Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-09-2008, 07:49 PM   #91
robhar54
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailtrick
We did a lot o testing this pass week on the 800 gs and we came to the conclusion the heavy springs with the right preload made the bike ride better ,so we move on and play with the base /midvalve and the results were phenomenal, wash board and rocks up to 6 inchs went complete away and the front end stays high in the stroke and well planted ,now the next step is work on fit a diferent shock with remote reservoir and see how the overall handling o the bike gets in regular off road ridding .
Wow. That sounds promising. What weight rider, what skill level, conditions, how fast were you going, etc?

Being a newby to rough two-track/pot-holed dirt roads, deep gravel, and sand and weighing in the 208 lb range plus gear and luggage, I'm guessing a suspension set-up that's going to work for me (allow me to improve and feel confident) is NOT going to be the same set-up as Jimmy Lewis's (or anyone else who actually knows what they're doing)...right?

Rob in Seattle
Old 11-10-2008, 03:43 AM   #92
Desert Dave
Enjoying the moment

Oddometer: 2,653
Quote:
We did a lot o testing this pass week on the 800 gs and we came to the conclusion the heavy springs with the right preload made the bike ride better ,so we move on and play with the base /midvalve and the results were phenomenal, wash board and rocks up to 6 inchs went complete away and the front end stays high in the stroke and well planted ,now the next step is work on fit a diferent shock with remote reservoir and see how the overall handling o the bike gets in regular off road ridding .
Oh, c'mon.....don't tease us like that! More details please?

I saw your website and I figured it was a matter of time before some real tuners had a go at this. It sound like you get what we're trying to do. How did the suspension change on the street up to this point?

Desert Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 07:58 PM   #93
PackMule
love what you do

Oddometer: 19,458
I took some measurements last time out. The harshness is definitely NOT bottoming.

Anyone know if there's a topout spring? If not, I didn't bottom the fork at all based on my calculations. All numbers based on the 230mm of travel spec I found listed.

Static Sag 2.13in or 23.48%

Rider Sag 2.76in or 30.43%

I'm probably 200lbs in riding gear, 185 w/o. Rider sag was taken in street clothes.

Most mixed riding saw values in the 55% - 70% range, with sharp hits perceived with as little as 55% fork travel observed ("frost heave" type bumps).

Riding a 4wd road with ~5" exposed rock impacts saw 7.8in, or 86% of travel used, which corresponded with the "dirt ring" on the fork prior to my going out with a ruler and zip tie. This is what makes me wonder if my "unloaded" measurement with the front wheel off the ground, which was the reference point for zero travel, is actually zero.

Yes, I have a Dakar problem -- that there are 50 weeks of the year without Dakar!

They don't expect you to finish. That's why it's the Dakar. -- PPiA

Get your sweet Pyndon DakARTwork here

Pyndon '13
PackMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 09:15 PM   #94
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,295
Might progressive springs help?

I have no dog in this fight, but find this thread interesting.
Lobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 09:20 PM   #95
trailtrick
goat trail rider

Oddometer: 3,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by robhar54
Wow. That sounds promising. What weight rider, what skill level, conditions, how fast were you going, etc?

Being a newby to rough two-track/pot-holed dirt roads, deep gravel, and sand and weighing in the 208 lb range plus gear and luggage, I'm guessing a suspension set-up that's going to work for me (allow me to improve and feel confident) is NOT going to be the same set-up as Jimmy Lewis's (or anyone else who actually knows what they're doing)...right?

Rob in Seattle
Im a top b level enduro rider 220 lbs gear up ,ride pretty hard ,the other rider 55 years old 190lbs rider ,upper c level ,he is the owner o the bike and loan it for me the test on it ,he love the new set up on and off road ,John i think is a olhins shock the fits the 800 pretty close ,we ordered monday probably be here in a week o 10 days and out for some more testing .

Kampale Moto Ranch
Bed and Breakfast
mototours/uruguay south america
trailtrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 09:24 PM   #96
trailtrick
goat trail rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Dave
Oh, c'mon.....don't tease us like that! More details please?

I saw your website and I figured it was a matter of time before some real tuners had a go at this. It sound like you get what we're trying to do. How did the suspension change on the street up to this point?
the strett rideing part got better but the off road improve 100 % ,i have to many friends the ride big bikes so in the last year the all start talking me into more testing on theme ,i ask theme the provide the bike and i be happy the test ,first was 950 adv,after a 950 se ,ktm 690 and the 800 show up ,rode it for 2 days stock and for 5 cosecutive days after that we test and change things for made it better ,and i have to say the im really happy with the results .

Kampale Moto Ranch
Bed and Breakfast
Old 11-11-2008, 09:29 PM   #97
johngil
Reseda, CA

Oddometer: 3,678
Javier, the forks are yours. I'm going to see what Works can do since they are local.
Support your local economy, but don't tell your wife...
johngil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 11:39 PM   #98
robhar54
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 476
Quote:
Im a top b level enduro rider 220 lbs gear up ,ride pretty hard ,the other rider 55 years old 190lbs rider ,upper c level ,he is the owner o the bike and loan it for me the test on it ,he love the new set up on and off road ,John i think is a olhins shock the fits the 800 pretty close ,we ordered monday probably be here in a week o 10 days and out for some more testing .
Cool, thanks. That'd be ideal, if the set-up would allow me to grow into the bike. I better start saving my pennies. Keep us posted!

Rob in Seattle
Old 11-12-2008, 06:57 PM   #99
alpiv
Sr. nOOb

Oddometer: 2,173
It just kills me that BMW can't get it right.....

Great work trailtrick...

This genre needs more attention !
alpiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 02:27 PM   #100
trailtrick
goat trail rider

We finish the suspension testing in the 800 last weekend and we very happy with the results 100 % o improvment with the mods we did to the forks ,soon we get into the shock options and test

Kampale Moto Ranch
Bed and Breakfast
Old 11-21-2008, 12:44 AM   #101
AKoffroader
Adventurer

Oddometer: 487
F650GS VS F800GS Forks

The forks on the F650GS are differant then the F800GS. Is the F650GS having the same complaints as the F800GS about the forks not being "right"?

Thank you, I'm thinking about buying one or the other.

Greg
2012 Yamaha XT1200Z
1978 Yamaha TT500
AKoffroader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 08:09 AM   #102
tmex
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,039
Well, I must say I am very surprised - pleasantly so. I read JL's post about jacking up the rear preload and lowering tire pressure to 25 PSI. I also raised the tubes about 1/4" figuring that would add to the front preload a little. I did not really believe it was going to make much difference. What a change! I am actually quite happy with the suspension performance after 6 hours of pounding in the Mendocino National Forest on a combination of trails and dirt roads. Those of you familiar with the place know about the creek crossing where M5 connects to M12. You have to ride about 200 meters through a boulder field (baby head sized mostly), over a downed tree, cross the creek (which had plenty of water in it), and finally exit the creek up a bank with three small step-ups. The bike glided through all that without a whimper. I am so happy.

Tried uploading a pic, but upload kep failing. Sorry.
Old 11-24-2008, 01:53 PM   #103
Bluebull2007
Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,930
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmex
Well, I must say I am very surprised - pleasantly so. I read JL's post about jacking up the rear preload and lowering tire pressure to 25 PSI. I also raised the tubes about 1/4" figuring that would add to the front preload a little. I did not really believe it was going to make much difference. What a change! I am actually quite happy with the suspension performance after 6 hours of pounding in the Mendocino National Forest on a combination of trails and dirt roads. Those of you familiar with the place know about the creek crossing where M5 connects to M12. You have to ride about 200 meters through a boulder field (baby head sized mostly), over a downed tree, cross the creek (which had plenty of water in it), and finally exit the creek up a bank with three small step-ups. The bike glided through all that without a whimper. I am so happy.

Tried uploading a pic, but upload kep failing. Sorry.
Tell me did you get any smilies on your rims? I have a few now, but I think its because I have been riding the bike a little hard. Ive heard from others that the rims are pretty soft and dont hold up.
Bluebull2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 02:32 PM   #104
SenorPeligro
Proper Naughty

Oddometer: 1,962
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007
Tell me did you get any smilies on your rims? I have a few now, but I think its because I have been riding the bike a little hard. Ive heard from others that the rims are pretty soft and dont hold up.
So... F800GS almost perfect except for suspension... and rims?

Video Antics
Where am I Riding?
Baja Blitz Yard Sale
SenorPeligro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 04:00 PM   #105
tmex
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebull2007
No smilies, but I am still running the original Bridgestones which are said to have the sidewalls from hell. I was going to wrestle some TKC80's on this weekend, but some other posters scared me so I'm going to bring the wheels back to Zoom (where I bought the TKC's) and let them wrestle with them. Actaully the OEM Bridgestones work much better in the dirt then I thought they would by the looks of them.