You talkin' to me?

Oddometer: 6,706
thanks whitewater
hardwaregrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 09:50 AM   #33
hardwaregrrl OP
You talkin' to me?

Had some weird Canadian take on chinese food. Tony warned me it wouldn't be quite what I expected, but the Molson hit the spot!! Hooked the old girl up on trickle for the nite and slept like a rock.
terracebay
So the plan was for me to head to Thunder Bay and find the Excalibur crew to see what they could do to get my ass home...I woke up to a newspaper clipping with the address, hope I can make it!!
niceview
Dang this place is beautiful!!
Old 10-25-2008, 05:38 PM   #34
GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,282
Howdy neighbor. Really enjoying the report. Please finish it.
GA. DUALSPORT WANTAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 11:49 PM   #35
configurationspace
delooper

Oddometer: 8,574
Photo from almost the same place, but 5 years ago.

Once you get to Manitoba the Chinese-Canadian food starts to include pierogies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardwaregrrl
Had some weird Canadian take on chinese food.
niceview
Dang this place is beautiful!!
configurationspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 07:15 PM   #36
hardwaregrrl OP
You talkin' to me?

I just can't stress enough how gorgeous it is up here on the northern end of lake superior. Just breathtaking, and the people never let me down. I had so many people asking me questions every time I stopped. No one even looked at me in the states, and the funny thing about the Canadians, they thought I was nuts to be riding at this time of the year!! I'm not staying, just passing through.!! Maybe it was because I'm a woman and I'm by myself, but that didn't feel like the reason, I just think they thought I was nuts. But boy, they kept me company, I never felt like I was alone will in Canada. Anyway, I made it to Thunder Bay and found my way to Excalibur. Those guys were on it straight away. I explained the situation and that I needed to get home under my own power and not a U-Haul. Well, they are pretty limited in BMW airhead knowledge, but made up for it in a McGuyver way!!! Larry, the owner, welcomed me with open arms and then had to leave to play hockey. You Crazy Cannucks!! And Billy and his service boys came up with this crazy idea...battery
Old 10-26-2008, 07:21 PM   #37
hardwaregrrl OP
You talkin' to me?

Anybody need a battery for you boat? Only used for 3 days. Well, they got me back on the road with just enough daylight left to make it to Duluth MN. I bought a battery charger and Billy figured I could ride with no headlights for about 8 hours, then an overnite charge should keep me going till I hit Atlanta. So off I went ... Didn't get pics of the boys at Excalibur, but heres me leaving...excalibur
Cinthetrees
Old 10-27-2008, 02:11 PM   #38
hardwaregrrl OP
You talkin' to me?

So off to Minnesota, you betcha!!! It was a bit off a scary ride for me. Having that extra 60lbs strapped so high just made the bike pretty hard to handle. As it is, I am only 5'4" and I can barely reach the kickstand to get it up, so everytime I parked I had to strategically place myself parralel to a curb so I could weight my right foot enough to reach the stand. Well I decided to take a little break north of Duluth, just outside of Grand Marais at Cascade River State Park. And wouldn't you just know it, I put a bit too much weight on the kickstand while I dismounted and it bent!!
downagain
Awww shit...this isn't going to be fun. Glad I just filled my tank with a gazillion gallons, oh look, it's purging itself for me..! Now it'll be eaiser to pick up?
Old 10-29-2008, 10:23 AM   #39
hardwaregrrl OP
You talkin' to me?

Now, I'm not one to usually ask for help. I am pretty pigheaded and I really can throw my small size around pretty good. Been in construction for 15 years and I can hold my own with the best of them. But shit, I was really tired and came pretty close to breaking down. Can you believe 5 people drove by me and didn't stop or even call out the window to see if I was okay?! Is this what cagers expect to see out of a motorcyclist, or are they all as blind as we suspect. I got to a little argument with my sister about health insurance while I was visiting in Michigan. She constantly bitches at me about getting ins. I try to explain the costs are staggering and I'm not married to someone who works in hospital that provides their employees wonderful health insurance. I also stated that until I get a straight answer about coverage in the event of a motorcycle crash by an insurance agent, I'm not going to pay upwards of 400$/month if it isn't going to do dick for me!!! She doesn't blame them a bit for denying us coverage. She actually stated this: "When I see a 'biker' going 80mph on the highway, I think he's asking for it! So I don't blame Insurance companys one bit for not covering you!!" I really hate ignorance. I knew I smelled something.
foxy
Old 10-30-2008, 05:59 PM   #40
hardwaregrrl OP
You talkin' to me?

So i finally flagged somebody down and asked them for help. His response: "what do you need?". Really, you don't notice anything weird about my bike?! God, people can be really stupid. Anyway, he helped me get it back on the stand, and I reloaded. On to Duluth. Man, that highway system through Duluth is nuts!! The exit and entrance ramps are all decreasing radius curves and they are super short. It was quite a job finding my way to the Aerostich factory. And it seemed to be in a pretty seedy part of town. But I was glad to be there. Got myself a Wolfman tank bag, some ear plugs, and helmet speakers. It was cool to see where my suit was made, you couldn't pry this thing away from me. I love it. Here's a bad pic of the bike out front.
aerostich
Old 11-04-2008, 02:23 PM   #41
hardwaregrrl OP
You talkin' to me?

So, my plan was to get south of Duluth and then get a hotel room. I was nervous to ride with the headlight, not knowing how long I would have on the battery. So I hauled ass a few exits south. Started getting nervous about a place to sleep, and pulled off the first exit with a lodging sign. Whoa, scary ass motor lodge, the clerk walked with a really strange limp and had a crazy lisp. Fly strips in the lobby, that kind of thing. So got back on the Hway to Duluth and found a red roof inn where I was treated very well. If you're ever in Proctor MN, stay and the RRI. the girl at the counter gave me the room closest to the parking lot and got me intouch with a really good pizzeria. Pizza, stella and Kat Von D, what could be better.
Old 11-04-2008, 05:45 PM   #42
bemiiten
League of Adventures

Oddometer: 4,777
I'm enjoying this one.
bemiiten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 07:33 PM   #43
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,555
Gotta love this grl...

uses a great big tank and is a "nasty minded little fucker"! That's a cool mf. I live right off HW 69 and always liked the thought of it. Keep up the great RR , Thanks for your time putting it all up.
Throttlemeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 04:47 PM   #44
hardwaregrrl OP
You talkin' to me?

So, gotta back up a bit. while I was at excalibur in Thunder Bay, I had to call my buddies and see what there take on the situation was. I now know what went wrong, but being bymyself having little electrical knowledge, and no voltmeter with me I was just worried about getting home under my own power. I should;ve cracked my BMW anonymous, or my airhead book, but I didn't. Nathan Mende and Dean Graham of Boxerworks in Watkinsville GA are my lifelines. These guys are always on the mark, I've only known them a short while, but consider them very good friends. They tried to get all the info out of me to diagnose the problem. Then walk me through the repair. I have since been given a lesson in airhead electrical managament, and have Rick jones book on order. Okay, back to it. I left Proctor MN bound for Champaign Il. Pretty uneventful ride except for the weather. Again, high 30's and raining, I was stopping quite a bit to warm up my hands and feet. So sorry to all the travelers along highway 53. "Yes, the hand dryers do smell like vinegar." I made it to the next red roof inn in champaign. And, it was homecoming!!! Party city, almost didn't get a room!!! Got the battery off and on charge and headed out for some beer. I walked about a mile and a half to the gas station that didn't sell beer!!! No, no, no,...shit. Now what? Well, theres a steak house? why not. Man, this place was awesome!!! Alexanders steak house at exit 182 of 74, you can cook your own steak?! WTF!! So cook it I did. Hung out with the bartender and manager, and they were very interested in what I had been doing over the last 9 days. I do stick out a bit being so heavily tattooed, so people really like to pick my brain. Formed a little bond with the staff which resulted in them giving me a few bottles of blue moon to go!!! Nighty-nite...no camera
Old 11-05-2008, 05:01 PM   #45
hardwaregrrl OP
You talkin' to me?

stones1

meandcorn