Old 10-24-2008, 08:55 PM   #46
dave6253 OP
The Tourist

Oddometer: 3,064
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnenem
Great trip, pics and commentary!
Just goes to show, you dont have to ride around the world to have an adventure!
Identity crisis?
Just be thankful that beautiful Aprilla loves you enough to get dirty for ya!
I like em a litte dirty!
More street bike abuse. There ought to be a governmental agency to report this crime to.
Old 10-24-2008, 08:57 PM   #47
Gregster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 971
Awesome pics!
That's some beautiful country I've got to see for myself some day.
Gregster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 09:01 PM   #48
dave6253 OP
The Tourist

Eek Canadian Rockies Rock!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregster
Awesome pics!
That's some beautiful country I've got to see for myself some day.
That's exactly what I said about your Country!

This Summer!
Old 10-24-2008, 09:38 PM   #49
Gregster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 971
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave6253
That's exactly what I said about your Country!

This Summer!
That's Bow lake in Alberta on the Icefields Parkway between Lake Louise and Jasper isn't it? I lived in Jasper for 14 years and know that road well. Been living on the east coast for the past 6 years and miss the West a lot.
The South West looks very cool indeed - thanks for the look man.
Gregster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 09:45 PM   #50
dave6253 OP
The Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregster
That's Bow lake in Alberta on the Icefields Parkway between Lake Louise and Jasper isn't it? I lived in Jasper for 14 years and know that road well. Been living on the east coast for the past 6 years and miss the West a lot.
The South West looks very cool indeed - thanks for the look man.
You are correct! Awesome Road! There are plenty of pics from Jasper, Alberta and the Icefields Parkway in this summers RR.
Old 10-24-2008, 10:36 PM   #51
xdbx
Motorcycle Connoisseur

Oddometer: 2,493
Quote:
Doug, Excellent description and advice for riding washboards. I've thought about fitting some road-oriented knobbies for a ride to Alaska, but they usually aren't sized for 17 inch fronts. Dunlop makes a tire similar to road racing rain tires, but they wouldn't wear long. Does anyone know of semi-knobbies for ST sized rims?
You're referring to the D616's. I ran a set on the fut and actually really liked them. Tire wear is very personal in my opinion, but I got ~ 7,000 out of my rear pirelli strada, as well as the metzlers you have on yours. I wound up replacing the dunlop set at ~5,000 but they were NOT fully worn. Wouldn't call them "quick wearing" at all.
xdbx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 11:01 PM   #52
E900Vadar
The Dark Fant

Oddometer: 248
Thumb Nice!

Great Pictures, very nice!
E900Vadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 12:51 AM   #53
sixer
I suffer from Ainrofilac

Oddometer: 1,220
Just amazing pictures. I just moved to the South West and have soooooo many place I want to explore. Keep them coming.

Support your local Search and Rescue Teams.
sixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 11:33 PM   #54
dave6253 OP
The Tourist

Cool2 Boulder Mountain

I head across Boulder Mountain on the perfect habitat for my Aprilia, Utah 12!
I find real cowboys driving cattle down the middle of the road to lower elevations for the coming winter.

The views from the top of Boulder Mountain would have been a little better before the leaves fell.

Is that Capitol Reef?

I stop in Torrey for gas, water, snacks, and a foot-long Subway sandwich. I head north on the 72 into the Fishlake National Forest. Fishlake is at 8800' above sea level so I don't want to camp there. It will be a cold night. I planned to ride further north on the 72, since it has been recommended as a fun motorcycle road. The road continues to climb in elevation so I stop to set up camp next to Forsyth Reservoir. All the sage brush had me fooled. I didn't realize I was already 7900 feet above sea level until I checked the map at home. It's gonna be a chilly night! I eat my sandwich next to the lake and crawl into a cold tent.

The Day 2 Map, Only 251 miles

Tomorrow I check out Fishlake, Utah 12, Cedar Breaks NM, and Zion NP!

dave6253 screwed with this post 10-26-2008 at 11:10 PM
dave6253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 12:04 AM   #55
dave6253 OP
The Tourist

Day 3, Fishlake and Utah 12

I barely survived the night. Brrrr!

I scrape the ice off the bike and tent. I warm myself with a hot breakfast.

I head up the a perfect twisty asphalt road to Fishlake. I wearing my winter gloves, so I must stop to shoot photos.

It looks like winter here.

Fishlake mirrors the mountains and aspens.

I shoot the Aprilia.

She shoots me!

I'm hoping to warm up after dropping into the valley, but I found a roadside ice sculpture!

I retrace my ride back to Boulder. No need to photo the same roads as yesterday. The light is not as good today anyway. I finally warm up and use this sandy pulloff to remove layers.

Metzler Sand Tire

Utah 12, The road and scenery conspire to create the perfect motorcycle experience!

Old 10-26-2008, 12:47 AM   #56
dave6253 OP
The Tourist

The Conspiracy Continues

Utah 12

It's hard to keep the eyes on the road!

I found a Dutch Tourist in a rented RV to shoot me. No matter where you are in the world you can always find a Dutchman. My wife is from Holland, and we have tested this theory often.

My camera battery and my stomach are running on empty when we pull into Escalante. I see a gas station with a Subway. There are electrical outlets on the front of the building. I decide to steal a few cents of energy to charge up the camera. I sneak my charger in, planning to pass the time relaxing with a foot-long sandwich, but it's Sunday and the store was locked up tight. In fact the entire town looked dead, except for the constant flow of tourists paying for gas at the pump. I decide to cook my own lunch in the parking lot while I wait and set up the Jetboil. I start to feel a little guilty stealing electricity and loitering in the parking lot. I'm wondering when I will be run off for my vagrancy when a dark blue 4 x 4 pickup roars into the parking lot and directly towards me. Oh crap! Here we go. The truck parks at an angle behind my bike, just as I would expect a small town sheriff to. The man jumps out of the cab and yells, "What are you doing"? I began to meekly explain my innocence when he introduced hiumself as "The Desert Doctor"!

Hey, I know you. I've read several RRs here with stories of The Desert Doctor, the only motorcycle mechanic in an area full of motorcycle tourists wearing tires out on the Utah Roads. He was actually quite friendly. He offered his card and a sticker. While I eat I watch him running back and forth on Main Street chasing down every passing motorcycle. He seemed to be a decent guy with an entreprenuer's spirit of advertising his business. He said he is from Chicago, and broke down in this town 25 years ago. After being stranded here for 1 month he decided to hang around. I read a RR last week with photos of huge stacks of tires with the rider's country of origin painted on each. He had tires from all over the world. I asked him about this. He said he had to remove the tire stacks from his property because someone complained. I don't know if I could recommend his services since I've never dealt with him, but others here posted good experiences with him. If you ever find yourself with bike problems in Escalante, Utah, Don't worry, he will find you. Unlike the other businesses in town, he claims to be open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

The Desert Doctor returns later on his bike while chasing down a couple from Salt Lake City on a ST1300. I fire up the camera and he allowed me to shoot him. I noticed he had a pretty bald front tire, for a guy who sells and changes tires for a living. Quite a character.

A sign next to the gas station said a rest area was down a side street. I found this place. The water spigot outside was locked. There were clean bathrooms with sinks large enough to fill up my water bottles and shampoo my hair! Thanks, Potato Valley Lion's Club!

I spend more than an hour in Escalante and leave fully refreshed. Time to get back on the road...

dave6253 screwed with this post 10-26-2008 at 12:55 AM
Old 10-26-2008, 01:06 AM   #57
dave6253 OP
The Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdbx
You're referring to the D616's. I ran a set on the fut and actually really liked them. Tire wear is very personal in my opinion, but I got ~ 7,000 out of my rear pirelli strada, as well as the metzlers you have on yours. I wound up replacing the dunlop set at ~5,000 but they were NOT fully worn. Wouldn't call them "quick wearing" at all.
xdbx, That's the tire I considered. I'm glad to hear the wear isn't an issue. They aren't too expensive either. Did you find traction to be improved in loose conditions? I would guess it should be close to other road-biased dualsport tires. The tread is pretty aggressive. Were there any noticable traction or handling issues on the road?

http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/tire...=93&imagenum=2

BTW, I usually get 7000 miles out of rear tires also, unless I ride in Utah. Did you notice decreased tire life there, or is it just me?

dave6253 screwed with this post 10-26-2008 at 01:11 AM
Old 10-26-2008, 03:54 AM   #58
SpitfireTriple
Seek Truth

Oddometer: 876
This tour is even better than Mount Graham and the Coronado Trail
Quote:
Every ADVrider should have a photo with the ADV Salute Rock.
Clever the way you got the shadow in too.

Dave, you really are handy with that camera of yours. A Panasonic TZ5 IIRC.

But we already knew that the Futura is the world's best off-roader

2002 Aprilia RST 1000 Futura Me too
Someday a KTM Adventure! Me too!
Though I take a perverse pleasure in taking the Futura off-road.

SpitfireTriple screwed with this post 10-26-2008 at 12:18 PM
SpitfireTriple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 07:03 AM   #59
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Oddometer: 10,104
The Burr Trail!

Gee, those are the best pics ever of the Burr Trail. I had one chance to take that route in 2005 heading east. Unfortunately, had big storms overnite and the ranger in Boulder told me the wash was flooded outside Bullfrog Landing.

I did a lot of other dirt roads, though, along the North Rim through Mexican Hat. I know what you mean about that soft stuff. The first time I hit it, I thought I had a flat and was going down! And I even had a decent tire...

Thanks for the report. A great part of the world you live in.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 09:35 AM   #60
dave6253 OP
The Tourist

Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpitfireTriple
Clever the way you got the shadow in too.

Dave, you really are handy with that camera of yours. A Panasonic TZ5 IIRC.

But we already knew that the Futura is the world's best off-roader

2002 Aprilia RST 1000 Futura Me too
Someday a KTM Adventure! Me too!
Though I take a perverse pleasure in taking the Futura off-road.
SpitfireTriple, Great minds think alike!

You should have put your excellent ride report here where there is much more traffic.

If you enjoy my RR, check out the link SpitfireTriple has to his Aprilia Forum RR. I highly recommend it. It has excellent photos and narrative with lots of adventure in a different part of the world.