Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2010, 11:59 PM   #181
Gasser
Control crash rider

Oddometer: 140
Yo Robert I got trial 69 all super tagged every 20 feet in the Puna jungle sections, spent 5 hr and used 3 rolls of Rock Island Rider pink ribbon, man the mosquitoes were thick, I was swinging my machete violently sideways back and forth to kill the little blood sucking bastards before I could tie each ribbon, then walk fast to the next blind turn to keep on tagging, but they followed me, Helen Keller could brail the whole course without screwing up now.

Fixed the ocean boulder entrance so even a bagger Harley with a fat chick on the pillion could clean it drinking coffee without spilling it---honest man, I, I, I, wouldn't lie bro! believe me, cross my stink'en farts, hope we don't die.

The ocean was pissed off today (mad March) with big waves washing halfway up that trials section, as I worked tossing boulders filling in the big detents, I had to scramble up many times to keep from getting washed away, the salty spray was heavy, I was wet from it when I finished, washed the KTM as soon as I got home, the 69 yr old bod is stiff and sore from the long cut an tag walking and boulder tossing session, I hope I didn't turn trail 69 into a 450 girlymon ride, if it rains with big surf, it will turn into the trail from Hell---you ready for this shit ?
Attached Images

Gasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 09:54 PM   #182
Southest US Thumper
Extreme n00b

Oddometer: 2,022
Oahu Boyz Pay a Visit

Ran into Tony "Blue Eyes" a couple of weeks back and he tells me there's four guys coming from Oahu this weekend, get a call from an old surfing buddy and he says he's coming over to ride this weekend, run into another friend from here and he says he has a friend coming to ride this weekend, hmmmmmm.... Is there a connection????

D'uh! So today I'm going to be the gas bitch while the gang (eight now instead of 4 1/2) head's to Waimea to ride Mana/Keanakolu Rd to Mauna Kea and then around the Mountain, looking at 90ish miles for the day. We met up last night for some mexican food and to lock in NO plan.... The bikes were supposed to be offloaded from the barge Thursday but high surf slowed em down so nothing is available till this morning, the best laid plans....

I head to Mauna Kea as they head up the coast road to Waimea after a brief gas stop:

Then I head to MK with my bike, a case of water, and 27 gallons of gas, we're supposed to meet at Keanakolu Cabins mid way between Waimea and the MK access road, I get there and listen to a message "we left at 11:30" and realise it's now 11:45. Hang out and fall asleep....

Where they're coming from:

The State cabins (available for rent):

Paul, first rider to show, his FMF pipe woke me up from my short snooze.

Time to feed the little one, some more to come.

Southest US Thumper screwed with this post 03-06-2010 at 07:51 AM
Southest US Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 12:47 AM   #183
Gasser
Control crash rider

Having fun faster with the Ca$h

Any of those bikes plated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southest US Thumper
Ran into Tony "Blue Eyes" a couple of weeks back and he tells me there's four guys coming from Oahu this weekend, get a call from an old surfing buddy and he says he's coming over to ride this weekend, run into another friend from here and he says he has a friend coming to ride this weekend, hmmmmmm.... Is there a connection????

Shootz Robert, it's "Bike's up" on the Big Island---cool to da max brah!

D'uh! So today I'm going to be the gas bitch while the gang (eight now instead of 4 1/2) head's to Waimea to ride Mana/Keanakolu Rd to Mauna Kea and then around the Mountain, looking at 90ish miles for the day. We met up last night for some mexican food and to lock in NO plan.... The bikes were supposed to be offloaded from the barge Thursday but high surf slowed em down so nothing is available till this morning, the best laid plans....

I head to Mauna Kea as they head the coast road to Waimea after a brief gas stop:

Then I head to MK with my bike, a case of water, and 27 gallons of gas, we're supposed to meet at Keanakolu Cabins mid way between Waimea and the MK access road, I get there and listen to a message "we left at 11:30" and realise it's now 11:45. Hang out and fall asleep....

Where they're coming from:

The State cabins (available for rent):

Paul, first rider to show, his FMF pipe woke me up from my short snooze.

Time to feed the little one, some more to come.
Old 03-06-2010, 12:54 AM   #184
Southest US Thumper
Extreme n00b

So everybody ends up at Keanakolu, it was fairly wet coming from Mauna Kea with rain and cloud mist most of the way but at the cabins it was nice and sunny, hence the nap as I waited for the South bound travellers.

It's about 20 miles to the start of the R-1 route around the mountain, this is at the end of Mana/Keanakolu road, Two Riders were Approaching...

Gas stop at 9,200'.

10 or so miles into the circle mountain tour.

Heading up to the highest point on the passage and where I need to turn around so I can get back to Hilo to pick up our son ontime.
I imagine this doesn't look like what most folks think Hawaii looks like, Mars comes to mind, maybe that's why NASA tests their Rovers here, but it's a pretty damm nice place to live.

You just can't pound around this place because there are so many spots to stop and smell the Mamane Blossoms...

Sunday is Gasser's Puna Dual Sport Ride, the Oahu guys are headed up North tomorrow, and tomorrow eve is a memorial for a riding buddy so it'll be a full motorcycle riding related weekend.

Southest US Thumper screwed with this post 03-06-2010 at 07:54 AM
Old 03-06-2010, 07:50 AM   #185
Southest US Thumper
Extreme n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasser
Any of those bikes plated?
Just mine and Mike's, a couple of boring WR-F's, those guys came with two Honda 450s, X & R, two CRF 250X's, and two KTM 250 EXC's. Good bunch of guys.

Southest US Thumper screwed with this post 03-07-2010 at 01:15 AM
Old 03-06-2010, 07:32 PM   #186
Birdmove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,634
Wow. Looks like you folks on the Big Island have a great time. We just put an offer in on a place in the Puna/Pahoa area in the hope of eventually moving there.Not quite ready to retire yet though. Anyone ride an XT225 there?

jon in Puyallup, Wa.
Birdmove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 01:10 AM   #187
Southest US Thumper
Extreme n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdmove
Wow. Looks like you folks on the Big Island have a great time. We just put an offer in on a place in the Puna/Pahoa area in the hope of eventually moving there.Not quite ready to retire yet though. Anyone ride an XT225 there?

jon in Puyallup, Wa.
They're here, not too popular, be a perfect bike for getting around the cinder roads of the various Puna sub-divisions and cruising down to the lighthouse or riding from "Four Corners" in Kapoho back to Haw'n Paradise Park along Beach Rd. Probably get you anywhere you wanted to get to if you were taking your time and not trying to keep up with guys that are constantly on the look out for a place to roost you!!!
Old 03-07-2010, 09:57 AM   #188
Birdmove
Beastly Adventurer

Yeah, the XT225 is no powerhouse, but if you can live without roosting and wheelies and such, it's a reliable dual sport. And if I ride it at 50 mph and under, it'll return 95 mpg.The six speed really helps.And at 56 years old, I'm finding it's still fun riding the smaller motorcycles too. 48 years of riding with many more to follow hopefully.

Jon in Puyallup, Wa.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:09 AM   #189
Birdmove
Beastly Adventurer

I see that it's possible to take a dirt bike and possibly make it street legal there? That opens a lot of possibilities. Can't do that in Washington State any more.

jon
Old 03-07-2010, 11:17 PM   #190
Idahosam
Set Adrift

Oddometer: 4,116
Birdmove

I see you have discovered the BI some really great folks over there and in particular Southeast US Thumper is THE MAN he can guide you down the right path. Now remember these guys are extreme riders so I'd trade that 225 in for say a KTM 200

These guys will keep you in shape or get you in shape.

To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.
Aldous Huxley
Idahosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 04:58 AM   #191
Gasser
Control crash rider

The motorcycle golden ratio; a geometric proportion that is the most aesthetically pleasing to the eye, have the optimal horsepower foot pound tork to weight raito with perfect suspension in a weight balanced chassis for input ergonomics.

Is this 09 KTM 200 XCW

All around great bike out of the box,
This is the armor it takes to ride/survive level 3 - 5 off road Dual MX Purpose 150+ mile rides, or go get grocery's with.

Quieter than a lawn mower.

Geared up to smooth out the power delivery in the tight trail, it does 75 top speed, 37mpg @ 55 mph.

Almost a 1K invested to get the KTM street legal, plus some after market bullet proofing.

Well worth the $ for the fun returns.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Don;t let this happen

He slept on the couch on any sunny Sunday
Procrastinating his rides saying some day

The insurance company's like these guy's
They see high dollar returns in their eyes

~~~~~~~~~~Pick one~~~~~~~~

He grabbed a big hand full of the go fast grip
Proclaiming shit man, I'm going to let'er rip

The instant the tires spin on the hot tarmac
Sunday is used properly having a fun climax
Attached Images

Old 03-08-2010, 08:17 PM   #192
Southest US Thumper
Extreme n00b

Punatic Dual Sport Ride

Gasser's ride was a hoot, I cheated and rode the Scorpa because I wanted to cut corners and shoot video (working that right now) plus I knew it'd be a hell of a lot easier . When I got to Gasser's house it was dumping rain:

I head down to the first section of "Trail" which is basically Pahoehoe Lava along the coast. High Tide was at 6:54 and deposited this chunk of drift wood right on the route, note to self: Wash Bike REAL good when this is over.

The gang arrives:

The rocks are conquered:

We dove into some pretty rugged single track:

Gasser Pontificates:

We take a break and Gasser asks if his Chest Protector makes Butt look Big.. or something:

1 bike broke, one started acting broke, and it was a hell of a good time, wish I'd taken more images....

Southest US Thumper screwed with this post 03-08-2010 at 08:25 PM
Old 03-08-2010, 11:53 PM   #193
Gasser
Control crash rider

Trail 69 break inn ride took its toll

Leaving at 8:30 from Big Island Power Sports under wet conditions that turned into rain as were passing through Keaau, then just a mile past, it suddenly turned into a bitchen blue sky day with big tuffs of cotton clouds above the now dry tarmac we were rolling on, as we whipped our street legal Baja kitted MX off road machine’s guts out keeping up with traffic.

Tall fresh knobby viberating BIDSA riders and bikes covered in layers of colorful plastic armor head on with a mission; break innroots & rocks that roll’ Trail 69, making it ride-able for a Memorial Day Good old days MK200 Dual Sport memorable kick your ass ride, so if outer island riders come over they won’t be disappointed.

After 20 miles of East Puna tarmac, we pop on to a big flat patch of Pahoehoe at the edge of the blue Hawaiian Ocean, dropping the kickstands we shed an packed to micro size, the rain gear it took to get here.

Questioning the trail entrance, the rider’s eyes were in REM mode with a searching ‘where do we go from here? Huh? WTF? Look…

Being an 69 yr old fuel atomizer & a lotsaknobbystireconsumer, I had fun with that question pointing to the shallow foot deep rock tide pool saying; time the wave sets--- go for it!---to that three vertical foot ledge, be up an over quickly…Brah! Don’t screw up!--------------It can get ugly Brah!

So cool, had’em going as heads twitched and flicked, eye ball’s dilated, eye brows raised for a moment of serious thought breaking into to smiles and laughs cuz they thought I was bullshit bench race’em, but still they had not a clue what treachery lays beyond this as that big Pahoehoe area quickly narrows intoTrail 69’s rounded bolder 10 ft decent into shallow tide pools and in coming waves @ sea level, and they thought I was BSing’em.

Once there, 8 an10 inch tall square edge rock step ups chew new knobby tires that will soon be shredded to hell on some rocks that roll and some rocks that take their aluminum/plastic/rubber toll charge to cross their rock bridges.

25 potential tire flatting square edge lava rocks lay ahead that demand toes on the pegs, blipping the gas to span big cracks & dips, to get to Rock Jaws entrance.

I blipped myself to Rock Jaws entrance, there, without breaking the rhythm, no second guessing I WFO clutch blipped it hard, getting up an past the narrow Jaws boulders that cause violent de-tented tire spinning as the rider tries to get away, caught by the foot pegs, jammed backwards in Jaws with a stalled engine, with almost no foot room to find neutral or to kick start it to life---once started, rocking a 260 lb bike back an forth WFO searching for traction---Jaws is eating, pipes, case’s, shifters, swingarm’s, chain guides, tires, even boot buckles off for lunch and then spitting the rider off sideways the next de-tent three feet up---if that won’t do it, the next one of 8 will if your not going faster than the crash! Good LoL video stuff.

The Lau’s, Steve, Josh, Justin are pro riders in my book, going faster then the crash, they cleaned that section without de-tenting.

My KTM 200 rippled my old wrinkled ass easily up an over and down into the dotted big rocks that litter the trail for the start of the next mini section into the jungles.

I videoed riders de-tenting--- rock’em to get’em roll’en’ going up an over Jaws, Wayne, Steve, Jarred spent a half hr there on the wave threatening low rocks doing major carburetor surgery on Wayne’s coughing Slowzooski with carb parts laying on the wet rocks from occasional big wave sets rolling in, it was a daring on the spot repair job, they somehow got away it for 15 min, moral of story; don’t ride a bike that has been setting for months on a serious dual sport ride.

Same place Brad Shero got big wave drowned out 19 years ago, then it was named Pro Trail.

The waves got bigger just after Wayne running making it up an over the huge Ocean tossed rock barrier.

Stumbling through the weed covered dotted blocks of rocks to mount our rolling arm pumping gymnasiums, we serpentine through the root balled tall grass section to the tight Guava/Vive thicket into the Mango trees, where riders were all smiles, liking that section.

Section two starts directly across the road, being the Jungles were wet, turned smiles into serious facial grunting contortions, using burst of potty mouth leverage language to muscle upside down looped out bikes out of Guava tree tangles.

There were four snotty rootty traction-less 8- 10 ft drop inns and near un-makable outs, whipped out having to lift the now 20 ton machines over a two inch slippery root that violent rocking back and forth with WFO wheel spinning action did zero to move forward period!, and if it did, it was another slippery root de-tent.

When machete qualifying Trail 69 on foot, I knew it could be hell in here if it’s wet---it was today, but The Lau’s, Tony, & Jarred, made it out, un scathed, sitting in the shade, laughing, listing to us rev, cuss and grunt Trail 69’s wet slippry traps not far from the exit that we miss calculated on distance.

Returning from the trail ahead, Dennis Vierra appears just as I muscled my bike out from a bad situation---with a serious portagee facial expression, in chest heaving breaths saying; A freaking Guava limb snagged me, pulling me into that deep hole back there, trying to get out “all I could hear is laughter and heavy tire spinning ahead” I turned around dudes!

Shootz we didn’t want to die a slow mosquito sucking death in the wet Puna jungle, I forgot just where we were in the trail I taged----we chicken skin opted to turn around, but it was worse going back against the grain of the forward only cut of the trail. bad choice Boyz.

Josh the young beefy “retrieval wrecker” Lau, walked back helping us, he’s so strong he only had to use his right grip hand to get my KTM up two inclines…(I owe you-------man)

Then, saying, dudes; what the hell you doing, the end of the trail was only 100ft back there? All that wheel spinning was my father jammed between two logs at the trail exit,-------he LIDLHAO at us whipped puppy’s.

Struggled our embarrassed asses off, we got out, saying; you guy’s screwed up, you were supposed to pull a check and ride the trail backward out, but that bullshit bench race story didn’t hold water with them as they LIDLTAO> laid in dirt laughing their ass’s off at us pusses from Puna.

Taking a break sitting on a rock wall, In the shade of Guava trees, replenishing nuked out calories with snacks, we watched top mechanic Craig Goodwrench with a rapid blur of the boot, bitch-slap his uncooperative KTM’s kick starter like he was stomping a den of Rattle snakes to death trying to spark some bang into his PMSing horsepower whore that has bitch-slapped him off a few times for getting ‘Motard kinky traction naughty abusive’ stretching her fuel atomizing cables @ un-supportive lean angles on the tarmac bed.

With a no man left behind policy the Lau’s (got to love them bro’s) some how coaxed the heavily potty mouthed christened KTM suck-bang-go-blow-suck, into gear turning forward locomotion.

It was fun just sitting on the accent green mossy rock wall joke bench racing the ride---lots of laughing time while all this magic motor repair was going on ---you can’t buy this shit---it’s the real deep inside laughter---that’s why I love I to ride with these Bruddah’s, makes my weeks happen with good shit.

So for a dirt road mile, Trail 69 turns down ward toward the blue Sun sparkling Ocean to “Skitters Rule Mango Grove” section as 10 riders drop down in through a tight brushy black hole into its green wet slippery leave & Lahala floor as we were power-squirting/brake-sliding with a rhythm through this zone working our way around several tire spinning tight 90* turns on lots of roots crisscrossing the moss covered rocks and a few log’s to blip over in this 5 minute long section with a 6 ft almost vertical abrupt exit, popping us out up on to tall grassed flat Pahoehoe area with big tire wide cracks coursing every which way but straight to the big wave white water Ocean sprayed cliffs, truly Hawaii post card picture stuff on world class enduro trails.

10 riders in, 10 riders out, smooth ride, all smiles---cool shit man!

The trail now joins a fisherman’s 4WD trail that follows the rough Pahoehoe/a’a’ coastline edge for a half mile, then winds up and down on a over grown 4WD two track through a tangle of trees with poke-eye dangling limbs that goes inland another half mi, popping out on old Gov’t Rd.

There, we located Wayne Blyth & Dennis Vierra who by passed section 3, using two way radio, they where waiting in the shade a few mi away.

Turning Maki off the tarmac we head down a cinder rd into a tree covered grass rd that ends at a mix of Pahoehoe, chunky a’a’, deep sand and rough fisherman’s 4WD two track for a few miles.

Right in the middle of this nasty terrain, Craig misses a turn going into a dead end deep sandy area, Raif saw Craig turn around, so he stopped short---as Raif and I apart, from farther away, watched Craig bitch-slap-kick his dead KTM into utter forehead on the bars exhaustion three times!

10 min pass--- Craig is still setting, head hanging down with long arm’s hanging from dead shoulders, slumped on the seat, gasping for oxygen molecules, at this point my camera crapped out at the time of a perfect shot.

Anyhow for some reason this always happens> Raif’s thinking in his ‘Irish Guinness beer oxidized brain’; “Mother Mary have mercy! I’ll go help the poor laddie”---stumbling through the a’a’ he just get to Craig and the KTM finely starts! Huh! WTF!--- As he looks skyward, saying Lord, bless me with a ice cold Guinness, is me Midis touch that good?

Craig seeing me waving, pointing to the trail, he pulls up and the bike quits again!

He “death to the Rattle snake stomped” the kick starter into a chest heaving/wheezing lay on the ground in total exhaustion prone position’
Living results of new battery procrastination karma---O’ya his knee popped of joint also in doing the Montana Rattle snake stomp.

The Lau father & son team of, Josh “the wrecker”, & “Mr. fix it” Steve, ride back into the a’a’ trail on their fourth rescue mission of the day (got to love these solid brothers) when wrecker Josh was boot-jump starting Craig’s ho bitch KTM it coughed internally, blowing out the valve cover gasket with lots of white ghost smoke rising---I thought O’shit It gave up the ghost in the worst place ever--- Dr. Steve Magicmotor Lau did major full tank removal surgery on the dead KTM stuffing back in the dangling aneurism blown out valve cover gasket.

---with 30+ Bruce Lee lightning fast kicks, Josh the wrecker, pounds starting sense into the orange KTM bitch on Crag’s nightmare Trail 69 episode, as we made it out of Cape Kumahi’s desolate unforgiving lava zone---at this point it took us near 4 hr to go 15 miles on Rock Roots & Roll Trail 69---my kind of trail……Ya right dude

Suggestions popped up we cancel the Kalapana section and go to Pahoa for gas, and Blanes Drive Inn in Orchid land for food…all nod’s were yea! And down the smooth tarmac we knobby hummed out of the no mans land a’a’ lava fields, headed toward the stacked and packed civilian population. <

I had a bitch slap headache in my piss & shit factory body coming on, but continued on trying to shag it off with Advil’s Tony was packing, (Mahalo! son) as Craig and I blipped air time off every high rocky mound for 4 miles on rough Hawaiian Acres Rd 9 to Robert Texierra’s house riding through his yard in a memory salute lap to Robert da Naked Rider’s one year memorial get together yesterday of about 70 folks with allkine ono grinds, music lidat, was good Brah! Mahalo Robert, next year again Brah!

My pounding headache and Wayne Blyth’s bad leg forced us Medicare race prepped, SS sponsored senior citizens out @ mile 58.

I kicked my own ass on Trail 69 and liked it----------------Ya right dude

The rest of the 8 out of 12 Dual Sport pilot starters continued on to the Upper Waiakea forest area trails.

Mahalo! Lau Brah’s for the help, you guys da best!

~Gasser~

Note> Using his Trials bike, Robert the grunt was the photo opt bitch along trail 69, we may have a BBQ viewing of our vid’s if his cameras didn’t give up the ghost like mine did just shortly into the ride.

Stay tuned folks………….. good shit does happen!

Attached Images

Old 03-10-2010, 01:10 AM   #194
Southest US Thumper
Extreme n00b

Quick Rock Ride Video

Never show up at a ride with a video camera cause everybody pesters you to do a video! Here's a bit of Sunday's action.

&ampnbsp
&ampnbsp

Southest US Thumper screwed with this post 03-10-2010 at 01:22 AM
Old 03-10-2010, 06:50 PM   #195
Idahosam
Set Adrift

Oddometer: 4,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southest US Thumper
Never show up at a ride with a video camera cause everybody pesters you to do a video! Here's a bit of Sunday's action.

&ampnbsp
&ampnbsp

EXCELLENT!! confirmed you guys are nuts

Gasser's monologues keep me spitting beer out my nose...

To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.
Aldous Huxley
Idahosam is offline   Reply With Quote