Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2013, 03:07 PM   #91
NordieBoy
Armature speller

Oddometer: 7,120
I've had to add 2 links to my chain to get the MT43 to fit and then the bigger diameter equates to 1 tooth smaller on the front to even keep the same ratio.

Catch is a 13t front will chew the swingarm slider in no time

Love the tyre for almost all terrain.
NordieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 03:28 PM   #92
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,205
the new thing

I saw even more people running this tire on everything from 250s to 525s at a recent trail ride. One of the guys at Pro Motion swears by them combined with a tubliss system. The one ye was running was 5 years old. Everyone I talked to raved about the better traction, less trenching, less side deflection in rocks, and just how smooth its.

I think I am going to give it a shot.
crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 03:32 PM   #93
Idle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 613
I think it's about the same diameter as a 90/90-21..

And it will climb anything.

Idle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 03:48 PM   #94
Idle
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by crypto666 View Post
I saw even more people running this tire on everything from 250s to 525s at a recent trail ride. One of the guys at Pro Motion swears by them combined with a tubliss system. The one ye was running was 5 years old. Everyone I talked to raved about the better traction, less trenching, less side deflection in rocks, and just how smooth its.

I think I am going to give it a shot.
Running it on a light 650, and getting great wear so far. Not even half worn and at about 500 miles. 50/50 riding at 8-16 psi, 75 mph max with the short gearing..
Old 07-21-2013, 12:25 AM   #95
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 24,098
I tried one of these and after a 300 mile trip found a bunch of knobs ripped off. all teh torn knobs were located in roughly the same quarter of the tire. Rockymountainatv.com took it back and sent me a new one under warranty. With just over 100 miles the same thing happened about 25% of the knobs torn off from about 1/4 of the tire tire pressure on the last one was 22psi. cant remember what the psi on the first one was but I know it was at least 22 and was most likely around 25-28psi. Reading the reviews I am very suprised by the the tire falling apart. Is it me or is there something wrong with the tires Im getting?

The last tire use consitted of roughly a 120 mile round trip all street with a about 50 miles at about 70-75mph. I did notice the tire felt very warm when I stopped for gas at one point but air temps were in the high 90's and Im sure the black top was well over 100

On the plains of hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who at the dawn of victory lay down to rest, and in resting died. The only thing that comes to those who wait is old age. Too many dreams.... Not enough time. Not Scared of dying. Not scared of living. Just scared of the pain that separates the two...
kenny61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 06:18 AM   #96
5 speed
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 852
Quote:
Originally Posted by fire_strom View Post
Sand?
For Sand you are best off sticking with a Michelin S12XC; its tops in Sand - I live in Florida so dont ask me how I know. If you had to have a DOT tire; the Metzler Six Days is pretty good.
5 speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 06:33 AM   #97
lamotovita
Ageing Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,402
You are very lucky that anyone warranteed that tire for you. The damage is likely due to overinflation. Pirelli's specs for that tire call for a
"Min/Max PSI of 8-12".
An MT43 is a poor choice for high speed street use anyway.
The fact that the damage occurs in one segment of the tire suggests an out of balance, or out of round condition as well.
If you're interested in other tire suggestions you'll need to post details of your bike and riding conditions.

lamotovita screwed with this post 07-21-2013 at 07:35 AM
lamotovita is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 08:16 AM   #98
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Side wall says max of 30 somwthing pounds
On the plains of hesitation lie the blackened bones of countless millions who at the dawn of victory lay down to rest, and in resting died. The only thing that comes to those who wait is old age. Too many dreams.... Not enough time. Not Scared of dying. Not scared of living. Just scared of the pain that separates the two...
Old 07-21-2013, 08:17 AM   #99
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Its also speed rated up to 90mph i believe
Old 07-21-2013, 08:44 AM   #100
JTucker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,275
That's interesting, I've run mine on the road for probably 20 miles at a time at high speeds with no ill effects. had it up to 90ish for a short time, that was with less than 10PSI.
JTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 08:58 AM   #101
AviatorTroy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,586
Quote:
Originally Posted by westy View Post
mt45 s come in two sizes 400x18 rear 275x25 front
good for mud or rocks,but do'nt like polished granite as my ribs can testify
heres what we use them for 350 mile on and off-road long distance trials

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06pm4fwSXS8

or high speed sliding with 4 cylinder 1000 s running on methanol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQKGI7TnWnc

Defiantly interested in something like those trials hacks!
AviatorTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:59 AM   #102
Boatman
Take me down bitch!

Oddometer: 10,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamotovita View Post
You are very lucky that anyone warranteed that tire for you. The damage is likely due to overinflation. Pirelli's specs for that tire call for a
"Min/Max PSI of 8-12".
An MT43 is a poor choice for high speed street use anyway.
The fact that the damage occurs in one segment of the tire suggests an out of balance, or out of round condition as well.
If you're interested in other tire suggestions you'll need to post details of your bike and riding conditions.
That's a P rated (93mph) tire with max inflation of 33psi. This shouldn't be happeneing in a couple hundred miles no matter if its street or offroad. Granted the tire isn't specifically pproduced for street use. Id be curious of the manufature date of both tires that failed.

Also..... heating suggests underinflation not over.

Hi/low beam conversions for: Trail Tech, Baja Designs
Boatman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 10:59 AM   #103
Idle
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
Side wall says max of 30 somwthing pounds
Everything in this thread says run it at 13-20 psi on the road.

Quote- boatman "Also..... heating suggests underinflation not over."

Overinflation will make the tire run on a skinny contact patch heating up just that part of the tire. (the center)

Underinflation will spread the friction over the whole tread area, warming the WHOLE tire up gradually.

The knobs on the MT43 act as fans, there is well over twice as much surface area to dissipate the heat created from running lower pressures.

The ripped knobbs were likely from overinflation heating up the center, then hard braking possibly is what ripped them off when they were near molten.
Old 07-21-2013, 12:18 PM   #104
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Knob tearing is in acceleration direction
The pressure run is wirh the manufacturers spec. Many others jave run it in the 20psi range wirhout chunking
Old 07-21-2013, 01:08 PM   #105
kjclark7
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,231
The middle knobs on my mt43 are all boogered up as well but that is from them rubbing on the mud flab of my old husky. I'll have to take a picture of the tire but it looks like there's an outer covering of the knob and that's what's coming off.
2013 KTM 350 XCF-W
kjclark7 is offline   Reply With Quote