Old 10-18-2008, 09:11 PM   #1
MY ADV OP
"ZERO.. POINT.. ZERO"

Oddometer: 489
How to install a Gerbings dual thermostat controller

Getting your parts ready:

Gerbing Dual thermostat Controller: TCDPM Dual Temp-Controller Permanent
http://www.gerbing.com/Products/tempControls.html

1: Mark the right hand cable coming from the top of the controller with a small amount of white-out. This way you will be able to identify which variable controller will be operation the white banded output cable. See NOTE 1 on the picture bellow. Also, mark the variable temperature controller with white-out as well. Yellow or the Red LED, which ever you prefer.

2: Tape the power connections. Warning: The power leads are very sensitive and the slightest touch of the negative lead to the battery’s positive terminal will burn out the controller in just a few milli-seconds. So wrap them together in electrical tape.

Getting your bike ready:
1: Remove or drop down the bash pan.
2: Open the battery cover. (I pre-wired a multi pigtail lead for my positive and negative terminals. That way, I don’t have to try a cram all of my connections onto the battery terminals.)
3: Remove the left side components. The upper left cowling and fuel tank.
4: Remove the headlight.

Drilling: (Yikes)
1: I drilled a small hole, just large enough for a zip-tie, just above the bend on the fan shroud. See Note 1 in the picture below.

Mounting and routing the controller and cables:
Lots of wire securing going on in this step.
1: I routed the power lead down to the battery. There is just enough room to get the fuse holder through the support brackets and existing wiring. No need to cut the cables. Do not connect them at this point. Wait until the end.
2: I routed the output cables; one of the cables is the cable with the white band, up and in between the frame and the air box.
3: I then routed the variable temp. control cable up along the frame and through the center of the headlight support.

Drilling the instrument bezel.
Take your time here. Here are a few suggestions.
1: I would pre-drill some holes into a piece of plastic like the lid of a bucket to get the correct sizes. The instructions do have bit sizes but I like to get it as exact as possible.
2: Put some White-out on the end of the variable temp controller knob shaft and press it up against the bezel from the back side. (It sounds a bit dirty doesn’t it) This way it will leave a mark for you to center your drill.
From the underside of the bezel you will see three gussets. I drilled in-between the gussets and it came out great.
The picture is a bit fuzzy, but it should make sense.

Installing the variable temp. controllers.
1: Insert the controllers with the LED’s is a pretty easy step. Mount the variable controller first and then take a small flat blade screw driver and place it between the leads of the LED’s and push them up into place.
2: Route the variable temp. controller cable up and around the top inside of the bezel and connect them to the variable controllers. Match the white-out marks together. I didn’t use the heat shrink tube. I just packed the connection with dielectric grease and sealed them with electrical tape.

Connecting the power leads:
Remember to be careful at this step. You don’t want all of your work to go up in smoke.

Connect the negative lead first and then the positive lead. This is what my rat’s nest looks like. I cut the ring lugs off of the power leads and installed insulated Male/Female spade terminals to my pig tails.

The finished product: The pictures are a bit fuzzy. When I don’t need the output cables, I tuck them up under the shroud.

2012 KTM 990R ADV (20.0K Miles and growing)
2005.5 KTM 950A ADV (106K Miles to its death by way of truck)
2005 KTM 450 EX-G (Plate)
MY ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 09:19 PM   #2
Joe
Debaser

Oddometer: 1,728
Off your topic, but about your header wrap

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...67&postcount=9

original thread

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ht=header+wrap

Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2008, 10:43 PM   #3
MY ADV OP
"ZERO.. POINT.. ZERO"

Off with the wrap

Wow, thanks Filabuster. Off with the wraps first thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by filabuster

Old 10-18-2008, 11:22 PM   #4
Dusty
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,237
Nice job!

I had a hard time finding a spot for the black box when i did mine, i put it back on the inward side of the frame by the back SAS plate. I located my control knobs in the same place as you did on the dash.

Dusty screwed with this post 10-19-2008 at 09:48 AM
Dusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 08:47 AM   #5
onebaduce

Oddometer: 566
So

"2: Tape the power connections. Warning: The power leads are very sensitive and the slightest touch of the negative lead to the battery’s positive terminal will burn out the controller in just a few milli-seconds. So wrap them together in electrical tape."

How many did you burn out to arrive at this statement?

Nice Job I like where you placed the knobs on the dash. Gave me some ideas for the winter.
Old 10-20-2008, 08:39 AM   #6
MY ADV OP
"ZERO.. POINT.. ZERO"

I burnt two of them up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebaduce
"2: Tape the power connections. Warning: The power leads are very sensitive and the slightest touch of the negative lead to the battery’s positive terminal will burn out the controller in just a few milli-seconds. So wrap them together in electrical tape."

How many did you burn out to arrive at this statement?

Nice Job I like where you placed the knobs on the dash. Gave me some ideas for the winter.
I burned out two of them. The first one was my first one about a year or so ago. The second one was recently when I was doing some maintenance to prepare for winter riding. Thank goodness that they carry a three year warranty.

Old 10-20-2008, 01:10 PM   #7
mookymoo
Mookish Mook

Oddometer: 4,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by MY ADV
Can you get to the fuses by dropping the skidplate - or do you have to unbolt the bottom of the tanks to get that top plate off?

The other place to connect +12V is on the right-hand side, on the starter relay supply-side terminal. Theres an earth post on the engine casing right there too.
mookymoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 02:28 PM   #8
MY ADV OP
"ZERO.. POINT.. ZERO"

Fuse Acsess

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookymoo
Can you get to the fuses by dropping the skidplate - or do you have to unbolt the bottom of the tanks to get that top plate off?
The only way to get to those buggers out is to drop the bash plate and fish tem out. Or remove the top plate for easier access. I packed them with dielectric grease and so far, after may thousands of miles and years they are holding up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mookymoo
The other place to connect +12V is on the right-hand side, on the starter relay supply-side terminal. Theres an earth post on the engine casing right there too.
That sound like a great location to connect to. Ill see about locating some of the wires their next time I get it apart.

Old 10-20-2008, 06:48 PM   #9
mookymoo
Mookish Mook

Oddometer: 4,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by MY ADV
That sound like a great location to connect to. Ill see about locating some of the wires their next time I get it apart.
Here is where I mounted my powerlet 30A fuse holder - you can make out the wiring connection points.

mookymoo is offline   Reply With Quote