Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2009, 03:41 PM   #241
dave6253
Dauntless

Oddometer: 2,950
You're Getting Closer

Quote:
Originally Posted by viola-tor
We interrupt your regularly scheduled program to bring you this important announcement:

I'll be playing in Buena Vista Colorado this Sunday at 3:00, as a featured soloist! Telemann Viola Concerto on an all baroque concert with the Walden Chamber Music society. I'll be performing on Brown Sugar, my old woody viola... YFF's are invited.

They used a Peak Performance photo!

here's the web-site: http://www.waldenchambermusic.org/events.html
Damn! I have to work this weekend. Otherwise thise would be a great excuse to run up to Buena Vista!
Old 05-02-2009, 05:56 PM   #242
Bonnie Abbzug
Property of Hayduke

Oddometer: 10,339
Quote:
We interrupt your regularly scheduled program to bring you this important announcement:

I'll be playing in Buena Vista Colorado this Sunday at 3:00, as a featured soloist! Telemann Viola Concerto on an all baroque concert with the Walden Chamber Music society. I'll be performing on Brown Sugar, my old woody viola... YFF's are invited.

I cannot believe I have to work tomorrow . I am so tempted to close up my shop and come see you play. I saw you get de-n00bed at West Fest and truly enjoyed your performance. I've also been enjoying your ride report and appreciate all the insights into the music world - I find it very interesting and entertaining!

If it's a slow day in the shop tomorrow I'm gonna close up early and go see you! And, if you happen to be riding through Salida stop in and say Hi (both Hayduke and I have shops on F Street, Beadsong and Fattees).

I hope you have a big turnout and good time!!
Bonnie Abbzug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 06:17 PM   #243
viola-tor OP
Needs to ride!

Oddometer: 2,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie Abbzug
I cannot believe I have to work tomorrow . I am so tempted to close up my shop and come see you play. I saw you get de-n00bed at West Fest and truly enjoyed your performance. I've also been enjoying your ride report and appreciate all the insights into the music world - I find it very interesting and entertaining!

If it's a slow day in the shop tomorrow I'm gonna close up early and go see you! And, if you happen to be riding through Salida stop in and say Hi (both Hayduke and I have shops on F Street, Beadsong and Fattees).

I hope you have a big turnout and good time!!
Oh wow! I'd be honored to have you come, I guarantee it'll be far and away better then my West-Fest performance last summer, fun as it was... I don't think I'll make it to Salida this week, but I plan on being back in the banana belt this summer, and most likely West Fest '09. Hope to see you tomorrow if you can break away! Rehearsal today was great...

Thanks for chiming in!
viola-tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 06:20 PM   #244
viola-tor OP
Needs to ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave6253
Damn! I have to work this weekend. Otherwise thise would be a great excuse to run up to Buena Vista!
It's sorta close! LOL. I'm looking forward to your 2-up california trip, that's a run I've been dreaming off too... Are you gonna take the 990 or the Futura??
Old 05-02-2009, 06:35 PM   #245
the darth peach
eats crackers in bed

Oddometer: 11,397
Are you ever performing in the SF bay area?
the darth peach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 01:24 PM   #246
othalan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Quote:

Too bad this wasn't next weekend, I would have ridden down to hear you play. But today I just don't have the time to get there and back before other commitments. Hope it goes well!
othalan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 05:59 PM   #247
sisukid
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
I just read this from post 1 till the end, all in one fell swoop.

Awesome!!!!

You give me hope that maybe it isn't too late to follow my life-long dream of being a traveling professional musician. Maybe we could be a duo act? All I have to do is figure out how to fit a Hammond B3 Organ on the back of my f650GS...
sisukid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 12:01 AM   #248
viola-tor OP
Needs to ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flood
A beautiful and insightful report, I love all the stuff I can learn about your music. Congratulations for finding a way to life to the fullest!
Thanks so much! I'm having a good time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by the darth peach
Are you ever performing in the SF bay area?
Not yet, but now I have friends in the area who are contractors, so maybe I can break into the California scene, we'll see where this ride goes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by voyaginator
If you plan to be in the sf bay area, I'll be there !!!
You and Darth Peach, well that's an audience right there! I'm on it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtMopar
Great posting, I've been following along and love your adventures
Thanks! Much more to come!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Run n Gun
Made it to page 8 , Fine report .

If you plan to play in Yellowstone summer of 09 , I'll be there .
Hmmm, Yellowstone is possible for July...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike.Gail
Hooray for updates!
yeah, I've been bad. It seems for my style it's almost impossible to report "from the road," so unfortunately I have to play catch up constantly, but it's still fun, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaia
over the past few days, i read through your report from the beginning... thanks for such wonderful writing and pictures. it's great to see a real(ish) world take on a ride report, somewhat reminding the rest of us who have to work most of the year that the work can coexist with the "play" if you really try.

i'm a bit jealous of the fact that you can spend so much time riding, adventuring between jobs, but at least you're having fun doing it.

keep riding, keep playing... there's always more fun to be had.
Thanks for the encouragement. You said it. I've been so inspired by many of the ride reports here and the veteran riders who GO and DO and LIVE. I want to be one too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FolkGirl
great report. Thinking of you as I ride to rehearsal with my cheap wood guitar on my back- it's only five miles away from home though...
Aww yeah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildabeast
Yo V,

I was just down in Florida for 5 days visiting my girlfriends retired parents. Damn, it's way too hot down there! Vermont is much more my natural clime. Anyway it was cool to ski on Sunday and find myself with a cocktail in hand by the big blue ocean on Monday.

Anyway, enjoy Flordia! And what say you swing through Vermont on your way home. I'm sure we could show you some great adventures up here. And it's on the way to Texas...
Yes, I love that the country (and hopefully the WORLD) becomes a small place to travelers. I do see why ppl like Florida in the winter...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvdlboy
Congratulations on finding a way to combine the passions in your life. Your comments around the life of a musician with a family certainly resonate in my extended family. One of my cousins made his living with various orchestras for a number of years (symphonies and musicals), he played with a brass group as well. Though he loved it, it took an emotional toll being away when his kids were very young - Christmas 1996 really hit hard as he was touring playing Andrew Lloyd Weber pieces on the east coast while his 4 year old and 1 year old were home here in BC wondering where dad was. He returned to life here as a high school music teacher/director and still is invited to play and/or conduct with various orchestras more locally based (though he took his senior band to FL a couple of weeks ago). The best part is that he will be my older son's grade 8 band teacher next year! Since he grew up in the Maritimes and didn't get to meet the West Coast side of the family til he was in his 20s, he's thrilled.
Wishing you all the best for success as you define it viola-ting your way around the country!
That's cool! I had my mom as an orchestra teacher in 7th grade, overall it was a good thing! Having a parent on staff def. helped me a time or two. Yeah, those touring musicals can really wear ppl down. I personally, ummm, how to say it politely? "Disagree" with Andrew Lloyd Webber's works as a whole. I probably wouldn't survive a tour of Phantom or JC superstar (unless I could ride from show to show!). But I hear they pay well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Head
And here I am stucK in California. Nuts! as they say.

Knock 'em dead!
Thanks, yo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sisukid
I just read this from post 1 till the end, all in one fell swoop.

Awesome!!!!

You give me hope that maybe it isn't too late to follow my life-long dream of being a traveling professional musician. Maybe we could be a duo act? All I have to do is figure out how to fit a Hammond B3 Organ on the back of my f650GS...
Hmmm, I love the sound of a Hammond, but that would be a trick! Might have to go with a synth keyboard... I've been caught off guard and stayed up all night reading many ride reports, I feel your pain but am glad to be a part of it!
Old 05-11-2009, 12:22 AM   #249
viola-tor OP
Needs to ride!

This is liviní! Itís a short walk from my condo to the downtown opera house, and thereís a Whole Foods grocery store on the way. There are many downtown restaurants and a few watering holes, the marina is only a half mile away, and I joined the YMCA which has a branch only a ten minute run from my door. Ahhh... I can get used to this! It's so civilized not having to spend hours in the car and on the freeways everyday like back in the Texas Megacities. Iíve always dreamed of having the nearly complete pedestrian experience for life and work, and the moto for play! And here I get to live it, if only for a few months.

Thereís a neighborhood cycle store too: Precision Cycle. I was on my way to a more distant Cycle Gear shop, but these huge murals told me I had found the right spot!

Some cool bikes inside, several old beemers in terrific condition, and a crazy drag bike in í70-tastic colors.

This shop is old school, they donít even have a computer! The receipts and orders are all hand written, but they have a lot of nice equipment for sale and the mechanics look busy. They hooked me up with a Xena alarm disc lock and a Guardian Cover for my stay here in Florida.

Iím a little apprehensive about riding here, there are so many elderly drivers that I fear for my safety more than a little bit... I donít want to stereotype unjustly, but I saw lots of expensive cars wrapped around telephone poles on sunny days. Just sayiní. Thereís only so much one can do to prevent being rear-ended.

And speaking of risk management, time for some risky seafood!

Despite my public persona and apparent celebrity lifestyle, itís not all vacation. After a number of days in the rehearsal room we finally move into the pit to start rehearsing with the cast and staging.

The stage for Tosca.

Pretty cool! The Sarasota Opera Company is a pretty big deal in the opera world, and they build their own sets and costumes. These sets and accessories then get rented out to other opera companies around the country, like the Utah Festival Opera that I used to play for. This means Sarasota GOT MONEY. We learned that the budget for the Verdi opera ďDon CarlosĒ was over three million dollars. Thatís more than many orchestraís yearly budget FOR ONE PRODUCTION. Weíre doing four.

Apparently the pit was remodeled last year to provide more room and larger support spaces backstage, including this clever, but skinny, instrument and case room just behind the pit. Like a submarine! (and nearly underwater too! Iím told that this pit actually IS below sea level, and they ran into some big, wet, and expensive problems whilst renovating.)

I have to again emphasize, we are working here! Itís a lot of fun, and I can see why people like to spend the winter in Florida, but weíre pretty busy learning these four operas simultaneously.

That being said, this group likes to party. I mean, I can barely keep up! Every day, sometimes several times a day... Lunches, coffees, dinner get togethers, beach excursions, beer runs, wine evenings. Itís a real slog, let me tell you!

As motorcyclists I think we all enjoy the freedom of what we experience on two wheels. In our fantasies perhaps we envision people looking up to us as heroes, maybe even sex symbols because of the way we live our lives with abandon according to only our own rules (and sometimes not even then). In reality, most members of the opposite sex regard us with puzzlement and mild tolerance. They really arenít impressed, in fact many think we might have a screw loose. But every once in a while it all falls into place...

Are you ready? How many beautiful talented girls can fit on a KTM 990 Adventure? Well letís find out!

Okay, and with me?

Sigh... I give rides until midnight during the Superbowl Orchestra Party. Nice.
Old 05-11-2009, 04:12 AM   #250
EwliyaCelebi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Thanks a lot for the great report.
Old 05-11-2009, 08:32 AM   #251
nvdlboy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 987
Quote:
That's cool! I had my mom as an orchestra teacher in 7th grade, overall it was a good thing! Having a parent on staff def. helped me a time or two. Yeah, those touring musicals can really wear ppl down. I personally, ummm, how to say it politely? "Disagree" with Andrew Lloyd Webber's works as a whole. I probably wouldn't survive a tour of Phantom or JC superstar (unless I could ride from show to show!). But I hear they pay well!
Well it was a trial to see what getting back the life of a touring musician would be like for his family; he spent a number of years touring with A Touch of Brass around Canada, U.S., Europe, Russia, etc. before becoming a teacher. I think that the ALW experience convinced him that shorter stints were better for him and his family. His senior high jazz band just came back from a week in southern FL.

Looks like you're having a spectacular time, all the best touring with that special viola and terrific bike!
Old 05-11-2009, 01:43 PM   #252
clarkebd
Huh?

Oddometer: 819
Bravo!

Great Report!!

Keep the updates coming please. I finally got to catch up just now.

I like the different twist to this - meaning the tie in to the music. I don't recall such a report that I have seen recently. I'm learning about a lifestyle I had no idea about - I've seen concerts, but never thought about the behind the scenes! Thanks for educating me some on this subject!

98 Moto Guzzi V11 EV - SOLD

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough - Mario Andretti
clarkebd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 09:30 PM   #253
viola-tor OP
Needs to ride!

Letís take the adv-time-machine way back to page one of the thread. I said:

Quote:
Iíd say I play music very well (pro for 10 yrs), Iím an experienced rider, a decent writer, a decent photographer, and my video skills are growing too, so put it all together and it should be a good ride!
All these things have been going and growing, but thereís one area that Iíve neglected: I havenít made a movie in a long time...

My good friend Gil (the principal bassist of the Sarasota Opera) approaches me a with an idea on the first day of rehearsal. I know Gil and his wife from the Utah Festival Opera which I played for a number of years and visit every summer. We always hike and camp together in the Utah mountains and he definitely has motorcycle envy.

Gil says to me: ďYou and I need to make a movie for the Art Party. Iíve got a great idea and you know how to make movies.Ē

I say: ďIím in. What the hell is the Art Party?Ē

The Art Party is an unofficial orchestra theme party that happens toward the end of the season which has become an annual event and a Sarasota Opera tradition. People are encouraged to bring an art project of some sort to the party, which could be anything: a painting, a sculpture, a song, a dance, food, costumes... The creative bounds of the mind are the only limitations. Remember weíre talking about a group of musicians here, who are by nature creative people. Iím the rookie and have never experience this event before, but I can tell, THIS is gonna be good...

ďOkay Gil, but if we do this itís not gonna be half way. Weíre making a real motion-picture. Itís going to be a lot of time and effort...Ē

Yes, weíre going to lose sleep. Weíll have to curtail the partying (a little). Relationships will be strained, impossible deadlines will loom above us, and our creative stamina will be tested, all for the sake of a ďfun little party.Ē Iím DEFINITELY into this!

Why do I do it? This project will consume nearly every waking hour of my time in Florida (other than the time Iím sitting in the pit playing my viola), and it will be my most ambitious video attempt to date. Because artists create, thatís why. Thatís part of the reason I started this ride report! Iím primarily a musician, but it feels good to exercise my brain in other creative ways, such as writing and film making; they make me feel artistically ďbalancedĒ which I believe helps me be a better musician.

Gil didnít give me a heads-up before I got to Sarasota, so I only have what gear I brought with me on the bike. Iíve got my pocket W-60 Pentax digi-cam and my light-weight tripod, thatís about it; and I just sold my computer, DOH! Gonna have to do something about that. No fancy video camera, no editing software, no equipment of any kind. Weíre off to a good start!

PLUS itís gotta be a stealth production, no one can know what weíre up to so itís a total surprise at the Art Party ďPremier.Ē Weíll both write it, I will direct, shoot and edit, while Gil will star and compose the soundtrack. His plot concept is solid so we waste no time and start holding ďpre-productionĒ meetings in secret.

Did you think I was gonna tell YFFs what itís about?!? You have to wait until the Art Party like everybody else!

This whole movie thing creates a problem for me. Iíve been making a Florida Bucket-List in my mind that naturally involves motorcycle travel around the state, so Iím going to have to plan our precious days off very carefully indeed to fit everything in. There can be no all-night benders, my priorities are to meet or exceed my motorcycle adventure quotas AND create this movie, all while doing my job in the orchestra at a high standard, so late night parties out on the town after shows are gonna have to be occasional, not the norm, which will be a challenge since one can walk from the performance directly to a number of late-night ďestablishments.Ē This ďhaving fun/adventure lifestyleĒ business is harder than is looks guys, really it is! Somebodyís got to do it...

Meanwhile, the show(s) must go on... Weíre getting ready for the first opening night, Tosca.

This is an instrument you donít see everyday, the contra-bassoon.

Itís a mega-low pitched instrument that composers use from time to time. Itís featured heavily in ďThe Sorcererís ApprenticeĒ by Dukas, which was made famous by Mickey Mouse in Fantasia. In fact, itís capable of the lowest notes in the orchestra (if my memory serves me correctly, feel free to correct me!), even lower than the string bass and the tuba. You can see the lengths of metal and wood piping that fold over themselves several times to attain the air volume needed for these subterranean pitches. The pit is about the WORST place to try to take pictures, the lighting is horrendous and using a flash is a big NO-NO.

An instrument that Iíve never seen before is being used here this season, also in the low-guns dept.: the contra-bass trombone. It looks pretty much like any other trombone, but notice the length compared to the standard trombone on the right. Itís almost six feet long with the slide retracted! It makes my buddy Wayne look like a small child when he plays it.

Specialty instruments like these arenít usually owned by the player, they rent or borrow them from symphony orchestras or collectors who specialize in rare and exotic instruments. Wayne had a hell of a time packing that thing for a round-trip flight because of the weird size and shape.

The company throws us a fancy dinner party after opening night with great food and open bar, so we dig in!

My accomplice Gil and his wife Nadine:

Heh, it looks like Iím having a good time!

The lead roles in our operas get rounds of applause wherever they appear, even out on the town in restaurants, coffee shops and bars! Our fabulous Tosca finally made it to the party after her first triumphant performance (which just happened to be on her birthday!). Sheís amazing.

And then we went salsa dancing until 2:00 am. Yes, yes, I know, priorities... But this is opening night!

Old 05-16-2009, 10:30 AM   #254
dave6253
Dauntless

Oddometer: 2,950
Thumb

Quote:
Did you think I was gonna tell YFFs what itís about?!? You have to wait until the Art Party like everybody else!
WHAT?!?!? So what's the release date?
Old 05-18-2009, 06:48 PM   #255
mistercindy
In a state of equilibrium

Oddometer: 2,905
So now that you've had some time in it, how do you like the Rev'it gear? I'm interested in how the Cayenne Pro handles hot weather. Does it vent well? Do the liners work well and are they easy to put on and take off? How is it in the rain? Anything else you can think of. I guess a little review is in order. The reason I ask is that at the end of the summer I'm going to buy a new three season jacket and I'm looking at the Cayenne Pro or the Rev'it Navigator, which is nearly identical to the Cayenne in terms of features and construction, except its styled more for sport touring, (LINK from webBikeWorld).

In music news, the Allen Philharmonic's last concert was cancelled for budget reasons. Shame, becasue we going to play Dvorak's 8th Symphony which I'd never played. I've played the New World a number of times, but never the 8th. We are going to play our Memorial Day concert next Monday, though.

The following statement is true.

The above statement is false.
mistercindy is offline   Reply With Quote