User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2008, 05:59 PM   #61
J Lewis
Numb Nuts

Oddometer: 495
95% of the time on the pegs.
Especially if you want the bike to do something.
J Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 07:43 PM   #62
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,409
The one thing I have noticed, is that the faster speed I can get over terrain like I showed in the picture the smoother the bike becomes. Unfortunately there are not many places where I ride, that I could maintain 40-50mph.
I am not too worried about the high end of the scale
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 07:46 PM   #63
jessehere
Ridin'

Oddometer: 763
my front end has a plastic sounding clack, when i drive up a normal driveway (inch & a half curb) at about anything above 5mph. it is definitely not bottoming. its seems very stiff in the first portion of travel. i thought it was the floating brake rotors. like Jimmy says; could be some plastic bits on the lower fender. it's annoying and would like to get to the bottom of it.b
jessehere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 08:42 PM   #64
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

I got the feeling that Jimmy is on a whole different plane than most of us.
I would like to have asked at what speeds did the suspension feel undersprung and under dampened. I think it was something more than the 2nd and 3rd gear stuff I am riding over.
Old 11-03-2008, 09:30 PM   #65
Django Loco
Banned

Oddometer: 3,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
Stock Mine had 1400Kms on it when I first saw it. All had some; Some had more, some less. I dont think they were special press bikes in any way.
Wow, that Tunisia rally looked pretty fancy! All matching suits and brand new bikes! No wonder BMW get good reviews ..... by the way,
who pays for all this? BMW I'd guess?

Since I saw no other bike other than a F800GS! Hey, guess that makes the F800 "World Champion"!

Is it a real rally or a guided tour?

Looks like a great sand bike .....

Are all you guys BMW employees/contractors? or just Jimmy?
Looks like you earned your money on that ride!
Django Loco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 04:29 AM   #66
J Lewis
Numb Nuts

We were mostly 1 and 2nd gear, 10-30 KMh when off-road.

What tire pressure are you running?
What tires?

Instead of trying to throw blame, lets try and figure out the problem. I only have my opinion, I'm trying to see the other side so I know more about the bike.

And trust me, I don't work for BMW like that. I just used to race for them and helped out with the HP2 and do some Xplor stuff.

JIMMY
Old 11-04-2008, 04:45 AM   #67
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Django Loco
Since I saw no other bike other than a F800GS! Hey, guess that makes the F800 "World Champion"!

Is it a real rally or a guided tour?

Wouldn't make much sense to have a bunch of KTM thumpers in the GS Trophy, now, would it?

It was not a speed rallye, but a brand-based challenge. But you already knew that.

Quote:

Are all you guys BMW employees/contractors? or just Jimmy?
Looks like you earned your money on that ride!

Jimmy is hardly fawning over the bike, if you've bothered to read his commentary. I doubt there's anyone else out there at this point with the combination of seat time, technical bike knowledge, and ability to articulate the whole mess that Jimmy's got.

Unless you happen to be a subject matter expert.

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA

Get your sweet Pyndon DakARTwork here

Pyndon '13
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 05:56 AM   #68
kktos
on a bright side of life

Oddometer: 2,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by PackMule
Jimmy is hardly fawning over the bike, if you've bothered to read his commentary. I doubt there's anyone else out there at this point with the combination of seat time, technical bike knowledge, and ability to articulate the whole mess that Jimmy's got.
yep.
JL is before everything a rider and an excellent one.
listen to the guy. we all learn something, that's for sure.
kktos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 09:48 AM   #69
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Lewis
We were mostly 1 and 2nd gear, 10-30 KMh when off-road.

What tire pressure are you running?
What tires?

Instead of trying to throw blame, lets try and figure out the problem. I only have my opinion, I'm trying to see the other side so I know more about the bike.

And trust me, I don't work for BMW like that. I just used to race for them and helped out with the HP2 and do some Xplor stuff.

JIMMY
I agree, I just want to fix it so I can ride in the terrain nearest me in a confortable manner. I don't have the skill to ride it at race speeds and too much invested to do it if I could.
Packmule you are right, it is the small amplitude stuff, inbeded rock, pothles, even tar strips. Fast or slow, standing or sitting they deliver a shock through the handlebars. Frankly at the speeds I ride I am not having issues with berms, softer terrain and the like, that are more gradual in nature. Sure airing down helps, but it doesn't solve the problem. I Still run the Battlewings on the rear but a TKC on the front at around 22-25#
I looked at the pictures of the race, and was very impressed, but the terrain looked nothing like I ride. In fact I think a stiff front end would be an asset in desert terrain, though I don't have the skill level to ride the bike to the point of overcoming the suspension
As to the lack of an adjustable front end, I can understand that on a race bike or even a serious trailride as the owners are going to set them up to suit themselves and maybe the conditions don't change that much. But for a bike that is being advertized as a go anywhere bike, and purchased by people of wide weight differences, coupled with loading them up with varying stuff, I see a need for a range of settings. JL you apparently found the adjustment on rear helpful, why not the front? BTW I added more preload to the rear and it did help.
I like this bike, glad I bought it. To my knowledge, haven't bottomed it out, think it tracks very well, I even think it is more stable than my old school thumper. In previous threads I have tried to state my objectives, and have listed some changes that for me, resulted in improvements and that is the direction I am going til I am satisfied that they don't work any longer. It may not be suitable for high speed offroad or big impact type riding, but I think it will work for me.

itsatdm screwed with this post 11-05-2008 at 08:34 PM
Old 11-04-2008, 11:25 AM   #70
J Lewis
Numb Nuts

We had some rocky hard packed roads too. Not much, but enough. Here our tires were up in the 35-40 PSI range and the bike transmitted a lot of ground feel through the bars and pegs. When we lowered the pressure and hit hard stuff again the bike was 100% better. I know the TKC is a pretty compliant tire, so it should not be the issue.

If it were me, I'd go with stiffer springs on the fork to get it into the lighter (less pressure) area of the stroke. Another cool thing I've used in the past are these remote air chambers for the forks. Air Cell makes some and a lot of other companies as well as a company aclled TBT (I believe) that routes it into the handlebar. Moose Racing sells them now I thin too. Anyway, these have an amazing effect on this type of bump feel on every fork I've tried them on. It is like dial-a-feel for the front wheel.

GS Trophy was not supposed to be a race. They just had challenges where we ended up riding faster than we should have.
But I really ride around pretty slow, you'd be surprised.
JIMMY
Old 11-04-2008, 12:23 PM   #71
Bayner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,457
Hey itsatdm, where the hyperpro springs you got of a heavier weight or progressive or ???
Bayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 12:49 PM   #72
jeffchri
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
I'm another of the folks who loved the bike from the get-go - except for the suspension, specifically the front. I posted on several other threads to that affect, so I'm really interested to hear it being discussed here with Jimmy - awesome resource!

I was definitely one of the ones who described the front end as "harsh". I found that there was a surprising amount of shock on a single hit, like the leading edge of a steel plate on the road, or the like, so it sure didn't seem like packing. Washboard on dirt roads is horrible - and horrible immediately, not just after a few hits that would I guess indicate packing (though maybe that's going on as well?). Even on pavement, I found issues with hitting sharp-edged irregularities when leaned over and found the bike was way more likely to skitter sideways when wheel failed to suck it up nicely.

I'm not just comparing the feel of this to my Husky TE - I'm also comparing it to the feel of my Dakar, which had heavier fork oil but otherwise stock in the front (and Ohlins in the rear). That thing ate up washboard quite nicely, and still resisted bottoming quite well.

Maybe I just need to get used to the stiffer forks and stiffer frame. I'll crnak up the rear and see if that helps, maybe it will. Otherwise, not sure what to think ... so I'll keep reading and tweaking and see where it goes!
jeffchri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 04:14 PM   #73
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayner
Hey itsatdm, where the hyperpro springs you got of a heavier weight or progressive or ???
Hyperpro won't give you a spring weight, and they are progressive. I chose them because they worked well on my TDM (which had adjustable suspension by the way)
Overall, I would have to say they are firmer, As they are 1/2 inch shorter than stock but decreased the bikes SAG by 1/2 inch. My bike, 200# rider, SAG# as measured from the bottom of the upper fork tube to the top of the brake bracket is: free sag 9", static 7.5, rider 6.5. I remember this as slightly better than stock, but indicates I should add a 1/2 " spacer.
With the Hyperpro spring, I have used 5, 7.5 and 10# oil at various levels, to me, the oil viscosity made more difference than the spring.
Old 11-04-2008, 05:03 PM   #74
Magile
"What exit?"

Oddometer: 355
Quote:
Another cool thing I've used in the past are these remote air chambers for the forks. Air Cell makes some...these have an amazing effect on this type of bump feel on every fork I've tried them on. It is like dial-a-feel for the front wheel...JIMMY
Here's the link - http://www.aircellracing.com/ & http://www.aircellracing.com/pdf/drmagazine.pdf

"AirCells are a set of high pressure, aluminum air reservoirs that are attached directly to your forks, behind the number­plate/head-light assembly. High-pressure tubing is used to connect the AirCells to our specially designed stainless steel fittings that screw into the existing fork cap vent screw holes. No drilling or tapping is required on most motorcycles! Installation is very simple and can be easily installed in 15 to 20 minutes."

"AirCells were engineered to soften the harsh feel of the forks over braking and acceleration bumps, whoops, rocks, tree roots and over-jumping...Each AirCell has an exclusive Air Compression Damping Valve (ACD Valve) that the rider can easily adjust to control how soft or stiff the forks feel over small and medium sized bumps and obstacles... Both forks air pressures are EQUALIZED for a more balanced fork system. The rider has complete control!"

Sounds good to me! Especially if Jimmy likes 'em!

- M
Magile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 05:26 PM   #75
Django Loco
Banned

Oddometer: 3,785
Quote:
And trust me, I don't work for BMW like that. I just used to race for them and helped out with the HP2 and do some Xplor stuff.JIMMY
No worries Jimmy, I trust you, I've followed your career a while, I remember when your raced Motocross! (before most of these guys ever heard of you or even rode bikes)

So, you guys all went over there on your own dime? (Dirt Rider/Primemedia?) To me, it looks like a typical BMW Press event .... in the desert!

When will BMW dealers get the promo DVD?
Django Loco is offline   Reply With Quote