Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2011, 08:51 AM   #466
Southest US Thumper
Extreme n00b

Oddometer: 1,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideSM View Post
Sorry, the "MAINLAND". Jeez. cut me a break will you?
OK, OK, OK, You deserve a break today, so get up and get away, to Mc.....

My bad, I've been away from home for about 60 days..... and I haven't ridden a dirtbike in 2 1/2 months so I'm kind of edgy....

I'll be back there Tuesday though and will be riding the Mauna Kea 200 with fellow ADVrider Sfront on Saturday and Sunday then I clean up the bike real good and ship it to Germany for a brief (I hope) stint.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:30 PM   #467
stan.riner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southest US Thumper View Post
OK, OK, OK, You deserve a break today, so get up and get away, to Mc.....

My bad, I've been away from home for about 60 days..... and I haven't ridden a dirtbike in 2 1/2 months so I'm kind of edgy....

I'll be back there Tuesday though and will be riding the Mauna Kea 200 with fellow ADVrider Sfront on Saturday and Sunday then I clean up the bike real good and ship it to Germany for a brief (I hope) stint.
I'm also riding the Mauna Kea 200. I'm starting in 2A on a KTM300. Any of you adv'ers that are there be sure to introduce yourselves.

I'm not looking forward to the enduro style. I think the fastest guy should win the race!
My wife is doing it on her KX100. Check out the number plate gas tank with the head light mounted up to it. Looks like something out of Mad Max.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
stan.riner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 11:38 PM   #468
Southest US Thumper
Extreme n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan.riner View Post
I'm also riding the Mauna Kea 200. I'm starting in 2A on a KTM300. Any of you adv'ers that are there be sure to introduce yourselves.

I'm not looking forward to the enduro style. I think the fastest guy should win the race!
My wife is doing it on her KX100. Check out the number plate gas tank with the head light mounted up to it. Looks like something out of Mad Max.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Stan -

Just got in tonight from Germany, 47 hour trip with the unplanned 21 hour sleep in the terminal lay over in Dallas, are you set? If you need logistics help let me know, between my jeep and trailer, Sfront, Gasser, and whoever else on the ADVrider side as well as other friends we can probably pick up your bikes, haul gas cans, etc.

Lemme know!
Old 05-25-2011, 12:21 AM   #469
stan.riner
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Stan -

Just got in tonight from Germany, 47 hour trip with the unplanned 21 hour sleep in the terminal lay over in Dallas, are you set? If you need logistics help let me know, between my jeep and trailer, Sfront, Gasser, and whoever else on the ADVrider side as well as other friends we can probably pick up your bikes, haul gas cans, etc.

Lemme know!
Sucks about the long flight. At least you have a few days to recover.

Thanks for the logistics offer. It's always awesome how helpful the guys on the other islands are. When I did the Kauai Labor Day Hare n' Hound last year, a guy picked up a bunch of our bikes and took them to the race area and then brought them back. He absolutely refused to take even a little bit of $ for gas.

I think we're ok for this one.
We sent Garry's truck with 3 bikes and gear over. I'm picking it up at Hilo Harbor on Friday. We're staying at a house in Keeau. His mom lives over there and house-sits a pretty nice house that we stay in for free.

EMail me your contact info at stan.riner@aes.com. We can hook up at the rider's meeting on Friday night.

Stan
Old 05-28-2011, 08:09 AM   #470
Southest US Thumper
Extreme n00b

0450, Key Time for Us 0823

Did the rider's meeting for this year's 200 yesterday, relatively small turn out, the Semi-Enduro Rules are explained to the Blank Stares all around, this is going to be Epic! Four ADVriders in the crowd a record for the MK200 Sfront from Fl. Stan from Oahu, Gasser the Big Island and meself not sure if we'll get any pics or video but we got 65 miles of slop and logs ahead of us in the "B" Class, Stan gets another 55 thrown in for riding "A"... Lucky Guy!

Sfront's and my Bikes at 0450, the sensible 200XCW is mine the 530cc Beast is Steves, time to Giddy'up Eh!

Old 05-30-2011, 10:49 PM   #471
stan.riner
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Did the rider's meeting for this year's 200 yesterday, relatively small turn out, the Semi-Enduro Rules are explained to the Blank Stares all around, this is going to be Epic! Four ADVriders in the crowd a record for the MK200 Sfront from Fl. Stan from Oahu, Gasser the Big Island and meself not sure if we'll get any pics or video but we got 65 miles of slop and logs ahead of us in the "B" Class, Stan gets another 55 thrown in for riding "A"... Lucky Guy!

Sfront's and my Bikes at 0450, the sensible 200XCW is mine the 530cc Beast is Steves, time to Giddy'up Eh!
It was great meeting everyone.
I got a few already and Gasser is supposed to put more on MK200.com. He's also going to help put a video together. Gasser and another guy were filming in Section 5 in a really gnarly section. Joe Edsmond, Jason Hepa, Rick Seefried, and myself came through it on the gas like a freight train all wheel to wheel. That's going to be awesome footage.
Overall, Saturday's race was really fun. I zero'd out section 6 and I was riding my ass off to do that. It helped that they reused a lot of the early sections.I only had 3 points on Saturday (which was lowest in a points-lost system) but messed up my chance for an overall win on Sunday morning with mechanical issues for my bike and my wife's bike. Joe had 5 on Saturday and ended up winning the overall.

I think I got water in my gas can on Saturday as my bike was running like crap Sunday morning. To add to the challenges, my wife's bike was having issues after I changed the jetting for the higher elevation on the mountain. We were running behind and she seized her bike on Saddle road on the way to the start. I stopped to help her and by then, I couldn't find the starting area and ended up going back and getting the truck to pick her up.
I'm really bummed out because I trained for 5 months and lost 25 lbs to try and do good in this race. Racing's like that though. When you think you have everything covered, something rises up and bites you hard.

I had mud in my eyeball. It was pretty much impossible to wear googles as it was raining almost the whole time. Some of the guys make their own with screen.

I'm happy:

The score board:

More score board (keep in mind, a low number means nothing, it's just order of entry and starting position in a staggered start)

The pits. That is a secondary containment for fueling the bikes. The DLNR (Dept. of Land and Natural Resources, a state agency) is super strict and looks for reasons to shut the race down.

My friend Garry getting washed off. The DLNR (mentioned above) required the race organizers to wash off all of the bikes to prevent the spread of invasive species. What's funny is that those guys use four wheelers to get around the various areas. I wonder if they wash them before they move them from one area to another?

My wife Christina. She rode really good. Several guys came up to me afterwards and commented on her riding. I'm really proud of her for persevering. She ran out of gas after having problems with the aux tank hose coming off. She even put the hose back on and turned the bike upside down to get some gas in the main tank so she could try to get going. She was in the trail for so long that she ran out of water. She then hung a poncho up and caught rain water so she could eat some electrolyte tablets! Hard core!

stan.riner screwed with this post 05-30-2011 at 11:48 PM Reason: it's a "low" number that means nothing, not a "high"
Old 05-30-2011, 11:15 PM   #472
Andyinhilo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,490
Quote:

My friend Garry getting washed off. The DLNR (mentioned above) required the race organizers to wash off all of the bikes to prevent the spread of invasive species. What's funny is that those guys use four wheelers to get around the various areas. I wonder if they wash them before they move them from one area to another?
Yes, Stan, we are required to wash our ATVs down just like everyone else. Also other equipment as well. As a DLNR Enforcement Officer, I am always interested in violations if you happen to have information.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."J. Cooper
Andyinhilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 11:29 PM   #473
stan.riner
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyinhilo View Post
Yes, Stan, we are required to wash our ATVs down just like everyone else. Also other equipment as well. As a DLNR Enforcement Officer, I am always interested in violations if you happen to have information.
Thanks for posting up that bit of info.

I didn't mean to come off as an a-hole. It's just that there's a bunch of inconsistency amongst the different islands and even with the different users. Case in point, the super ferry had super strict rules with wash stations (I heard, never got to ride it to see for myself) but no one is required to do anything if you take your vehicle to Young Brothers to ship it interisland. As a state employee, I'm sure you have to deal with bureaucracy all the time and it's probably not fun.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:07 AM   #474
Andyinhilo
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Thanks for posting up that bit of info.

I didn't mean to come off as an a-hole. It's just that there's a bunch of inconsistency amongst the different islands and even with the different users. Case in point, the super ferry had super strict rules with wash stations (I heard, never got to ride it to see for myself) but no one is required to do anything if you take your vehicle to Young Brothers to ship it interisland. As a state employee, I'm sure you have to deal with bureaucracy all the time and it's probably not fun.
I did not mean to imply you were being other than legitimately curious by wondering. I posted my response and request for info, because I feel that it is the right thing to do.

Nope, the bureaucracy is no fun at all. using the s-ferry as an example, our agency got numerous complaints of resource theft/illegal transportation, more or less blaming the ferry. Nobody ever questions what might be in a closed shipping container on YB or the airlines, and we almost never get information about illegal resource transport via those methods. I suspect those restrictions were suggested by the "ferry foes" who were ultimately successful in regulating a viable business out of existence.

Some rules have a valid reason for being, but are next to impossible to enforce. Does anyone check, or even require, Joe ATV/Dirtbike for washing at the ATV/Bike park when he just happens to leave (can you say discrimination)? What about the pig hunter's jeep? Or do something to stop invasive plants being spread by bird shit?

We have, however had equipment vandalized and stolen when it could not be moved in a timely manner due to unavailability of a water truck to wash it down as per the rules.

However, if we at DLNR promulgate rules and expect you guys to follow them, then we of DLNR should follow them too.

Mahalo, Andy
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."J. Cooper
Old 05-31-2011, 08:32 AM   #475
Southest US Thumper
Extreme n00b

Quote:
My wife Christina. She rode really good. Several guys came up to me afterwards and commented on her riding. I'm really proud of her for persevering. She ran out of gas after having problems with the aux tank hose coming off. She even put the hose back on and turned the bike upside down to get some gas in the main tank so she could try to get going. She was in the trail for so long that she ran out of water. She then hung a poncho up and caught rain water so she could eat some electrolyte tablets! Hard core!

Awesome! I was talking to Christina at the finish Saturday and she mentioned the fuel tank drama, she told me that it was a good reason for you to get her a new bike, maybe a 150XC? She didn't mention the Survivor woMan episode though, that's pretty hardcore!!! Hats off to all the girls that rode, they really kicked butt.

My plan was to mount my GoPro during the second Gas Stop but I snapped the mount off in an earlier section when I didn't duck low enough to clear a tree so I didn't get any footage, Steve said he got some and will post it up when he get's back home.

I went halfway around the Mountain on Sunday before I finally got my rhythm, I was pinging off of rocks left and right, and since I was starting in the back got hammered by rocks from a couple of the ATVs as they went by. I finally pulled it together and my bike got stuck in 3rd gear, I wasn't carrying tools so I didn't check it until the finish and when I put my hand on it the bolt fell out, Good Times!

As far as the "Rules", Andy's the poor guy that has to make sense of them and enforce them to the point that they would hold up in court, fortunately the Hilo DOCARE enforcement guys are pretty Akamai. Most of the Rock Island Riders have the officer's phone numbers and when we see stupid stuff taking place out in the trails give them a call, nobody likes to rat out another rider but none of us want those guys to screw it up for the rest of us. He's also a former road racer and MX'er, this is the first year in some time I didn't see him at the race.

I'm still sore, I guess my 2 1/2 month routine of Biking, Push-ups, Crunches, German Beer and Food didn't prepare all of the muscle groups well enough.... Time to start planning 2012!
Old 05-31-2011, 09:23 AM   #476
Andyinhilo
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Awesome! I was talking to Christina at the finish Saturday and she mentioned the fuel tank drama, she told me that it was a good reason for you to get her a new bike, maybe a 150XC? She didn't mention the Survivor woMan episode though, that's pretty hardcore!!! Hats off to all the girls that rode, they really kicked butt.

My plan was to mount my GoPro during the second Gas Stop but I snapped the mount off in an earlier section when I didn't duck low enough to clear a tree so I didn't get any footage, Steve said he got some and will post it up when he get's back home.

I went halfway around the Mountain on Sunday before I finally got my rhythm, I was pinging off of rocks left and right, and since I was starting in the back got hammered by rocks from a couple of the ATVs as they went by. I finally pulled it together and my bike got stuck in 3rd gear, I wasn't carrying tools so I didn't check it until the finish and when I put my hand on it the bolt fell out, Good Times!

As far as the "Rules", Andy's the poor guy that has to make sense of them and enforce them to the point that they would hold up in court, fortunately the Hilo DOCARE enforcement guys are pretty Akamai. Most of the Rock Island Riders have the officer's phone numbers and when we see stupid stuff taking place out in the trails give them a call, nobody likes to rat out another rider but none of us want those guys to screw it up for the rest of us. He's also a former road racer and MX'er, this is the first year in some time I didn't see him at the race.

I'm still sore, I guess my 2 1/2 month routine of Biking, Push-ups, Crunches, German Beer and Food didn't prepare all of the muscle groups well enough.... Time to start planning 2012!
Thanks for the kind wods Robert! I was not looking to get riders to rat on one another, more looking to let people know that DLNR is not above compliance with their own rules, and let the folks know that we want to know when we (DLNR) have problems to be dealt with.

Sorry I missed the event, but we had to ride herd on the Hilo Pow-Wow at Wailoa State Park. Maybe next year.

You know you will never be ready for the mountain.
Old 05-31-2011, 01:10 PM   #477
stan.riner
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyinhilo View Post
Hilo Pow-Wow at Wailoa State Park.
That reminds me.

Two firsts for me in Hawaii

I went to the Pow Wow on Monday

I'm from Oklahoma and never went to a Pow Wow so it's pretty amazing that I got to attend one here. And I'm part Injun too.

The other first is that I saw hail on Sunday! A rain storm came in and it started hailing. I was tripping on that one.
Old 05-31-2011, 05:39 PM   #478
Southest US Thumper
Extreme n00b

Two shots I got Saturday one from the parking lot where everybody was wishing it was 0800 so they could get away from Ed's Bullhorn and the constant "The Gas Truck is Leaving" announcements! The guy drinking the powerdrink (most likely Corona) is Justin A.K.A. the Sandbagger, he smoked the B's to the point of smoking some of the A's thanks in part to the way being cleared by Garry and the others on the 21 rows in front one of which included his Mother.

This one I think is at CP 4 the first Gas Stop, those are the Killer B's Justin (M), Dave (R), and on the Left a Navy P-3 Crewman from Oahu that was flat out ripping until he stopped to help a buddy un-drowned his bike, cool kid, he deploys (again) in a couple of weeks. The lady up front in the hat is Laura, her father Paul "Pops" Jensen organized the first event in 1976 and she's been a "Gas Girl" ever since, it's folks like her and the other volunteers that have kept the event going near continuosly ever since, 1984 was cancelled due to the Mauna Loa erupting and cutting off the course to Mauna Kea.

Oh yeah, then on Monday they had a reunion for the oldtime/longtime participants, the Deutsche Post girls were all there to honor them....

Southest US Thumper screwed with this post 05-31-2011 at 05:44 PM Reason: To BS a little...
Southest US Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:41 PM   #479
Southest US Thumper
Extreme n00b

Free Stuff for Showing Up

A bunch of Stuff donated by various Sponsors was given away Sunday, riding had been done for an hour or four and the crowd was getting restless.... Justin's mom scores a hat!

Old 06-02-2011, 11:51 PM   #480
Gasser
Control crash rider

Oddometer: 140
May 26-27th Mauna Kea 200

Aloha Dudes and all beautiful MK200 Women riders

I was talkn' story with Dennis, Wayne, and Ed, the real men who bust their okoli's every weekend and some days during the week putting on this world class motorcycle event, as we are already planning the next 2012 Mauna Kea 200.

The Rock Island Riders will offer you riders new challenges above and beyond your imagination, cuz were go'na use our creative trail making energy to give you riders your money/time worth, don't worry we will make it all "Joe Edsman" Superman/woman makeable with a few breaths and muscle movement and one sip of water left before check one...world class enduro ride Brah!

Make sure you order your sky hook and new Helium Mud/root/lava rock Grip flat proof tubeless tires to guarantee you make it to check two...also make sure you have a titanium mini chain saw that folds up into a fanny pack that will be needed for our killer log sections.

I felt sorry for the riders this year that did not have a trick suspension setup, so I will personally O'O' bar out all rocks and rake the trails clean plus remove all big "slam down" Boa sized Albiza roots just for your personal comfort...it's called the "go the extra mile Hawaiian Aloha Spirit"...just ask Robert the grunt...no bulli Brah!...also next year we will put in triple jumps before each check just for you MX riders that mentioned it was a "pussy ride" for that adrenalin rush to make sure you guy's and gal's stay pumped up for the pond's section that Wayne said he will have extra over the seat water pumped in for the video guy's to get some good drown out segments shots for Utube posting.

Next year there will be no gas truck, you will be required to jog down to Hilo town with a five gal can and get your own gas without houring out, same for water, although you can sip on brown radioactive trail pond water if needed, there will be no penalty points acquired for that hydration supplement.

To save money so the Rock Island Riders can put on this race next year, riders will have to make do with their own brown bag tail gate lunches, as always we will provide trash bags, also there will be blue and red nose Pit Bull's provided to grind uneaten scraps to keep the pits clean...warning! hand feeding is not recommended.

We were thinking of watering down the second day's R1 Mauna Kea Mountain section to keep down the dust but we we decided the extra $500 per rider entry fee may raise eyebrows and DNLR may disapprove of unwanted bacteria in the water on Mauna Kea...to many glitches involved for that Aloha Spirit go the extra mile effort, so we scraped that beer induced brain stormed idea, I recommend waring a Filter Skin over your face to filter out the lung coating silt.

So bottom line is; come lava flow, earthquake or tsunami, the Rock Island Riders will be there for you Memorial Day 26-27th 2012.

Always remember, a military service man/women fought to give us freedom to ride/race motorcycles in this day and age.

~Gasser~
Go faster than the crash don't kiss the ground!