Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-01-2011, 10:31 PM   #496
Southest US Thumper
Extreme n00b

Oddometer: 1,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinsonk View Post
On the other hand, there are so many "Sky-Jacked" and lifted trucks with tires way out passed the fender wells...I though those would have been picked on first. Or the lowered cars/trucks where the axles are dropped but the wheel are now way off camber, some by more than 15 degrees. Maybe it's just selective enforcement.

Ken
Willie -

There are laws targeting the Sky-Jackers, there even is a "Hotline" that you can call and pass a license plate number to if you see one and have nothing better to do but dime somebody out. To protect themselves the folks that operate "Safety Inspection" Stations write down the tire size on the inspection sheet when you come in for your annual inspection since they cannot pass a vehicle with oversize tires and it's not uncommon to switch back to stock wheels for a safety inspection.

On the neighbor islands plating an off-road bike was always a relatively easy, semi pricey (Baja Kit, Insurance, DOT Tires, etc.) process though there was a moratorium back in '05 or '06 for a while. The custom bike builders fought against that one since it impacted their business, who's going to buy a $50K+ bike you can't ride on the street. The guys on Oahu had it a bit rougher because there was only one Inspection Station for "Reconstruction" Permits and the guy working it was a control freak or something and knew it was his way or the highway. The rumor back in '08/'09 (on Supermoto Junkie at least) was that the PoPo were not happy with the plating of Pit Bikes since they are so small other traffic might not see them coming.

All this has done is made our sport more expensive since buying on the mailand and shipping will likely add $500.00 + just to get the bike to Hawaii....

Hawaii is home but I often think of the 50th State as a third world country with modern conveniences...
Old 07-03-2011, 11:45 AM   #497
stan.riner
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasser View Post

"Factory closed course MX race/enduro bikes can no longer be street legalized with Baja or any other DIY kits".
Hey Gasser,
This really sucks.

I searched for something official from the state about this issue. Can you share where you saw this?
stan.riner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 09:31 PM   #498
Gasser
Control crash rider

Oddometer: 140
The new Hawaii law!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan.riner View Post
Hey Gasser,
This really sucks.

I searched for something official from the state about this issue. Can you share where you saw this?
Yo Stan mah-man

Sorry for getting back to you late, I been busy cutting new dual sport trail sections and just wiped out when I get home.

What your looking for is> Legislative bill> SB # 1325 S.D.1 and S.D.2 section 286-2.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:34 AM   #499
Southest US Thumper
Extreme n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gasser View Post
Yo Stan mah-man

Sorry for getting back to you late, I been busy cutting new dual sport trail sections and just wiped out when I get home.

What your looking for is> Legislative bill> SB # 1325 S.D.1 and S.D.2 section 286-2.
There are also some links at the MK200 website, http://mk200.com/ , damm shame.... Good news is that the RIR's are probably going to ditch the plated requirement for future events which I guess means pushing across the public roads, no big deal there!
Old 07-07-2011, 03:43 PM   #500
sfront
Chaos in Motion

Oddometer: 935
Unless of course your bike is legal to begin with!
Just sayin.......

STEVE

So what if it was short....I still had a great time!!!
sfront is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:19 AM   #501
Southest US Thumper
Extreme n00b

Another MK200 Video

Here's one from parts of the first three sections in the Forest, there's another from the Mountain but it can't be viewed from Germany. It was a crystal clear day up there so I imagine it's pretty scenic.

Old 07-13-2011, 05:21 AM   #502
sfront
Chaos in Motion

Day II MK video is pretty good!
You even make an appearance in it!
Say hi to K & O for us!

STEVE

Old 07-13-2011, 08:03 AM   #503
Southest US Thumper
Extreme n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfront View Post
Day II MK video is pretty good!
You even make an appearance in it!
Say hi to K & O for us!
Probably picking up my bike at the bottom of the Big Switchback..... I wonder why it's blocked in DE, probably a sound track issue.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:05 PM   #504
sfront
Chaos in Motion

I wonder if you can see it here if its embedded........

STEVE

Old 08-04-2011, 06:50 AM   #505
fuggy
Canyon Explorer

Oddometer: 661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southest US Thumper View Post
Here's one from parts of the first three sections in the Forest, there's another from the Mountain but it can't be viewed from Germany. It was a crystal clear day up there so I imagine it's pretty scenic.

Thanks for the vid! That was fun terrain to watch let alone ride!
Old 08-06-2011, 07:16 AM   #506
Southest US Thumper
Extreme n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuggy View Post
Thanks for the vid! That was fun terrain to watch let alone ride!
It's definitely a great place to ride, kinda missing that aspect of home...

Here's a complilation of video a friend's son shot in the forest: http://www.youtube.com/user/HiloThumper?feature=mhee
Old 08-10-2011, 05:28 PM   #507
MurphCO
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 364
Get on google maps and find Tantalus and Roundtop roads, they are on the mountainside north of Waikiki, there is some gnarly stuff up there to have fun on

Unfortunately kolekole pass is pretty much closed now, unless you are currently or former military with an ID card.....even then I was told its hit and miss on them letting vehicles on it anymore

If anyone tells you that you can't get around Kaena Point they are full of shit, I approached from the North Shore side near Dillingham a few months ago on a rental Harley sportster and made it about half way......only stopped because I didn't want to get stuck with a street bike, anything halfway dirt with clearance could have made it

Aloha
Old 08-10-2011, 07:00 PM   #508
wilkinsonk
Riff Raff

Oddometer: 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphCO View Post
Get on google maps and find Tantalus and Roundtop roads, they are on the mountainside north of Waikiki, there is some gnarly stuff up there to have fun on

Unfortunately kolekole pass is pretty much closed now, unless you are currently or former military with an ID card.....even then I was told its hit and miss on them letting vehicles on it anymore

If anyone tells you that you can't get around Kaena Point they are full of shit, I approached from the North Shore side near Dillingham a few months ago on a rental Harley sportster and made it about half way......only stopped because I didn't want to get stuck with a street bike, anything halfway dirt with clearance could have made it

Aloha
Watch out for crazies, rice mobiles and cops on Tantalus. Great curves, but everyone else thinks so too.

Kole Kole is open to ID holders in the morning and afternoon, but that is always subject to change. The fun part of that pass is from the Waianae side anyway. Do not believe the BS that everyone will tell you about that part of the island. Be cool, respect the locals, and generally do not act like an entitled ass-wipe and you might actually meet some nice people.

Re: Kaena Point. DO NOT even try going past the gate at the end of the road. The last few hundred yards of the Point are a wildlife sanctuary. There's an endangered albatross that nets there. You won't get near the resting Hawaiian Monk seals, but hey. Beside, even if you were able to somehow get your bike past the gate from the Dillingham side, the road is washed out at one point on the Waianae side.

Enjoy your stay,
Ken
wilkinsonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 08:17 PM   #509
Southest US Thumper
Extreme n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinsonk View Post

re: Kaena point. Do not even try going past the gate at the end of the road. The last few hundred yards of the point are a wildlife sanctuary.

Enjoy your stay,
ken
+1
Old 08-11-2011, 12:43 PM   #510
MurphCO
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 364
Quote:
Re: Kaena Point. DO NOT even try going past the gate at the end of the road. The last few hundred yards of the Point are a wildlife sanctuary. There's an endangered albatross that nets there. You won't get near the resting Hawaiian Monk seals, but hey. Beside, even if you were able to somehow get your bike past the gate from the Dillingham side, the road is washed out at one point on the Waianae side.
well, there is THAT