Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2014, 12:20 PM   #841
hiADV
Island Explorer

Oddometer: 124
Sorry, I'm too lazy to repost all the pics but here's a link to pics from Fridays guided tour around the mountain. Crystal clear most of the day!

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...3#post23707203
hiADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 07:43 PM   #842
Southest US Thumper
Extreme n00b

Oddometer: 2,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiADV View Post
Sorry, I'm too lazy to repost all the pics but here's a link to pics from Fridays guided tour around the mountain. Crystal clear most of the day!

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...3#post23707203
Dem's some sweet pics!!!!
Old 04-02-2014, 06:55 AM   #843
Southest US Thumper
Extreme n00b

Oddometer: 2,007
Kahuku Trails

I haven't ridden on the Kahuku trails since '76 when I used to flatten the down pipe on my CR125 Elsinore on a regular basis, it's 6 1/2 RPM wide powerband wasn't very effective at coming around a sharp corner and jamming a steep uphill. So after much peer pressure, name calling and ridicule, I jumped at the chance to do a poker run on Oahu last week, we shipped four Beta 300s, two CR250Rs and two 200XC-Ws over from the Big Island.

Saturday morning we rode trails for about three hours just having fun an reacquainting ourselves with the area, all I recognized was the Moto track the trails were pure dinosaur land to me. The high ground was dry and the gulches and streams were deeply rutted, rooty, rocky and slippery, definite trial tire country. We left our bikes with some friends camping at the track and headed down to the beach house for a killer BBQ and relaxation, by 8:00 pm it was dumping rain, oh boy here we go....

Sunday was brutal, super steep and slippery Up and Down hills, serious bottle necks after I missed a turn and had to loop back around to the beginning of that section, cramps in the hands and stomach at the four hour mark, and ready to Tap Out after Check 24 which was marked "Last Check". Asked a Oahu guy if he knew how to get back to the parking area and he said "N'ah brah, mo bettah you stay on da course." So instead of giving in to my inner mahu I slugged it out with him collected the actual last Check turned em in on time and collected $80.00 at the awards ceremony!

I had a fantastic time the Oahu crew is super friendly and since it was a Poker Run nobody was too agro at bottle necks, in the end three of the Big Islanders went home with an extra $80.00. Not too shabby since they only paid out 10 spots and there were over 150 in B Class, D'as how Brah!

No real pictures or video taken, here's Ben on Saturday climbing out of a streambed:

And Gary rolling his chain back on after a rock derailed it in another stream bed, the astute Hawaii thread follower will recognize Gary as the overheated Husky rider from the 2010 MK200 Make Up DS Ride at least this time he broke down on his own island.... Majority of us popped up over and down the boulder to his left rear, he elected to through a deep water hole, local knowledge I suppose, he also switched to a Trial tire before Sunday, Big Island knowledge...

Southest US Thumper screwed with this post 04-02-2014 at 07:08 AM
Southest US Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 04:08 PM   #844
Poseidon
Token Indian

Oddometer: 604
Looks like a bunch of fun, I've got cruise this thread to see any local riders.

[x_t=x_0(1+r)^t] can sum times be your friend.

Quote:
Spiritual matters should be private.

Poseidon screwed with this post 10-11-2014 at 10:52 PM
Poseidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2014, 09:16 PM   #845
ToySldr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
I finally got my 2014 Olive R1200GSA out here on Oahu, I think I'm the only one on the island with that color.
ToySldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 04:21 PM   #846
PittsDriver
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Maui/Halakala Rides

We did the Haleakala dirt bike ride last Thursday and here's a bit of the video from that ride. The first movie is a iMovie trailer that I threw together in about 20 minutes. The second shows pretty much the whole ride up from when the road turned to dirt until we hit a locked gate. We probably could have gotten around the gate but we didn't and later found out that it's probably a good thing that we turned around where we did. Beyond that point is a summit ridge trail that leads up to the military observatories and we're told that apparently they have no sense of humor about knuckleheads showing up at their door on dirt bikes. At the end of the movie, we're at 8,100' elevation according to my MotionX GPS tracker.

Here's the trailer:

Moto Maui - YouTube

and here's the long version:

Haleakala Poli Park Ride - YouTube

It was supposed to be a guided tour but the guide never found us again until about lunch time :) When we told him where we'd gone his reply was "Yeah, we don't take people up there anymore. It's a little too challenging for novice dirt riders." The hills were a bit steep and the only real problem was that is would go from being hard packed to big rocks or soft deep cinders. Front end washing out was the main danger on the soft stuff since my bike had only adventure bike tires while the 250s had knobs. I took the KLR 650 on this ride to see how hard it was to handle on jeep trails. I haven't ridden in the dirt since my teens (about 40 years ago) and the guy in front if me most of the ride was the Mid-Atlantic AMA 250 motox champ in his teens (also about 30 years ago). We had a blast.

Wes
PittsDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 06:51 AM   #847
motogon
Like wind

Oddometer: 1,012
Good job Wes! How long was the ride?

motogon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 07:30 PM   #848
dirtsurfer
Challenged Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,670
Local Knowledge

Hi Guys
It looks like I will be visiting Hawai'i again with my wife this November and would like to get at least one decent Ride in . The Hana Hwy loop looks good . Is it doable in a day 2up?
Do you have any recommendations for bike rental companies?
Any tips?

Cheers

Max
Old 09-02-2014, 08:36 PM   #849
Birdmove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,604
We have done the road to Hana most of our trips to Maui. Are you talking riding to Hana, spending the night, and returning the next day? That should be easily doable, and a really nice trip.
Birdmove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 10:12 PM   #850
mommer
bring on the world!!!!

Oddometer: 1,959
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtsurfer View Post
Hi Guys
It looks like I will be visiting Hawai'i again with my wife this November and would like to get at least one decent Ride in . The Hana Hwy loop looks good . Is it doable in a day 2up?
Do you have any recommendations for bike rental companies?
Any tips?

Cheers

Max
maui moto adventures rents out klr's, and yes you can make the hana loop in a day... won't get to explore too many side roads, but you can make it! dirt for about 2 miles on past hana
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/g...UkefvUtpvQzqzl
mommer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2014, 06:54 PM   #851
Shaggie
Unseen University

Oddometer: 2,574
Hawai'i advice for a Kiwi please! :-)

Hi there Hawai'i inmates!!

Am looking for a bit of advice!

Shaggie, ShaggieWife and ShaggieSon are visiting your fair isles for a wedding in October!!

I have been to Hawaii once way WAY back in the 90's but SW and SS have never been and as you can imagine everyone (Esp SS aged 13!!) is very excited........

did I say excited?????

anyhoo, the weddings on Maui (where none of us have been so that's cool in itself!) where we will spend 4 days and then to Honolulu for 4 days......

The reason for my enquiry is, one of the four days we're in HNL, I'd like to hire a car and do the loop of the island....

Thing is, I'd LOVE to hire a Camaro SS convertible as a surprise for SS (Jackson).....

I've done a little research online and it seems that they're available to hire but as everyone who's hired rentals before will know, you only hire the 'CLASS' of car not an actual make n model but I was wondering if anyone with local knowledge could point me in the right direction to enquire direct?

Unfortunately, cost IS an object so I can't categorically say "we're getting the SS convertible come hell or high water" but it'd be good to get some advice and also perhaps a lead on where to go n who to ask!

Naturally, I'm very keen for any OTHER advice as well!

Cheers n thanks

Shane

"We are not at home to Mr Reasonable" - Sam Vimes

NZ Touring pics:Brass Monkey 2009:Kiwi Sun:Tiki-touring: Daytrips in NZ
Shaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 06:46 AM   #852
motogon
Like wind

Oddometer: 1,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtsurfer View Post
Hi Guys
I did both sides, East (Hana) and West ride in one day on rental Wee-Strom.

motogon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 04:56 PM   #853
hoffa509
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
As far as the car rental goes, there are independent rental lots that have SS and other cars. I think it was about $150 a day. The big places like Hertz will do the type of car instead of a individual model.
Old 09-14-2014, 03:15 AM   #854
Shaggie
Unseen University

Oddometer: 2,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffa509 View Post
As far as the car rental goes, there are independent rental lots that have SS and other cars. I think it was about $150 a day. The big places like Hertz will do the type of car instead of a individual model.
Thanks Hoffa509! Much appreciated!

Any locals able to provide me with independent rental co names PLEASE?????

"We are not at home to Mr Reasonable" - Sam Vimes

NZ Touring pics:Brass Monkey 2009:Kiwi Sun:Tiki-touring: Daytrips in NZ
Shaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 03:56 PM   #855
scottrnelson
Team Orange

Oddometer: 1,409
Trying to find the right thread to mention my experience renting a dual sport on the Big Island.

A few weeks ago I rented a KLR650 from hiadv.com and had a wonderful time riding all around. Total miles for the day was 335. I went down to South Point, and up the road to Mauna Loa as far as you can legally go, with lots of riding in between on the Kona side. Much better than renting a Harley.

The owner used to allow a bit more off road riding, but after rescuing too many stranded or broken bikes, he's asked that you stick to the easier stuff unless it is a guided ride, which he also offers. I went down one dirt road five miles to the ocean and back. That was enough dirt for me that day.

If you'll be on the Big Island, I highly recommend contacting hiadv.com if you want to ride a motorcycle around on the island.