Big Bamboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 08:43 PM   #812
Gasser
Control crash rider

Oddometer: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need For Speed View Post
Favorite pic of the trip

Aloha Gary, Ya that's a good "been there road that" that photo.

It would be cool if you could come over Memorial Day weekend for the three day Rock Island Riders GPS Mauna Kea 400 Dual Sport Rally, Jason said he’s going to ride it, team up with him.
Old 01-29-2014, 09:04 PM   #813
Gasser
Control crash rider

[IMG][/IMG]

More info to follow in time as Wayne gets creative with his GPS Rally map making.
Old 01-30-2014, 04:35 PM   #814
Gasser
Control crash rider

The evolution of acquiring motorcycle parts and aging

You are in the middle of freshening up your MX motorcycle in your shop: doing a top end job, putting in a new piston and rings. You are hot and sweaty, covered in grease, dirt and stink of solvents.

You have your old shop clothes on. You know the outfit -- surfer shorts with the hole in the crotch, old 1985 Mauna Kea 200 Rider T-shirt with stains from benchracen' beer spills, and having two deferent sizes of slaps on.

Right in the middle of this rebuild project you realize you need to run to Kiser Motorcycle's for parts. Depending on your age you might do the following:

In your 20s: Stop what you are doing. Shit shower & shave, blow dry your thick hair, brush your teeth, floss and put on clean clothes. Check yourself in the mirror and flex. Add a dab of your favorite cologne because, you never know, you just might score with one of the hottie parts girls that work there.

And yes, you once went to school with the pretty girl that worked at the local BSA dealership parts counter and she had a crush on you.

In your 30s: Stop what you are doing, put on clean surfer shorts and newly won first overall MK200 T-shirt. Change your slaps to Nike shoes. You married a hottie motorcycle loving honey, so no need for much else. Wash your grimy two stroke oily hands and comb you're thinning hair. Check yourself in the mirror. Still got it dude. Add a shot of your favorite cologne to cover the Castor oil two stroke smell. The cute foxy girl running the parts counter is the kid sister of someone you Motocrossed and off road raced with.

In your 40s: Stop what you are doing. Put on a faded Mauna Kea 200 T-shirt from many years back that is long enough to cover the hole in the crotch of your surfer shorts. Put on SIDI Motard boots and a MSR hat to cover your balding head. Wash your beat out wernching calloused hands. Your bottle of Brute is almost empty, so don't waste any of it on a trip to Kiser's. Check yourself in the mirror and do more stomach sucking in than muscle flexing. The hot young thing behind the parts counter is your daughter's age and you feel weird about thinking she's a hot hooter motorcycle parts chick you once lusted after.

In your 50s: Stop what you are doing. Put on a hat to cover the few hairs on your bald head. Wipe the grease off your hands onto your last good white Mauna Kea 200 finishers T-shirt.
Change your worn out greasy slaps because you don't want to get your new jacked up 4WD Dodge dully rugs dirty. Check yourself in the mirror and swear not to wear that mildew rotted MK 200 T-shirt anymore because it magnifies your benchracen’ beer gut. The cutie behind the Kiser parts counter smiles when she sees you coming and you think you still have it. Then you remember -- the hat you have on is from Hilo Suzuki, and you began benchrace apologizing like a total Kauai Hare & Hound wannabe ass.

In your 60s: Stop what you are doing. No need for a bald head hat any more. Ware your greasy blown out duct taped slaps. The ego mirror was shattered when a jet needle clip flipped off and hit it when you were in your 50s. You hope the dirty underwear you have on holds your scrotum in so nothing hangs out the hole in your well used North Shore surfer shorts. The new "all out age" pierced tattooed hottie running the Kiser parts counter may be cute but you don't have your trifocal glasses on, so you're not sure.

In your 70s: Stop what you are doing. Wait to go to Kiser motorcycles until the drug store has your 20 prescriptions ready. Don't even notice the heels are worn gone on your Chinese Wall*Mart slaps. The new young scantly clad low tank top cleavage exposing hottie in Daisy Dukes at the parts counter stares at you and sez, "holy shit old man, your still riding?".

In your 80s: Stop what you are doing. Start again. Then stop again. Now you remember you need to go to Kiser’s for new track day tires and a mental hottie fix, but have that pit stop senior moment, and go to Al's MotoWurk's instead and end up drinkn’ beer with old Mr. Budlite and start bullshit benchracen’ the rest of the day away. You wander around trying to remember who’s beer cooler you are looking for. Then you trusted a fart, and it was a loud stinky gasser, and thought someone called your name.

In your 90s & beyond: You say screw this getting old shit and go back to Kiser Motorcycle’s and see their new knockout looking bikini clad sales babe, buy the baddest fastest production racing super bike with license plates that Honda makes and go out and rip around the Big Island every day and live happily ever after...got to love them hottie parts and sales chicks, the’ll keep ya up and runin’.
~Gasser~

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 01-30-2014, 10:20 PM   #815
Southest US Thumper
Extreme n00b

Oddometer: 2,034

Dude,

I'm guessing that Hottie totally sold you on the Kiser Fender Graphics, that wasn't on your bike last time we rode!!! Quit thinking with your Little Head and concentrate on what you went there for Ma Man!
Old 02-02-2014, 02:24 AM   #816
Gasser
Control crash rider

Dude,

I'm guessing that Hottie totally sold you on the Kiser Fender Graphics, that wasn't on your bike last time we rode!!! Quit thinking with your Little Head and concentrate on what you went there for Ma Man![/QUOTE]

Shootz I went there for pussy parts and all I got was a stinkin’ decal...go figg’a brah! WTF.
Old 02-04-2014, 06:49 AM   #817
OneZero
TGT of Opportunity

Oddometer: 300
New to the thread

Hey everyone,
I'm going to PCS to Schofield Barracks in June and I own a 1200 GS. I've been riding dirt bikes since I was 5 y/o and I still love getting off road but, from what I've read on here, Oahu doesn't seem to have much dirt riding. Is it even worth bringing the GS? I'm contemplating selling it and buying a smaller bike before I fly out with the family. Any opinions would be much appreciated! Thanks
Old 02-04-2014, 07:31 AM   #818
Southest US Thumper
Extreme n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneZero View Post
Hey everyone,
I'm going to PCS to Schofield Barracks in June and I own a 1200 GS. I've been riding dirt bikes since I was 5 y/o and I still love getting off road but, from what I've read on here, Oahu doesn't seem to have much dirt riding. Is it even worth bringing the GS? I'm contemplating selling it and buying a smaller bike before I fly out with the family. Any opinions would be much appreciated! Thanks
I know folks that trail ride every week over there and never get bored, the Kahuku track and trails are actually on Army property and are susceptible to closure because training takes precedence. There are some other places but those are limited access. You probably have a better market for selling on the mainland, there's an inmate a couple of pages back, ToySldr, that was looking for a GS, pm him maybe you can work something out?

I guess you're inbound to 2-11 or 3-7 FAR after graduating ILE look me up when you come to PTA, because you will be coming to PTA.....
Old 02-04-2014, 12:06 PM   #819
OneZero
TGT of Opportunity

Sounds good. I haven't made the decision on the GS yet, but it's still my dream bike so it'll be hard to sell if that time comes.
Old 02-04-2014, 05:27 PM   #820
wilkinsonk
Riff Raff

Oddometer: 644
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneZero View Post
Hey everyone,
Speaking from experience on Oahu, the GS may be okay for getting back and forth to work to Schofield if you decide to live off post, otherwise the island is too small and traffic too slow to get any real enjoyment from a bike like that. I had the poor man's version (KLR650) and rode the perimeter of the island on occasion, but that can be agonizingly slow unless you go very early on a weekend morning.

I even took this bike to Kahuku a few times and rode the trails. Quickly realized that I need a real dirt bike and bought a WR450. Ideally I would have gotten a KTM 250 or 300 or a YZ250 and done some woods mods to make it more suited to the terrain. There's nothing like being almost at the top of the hill on a 650 and having it fall over on top of you, pure awesomeness.

If I was in your shoes (or soon to be slippas) I would sell the GS and buy a small displacement dirt bike before going over. With the left over money you will want to buy at least one surf board or a fishing kayak (trust me on this, I have paddled around the entire island of Oahu (almost, never paddled the stretch outside K-bay) and would take that experience over piloting a GS on H1, 2, 3, etc any day. Besides, you won't be doing any "Long Way Round" excursions while your there.

- Ken
wilkinsonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 10:33 PM   #821
Southest US Thumper
Extreme n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinsonk View Post
With the left over money you will want to buy at least one surf board or a fishing kayak (trust me on this, I have paddled around the entire island of Oahu (almost, never paddled the stretch outside K-bay) and would take that experience over piloting a GS on H1, 2, 3, etc any day.
- Ken
Sage advice Kenny.

As far as Kayaking goes, I've done everything on the Big Island minus Pohoiki to Punaluu, there just isn't any place to pull in there other than Apua Pt. or Halape if you have an emergency. You need to hit that stretch when there are Kona or dead winds.

When commuting to / working on Oahu I paddled a Kayak every day, Kaneohe Bay was a favorite fishing destination, in and around Hickam / Pearl was a regular spot too because it was close to work at Ft. Shafter.

1-0, The opportunities for outdoor adventure are endless, you just need to leave the house!
Old 02-05-2014, 11:28 AM   #822
wilkinsonk
Riff Raff

Oddometer: 644
Favorite haunts

I would typically park at the Pililaau Recreation Center, leave a note with the lifeguards and paddle south towards Barbers or north towards Kaena. I was on good terms with the lifeguards and they would look out for my return as I shared any catch. I always carried a cell, HF radio and an PLB since I liked to fish the current line (sometimes 3-4 miles off). If the trades were particularly strong I would stay inside the lee of the Waianae or go inside K-bay. Northshore was also nice if the trades were up too much. Always tried to go very early in the morning and be back in before the winds picked up too much. In retrospect, not the smartest thing to do by yourself but that's why I carried the comms equipment. I always listened to the HF as the dolphin/whale boats were always chatting about bird piles (i.e. fish). Of all the places I have lived I miss Oahu and Olympia, WA the most. The outdoor opportunities in those two places were awesome.
wilkinsonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 06:15 PM   #823
OneZero
TGT of Opportunity

Decisions, decisions!!
Old 02-12-2014, 05:15 PM   #824
Gasser
Control crash rider

New Rock Island Rider GPS 400 poster.
Who on ADV is going to ride this event?

Getting some of my Pro A rider sections ready for the Rally event.
Remember these sections will be options to ride for high points or pass to get lesser points on street sections that you have to go to two or more different places to match the points of the one gnarly off road section.

Day one will circumvent Mauna Loa on the Highway with optional roads and off road trails to score points, day two is the same but circumventing Mauna Kea with optional off road trails.

The top of Mauna Kea 13,760 elev, and Mauna Loa @ 11,000 elev. will be options also...points sections will be to the degree of difficulty.

You will have all the options to fit you're riding skills to make this a real fun. Rally.

Any type of Motorcycle can ride this Rally from 1200cc to 200cc....if its got Lci plates you can enter this event.

This is a Bucket list ride for sure for you old timers that want to get in a good fun holo holo ride without bustin’ your okole, and for the "go for it riders” of past you can dial into what ever you can handle and drink beer after with benchracing bragging rights...Just do it!~~Ride now! die happy you did later~

Ride requirements~~

Plated legal motorcycles only!
Team of two or more. (there will be no sweep riders) you will cover your team mates.

Must have GPS unit to down load course map to follow.
Must have Cell Phone to call if you need chase truck assistance.

Tips> Garmin GPS or Trail Tech Voyager GPS units are recommended, being water proof and handle bar mountable.

Cell phone GPS may not work in some area's and are not water proof.

[IMG][/IMG]

Gasser screwed with this post 02-12-2014 at 05:46 PM
Gasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2014, 10:45 PM   #825
Gasser
Control crash rider

Follow my line~~~~~~~~~~~>>>>

Dual Sport gnarly huntin’... banging' off combustion chamber rounds...lookin’ for a shot at the impossible trails for Beer & BBQ benchracing talk stories.

Click on that blue square for video.

Gasser screwed with this post 02-14-2014 at 10:53 PM
Gasser is offline   Reply With Quote