User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-28-2011, 09:46 PM   #631
jonz
Miles are my mantra

Oddometer: 2,208
Quote:
You got the real deal, but I need some more repertoire for these occasions. My audition material isn’t all that entertaining...

I can assure you, your material was HIGHLY entertaining. My memories of listening to you by the campfire will be among my favorites. I'm smiling now remembering that night.
Honda ST1300 ABS (newest addition to the stable)
STOC #326 IBA #217
jonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 01:48 PM   #632
viola-tor OP
Needs to ride!

Oddometer: 2,071
Hey guys, here's what I know about filterskins:

I found the filter skins at Cycle Gear, but can't find them on their website, even using one of the 4 diff. part numbers on the package.

They are MSR Filterskins - size small/tall, Diameter 3" - 5", Length 5" - 8"

A search found them HERE, but I couldn't find them on MotorcycleSuperstore either. I'd say check your local Cycle Gear if you have one.

Initially I thought I'd just use them and toss them during a trip, but after buying a 2nd pack for myself I'm realizing it's probably worth it to save them and clean/reuse when I get home. A 3 pack is $20 or so...

I'm happy with the performance, the only trick is getting it all the way down covering the bottom of the prefilter. It's tight in there! I've tried using a plastic bag over my hands to try to keep the oil off, but usually end up getting it on myself anyway. I guess some disposable gloves would be ideal. Like I mentioned in my post, my red prefilter was nearly clean underneath while the dirt and dust was CAKED onto the skin. 'Nuff said. Triple baggin'! (Skin, pre, and main paper. Why not?)

Hope that helps!

Diek
viola-tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 04:53 PM   #633
Slaughter
n00b

Oddometer: 9
I have spent WAAAAAaaaaayyyy too little time reading through ADVrider - but VIOLA!!! Now I MUST go through from the beginning.

Viola, Cello (but been waay too many years now) - though it made picking up the Mandolin (tuned to "Mandola" tuning) - pretty instinctive.

More later - I GOT SOME READING to do!

(viola clef as avatar - gotta love it)
Slaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:25 PM   #634
viola-tor OP
Needs to ride!

I'll go ahead and borrow/steal some of the others pics to keep the timeline and perspective. Don't mind me fellas!

Jonz pics:

Mommer's cam:

Old 03-30-2011, 08:52 PM   #635
jonz
Miles are my mantra

Photo shopped for sure

Hey Viola-tor,
I'm sure you'll agree those last two shots of Mommer's must have been the work of Photoshop.
STOC #326 IBA #217
Old 04-14-2011, 12:00 AM   #636
viola-tor OP
Needs to ride!

The morning brings, well, more riding! Up an at ‘em! We get right to some more alternate (tougher) routes.

I wanted to get some helmet cam footage of this first boulder strewn trail, but the mounting foot somehow broke in my luggage, so no footage of my/our bad-ass-ness. You’ll just have to imagine.

A pic from Mommer’s cam. That is one fun trail, line selection is crucial! A few rocks...

Jonz showing us how it’s done:

We agreed the center line was the winner (as Jonz is demonstrating), but for some reason Sven and Mommer wouldn’t listen...

As always, it’s steeper than in looks, and I got stalled just before the big ledge because of the traffic jam ahead of me. My Rekluse equipped 990 pulled me right up the step from a standstill, no backing down needed to gain momentum. Sweet! [As I recall I did use my velcro strap on the brake lever while helping with Sven's bike. It was steep enough!]

How many guys DOES it take to pick up a 950 anyway?

In Aaron’s defence, he rode everything the rest of us did on Scorpion tires (which can hardly be called knobby), and smiled the whole time.

This day gets more and more interesting! The challenges keep on coming with water and mud. Yup, that’s Mommer’s 950 S, one of the tallest bikes ever, in it DEEP.

What’s the lesson of the day? Center line, people, center line. When will they learn?

Jonz veering right, and then stopping. ;-D

Then going. Sorta

Jonz pic:

Our hero exiting the bog. Smooth as silk! (but I was sweating bullets under that calm, poised exterior ).

And then more water, but in a totally different package: A decommissioned train tunnel over a mile long. Crazy! Our guide wasn’t sure if it would be frozen in the middle, he’d never actually ridden it. Whoa. We vote to dive in.

It starts out easy enough, just a few puddles over squishy loose gravel.

A pinhole of light is at the far end, and seems to refuse to get any bigger as we ride. The sound of FIVE Austrian V-twins and two singles reverberating in the tunnel is incredible. Steam is rising off of the hot exhaust pipes and the glow of headlights and GPS units is eerie.

As we work our way in farther and farther the puddles get deeper and so does the gravel. The water is ice cold splashing up over the tops of our boots and the sense of urgency to GET OUT becomes stronger.

Another stolen Jonz pic:

The puddles join and turn into a lake, spanning wall to wall concealing the terrain underneath; it’s just get on the pegs and smoothly twist that throttle. There is some passing going on as some stall out, some elect to slow down, some to accelerate to the finish.

I decide to gas it, passing a couple riders. Only jjmyzrider is ahead of me, and I’m gunning for the exit, but his bike starts bucking underneath him a bit and he slows for the hidden rocks, and I’m right on his tail, I have to brake. As my front wheel encounters the large rocks my momentum is gone, the forks are already compressed and the chassis is out of balance, so over I go, in super slow-motion. NOOOOOOOO! I really, really don’t want to suck water in the engine, truly I do not. I plant my leg and try with all my might to keep the big pig up, feeling the icy cave water pouring in over the tops of my motocross boots (it’s that deep in there! Wall to wall!). The best I can manage is a slight angle to the bike with the help of the saddle bags and the crash bars as my RPMs spike near redline, but I manage to keep the filter over the waterline. I SHOULD have hit the kill switch, but one is not exactly PLANNING what to do in a tip-over situation!

So now I’ve created a traffic jam at the mouth of the tunnel, and several riders create new lines on either side of me as I hoist the bike up. We’ve made it. What an incredible sensory experience!

More fun after the tunnel too...

Time to eat. We hit up a cool little cafe (where the hell was that? Can’t remember the town.), let’s just say the service was, errrr, enthusiastic.

Wait, a little closer?

When Davestr is along you never know what is gonna happen! Love that guy.

What a day! And it’s only lunch! Onward...

We pick up a few supplies in the next “big” town and our convoy gets a little separated, and Aaron, Mommer and I finally track down the rest of the party, eating AGAIN! Hilarious. All Dave needs is an excuse... Grizzly bear!

There’s one more alternate for the day before a high-country campground, and it’s an ATV trail that is WAY fun. No pics, too busy on the handle bars, but it was def a challenge on the fully loaded big bikes. We played tag with a group of riders on little singles, and they took OFF in this stuff, their bread ‘n butter. I was in the lead and we ALMOST made it to the end, only one last STEEP and LOOSE hill climb, but it was enough to give me pause. When the group finally caught up we were informed that we lost Sven, his radiator filler neck had somehow cracked after hitting a rock somehow, and he had retreated back to town. After inspecting the hill on foot we decided to backtrack down the alternate back to town to find Sven, leaving that hill climb staring at us, smirking. I wanted it, but I think we made the right decision to stick together.

Getting turned around to head back (Mommer's pic of me in the trees):

We try everything we can think of, and it takes a while, but eventually we spy Sven’s bike at a hotel. Dave, noble Dave, peels out of formation across multiple lanes of the freeway to join him. We know Sven is safe and will soon have company, so the remainders of us ride away to the campsite, hoping to use the last slivers of daylight.

Who do we find at the campsite? Geek and company! A reunion!

viola-tor screwed with this post 04-14-2011 at 08:30 AM
Old 04-14-2011, 10:19 AM   #637
Squid Division
17th Mounted Squids

Oddometer: 42
Man that tunnel sounded awesome, I'm jealous.
Squid Division is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 10:55 AM   #638
jonz
Miles are my mantra

Where was that cafe?

Quote:
Time to eat. We hit up a cool little cafe (where the hell was that? Can’t remember the town.), let’s just say the service was, errrr, enthusiastic.

That would be Basin, Montana.

And where's the action sequence of Mommer in the rock garden? Looked cool in the camera.
STOC #326 IBA #217
Old 04-14-2011, 11:03 AM   #639
viola-tor OP
Needs to ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonz View Post
That would be Basin, Montana.

And where's the action sequence of Mommer in the rock garden? Looked cool in the camera.
Ah Basin, yes! That was a superb day.

I, ummm, have "misplaced" that sequence of Mommer, I have one more place to look, hopefully it's not gone forever. It IS a cool sequence! I swear, this new camera is EATING my computer, I'm always at redline in terms of hard drive space. At 7 frames per second and HD video I guess that's bound to happen. Swimming in data, gahhhh!

viola-tor screwed with this post 04-14-2011 at 12:44 PM
Old 04-14-2011, 01:44 PM   #640
Tall Mike
TAT Rookie (planning!)

Oddometer: 542
Quote:
I like the Reflective tape job on your viola case! (makes it special!)
Good ride! Jealous!

stable: '05 DL1000,'06 DL650, '99 XR600R, '03 640ADV
Tall Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 12:01 AM   #641
viola-tor OP
Needs to ride!

Day breaks on our camp and I shudder, remembering Geek’s drunken singing from the night before. Oh, how could such a foul memory tarnish such a beautiful day? Why God, why?

It really is a pretty camp site.

Aaron finds a sleepy friend as I dry my boots out.

After we get rolling I find myself riding along side Dirty Santana and his gal in a construction zone. Hello ole’ buddy! It seems like a months ago that we were riding the Continental Divide together... In reality it is only days! Motorcycle camping is like that, time is fluid.

Mommer has a mechanical issue. Two actually, which means it’s time for a break! Might as well take some peeektures.

Tiger in the grass...

Dude in the grass!

This stop is long enough for a nap, so might as well take advantage! There’s shade and soft grass, and the bugs aren’t bad at all.

Mommer works his electrical magic to get his fan going again and we make a tiny old mining town, which is also a poker run card point.

We’ve been half-heartedly trying to play the game, but it’s not really designed for the uber-manly alternate riders! Our bad-ass, boulder-strewn paths mean we’d have to back-track on pavement to pick up cards, and that doesn’t seem in line with our group’s philosophy. Fine by me!

Mommer’s mechanical problems are not over, his water pump is going, going... The Achilles heel of the big KTMs. What to do, what to do...
He’s not happy. The bike is still rideable, but for how long??

We’re just shy of another potentially challenging alternate trail, and attempting it with a major mechanical issue is not going to happen. From our original group that met so early in the morning outside of Boulder Colorado it’s down to Mommer and myself. Gnarly had to fly back to Colorado, Geek and Santana had other plans for the MT1000, Dave is helping Sven (I hope everything is going okay with them!), and so that leaves us two. Not to get too mushy, but I feel that we’ve developed a kinship, Jasen Mommer and me. We come from totally different worlds and find ourselves here, having the time of our lives. His simple, poignant philosophical points at the ends of conversations resonate with me, almost like those motivational posters or daily affirmation calendars (and I mean that in a good way! ), and when the going gets tough I find myself turning to him first for his take on the situation. He finally announces that he is out, planning to limp the bike back to the next biggest town where there is a motorcycle shop where he can hopefully over-night ship a water pump kit, and that we should continue on without him.

Part of me wants to accompany him, “never leave a man down” and that whole thing which I’ve been thinking a lot about this trip. Davestr is great about that, who is at this moment sacrificing his own riding enjoyment to help Sven out with his 690. It was Dave and Mommer who spent an entire day tramping up and down a hillside looking for my sorry carcass after all. But he insists that we go on, that there’s no sense in any of us ducking out as he knows exactly what to do, unpleasant as it may be. Feeling more than a little guilty I agree. I’ll just have to be the one to carry the flag all the way through I guess!

Off we ride. It’s jjmyzrider, Jonz, Baja Ho, AB Boy (Aaron), and me.

Jonz got this great helmet camera footage of the alternate in question. He was chasing jjmyzider, and I was not far behind. In fact, I *think* that’s my voice and engine at the beginning before he starts his bike.

Exiting the alternate:

The sky is turning angry as we visit a historic town. I’ve GOT to go in here!

This place is crazy! It’s mostly coin operated amusement curios from the late 1800’s. Many of them still work!

Player roll

Many different automatic pipe organs.

And a machine billed as “the eighth wonder of the world,” a mechanized violin playing machine. It’s not a machine that sounds like a violin, it’s one built AROUND a real violin. Kooky. I’ve gotta hear this.

Incredibly this one still works, so I pop in my dime and prepare to be amazed...

I wouldn’t rate the sound as a “wonder,” but it was cool to see all the little gears and wheels spinning. Clever indeed, but it was SOOO soft by modern standards it is hard to imagine anyone being blown away by this contraption. The tune sounded like a “pop” tune of the day, perhaps one people would’ve recognized. As I see this I’m reminded of the robots that are programmed to “play” the violin (or other instruments). It’s an impressive technological exercise to be sure, but PEOPLE make music. Remember that!

I’m hesitant to even link this up, but I mentioned it, so might as well! Note the robo-death grip on the bow (and the stressed, scratchy sound that results). Also note the “vibrato” on the long notes which they’ve achieved by little roller balls on the fingertips (which is not the way a string player would do it, obviously). I think it’s funny the way a wrong rhythm was programed in, trying to stylize it (like you can stylize a robot playing violin...).

Just for comparison, here’s Pinchas Zukerman, one of the greatest living violinists (and he plays viola too!) playing music for real. Tone, vibrato, expression... Nice try Robot, epic fail!

jjmyzrider’s brother meets up with us somewhere in here, I can’t remember exactly where, I think it's this Wild West tourist trap, right? He’s also on a white and purple KTM 620. Brothers unite!

The clouds are dark, the rain is coming down somewhere, but we have plans. Oh yes! These gnarly alternate riders need more, uhhh, gnarly alternate routes! Up to a mountain pass we go. We’re not getting rained on per se, but there is water everywhere as evident by the road spray our wheels are creating.

As we pull off the pavement there’s a buzz in the air between us, this moisture means tacky dirt! Traction! Oh yeah! The brothers fly away in a purple flash of wheelies while the big bikes follow, right past a sign that reads “Impassable when wet.” Surely that doesn’t apply to us, right? KTMs can go through anything!

It is beautiful...

I’m running full knobbies, and even so my wheels start slip-sliding all over the place only a mile in. Aaron has the Scorpion dual-sport tires (which are definitely more street oriented) and he is struggling to stay on the track too. And we’re not the only ones!

The brothers and Jonz go a bit past this mud puddle and decide “it’s just not worth it fellas.” Maybe that sign WAS talking to us???

We can’t go that way, but there’s another track that will take us down out of the hills. The sky is eerily beautiful at sunset after a storm.

Baja Ho and I look back and see Aaron stopped on hill, and eventually go back to see what’s up. Oh dear, the old 950 low fender issue strikes: his wheel has locked up from the sticky Montana mud.

We knock some mud loose, remove the fender and attempt to continue on, but the brake line on the older 950s loops over the wheel so it is threatening to be ripped off by the ever expanding mud-shoe around the tire. This is some sticky, nasty stuff.

Eventually we try removing one of the calipers all together, but the brake lines are still an issue. Progress is reduced to feet (or inches!) rather than miles. I have a feeling Aaron will probably be doing a high fender conversion very soon... Of course we’re all in this together, but I’m pleased that I took the trouble to install a high fender on my bike this season and it isn’t me! Make no mistake, we are ALL struggling in these conditions, high fender or no.

At some point in all the muck and with the turning around I lost my balance and had to abandon ship, but no harm done. Picking the bike up while boots are slipping in the mud is a trick!

The sun is going quickly, and we can’t really go forward OR back, so we decide to make camp right there where we stopped. I love it! This is the cowboy way: ride ‘till you can’t ride any more, then sleep. As tough and frustrating as this riding is, this is incredibly satisfying, living in the moment, dealing with what comes. We have everything we need including food, water, shelter and each other. Brilliant.

Adventure my friends. Adventure.

Old 04-16-2011, 09:58 PM   #642
viola-tor OP
Needs to ride!

Here's a few more from Mommer's cam I unearthed. Good stuff!

No, my bike isn't going off the trail for any particular reason. Nothing to see here, move along...

You can see the mud spray if you look close.

Yeah baby!

Old 04-16-2011, 11:24 PM   #643
Geek
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 30,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by viola-tor View Post
Day breaks on our camp and I shudder, remembering Geek’s drunken singing from the night before. Oh, how could such a foul memory tarnish such a beautiful day? Why God, why?

It really is a pretty camp site.

I remember being amazed when I found out that those little tiny wine/juice boxes were 3 full glasses of wine.... after I'd finished two of them.

I remember turning my headlamp on and being amazed when the light was Red ("you don't have to turn on that red light"!).

I don't remember much else but I was told by Dire Wolf that it was "my night".

ROOOOOOOOOOOOOXAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANE!

Sorry everyone.
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 12:34 AM   #644
viola-tor OP
Needs to ride!

In the morning we lazily rise and pack our things. We’re in no hurry, the longer we wait the more the ground will absorb yesterdays rainfall. And then some real Montana cowboys come along, doing their thing! How cool!

Now I feel that my back-country Montana experience is complete. I couldn’t help but note that three out of four real Montana cowboys prefer ball caps to cowboy hats. Silly Texans that don’t even own a horse might want to think about that... Just sayin’.

It’s still a little bit muddy, but with every minute we ride the conditions improve and soon we are “out” on better maintained roads at a lower elevation. We didn’t bag our originally planned alternate (the one with the mud hole), so we’ll just have to come back someday. [If I’m remembering correctly THAT alternate wasn’t even an “official” one, it was a "trail-of-interest" of jjmyzrider and his brother. I don’t think any of the organized MT1000 route was through there, but I could be mistaken as I wasn’t navigating.]

Next up: The Gravelies. I’d been hearing about this for days, and the name suggests to me a B-Grade horror flick. What we get is stunning high-altitude dirt touring scenery, and my-O-my is it nice!

I wasn’t in photo mode for some reason, I was lulled into a ride-and-enjoy state. It was cold and windy which probably contributed in part to my brain shutting down. We all put on another layer or two as we climbed.

I think some of the other boys got some nice photos. Jonz grabbed these two which capture it really well:

There are Peruvian shepherds in wagon-tents, which looked like a lonely, lonely job to have. One had an iPod. I wonder if he has a solar charger for it? It was cool to see all the sheep and dogs running around over this picturesque landscape filled with color.

On the way down I grabbed this shot, which I like very much, which started a little trend over in the OC. I still like mine best, it’s the dirtiest.

Another day, another HUGE Montana meal at a local establishment. Sweet. As I dismount it becomes achingly clear that I have obtained flat number four of the trip. Eat first, fix tire second.

The food is great, and pie a la mode for staying power to get me through the rest of the day is a must, and then it’s wrenching time once again. And Sven is here! He and Dave found a welder and got the 690 radiator back on it’s feet, and Sven tells me that Dave turned around to help Mommer out with his bike issues, and order a few parts for his own bike since a package was being shipped overnight anyway (I think I scared everyone with my dirty air filter skin demo. Whoopsie! ).

We have shade and even rocking chairs so this seems like as good a place to have a flat as any. Plus beer is only a few steps away, if one is so inclined... As I’m breaking the bead who appears? Davestr and Mommer! But... Together on Dave’s bike.

I can’t believe it, it’s so cool to see them here! If my tire wouldn’t have been flat they would’ve missed us by ten minutes, pretty cool how things work out. As I change the tire we trade stories and I find out that indeed Mommer’s water pump is failing, but no permanent damage, and the parts are on the way. They hopped on Dave’s bike to come find us for lunch and succeeded! Awesome.

Camping for tonight is only a few miles away, and coincidentally this is terrain I’ve already covered as part of the CDT on the way to Darby the first time, so it’s cool to see it again after all the terrain that has passed under my wheels in the last week. This is the last night out of the MT1000 and we’re back on the “standard” route, so we’re anticipating a large group of riders camping in the same area. To our surprise, it appears that there are only two groups camping that are “completing” the organized ride. Where we are has a few more inmates that we’ve been seeing off and on again, and apparently there’s another group camping up the road a ways. I’d say only about 15-20 riders total.

The guns come out and we take turns shooting across the river which is great fun (I guess they don’t have to conserve ammo anymore?? ). Mmmmm, D’Eagle. Deagle-deagle-deagle.

After dark we make a large fire and I give another recital as we have some previously unenlightened motorcycle campers with us. I got a little bottle of fire-water earlier after the flat and allow myself to get happy.

Tomorrow: The final push.
Old 04-18-2011, 07:46 AM   #645
Bonnie Abbzug
Property of Hayduke

Oddometer: 10,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by viola-tor View Post
Next up: The Gravelies. I’d been hearing about this for days, and the name suggests to me a B-Grade horror flick. What we get is stunning high-altitude dirt touring scenery, and my-O-my is it nice!

Wow! What a beautiful area!
Bonnie Abbzug is offline   Reply With Quote