Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-2009, 01:29 AM   #91
mojozlizard
n00basaurus

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southest US Thumper
There's tons of dirt roads in the Wahiawa, Haleiwa, Waialua area that were former sugarcane and pineapple fields, most are locked these days but you can usually squeeze through (just try to look like a farmer!) . There are some ADVriders over there and most are always ready for an excuse to ride, they ought to be able to show you around.
Well... being a 6 foot tall bone white red head.. I dont exactly blend in with the locals however being a good ole country boy i suppose i can pass off for a dirt farmer ill have to go looking for these roads though, I have seen a few driving about and wondered about them. now if i can get this damned inspection sticker ill be in business
mojozlizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 04:00 PM   #92
Southest US Thumper
Extreme n00b

Oddometer: 1,992
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarDust
That's were I learned to ride back in the day on an old (new back then) XR75
Ho! Sweethart, no shame!!! I wen learn same plase on won Steen!!!!

Ware U wuz for da 200? Had some wahine wen entah, neva make da foress but did gud on da mounten!!!

Old 07-02-2009, 10:20 PM   #93
Southest US Thumper
Extreme n00b

Big Island Dual Sport Ride!!!

Hey! The same folks that bust trail, time, set up Gas Checks, and drink beer in support of the Mauna Kea 200 are putting together a Dual Sport Ride on 26 July.

The route will be through Puna District and very mellow compared to the 200.

200 Route:

Versus.....
Old 07-02-2009, 10:37 PM   #94
Southest US Thumper
Extreme n00b

Vs. Dual Sport Ride

I'm not the route master but knowing Puna I''m betting you'll see places like:

Kaloli Point.

Kalapana:

Pahoa:

And everthing in between:

Reality Check: It'll be a mellow ride, about 120 miles total and nothing challenging, gravel roads, great views, probably 50% pavement.

If interested show up at 9:30 A.M. at Big Island Power Sports, 447 Kalanianaole St. in Hilo (Across from Harper's Truck Rentals) figure five hours of Riding!

All the Big Island ADVriders need to show up or Shut-Up! I know who you are so Cowboy Up!

Southest US Thumper screwed with this post 07-02-2009 at 10:50 PM
Southest US Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 07:03 PM   #95
Southest US Thumper
Extreme n00b

Advertising

Here are a couple of the posters for the 26 July DS Ride done by Gasser:

Not to Dime anybody out but has anyone heard from Prf. Caos, AndyinHilo, or Great Sadhu?????
Old 07-28-2009, 07:25 PM   #96
Andyinhilo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,588
Quote:
Not to Dime anybody out but has anyone heard from Prf. Caos, AndyinHilo, or Great Sadhu?????
Thumper,
Unfortunately, I did not know about this till today, and spent the 26th driving the family about Kona. Call me next time, K? You wen go o' wat?

Andy
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."J. Cooper
Andyinhilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 08:06 PM   #97
Bulldogs2k
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
Nice, its about time there's a HI thread. I'm in Va Beach for now but plan to move to HI....I co-own a gym in Chesapeake but would like to start a nice 24 hr studio/gym on any island. Whats the chances of that working out?
A
Bulldogs2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 08:35 PM   #98
Southest US Thumper
Extreme n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyinhilo
Thumper,
Unfortunately, I did not know about this till today, and spent the 26th driving the family about Kona. Call me next time, K? You wen go o' wat?

Andy
Sorry 'bout that Andy, it was my first ride since that dreadful day in January.
Semi-Report:
15 riders showed up at Big Island Power Sports for the 9:30 a.m. kick-off that came precisely at about 10:15, hey this is Hilo, people wanted to get a good feel if it was going to rain or not.... I had the WR set up with the motard wheels and could only ride till noonish. Mixed bag of bikes and riders, two plated WR's, three plated CRF450X's, one plated YZ450F, two or three KLRs, a big street bike with a guy I didn't know rode, Husky 450, DRZ400, DR650, 250 Yamaha Enduro, and an airhead BMW.

The route was all over Puna District, Fern Acres, Hawaiian Beaches, Kapoho, Pahoa, Kalapana, upper Waiakea, and all points in between, nothing challenging cuz it was a first and they wanted to check out abilities.

I had a blast on the motard! Only regret was having to leave early, they didn't finish until about 5:30 pm.

This coming Sunday there's a East Meets West Ride, the Hilo and Kona guys are supposed to link up at Puu Huluhulu then ride up to the NOAA Observatory on Mauna Loa eat lunch and then ride up to the summit of Mauna Kea. I'll get the specifics and PM you. Robert
Old 07-28-2009, 08:40 PM   #99
Southest US Thumper
Extreme n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogs2k
Nice, its about time there's a HI thread. I'm in Va Beach for now but plan to move to HI....I co-own a gym in Chesapeake but would like to start a nice 24 hr studio/gym on any island. Whats the chances of that working out?
A
Hmmmmmm, here in Hilo we have a couple of gyms already and of late BJ Penn's is pretty popular, not sure of what's going on over in Kona, but none that I know of are 24 hrs (in Hilo we roll the sidewalks up at about 8:00 pm...... on a Friday night).

What about going into diversified agriculture? Just don't let Andy find any of your crop on State Lands.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:06 AM   #100
Southest US Thumper
Extreme n00b

Scoop on the 2 Aug Ride

Here's what Gasser E-mailed me:

Note the correction in the Link Up Point, Mauna Kea State Park at 0930 not Puu Huluhulu.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:47 PM   #101
Bulldogs2k
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Hmmmmmm, here in Hilo we have a couple of gyms already and of late BJ Penn's is pretty popular, not sure of what's going on over in Kona, but none that I know of are 24 hrs (in Hilo we roll the sidewalks up at about 8:00 pm...... on a Friday night).

What about going into diversified agriculture? Just don't let Andy find any of your crop on State Lands.

Nice pics....I want to move to HI but the wifey wants to move to Oahu because she lived there through High school. Looks to be way more dirt roads on the big island while Oahu only has Kauku (sp?).

Are those gyms MMA gyms or a combination of both? For the most part, i'm trying to set up a personal training studio that is large enough to hold 250-300 members.
Angelo
Old 07-29-2009, 09:19 PM   #102
Southest US Thumper
Extreme n00b

Quote:
Nice pics....I want to move to HI but the wifey wants to move to Oahu because she lived there through High school. Looks to be way more dirt roads on the big island while Oahu only has Kauku (sp?).

Are those gyms MMA gyms or a combination of both? For the most part, i'm trying to set up a personal training studio that is large enough to hold 250-300 members.
Angelo
In Hilo two are just basic gyms with various fitness programs, BJ's is a combo, I can't imagine a place that needs to be that big on this rock, Oahu might have the population to support something like that.
Old 07-30-2009, 12:29 PM   #103
Bulldogs2k
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
In Hilo two are just basic gyms with various fitness programs, BJ's is a combo, I can't imagine a place that needs to be that big on this rock, Oahu might have the population to support something like that.

Sounds like I need to do some recon. and scout out all the islands. The gym its self would only be 4000 sq/ft so its a small quaint gym with the basic equipment with a CHEAP monthly due. Right now I'm charging 19.95 a month but that can change with rent. I'm so close to selling my part of the gym and my house to move....that should give me enough money to surf, eat and ride for the next year!

Also, how is H.U.? Thinking of getting my grad degree from them as another reason for the move
Old 08-01-2009, 06:49 PM   #104
Southest US Thumper
Extreme n00b

Quote:
Also, how is H.U.? Thinking of getting my grad degree from them as another reason for the move
UH in Manoa on Oahu has lot's of options, UH Hilo is limited to just a few Masters programs, Education and Tropical Forestry come to mind.

Good Luck!
Old 08-22-2009, 02:29 AM   #105
Bald Kirk
Dances with Dirt Bikes

Oddometer: 738
Hello everyone,

My family and I are in the process of moving to Oahu as I type. I already have one of our cars enroute and expect for my wife and the kids to be on the island as soon as possibly September 19th.

My wife will be heading up a clinical research unit and I will be a full time student.

I have a motorcycle question for the group.

After a recent visit to the island recently I have decided to sell my current street bike. I had already planned selling my dirt bikes here as well because of the cost of shipping them. The game plan is to limit myself myself to one motorcycle It seems to me that I don't need a big bike for the kind of riding I will be doing so I am leaning towards a Yamaha WR250X. My second choice would be a Suzuki DRZ400SM. As you guys know these bikes also come in a dual sport version. Which version would you choose? I am not sure how much dirt riding there is on the island so I am leaning towards the street versions.

Thanks!
Kirk