User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2015, 02:55 PM   #1
2WheeledFaith OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Run For The Wall - May 2015

A completely different type of Adventure Ride.

May 2014 was my first time riding from Los Angeles to Washington DC with Run For The Wall. As a veteran I fully know and appreciate the fact my freedoms came with a cost and http://rftw.org is an organization whose purpose and mission I fully endorse and support.

Their Mission Statement: To promote healing among ALL veterans and their families and friends, to call for an accounting of all Prisoners of War and those Missing in Action (POW/MIA), to honor the memory of those Killed in Action (KIA) from all wars, and to support our military personnel all over the world.

It's a 10 day highly structured ride from LA to DC with some of the finest people I've ever met. Try imagining fueling 300 motorcycles in 20 minutes. I don't have to imagine it anymore, I've witnessed it, two to three times a day, everyday for 10 days. We were a parade at last once a day through America's heartland. We visited veterans whose families never come to visit them in ICU's at two VA Hospitals and brought smiles to their faces. I met a purple heart veteran from WWII who served with the same unit as my dad. We had breakfast, lunch and dinner provided for all of us every day of the ride by small communities who did fundraisers and worked all year to have the funds host us. We visited a school in the back mountains of W.Virginia that RFTW has supported through donations from the riders for 20+ years. We rode our motorcycles on the governor's sidewalk up to the steps of the Capital building in W. Virginia where we were welcomed and presented the key to the city. We rode our motorcycles into Arlington Cemetery and RFTW presented a wreath at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. We solemnly walked to the Vietnam Memorial Wall where I watched my fellow riders weep for brothers in arms whose lives were taken 40+ years ago. I heard stories of closure and welcome home the men got from this ride that they never got when returning from Viet Nam. I wept with them.
This is an adventure that is anything but self centered, yet fulfilling like non other. The patriotism exhibited by the residents in small communities across our country who welcomed us did for me what no politician has ever done, and that is restore faith in our great nation. Not in the government, but it's people. This ride changed me, and I'm grateful for it.
I was a bit of an anomaly on an adventure bike wearing Klim gear, adventure boots and a full face helmet amongst the Harley riding, patch covered black vests with skull buckets and long white beards, yet I never felt more welcomed by people I had just met.
Check it out, it may just be something you'd like to experience.
Attached Images

2WheeledFaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 03:01 AM   #2
mikegc
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,661
Run For The Wall - May 2015

I've done it several times and it's something to see. The camaraderie is superb and enjoyed by all, veteran and non-veteran alike.

Mike

Duty- Honoring a Friend
mikegc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 03:09 AM   #3
TravellingTartar
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
See you in a few weeks

Fellow veterans, we're looking forward to having you all in DC! And yes, as with each year, we hope thousands turn out to keep the focus on the countless sacrifices made by families all across our nation, and that of our allies. My personal focus is on homeless veterans. How is it possible? How is it allowed?

Safe travels brothers.