User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2008, 02:25 PM   #31
kadesean
eyesuck

Oddometer: 970
Bingo!

"The bike has a lot to like, and the suspension shortcomings can be fixed with $. My personal opinion, is that BMW marketed the image of an adventure bike, but thought that most of their customers would never take it off pavement and valved it accordingly. They also managed to save a few bucks in the process."

+1 Even with the more dirt oriented 21" front hoop BMW knows that many owners won't take it any more off-road than any other bike. Aren't they also saving money by having the motor built in the Far East??

1992 BMW R100GS
2005 BMW R1200GS
kadesean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 04:12 PM   #32
WoodWorks
House Ape

Oddometer: 2,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadesean
Aren't they also saving money by having the motor built in the Far East??
Not unless you think Austria is part of the Far East.

David

I'm tryin' ta think, but nuttin' happens!
--Curly
WoodWorks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 04:21 PM   #33
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,479
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterJ
Itsatdm... any thoughts on 2.5wt fork oil instead of the 5wt? You said what you did made it better.... how much better? On a 1-10 scale of harshness I'd say the stock forks are a solid 8. Your set up? I took my bike down a powerline trail today and I've decided something's gotta be done...
On your scale i would rate it a 5. If I had access to an oil that light, I would have used it. I was worried about the effects on rebound and just general control of the fork, but did not find any detrimental effects using the lighter oil.
itsatdm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 04:52 PM   #34
MonsterJ
I have motopsychosis

Oddometer: 262
Cool.... thanks for the info. I'll be putting some 2.5wt fork oil on order. I'll report back once I get it completed.

edit: You say went with a 70mm air gap... stock is 90mm, right?

MonsterJ screwed with this post 11-01-2008 at 04:57 PM
MonsterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 05:05 PM   #35
Ed@Ford
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,427
If I had access to an oil that light, I would have used it. I was worried about the effects on rebound and just general control of the fork, but did not find any detrimental effects using the lighter oil.[/QUOTE]

ATF is about SAE 2.5, and is loaded with anti-foam agents...makes decent fork oil
Ed@Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 05:40 PM   #36
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterJ
Cool.... thanks for the info. I'll be putting some 2.5wt fork oil on order. I'll report back once I get it completed.

edit: You say went with a 70mm air gap... stock is 90mm, right?
Stock air gap for the 800 is 60mm
Old 11-01-2008, 05:55 PM   #37
Nemesis
just ride the damn thing

Oddometer: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm
My personal opinion, is that BMW marketed the image of an adventure bike, but thought that most of their customers would never take it off pavement and valved it accordingly. They also managed to save a few bucks in the process.
Your joking, right?

The R1200GS is taken offroad all the time around here, even with its 19" front rim, higher weight, and wider stance. Not to mention all the F650 singles, F650 twins, Xcountys, Xchallenges, R11xxGSs, old airhead GSs, and everything else. I seriously doubt BMW thought the F800GS would never be taken off pavement.

Take a look at the Touratech "End of the Rains" DVD if you don't think the F800GS is intended for "off pavement".

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats " - H. L. Mencken
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 07:10 PM   #38
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis
Your joking, right?

The R1200GS is taken offroad all the time around here, even with its 19" front rim, higher weight, and wider stance. Not to mention all the F650 singles, F650 twins, Xcountys, Xchallenges, R11xxGSs, old airhead GSs, and everything else. I seriously doubt BMW thought the F800GS would never be taken off pavement.

The reality probably is, though, that the riding represented here on this forum does not accurately reflect what the majority of owners will do with their machines. (Much like SUV's, and every "big trailie" ever made).

If you compromise too far toward the offroad end of the spectrum, you get behavior that the majority of street biased riders (which in reality are probably the majority of riders) would find undesirable.

The harshness of my suspension has mellowed quite a bit in the first 500 miles. Still not by any means plush, but also not as damn jarring over most stuff like it was. It still doesn't like sharp-edged stuff, though.

Perhaps interestingly, I found it much nicer on a backroads trip the other morning when the temp was around freezing. It did get harsher (back to "normal") as the temp warmed up later in the day. Had me contemplating actually trying a thicker fork oil.

TDM -- how much of the fork travel are you seeing used? I just put a zip tie on tonight so I can keep track over some varied terrain.

BTW, on mine, the "clack" if anything external, is definitely the rotor/buttons. I'd postulate that if you're not hearing it anymore, you're getting enough compliance on initial fork deflection to keep them from slapping.

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA

Get your sweet Pyndon DakARTwork here

Pyndon '13
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 07:25 PM   #39
WoodWorks
House Ape

Quote:
Your joking, right?

The R1200GS is taken offroad all the time around here...
Your insights are valued here, Nemesis. But because you don't deign to give us a clue where the f**k "around here" is in your profile, we can't calibrate our expectations. Care to clue us in?

David

--Curly
Old 11-01-2008, 08:10 PM   #40
Shadetree
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
F800GS off road...

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...394192&page=13

I'm pretty sure my friends who took part in the event above missed the memo on keeping the 8GS on pavement. Other than a broken chain and one rider who was hard on clutches, I hear the bikes held up fantastic. And while we're on the subject, please join me in congratulating the US team on their win in Tunisia!

Bill Dragoo
Norman, Oklahoma
Shadetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 08:13 PM   #41
Nemesis
just ride the damn thing

Oddometer: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodWorks
Care to clue us in?

David
No

Ok, a clue.

For me, the sun does rise over the Cascades and set over the Coast Range.

"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats " - H. L. Mencken
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 09:07 PM   #42
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadetree
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...394192&page=13

I'm pretty sure my friends who took part in the event above missed the memo on keeping the 8GS on pavement. Other than a broken chain and one rider who was hard on clutches, I hear the bikes held up fantastic. And while we're on the subject, please join me in congratulating the US team on their win in Tunisia!

Bill Dragoo
Norman, Oklahoma
Not a lot of rocks in thoses pics. Congratulations
Old 11-01-2008, 09:13 PM   #43
WoodWorks
House Ape

Quote:
For me, the sun does rise over the Cascades and set over the Coast Range.
Ah.

David

--Curly
Old 11-02-2008, 01:14 PM   #44
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,457
Stiff forks

FWIW, Factory Connection revalved and set up the front forks of my KTM 625 SMC. (WP 48mm USD) The end result was a very easily ridden and plush suspension off-road. Downside is that if I grab a handful of brake on road, the big-ass 4 piston Brembo can actually force full suspension travel in the fork. Not bottoming, but full use of travel. In the long run though, as I ride like a grandma on road and was more concerned wih offroad performance I'm very happy with the change. I'd contact them before messing with it myself (since I know squat!) and see if they will take on the challenge...
It wasn't expensive if compared to the price of replacement parts if this thread is any indication either! http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=400887
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 06:27 PM   #45
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,458
Hmm, I live just down the road from a factory connection shop. Wonder if they'd like a guinea pig bike...

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA

Get your sweet Pyndon DakARTwork here

Pyndon '13
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote