Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-06-2009, 10:13 AM   #76
bmw_elvis
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by slide
I can't help with that, but when I had that problem with a KTM SM, I solved it by adjusting tire pressure.
you may also want to check your steering head and triple clamps, if they are properly tightened...
bmw_elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 11:41 AM   #77
Bert Fox
Casual Adventurer

Oddometer: 454
Quote:
Originally Posted by BXM
hi guys, nube to thumpers and dual. just have a quick Q about my steed. my xmoto starts 'shivering' at 150kph and am reluctant to punch it further although I feel it can still take more.

can anyone point me to a compatible steering damper for our machine?

many thanks,
BXM
Be sure your height adjuster on the rear shock is set to it's lowest position. It's not your preload, but the threaded adjuster at the very bottom. A little less preload can help too.
Bert
GNATSASS Great Basin Dualsport/Adventure Bike Tours
Bert Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 07:23 AM   #78
BXM
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_elvis
you may also want to check your steering head and triple clamps, if they are properly tightened...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Fox
Be sure your height adjuster on the rear shock is set to it's lowest position. It's not your preload, but the threaded adjuster at the very bottom. A little less preload can help too.
Bert
many thanks bmw_elvis / Bert Fox. will check out your suggestions. cheers!
BXM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 05:12 PM   #79
johnoh
n00b

Oddometer: 1
dose the xchallenge front wheel fit on the Xmoto?
johnoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 04:59 AM   #80
Solace OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 889
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnoh
dose the xchallenge front wheel fit on the Xmoto?
Yes, but you also need a Challenge axle and spacers, and of course you'll have to lose the Moto front fender.
Solace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 05:39 AM   #81
bmw_elvis
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert Fox
Bert
hey Bert,do you run your xmoto with the shock in its lowest position because you wanted to lower the bike or because you wanted to improve its cornering ability?what are your suspension settings/ride heights front/rear?
do you like the way it rides?

bmw_elvis screwed with this post 11-21-2009 at 06:38 AM
bmw_elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2009, 01:45 PM   #82
Bert Fox
Casual Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_elvis
hey Bert,do you run your xmoto with the shock in its lowest position because you wanted to lower the bike or because you wanted to improve its cornering ability?what are your suspension settings/ride heights front/rear?
do you like the way it rides?
I was too slow to score on the XMoto, so I don't have any set up info. I did find my XCh to be a little skittish in the front end with too much air pressure/pre load. I assume the XMoto would be sensitive to the shock height as well. If it is a little nervous, it would help to run the shock in the low position. I run less compression and rebound on my forks than stock too.
Bert
Old 11-28-2009, 12:59 AM   #83
Bike#8
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
I have a 45 tooth rear sprocket showing up Monday. I'm going to play around with the gearing a bit. Here is a chart showing the rpm/mph for three different set ups in the top three gears.

Bike#8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 08:46 PM   #84
Birdmove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,463
Glad I found this thread. I've ridden for like 48 years and owned a few motorcycles in that time, but never really even considered a BMW (probably due to price). The last week or so I've been trying to read up on the X series bikes, the G650GS, and the F series twins (trying to grope my way through BMWs odd and inconsistent model designations). I have ridden a friends older F650, and liked it. My nearest dealer has a 2007 Xmoto that was a service loaner, and has maybe 2000 miles. They are asking $6000, but I'm thinking, since it a discontinued and seemingly totally overlooked model, maybe I should offer them $5000?? Assuming I enjoy the test ride as much as I think I will. I love the looks of the Xmoto! I remember seeing the KTM Duke at the motorcycle show the first year it came out, and really liked it.But it seemed a little hard-edged to be an only bike.

I don'y need a powerhouse motorcycle.I'm 56 years old now and the wife now has her own ride (SYM HD200 scoote), so I won't be riding two up anymore.I also like the Xcountry very much, but at the price I might be able to get the Xmoto for, I'd jump on it.

Also trying to keep this thread alive. Theres not a whole lot of info in the internet about the Xmoto.
jon
Birdmove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2009, 12:05 PM   #85
Bert Fox
Casual Adventurer

Xmoto

I think the XMoto would make a decent all around bike. All the GX bikes have a small tank albeit with pretty good fuel economy and more and more options for packing fuel. The seats need to be worked on some to bring LD comfort, but that too is easy enough. I am to the point that I would trade my Xch for an Xmoto. Also I don't know where you live but you can check out BMW Daytona and buy brand new Motos for less than your dealer is quoting on a used demo bike.
Bert
Old 12-08-2009, 02:53 PM   #86
Bike#8
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Update on 45 tooth sprocket... the sprocket Wunderlich sent me did not fit. The bolt pattern was too big for the XMoto (Aprilla) hub. Their system shows it as the correct part #, so they will track down the error and fix it. In the meantime I have a 17 tooth front sprocket on the way from Wunderlich. BTW, I posted in my rpm/gear chart that my bike hit 77 mph (speedo reading) at the limiter in 3rd gear. This was 4 mph faster than the gearing indicated. I had a chance to bump the stop in 4th gear, the speedo read ~6 mph faster (97-98 vs 91.7 mph actual). My guess is 5th gear will read 8 mph faster at rev limit than actual (assuming BMW ratio is correct) ~117-118 vs 109.6 mph actual. This is with the stock gear/tire setup. After ~7000 miles the original chain/sprockets show very little wear (photo). I use the teflon chain lube from Lowe's. Very clean product, very, very little sling after it dries. Big difference from the oil lubes I used on the xchallenge, a mess everywhere.

Bike#8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 08:06 PM   #87
pickingone
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Evap canister again?

Guys,

I just bought a 2007 xmoto which I know very little about because the manual doesn't tell me anything.
I came across your posts on this website; awesome by the way. Very informative.
Question? The owner removed the canister with out reading your post first. He just removed the canister and left the upper hoses as is.
However, he did remove the lower hose which I have no idea where it went. I can't connect the tank breather hose to it because its gone.
Where should I extend the tank vent hose to?

Thanks in advance.

Jeff
pickingone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 04:46 PM   #88
satur9
angry black guy

Oddometer: 435
the lower hose just went lower to the ground by the mudshield where the "crosspiece" of the swingarm is. its just so if gas leaks out it will leak on the ground and not your bike. cool another xmoto owner on here.
satur9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 04:57 PM   #89
pickingone
n00b

Oddometer: 8
evap canister

Quote:
Originally Posted by satur9
the lower hose just went lower to the ground by the mudshield where the "crosspiece" of the swingarm is. its just so if gas leaks out it will leak on the ground and not your bike. cool another xmoto owner on here.
Thanks for a quick reply. Look forward spending more time on this site.

Do I need to put a filter on the the drain tube so dust doesn't get sucked into the fuel tank?
pickingone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 05:30 PM   #90
satur9
angry black guy

Oddometer: 435
i dont believe anybody else who removed cannister put on a filter. it wouldnt hurt. but it would probably fall off anyway. id save my money.
satur9 is offline   Reply With Quote