeep View Post
What a small frickin world, Pete Mason is my cousin and I grew up next door to him on top of the hill. I probably know the owners of the camp you're speaking of too...hell I'm probably related to him!

In Carmel related news: I worked for PB Newcomb on the guard rail and fence crews for a couple of years before I left the state in 98. You probably know my cousin Tim Richardson too. :)
I'm having some shafts made by Jimmy Alexander right now....
__________________
Sometimes I get off the bike before it has come to a complete stop....
Another Proud Small Scale Faker......
Praise You In This Storm
LifeSong
BKMLWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 10:37 AM   #42999
Gadjeep
n00b
 
Joined: Nov 2013
Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKMLWR View Post
I'm having some shafts made by Jimmy Alexander right now....
Another cousin. :) If they are on top of Lambs Hill they are all my people ..for better or worse!
Gadjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 10:39 AM   #43000
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot
 
cjbiker's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Southern Maine
Oddometer: 2,503


I could sell all my bikes and buy a new 690 Enduro
cjbiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 05:14 PM   #43001
2twisted
GoodNYou
 
2twisted's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Sebago Lake Me
Oddometer: 2,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbiker View Post



I could sell all my bikes and buy a new 690 Enduro

When is your wife banning you from Craigslist ?
2twisted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 05:47 PM   #43002
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot
 
cjbiker's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Southern Maine
Oddometer: 2,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2twisted View Post
When is your wife banning you from Craigslist ?
I think the guys in the white coats are coming for me any moment now
cjbiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 05:53 PM   #43003
2twisted
GoodNYou
 
2twisted's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2002
Location: Sebago Lake Me
Oddometer: 2,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbiker View Post
I think the guys in the white coats are coming for me any moment now

I probably should be quite as there is not a lot of elbow room in da man cave these days....
2twisted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 05:57 PM   #43004
Kaw4Life
Busted Adventurer
 
Kaw4Life's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Maine
Oddometer: 6,416
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbiker View Post
i think the guys in the white coats are coming for me any moment now
Kaw4Life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 05:59 PM   #43005
cjbiker
Nobody's Robot
 
cjbiker's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Southern Maine
Oddometer: 2,503
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2twisted View Post
I probably should be quite as there is not a lot of elbow room in da man cave these days....
The wild idea I had this morning was to replace 2 or 3 bikes with one 690

I don't think I can bring myself to either spend that much on a bike or buy another one with FI and that other electronic stuff, though
cjbiker is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014