User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2010, 09:32 AM   #1576
herrhelmet
A Serious Man

Oddometer: 2,369
The thread that keeps giving!

Just when I think enough has been said... I read new posts and just roll over laughing....

Still a bunch of guys that are still afraid of the Yamaha forks... Oh my god.. you have to put a spacer in there.... too scary.

I have machined TT triples with WP forks and wish I saved my beer money and got the YZ. They are out of the box valved for whoops and beat my WP set hands down. And I hate to be a chump too.

If I wanted to test a suspension system on a bike I would have NMBMN go out and TRY to destroy it. Because that's what he does. I keep thinking that he has to run out of luck and his bike is just going to fall to pieces in a big pile of metal, but it keeps on going...

Oh, yeah and John Bull is easy too. Lets all meet up with Dakars only and do that one to settle this argument.

I'd be game.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:39 AM   #1577
'Rett Butler
Happily Married

Oddometer: 1,076
Quote:
Originally Posted by herrhelmet
Oh, yeah and John Bull is easy too. Lets all meet up with Dakars only and do that one to settle this argument.

I'd be game.
well, that is the rub. I'd do it on NMBMN's KT-MW-AHA but probably not on my personal 650. I actually ride mine everyday and couldn't stomach 3 month down time for repairs or mods.
'Rett Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 09:56 AM   #1578
herrhelmet
A Serious Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleBeemer36
well, that is the rub. I'd do it on NMBMN's KT-MW-AHA but probably not on my personal 650. I actually ride mine everyday and couldn't stomach 3 month down time for repairs or mods.

What you really mean is downtime to repaint the whole bike after it gets dropped on its side 20x.

The only way to get up that beast is to point the bike uphill and give it a big twist of throttle and a little clutch feather and hope it lands with the wheels down. Or doesn't smash the beercans when it falls on its side. CORRECTION: I MEANT FRESCA CANS.

I'd rather do it on nmbmns bike too...!

herrhelmet screwed with this post 06-10-2010 at 10:11 AM
herrhelmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 10:12 AM   #1579
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!

Oddometer: 7,273
Quote:
I'd rather do it on nmbmns bike too...!
Me too
notmybikemodelname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 10:15 AM   #1580
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!

Quote:
The time we did John Bull we did it backwards, from the side opposite of the mine, so perhaps it was easier up.
Me too, That's the only way to do it on a bike .

The day we did it, a jeeper was at the bottom that told us that the jeepers had been piling rocks and trees in this thing for a few years to keep out the squids in their Crap-mobiles. So, I would assume that it's way worse than when you did it. As we headed up the back side, he asked us if we wanted him to call someone "now" to come and pull us out.

Does any of this look familiar?

Gold Mountain

John Bull

More John Bull

And the biggest boulders of all.....

I haven't actually riddne these, but I'm not afraid to.

notmybikemodelname screwed with this post 06-10-2010 at 10:23 AM
Old 06-10-2010, 10:20 AM   #1581
BMacW650

Oddometer: 744
I was able to do some extensive riding through some good stuffs for the first time since the conversion. (still waiting on the new rear shock)
Either I got a lot better at riding by just sitting on my couch or the front end really made a big difference.

The rear bottomed out a few times going through some big whoops. I hope the new longer rear shock will take care of it.

I had to dump the bike a couple of times. And I noticed the forks twist way too easily. The axel seems to be straight, but the fork tubes were twisted when the handle bar is rotated past a certain point. I think the top and the bottom triple were mis-aligned. Of course the easy fix was to loosen up the triple clamps and readjust. But I don't think it's supposed to happen to begin with.

I don't have the stock front headlight and dash, so I did not add any thickness to the YZ fork stoppers as I don't have a clearance issue. Could that be the reason?

I feel like if the clamps are tightened to specs, the tube and the axle should be sufficient enough to keep the top and bottom triple aligned. Was I wrong?, should I tightened the SHB bolt more?

Can any one comment on that?

BMacW650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 10:35 AM   #1582
'Rett Butler
Happily Married

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmybikemodelname
Does any of this look familiar?
Oh yeah, the memories. Especially that last one!

Gold Mountain only done in the cage but those shots of John Bull are super familiar.

Are you aware of the riding here in Arizona? I worked for BLM and the FS for a number of years doing trail inventory with GPS. We had to ride any trail any drunk MC, ATV or Jeep had created no matter how gnarly. I had $20K in GPS equipment strapped on the bike. Surprised to say (not bragging) that I never dropped one of their bikes in all that time. But a DR250S is a lot more manageable than a Dakar so its not really a fair comparison.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:36 AM   #1583
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMacW650
Either I got a lot better at riding by just sitting on my couch or the front end really made a big difference. Probably a little of both

I had to dump the bike a couple of times. And I noticed the forks twist way too easily. I haven't experienced htis issue and have had some really nice get-offs. The axel seems to be straight, but the fork tubes were twisted when the handle bar is rotated past a certain point. I think the top and the bottom triple were mis-aligned. I don't think that's possible when the front axle is in place and tight. Of course the easy fix was to loosen up the triple clamps and readjust. But I don't think it's supposed to happen to begin with. Nope

I don't have the stock front headlight and dash, so I did not add any thickness to the YZ fork stoppers as I don't have a clearance issue. Could that be the reason?

I feel like if the clamps are tightened to specs, the tube and the axle should be sufficient enough to keep the top and bottom triple aligned. Was I wrong?, NO. should I tightened the SHB bolt more? Not unless it's under-spec

Can any one comment on that?
I would check for bent tubes or a cracked axle.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:39 AM   #1584
router.exe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
Quote:
Just when I think enough has been said... I read new posts and just roll over laughing....

Still a bunch of guys that are still afraid of the Yamaha forks... Oh my god.. you have to put a spacer in there.... too scary.
you miss read me. the only thing i'm questioning is the triple clamps. not the forks.
router.exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 10:45 AM   #1585
herrhelmet
A Serious Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmybikemodelname
Me too

That doesn't mean I WANT your bike. I would just rather ride your bike when I know its going to fall over....

I still think you're going to get up for a ride one morning and your bike will be a pile of metal and carbon fiber...

I forgot:

in a puddle of dirty oil.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:11 AM   #1586
herrhelmet
A Serious Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by router.exe
you miss read me. the only thing i'm questioning is the triple clamps. not the forks.

...didn't mean to slam you personally... just in general terms the fork, triples and spacers work from my viewpoint. Lots of people still won't try them and SOME shouldn't.

I have said before, if you don't shave some major weight off the bike and you want to bolt hard cases on, really what's the point of the fork conversion. I don't think you'll be enjoying the full effect.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:11 AM   #1587
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!

Quote:
That doesn't mean I WANT your bike. I know that, you couldn't handle the bitch! I would just rather ride your bike when I know its going to fall over.... Me too, because I'd hate to see you cry

I still think you're going to get up for a ride one morning and your bike will be a pile of metal and carbon fiber...

I forgot:

in a puddle of dirty oil.

Old 06-10-2010, 11:22 AM   #1588
'Rett Butler
Happily Married

Quote:
I have said before, if you don't shave some major weight off the bike and you want to bolt hard cases on, really what's the point of the fork conversion. I don't think you'll be enjoying the full effect.
Oh damn, so I shouldn't be doing this with it now? :)

Photobucket
Old 06-10-2010, 11:29 AM   #1589
herrhelmet
A Serious Man

Quote:
Oh damn, so I shouldn't be doing this with it now? :)

Photobucket

Is that your John Bull setup? ride as far up as you can, ride into a crevice, ride the mtn bike the rest of the way and come back for the GS in a Landcruiser?
Old 06-10-2010, 02:11 PM   #1590
router.exe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
Quote:

actually... you'd get plenty of benifit. those damper rod forks absolute crap. if i wanted antiquated parts on a newer bike i'd buy a harley. any forks that have valving adjustment are worlds better. the only thing that would make them better is having external preload adjustment (unless these yami forks have that...couldn't tell from pics). external preload means you can switch between john bull and loaded ds touring.
router.exe is offline   Reply With Quote