User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-22-2008, 09:10 PM   #16
Dirtnadvil
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 755
Nice pics

I was with a group of guys on duals sports taking a break when you guys stoped by, you were on your way to Calf Creek. I like the pictures of the falls. I had no idea they were that big....next time I will bring some shoes!!!
Dirtnadvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 09:33 PM   #17
Tappet
Feral

Oddometer: 1,451
Wow, very nice photo's. Love to see that part of the world someday
Tappet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 12:24 AM   #18
UT Rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
Antimony Merc . . . good eats . . a must stop. The old Grainery down the road is Osiris.

left Calf Creek in the dark, missed the sights going over devils backbone to Boulder!

Great pics

Old 10-23-2008, 09:45 AM   #19
Signal
Cynical Idealist

Oddometer: 8,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by UT Rider
Antimony Merc . . . good eats . . a must stop. The old Grainery down the road is Osiris.

left Calf Creek in the dark, missed the sights going over devils backbone to Boulder!

Great pics

+1, and good people 'round there.........One very cool road/stretch
Signal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 09:57 AM   #20
Signal
Cynical Idealist

Oddometer: 8,195
Quote:
Originally Posted by T O Double D

I'm planning a trip to this area in mid Nov. Very interested in how cold it's gonna get.

Cheers!
Bryce was 8 deg F last night........ It's 8K feet high, but should be dry, just dress warm
Signal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 03:17 PM   #21
Kodanja OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 510
Day 4 - Boulder to Monument Valley

Today we got to sleep in until sunrise. The air warmed up quickly and by the time we left the Poleís Place the temp was around 52 degrees. We decided to have quick breakfast back at the Boulder Mesa Cafe; country oatmeal with brown sugar and raisins. Then we started down the Burr Trail.

7-mile canyon was incredible and the red-rock walls were magnificant. The canyon was shaded heavily on the east side making for difficult shots because of the high contrast in light and shadow, but I managed to get a few.

The pavement ended and we headed for the famous switchbacks down into the Capitol Reef Waterpocket Fold. Unfortunately, I forgot to get a shot from Strike Valley overlook, but it just gives me a good reason to go back. There was a good view from the switch-backs however all the way to the valley floor. My wife got a little nervous when I maneuvered the bike toward the edge of the road to get a pic from the bike. We did just fine on the dirt and even got up to 50mph on the flats.

We started our way towards Bullfrog and eventually the dirt turned into broken up pavement until we got to the main highway. Although the Waterpocket Fold is not as wonderful as 7-mile canyon, the scenery was still nice. We arrived at Glen Canyon Recreation Area, paid our 7 dollar fee and entered the park. We had over an hour wait for the ferry, so we bought some snacks and a drink and relaxed at the well designed picnic area.

Along the Waterpocket fold on Burr Trail

Coming down into Glen Canyon at Lake Powell

There were a 100ís of boats on Lake Powell, mostly parked under the floating covered berths. The water was blue and rocks were red which made for a striking contrast. The ferry approached and headed over to the landing and boarded. There were only a few cars and it took about 25 minutes to cross. Highway 276 was great with long broad sweepers so we really took off and held our speed about 73mph.

Our goal was to make Monument Valley before sunset to get the shot, but we had a couple of things to see first. After heading down Hwy261 we ventured out to Muley Point Overlook. The road was full of washboards and uneven terrain but no problem for the GS. Since we were there around 4:00pm the distant view was hazy but I took a photo anyway. There was a professional photographer there who was going to wait it out until the sun set. That should make a good shot.

We headed back to the highway and started down the dirt switch-backs of the Moki Dugway. The road is well manicured and the cliffs are very impressive. From below you canít even tell there is a road going up the mountain; the rocks blend in so well.

We passed up Gooseneck Park because the photographer at Muley Point said he was just there and the light is pretty harsh. It would be good to see however, but we needed to get to Monument Valley. I had planned on staying in Mexican Hat, but my wife thought it looked a bit sketchy (probably because it was deserted this time of year). So we decided to stay in Kayenta, AZ. Since we were coming back to Monument Valley for morning shots the distance was the same.

By the time we pulled into Monument Valley there was only about 45 minutes of daylight left, so we parked the bike and set up a spot to shoot the famous Mittens. There were a couple dozen people there all ready with their cameras and a few amateur photographers like me pondering the best shot. Almost anywhere along the visitor center makes a good shot, but this time of the month the sun was setting directly in front of the Mittens which created too flat of light with no cast shadows. I was a bit disappointed and only kept a couple of photos. I knew we were coming out for the sunrise the next morning so I still had my hopes up for a good shot. Here is the next morning's panoramic. I'll post the rest on Day 5.

We headed out and stayed at the Holiday inn at Kayenta; much better accommodations then Mexican Hat. We relaxed in the room and of course went to bed early as we had to get back to Monument Valley at least 20 minutes before sunrise and weíd have 22 miles to cover from Kayenta. I was looking forward to it.
Kodanja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 06:08 PM   #22
Kodanja OP
Studly Adventurer

Day 5 - Monument Valley to Torrey

I fueled up the bike last night so I wouldnít have to deal with it this morning because I knew weíd probably be cutting it close for a sunrise shot of the Mittens in Monument Valley. We had 22 miles to ride and the temperature was 42 degrees, not too bad really since we had got used to the cold mornings. We headed north out of Kayenta, AZ as the morning glow was appearing to the east. It was light enough to throttle up to 78mph and I kept looking over to the east hoping the sun would not come up on the horizon until we got to MV. As we pulled into the park no one was there to take our entrance fee so we just continued up to the parking area and quickly set up. After the camera was on the tripod and the shot was composed all I had to do was wait, so I took a deep breath and was thankful we made it before sunrise.

Even if you donít do photography, thereís something very special about seeing the sunrise and sunset in southern Utah (for that matter, anywhere in the world.) As Cat Stevens puts it, the mornings are Godís new creation. And everyday the sun rises a little further south until the winter solstice when it heads north again, so the view of the creation always changes.

It was quiet and peaceful and all the photographers and non-photographers were patiently waiting for the magical moment with the Mittens in full view. As the sun came up the shots were taken over the next 10 minutes, then the skyís were too bright and slowly the tourists left as other were arriving to spend the day.

We packed up the camera and rode down the bumpy dirt and rocky switch-backs along the 18 mile scenic loop in the valley and took a few more photos. We left the park around 9:00am and headed to our next destination, Natural Bridges National Monument.

As we rode up Moki Dugway we pulled over because we saw this semi-truck with a 40ft trailer coming down. Soon cars were pulling up behind us to avoid this guy. He jack-knifed it around one corner and kept on coming as he took up the entire road. Trailers are limited to only 20ft! Later at the top we saw him trucking along the highway below. Iím sure he saved some time by taking this route but he took a chance of not being able to take the corners. There's no way he could have backed up.

On the way out I remembered that somewhere along this stretch of highway was the famous highway shot featured in Forest Gump but I didnít bother to research where it was. We actually came upon this location on the way down, but because the sun was behind the mountains I didnít recognize it. On the way back heading east I noticed the view in my mirror and told my wife, ďWeíre here...itís right behind us!Ē So, we pulled over and I setup the tripod in the middle of the highway and waiting while cars disappeared out of the scene.

Natural Bridges National Monument seems like it doesnít get the attention like all the other areas in Southern Utah, but believe me itís definitely worth a ride around the 9 mile loop rode. You really need to hike to one of the bridges to take in the natural beauty of the bridges.

Sipapu Bridge

We stopped and walked out to all the lookouts to see the bridges, but we hiked down to Kachina Bridge. The path was well built with carved steps in the massive rocks and built-up steps out of hand carve blocks of stone. There was even a pole rung ladder you had to go down.

Kachina Bridge

We proceeded northward along Hwy 95 to Torrey. The ride through the Hite area was very scenic. We rode to the Lake Powell overlook and strolled to the edge of the cliffs. The ride up the canyon was stunning.

We stopped for fuel and snack at Hanksville, but we were pressed for time to get a sunset photo at Capitol Reef Nat. Park. The ride in along the Fremont River was amazing in the late afternoon light and we arrived at the Visitorís Center about an hour before sunset.

With no time to take the scenic park drive we rode up the highway to Panorama Point and took the dirt road up to Sunset point and a short 1/3 mile hike to the vista. We were there just in time to catch some good rays on the distant mountains. As we came back out we stopped as the sun was casting its last light on Chimney Rock right on Hwy 24.

Time to head into Torrey to find a room, but it turned out that everything was booked because of the last long weekend for school. We were turned down everywhere yet one motel clerk found us a room in Loa. We really wanted to do some photography in the morning at Capitol Reef and I didnít want to ride back 25 miles. It was getting dark and we headed toward Loa. Just outside Torrey I passed a small roadside motel with a vacancy sign on it. Many of the motels said vacancy until you came to the door to see a handwritten sign saying, ďsorry, no rooms,Ē but I thought I try one more time. As we pulled in the hotel owner came walking down from the adjacent home and said they had a room! Oh, what a relief....we didnít have to ride 25 miles in darkness and we could go back to Capitol Reef in the morning, only 7 miles back.
Old 10-23-2008, 06:30 PM   #23
RedRocker
Native Texican

Oddometer: 5,218
Nice pix, can't believe that dumbazz took a big rig down the dugway.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."
RedRocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 10:10 PM   #24
MasterMarine
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,210
Wow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocker
Nice pix, can't believe that dumbazz took a big rig down the dugway.
The last time I was on the Moki Dugway, I could see where a big rig had actually had wheels off the road over thin air and a tall cliff around some of those corners.

Back in the day, the Canyon King, the paddle wheel dinner boat that used to be on Lake Powell at Wahweap, was cut in half longways and brought down the Dugway on its way to Page. That would have been a sight to see!

Kodanja,

I love the pics of Calf Creek Falls. It has been a long time since I was there.

I lived in the area for a long time and for some reason the red rocks in your pictures look a bit darker red than my memory says they should be. What kind of equipment are using for these shots? They are beautiful and make me realize how much I miss the place. It is amazing!

Nice Job!

MasterMarine
MasterMarine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 10:33 PM   #25
viola-tor
Needs to ride!

Oddometer: 2,070
beautiful... speechless. I need to get back there.
viola-tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 12:37 AM   #26
Makalu
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,819
Awesome photos. Thanks for taking us along.

What was the camera setting for the waterfall pics?
Makalu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 04:09 AM   #27
JRW
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 196
Nice work! How did the 2up thing go for you - ie did it cramp your style, or no real difference?
JRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 07:31 AM   #28
Kodanja OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makalu
Awesome photos. Thanks for taking us along.

What was the camera setting for the waterfall pics?
Thanks Makalu,

My zoom was at the widest (18mm.) Setting for the first photo was Shutter Priority, 1/5 sec - F/10 with an exposure comp. of -0.3EV. The main thing was to have a slow shutter speed to soften the water. The second photo, 1/3 sec - F/14 with no exposure comp.
Old 10-24-2008, 07:42 AM   #29
Kodanja OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRW
Nice work! How did the 2up thing go for you - ie did it cramp your style, or no real difference?
We've done a lot of riding 2UP on pavement and dirt, so I'm fairly confident with my wife. The one thing that really helps is that she is an excellent passenger and remains still and calm when we go through a few uneasy spots. I'll stand up through light sand, loose gravel and rough terrain while she maintains her composure. She knows when she has to be still and when she can move around a little...it really make a difference riding 2UP. She's also very careful to keep the bike balanced when she gets on and off....always checking with me before she does. And at high speeds through asphalt twisties, she stays with it and remains centered letting me do the leaning (I can judge the feel of the bike better that way.)

Of course I wouldn't do 2up on say the White Rim Trail, so I do have to be somewhat selective.

Thanks for posting.
Old 10-24-2008, 08:13 AM   #30
Kodanja OP
Studly Adventurer

day 6 - Torrey to Salt Lake City

It would be our last day riding together and as all trips go itís disappointing for it to end, but we still had a great day ahead of us. We had a quick complimentary breakfast at the Boulder View Motel (highly recommended, $65/night) and headed back to Capitol Reef Nat. Park. Itís really amazing to see the park before sunset and then after sunrise....itís like riding into a different park. We rode back down 24 around Hickman Bridge (decided we had enough hiking, so we passed it up) and stopped along the highway for a few pics along the Fremont River and to see the petroglyphs.

It would have been nice to stay around here another day, but we headed on towards Loa and up highway 72. There were many signs warning of "Deer next 8 miles," yet we didn't see any. Plenty of cows though as much of the highway for the next 80 miles was "open range."

Here was a herd coming our way. We just stopped in the highway and let them come through, no sense taking chances even a 5 mph. Then we had to avoid the freshly placed land mines for the next few miles.

it seems that wherever a cow sign was placed on the highway, there were cows.

We headed over Hwy31 and connected up with 132 headed for the Nebo Loop scenic highway. This was a great ride and although many of the aspen leaves had fallen at the alpine elevations, the lower elevations on the north side had some beautiful colors. There were a lot of local riders out when we arrived at Devilís Kitchen and the traffic seemed to get heavier the closer we got to Payson. It think a lot of locals take the drive from Payson to Devilís Kitchen then turn around.

Devil's Kitchen

As we got lower we came around this corner with beautiful colors all around us.

We finally came into town and fueled up before slabbing the rest of the way to Salt Lake City. We stayed at a motel near the airport as my wife would fly out the next morning and I would continue home to Boise with a little side trip to Golden Spike Nat. Mon.

The day ended perfectly with the beautiful fall colors, great twisty road and warm temperatures. We had a pleasant meal and relaxed the rest of the evening.