ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2013, 10:50 AM   #76
duanew1
In my Pajama pants
 
duanew1's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Huntsville, AL
Oddometer: 745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
If its not DOT all the Trials tires will melt away at speed especially on pavement. They're dirtbike tires.
According to Motorcycle Superstore it is DOT approved.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...T.ac=SLIsearch
__________________
Bikes I own
2008 Yamaha WR250R
1992 Yamaha XT225
2008 SYM HD200
duanew1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:53 AM   #77
Indy Unlimited
Beastly Adventurer
 
Indy Unlimited's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Parker, CO
Oddometer: 1,249
I air up to 30 psi and no issues going down the highway. then air down when you get to the trail.
__________________
Current Stable:

2013 Ducati Hypermotard SP, 2011 Husaberg FE570S, 2011 BMW S1000RR, 2010 BMW F800GS
2007 Husqvarna TE610 , 2003 KTM 525 MXC
Indy Unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:36 AM   #78
Standup Rider
Deacon
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Wisconsin nr madison
Oddometer: 13
Trials tires on non-trials bikes

Just some thoughts about Trials tire in general. I've ridden Trials for years and obviously used Trials tires, my observations are:
I acknowledge they provide amazing traction, but they do it by putting a Very large footprint on the ground, and they do that by running very low pressures-under 5 psi in many cases. (this means softer sidewalls as well). But let's look at the rest of the equation.
Trials bikes are very light -200 lbs is a tank- and the riders MUST learn how to deal with the possible consequences of low tire pressure which are:
Squirmy tracking (get used to it) and a very low tolerance for tire or tube damage. So how does one mitigate that fact? First with their light weight and low speed torque it's relatively easy to loft the front wheel at lower speeds so it's taken out of the tire damage equation, however the rear wheel needs another remedy and that remedy is learning how to 'unweight ' the rear wheel thereby reducing the impact deformation. The degree of unweighting is dependent on the amount of weight on the Rr wheel, the riders ability to unweight himself, as well as the timing of that action. Lastly trials tires aren't good in mud, not much is.
Now look at a typical non-trials bike; they're heavier and don't have the gearing to loft the front carefully at low speeds so they will probably hit the rock/log/ledge with the rear at a higher speed which makes unweighting less valuable and makes the unweighting timing harder. If one then looks at Dual Sports-it get lworse- and with loaded adventure bikes- the situation is untenable. Your best defense for tire protection is heavier tires and tubes, more pressure, and lowered speeds.

Standup Rider screwed with this post 03-11-2013 at 11:44 AM Reason: Sentence structure and punctuation.
Standup Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:50 AM   #79
Standup Rider
Deacon
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Wisconsin nr madison
Oddometer: 13
Trials tires

Just one last thought . . trials pattern tires are mandated for trials just because they reduce traction and create more of a challenge to the riders. There have even been suggestions that they mandate an even less aggressive tread design for safety reasons.
Lee
Standup Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:11 PM   #80
Foot dragger
singletracker
 
Foot dragger's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: chico,just below rag dump(nor-cal)
Oddometer: 12,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Standup Rider View Post
Just one last thought . . trials pattern tires are mandated for trials just because they reduce traction and create more of a challenge to the riders. There have even been suggestions that they mandate an even less aggressive tread design for safety reasons.
Lee
Someone has been kidding you big time,a good radial Trials tire will hook up on stuff a knobby will only spin and smoke on.

Trials tires are how ever easier on the trail,when they do spin a little they arent as likely to dig a trench. Then they dont tend to spin as much in the 1st place.
__________________
Some bikes around at times
Foot dragger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 05:53 PM   #81
Bump Stop
2 Wheeled Drifter
 
Bump Stop's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: finding Jesus
Oddometer: 5,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Standup Rider View Post
Just some thoughts about Trials tire in general. I've ridden Trials for years and obviously used Trials tires, my observations are:
I acknowledge they provide amazing traction, but they do it by putting a Very large footprint on the ground, and they do that by running very low pressures-under 5 psi in many cases. (this means softer sidewalls as well). But let's look at the rest of the equation.
Trials bikes are very light -200 lbs is a tank- and the riders MUST learn how to deal with the possible consequences of low tire pressure which are:
Squirmy tracking (get used to it) and a very low tolerance for tire or tube damage. So how does one mitigate that fact? First with their light weight and low speed torque it's relatively easy to loft the front wheel at lower speeds so it's taken out of the tire damage equation, however the rear wheel needs another remedy and that remedy is learning how to 'unweight ' the rear wheel thereby reducing the impact deformation. The degree of unweighting is dependent on the amount of weight on the Rr wheel, the riders ability to unweight himself, as well as the timing of that action. Lastly trials tires aren't good in mud, not much is.
Now look at a typical non-trials bike; they're heavier and don't have the gearing to loft the front carefully at low speeds so they will probably hit the rock/log/ledge with the rear at a higher speed which makes unweighting less valuable and makes the unweighting timing harder. If one then looks at Dual Sports-it get lworse- and with loaded adventure bikes- the situation is untenable. Your best defense for tire protection is heavier tires and tubes, more pressure, and lowered speeds.
I have never had a trails tire fail, even after I ripped all the center lugs off a dunlop comp trials, from cresting hills tapped out on my exc, It still had more traction than any knobbie on hard pack clay. a trails tire is the most economical all around tire for single track.
__________________
10 GASGAS EC300, 06 Husqvarna WR 250, 05 KTM 250EXC, 04 GASGAS EC 200, 00 KDX 220, 74 250 Mach 1
www.fuzionllc.com
Bump Stop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:05 PM   #82
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer
 
lamotovita's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: WA/AZ, USA
Oddometer: 1,340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Standup Rider View Post
Just one last thought . . trials pattern tires are mandated for trials just because they reduce traction and create more of a challenge to the riders. There have even been suggestions that they mandate an even less aggressive tread design for safety reasons.
Lee
__________________
Beaten paths are for beaten men.
lamotovita is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:06 PM   #83
Foot dragger
singletracker
 
Foot dragger's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: chico,just below rag dump(nor-cal)
Oddometer: 12,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bump Stop View Post
I have never had a trails tire fail, even after I ripped all the center lugs off a dunlop comp trials, from cresting hills tapped out on my exc, It still had more traction than any knobbie on hard pack clay. a trails tire is the most economical all around tire for single track.
I agree,Im sure its possible to tear one but a majority of guys around here use em with no problems. Most of our trails arent 4th or 5th gear wide open slamming into rocks.
Lots of 2nd and 3rd gear winding through big trees and granite,and most guys dont ride over heating heavy 4 strokes on these trails.

You can always see where a guy on a 450 with a knobby went through,its one long ditch from his spinning even just off idle knobby.
And of course you can hear him a mile away ripping through the forest,squids love loud 4 strokes.
__________________
Some bikes around at times
Foot dragger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:25 PM   #84
Bump Stop
2 Wheeled Drifter
 
Bump Stop's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: finding Jesus
Oddometer: 5,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot dragger View Post
I agree,Im sure its possible to tear one but a majority of guys around here use em with no problems. Most of our trails arent 4th or 5th gear wide open slamming into rocks.
Lots of 2nd and 3rd gear winding through big trees and granite,and most guys dont ride over heating heavy 4 strokes on these trails.

You can always see where a guy on a 450 with a knobby went through,its one long ditch from his spinning even just off idle knobby.
And of course you can hear him a mile away ripping through the forest,squids love loud 4 strokes.
Yep, low impact tires, keeps the dirt on the ground where it belongs.
__________________
10 GASGAS EC300, 06 Husqvarna WR 250, 05 KTM 250EXC, 04 GASGAS EC 200, 00 KDX 220, 74 250 Mach 1
www.fuzionllc.com
Bump Stop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:30 PM   #85
ADVCoop
Studly Adventurer
 
ADVCoop's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Acme, PA
Oddometer: 765
I've used MT-43 trials tires on my last couple bikes (KDX then WR250R). I took it off the WRR because it raised the bike almost an inch. I have a used one here I was going to put on my XRL but it's too tall as it is haha.
__________________
2010 Gas Gas EC250 - 1999 BMW F650 - 1992 Gas Gas GT25 - 1982 Suzuki PE175
ADVCoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:00 AM   #86
milzispete
Conquistador
 
milzispete's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Muscat, Oman
Oddometer: 234
anybody tried them on a 2.5" rim?

I've found some awesome trails recently on my 690 enduro R but am struggling to get traction over rock gardens and real steep climbs with fist size loose rock. I've got pirelli FIM pro's on at the moment but they spin out and dump me on my ass. Has anyone tried MT43's on a 2.5" rim?
__________________
they don't make 'em like they used to. which is a good thing really
milzispete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:22 AM   #87
EsconDeasy
Ectomorph
 
EsconDeasy's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Oddometer: 1,420
I read every post and I'm surprised nobody has mentioned that a flat trials tire is unrideable.

I flatted mine and couldn't even PUSH the bike, as it kept 'walking' to the side.

Bring tubes
EsconDeasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:38 AM   #88
milzispete
Conquistador
 
milzispete's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2012
Location: Muscat, Oman
Oddometer: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by EsconDeasy View Post
I read every post and I'm surprised nobody has mentioned that a flat trials tire is unrideable.

I flatted mine and couldn't even PUSH the bike, as it kept 'walking' to the side.

Bring tubes
Tubliss inners are the answer my friend. I run them on a KTM freeride 350. Have had a 1" slice through the front tyre (dunlop 803) and rode it home. They are the future
__________________
they don't make 'em like they used to. which is a good thing really
milzispete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:06 PM   #89
Foot dragger
singletracker
 
Foot dragger's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: chico,just below rag dump(nor-cal)
Oddometer: 12,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by duanew1 View Post
Here is the problem that I have with the MT-43. I was on a bike with one and during a turn to an entrance ramp to a highway, the rear felt like it tucked under and stepped out on me. I occasionally do road riding so I need some good road manners from my knobbies. I really liked the previous T63 for its road manners.

I am just going to throw this out there. I now have a Shinko SR241 on the rear and I really like it. It is shorter than the MT-43 which may be an advantage to some, but I think that it is still taller than most knobbies. I really like the traction that it gives off road. It seemed to tuck a little bit in the turns, but not any where as much as the MT-43. The profile is much rounder then the MT-43 which I think really helps with road manners. It is also the easies tire that I have ever mounted even with the rim lock. There are no good pics of the SR241 on the internet so I will post one. I tried to show the profile of the tire as well as how tall the tire is.






Thats interesting,Ive ridden down a local sportbike road at full chat,over 75mph leaned way the heck over at times,knob on the ft,MT-43 on the back and all was well. I run 13/14 psi for this and lower in the dirt.
No sense of tucking for me anyways.
__________________
Some bikes around at times
Foot dragger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:11 PM   #90
Foot dragger
singletracker
 
Foot dragger's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: chico,just below rag dump(nor-cal)
Oddometer: 12,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by milzispete View Post
Tubliss inners are the answer my friend. I run them on a KTM freeride 350. Have had a 1" slice through the front tyre (dunlop 803) and rode it home. They are the future
Yes indeed,Ive got Tubliss front and rear on my 09 200XCW,Dunlop Trials on the back and soft terrain Dunlop knob on the front,for the local decomposed granite trails this may be the ultimate settup. Very close to 0 wheelspin when climbing amazingly steep switchbacks,its a cheater thing.
__________________
Some bikes around at times
Foot dragger is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014