Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-26-2008, 08:49 AM   #61
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

Oddometer: 2,944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantah
Gee, those are the best pics ever of the Burr Trail. I had one chance to take that route in 2005 heading east. Unfortunately, had big storms overnite and the ranger in Boulder told me the wash was flooded outside Bullfrog Landing.

I did a lot of other dirt roads, though, along the North Rim through Mexican Hat. I know what you mean about that soft stuff. The first time I hit it, I thought I had a flat and was going down! And I even had a decent tire...

Thanks for the report. A great part of the world you live in.
Pantah, This is the wash the ranger was talking about. There is soo much dirt carried onto the roadway I wouldn't want to try it when flooded. Notice the piles of dirt alongside the roadway.
Old 10-26-2008, 09:33 AM   #62
Andres A
FINDING NEMO

Oddometer: 244
awesome, nice pic's, lovely UTAH.
Old 10-26-2008, 10:05 AM   #63
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

Utah 12, Through Red Canyon

Approaching the turnoff to Bryce Canyon I resist the urge to ride there again. I've got a few more new roads to ride today.

Red Canyon was fun!

Still to come on Day 3 is Ceder Breaks National Monument and Zion National Park!
Old 10-26-2008, 10:08 AM   #64
viola-tor
Needs to ride!

Oddometer: 2,071
dude! Awesome, some of my favorite country too! I highly approve of your tent, I have the same one! I also was caught off guard by the elevation at Fish Lake a couple years ago, ended up sleeping in my leathers and rain gear, brrrr indeed! I've considered making "12" my unofficial number, mainly because of the incredible rides I've had on UT hwy 12.

Beautiful pics and nice bike! Keep 'em coming.
viola-tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 10:32 AM   #65
wayno
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,199
This is great....thanks
wayno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 10:08 PM   #66
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

Day 3 Continues

I ride to Panguitch and head back into the mountains to Brian Head and Cedar Breaks National Monument.

The ride is splendid! My bike approves of the route choice.

I find snow left over from last weekends storm.

Cedar Breaks

I race back east on another perfect mountain road along Duck Creek. I head west towards Zion National Park. The buffalo roam free... within the fence. Kinda like a bike on a trailer...

Old 10-26-2008, 10:39 PM   #67
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

My Favorite Place on Earth

Zion National Park

Checkerboard Mesa

I snap a few photos riding through the park. I've taken hundreds of photos here before and I was riding directly into the sun much of the time, so I didn't shoot very many.

I was here camping with my wife and kids last weekend! We have visited Zion NP as a family twice this year for a total of nine days. Maybe I'll post some of my better photos of Zion later in this RR.

I stop in Springdale just west of the park for snacks and firewood. I plan to have my first camp fire of the trip tonight.

West of the park at mile marker 24 you can find an excellent free camping spot right on the Virgin River. The entrance looks like this. There are no signs. It's just west of mile marker 24 on the south side.

You may want to file this tidbit away if you ever plan to camp in Zion. The park has only 2 large campgrounds. The Watchman Campground is by reservation only. The South Campground is first come. Plan to get there in the morning if you hope to find a spot before they fill up. Often you must snag a spot as soon as last nights campers leave. Both campground are pretty primitive and crowded, and have no showers. I'd rather camp for free...

The road is bumpy and often has deep sand.

My view for the night.

I set up my tent at the edge of the river. After being cold last night I'm happy to be camping at about 4300 feet tonight.

Tomorrow I plan to eat breakfast on Lava Point overlooking Zion Canyon!

dave6253 screwed with this post 10-26-2008 at 10:50 PM
dave6253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 10:05 AM   #68
BeniciaRT_GT
Reformed Hoon

Oddometer: 39
Quote:
I head up the a perfect twisty asphalt road to Fishlake. I wearing my winter gloves, so I must stop to shoot photos.

I just took the same pic a few weeks before you so I got to be amongst all the changing trees.

What great pictures and a fantastic report!

Keep it coming please!
BeniciaRT_GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 10:58 AM   #69
Downhill Dave
Busco aventura

Oddometer: 618
So are you wearing heated eqpt or just getting by with electric grips? Looks like a blast though a might chilly...

Keep it coming.
Downhill Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 04:26 PM   #70
xdbx
Motorcycle Connoisseur

Oddometer: 2,493
I never went far enough on gravel or other "offroad" travels on my futura for me to tell. Like I said, I purchsed the GS because I wanted to do more of that. That, and I did a when progressive refunded me over $4000 for the damage I did in Raton. Thanks, but no thanks, if ya know what I mean.

I would guess they're really not that much better though. The biggest problem with taking the futura's off road is the wide tires. Larger contact patch, great for pavement, terrible for digging into gravel or sand. Also, the 17" front wheel skeered me. I had to do a pretty long gravel road to get to that outlook in Canon City, CO, with the pictures of that gorge. I didn't feel like I could stop or turn, so some of the long sweepers I had to do in segments of straight lines.

I only went through a few sets of tires, and the diablo strada's I had on for the utah trip were my longest lasting tires, but I CAN tell you that most of what I/we road was hardcore chipseal. When I went through arizona, I was leaving black strips behind me, and the black patch up strips were soft like chewing gum. That said, I always run higher pressures, 36/42 if I remember correctly. Tires are personal, there's no real point in comparing. Give 'em a shot. At least they look sweet, and they worked great in the rain. If you don't like 'em, it's big smokey burnout time. Maybe you'll get on the front page with the pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave6253
xdbx, That's the tire I considered. I'm glad to hear the wear isn't an issue. They aren't too expensive either. Did you find traction to be improved in loose conditions? I would guess it should be close to other road-biased dualsport tires. The tread is pretty aggressive. Were there any noticable traction or handling issues on the road?

http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/tire...=93&imagenum=2

BTW, I usually get 7000 miles out of rear tires also, unless I ride in Utah. Did you notice decreased tire life there, or is it just me?
xdbx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 04:29 PM   #71
xdbx
Motorcycle Connoisseur

Oddometer: 2,493
Big Smokey Burnout Instructions

In the background of this:

is this:

Simply follow suit
xdbx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 09:55 AM   #72
pilotfish
subnewbie

Oddometer: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by manfromthestix
I live in Virginia now where the scenery and geology are completely obscurred by frigging trees.
Only a geologist could complain about that!

Great pictures, Dave...
Old 10-28-2008, 05:47 PM   #73
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeniciaRT_GT
I just took the same pic a few weeks before you so I got to be amongst all the changing trees.

What great pictures and a fantastic report!

Keep it coming please!
Excellent photos! I figured the area around Fishlake would be much prettier with some leaves on the aspens. My photos of the area look a little drab and wintry.

BTW, I like that K1200 GT. I may rent one for a trip to the alps next summer.
Old 10-28-2008, 05:53 PM   #74
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Downhill Dave
So are you wearing heated eqpt or just getting by with electric grips? Looks like a blast though a might chilly...

Keep it coming.
Downhill Dave, (skier?)

Neither! I have no heated gear or grips. Actually the weather was perfect for riding most of the time. The weekend before this trip the area had a winter storm with cold temps and snow showers. I had the one cold night and chilly mornings, but the daytime temps were usually 60s or greater.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:17 PM   #75
dave6253 OP
Dauntless

Day 4 Kolob Terraces Road, Zion National Park

I must negotiate the bumpy and sandy drive out of the camping area.

The sun rises over the camping area as seen from the road. The area is signed for legal camping and is often crowded. The signs are not visible from the road. You must know where it is. Often RVs can be seen from the road.

Today is the ride home... BORING! But first I plan to ride up Kolob Terraces Road and have my breakfast at Lava Point.

Here's a map of Kolob Terraces Road.

I'll let the photos speak for themselves...

On top of the plateau, the scenery changes from high desert to forests of evergreens, aspens, and meadows.

Blue Springs Reservoir

Next up, Kolob Reservoir and Lava Point!