ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2010, 02:44 PM   #1591
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!
 
notmybikemodelname's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: I'm in jail Dad, and I like it here.............
Oddometer: 7,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by router.exe
(unless these yami forks have that...couldn't tell from pics).
So you don't know about this supension set up...........

Quote:
Originally Posted by router.exe
meh...i wouldn't trust it last long if you actually put the bike to use. that and spacer over the top bearing sound way to shade tree to me.
But you're willing to say that you don't trust it...............?

Quote:
Originally Posted by router.exe
external preload means you can switch between john bull and loaded ds touring.
Really?

Could you explain that a little better?
notmybikemodelname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 04:00 PM   #1592
router.exe
Gnarly Adventurer
 
router.exe's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: seattle, WA
Oddometer: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmybikemodelname
So you don't know about this supension set up...........
all i can tell from pics is there is adjustable rebound and compression like the forks on my wr250x. I haven't looked into any other adjustments


But you're willing to say that you don't trust it...............? something along the lines of a 400lb+ bike vs a much lighter dirtbike.



Really?

Could you explain that a little better?
explanation: someone who uses the bike for more than just boulder hopping. that seems to be the purpose of your bike, there are people out there who would run the bike with out a luggage setup and don't need the extra preload that was there to accomodate a passenger and their passengers match luggage, and then the next weekend bring passenger and said luggage along. the stock rear shock had remote preload adjustment for that reason, but the front can't accommodate that extra load for shit. being able to back off some preload or add it while on the road is nice.
router.exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 04:12 PM   #1593
herrhelmet
A Serious Man
 
herrhelmet's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: USA West
Oddometer: 2,361
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by router.exe
explanation: someone who uses the bike for more than just boulder hopping. that seems to be the purpose of your bike, there are people out there who would run the bike with out a luggage setup and don't need the extra preload that was there to accomodate a passenger and their passengers match luggage, and then the next weekend bring passenger and said luggage along. the stock rear shock had remote preload adjustment for that reason, but the front can't accommodate that extra load for shit. being able to back off some preload or add it while on the road is nice.

Rob don't need no stinkin' preload. Like I keep trying to say. The YZ set up is for serious dirt maniacs who chopped all the farkles off their bikes, o.k? Not for the Winnebago riders... (Bumblebeemer excepted, since he carries a spare bike on his)

router.exe, the WP set up I have would work. Preload on both ends. I'll sell you my set for $3800.
__________________
"Your bike is too heavy" www.motolithium.com TWITTER
herrhelmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 04:24 PM   #1594
router.exe
Gnarly Adventurer
 
router.exe's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: seattle, WA
Oddometer: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by herrhelmet
Rob don't need no stinkin' preload. Like I keep trying to say. The YZ set up is for serious dirt maniacs who chopped all the farkles off their bikes, o.k? Not for the Winnebago riders... (Bumblebeemer excepted, since he carries a spare bike on his)

router.exe, the WP set up I have would work. Preload on both ends. I'll sell you my set for $3800.
winnebago riders use the stock damper rod shit. o.k?
Please explain preload at both ends.

rob doesn't need no stinking preload, you're right. all he seems to do is find ways to shave weight off the bike and finding the ruttiest thing he can take the bike through and do it. (actually sounds like fun).
router.exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 05:36 PM   #1595
herrhelmet
A Serious Man
 
herrhelmet's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: USA West
Oddometer: 2,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by router.exe
winnebago riders use the stock damper rod shit. o.k?
Please explain preload at both ends.

rob doesn't need no stinking preload, you're right. all he seems to do is find ways to shave weight off the bike and finding the ruttiest thing he can take the bike through and do it. (actually sounds like fun).

The TT suspension kit has WP forks and shock that both have preload adjustment. That's what I mean by both ends.
__________________
"Your bike is too heavy" www.motolithium.com TWITTER
herrhelmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 06:12 PM   #1596
router.exe
Gnarly Adventurer
 
router.exe's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: seattle, WA
Oddometer: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by herrhelmet
The TT suspension kit has WP forks and shock that both have preload adjustment. That's what I mean by both ends.
oh that kit. so you're saying you ditched the wp setup in favor of the yami stuff?
router.exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 06:34 PM   #1597
herrhelmet
A Serious Man
 
herrhelmet's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: USA West
Oddometer: 2,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by router.exe
oh that kit. so you're saying you ditched the wp setup in favor of the yami stuff?

No... I would have shot myself in the temple and followed them into the ditch... I just mean in so many words that the YZ front end has better off the shelf performance off-road as I have seen personally. The rear WP shock is a keeper. I may revalve them or have Trailtricks tune them soon. I wouldn't change it now.

But guys...

I just could have saved my self at least $1,000.00 even after selling my stock stuff and buying an Ohlins or something.

FWIW.
__________________
"Your bike is too heavy" www.motolithium.com TWITTER
herrhelmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 06:41 PM   #1598
router.exe
Gnarly Adventurer
 
router.exe's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: seattle, WA
Oddometer: 222
are the wp's you have the same as something that would be on a 950 adv or a 640 adv? doubt they'd be the same as the ones on the exc
router.exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 07:34 PM   #1599
herrhelmet
A Serious Man
 
herrhelmet's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: USA West
Oddometer: 2,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by router.exe
are the wp's you have the same as something that would be on a 950 adv or a 640 adv? doubt they'd be the same as the ones on the exc
They look similar to me. Definitely closer to the big guys. Pics of the bike a a few pages back... or look at my profile you can see my posts a few weeks ago...
__________________
"Your bike is too heavy" www.motolithium.com TWITTER
herrhelmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 09:40 PM   #1600
router.exe
Gnarly Adventurer
 
router.exe's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: seattle, WA
Oddometer: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by herrhelmet
They look similar to me. Definitely closer to the big guys. Pics of the bike a a few pages back... or look at my profile you can see my posts a few weeks ago...
roger...comtemplating hair brained idea of finding used set of wp's with external preload adjustment and figuring out price of that. i definitely wouldn't be trying to MX an f650, but i can ride well enough to enjoy good suspension.
router.exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 01:26 AM   #1601
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Sydney, Australia
Oddometer: 2,046
The WP forks from TT are 4357's, 20mm axle holders & axle, a custom set of triples and valved to TT spec, with around 250mm travel.

I have not seen a precise figure for the length they are set to or an internal parts breakdown for them

Yes you can take a set of EXC forks both 4860 or 4357 and fit them with the triples to the Dakar, the lack of offset in the yokes (18 to 20mm) leads to clearance difficulties which the YZ with 25mm offset does not have. As others have worked out you need an EXC post not 640/950 post

The 4357's seem to have been chosen by TT over the 4860's for clearance reasons and I would guess that the TT triples have a greater offset similar to the YZ

In terms of information on valving there is more information on changing the WP's in the public domain but off the shelf the YZ is clearly better set up & for those sending them off to HoH it is a simple neat change over with a lower ongoing replacement parts cost than the WP's

The external preload adjusters for the WP's can be purchased and fitted to any of the WP forks but some are using sub tanks to adjust spring rate instead

WayneC1 screwed with this post 06-11-2010 at 01:32 AM
WayneC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 05:56 AM   #1602
herrhelmet
A Serious Man
 
herrhelmet's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: USA West
Oddometer: 2,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneC1
The WP forks from TT are 4357's, 20mm axle holders & axle, a custom set of triples and valved to TT spec, with around 250mm travel.

I have not seen a precise figure for the length they are set to or an internal parts breakdown for them

Yes you can take a set of EXC forks both 4860 or 4357 and fit them with the triples to the Dakar, the lack of offset in the yokes (18 to 20mm) leads to clearance difficulties which the YZ with 25mm offset does not have. As others have worked out you need an EXC post not 640/950 post

The 4357's seem to have been chosen by TT over the 4860's for clearance reasons and I would guess that the TT triples have a greater offset similar to the YZ

In terms of information on valving there is more information on changing the WP's in the public domain but off the shelf the YZ is clearly better set up & for those sending them off to HoH it is a simple neat change over with a lower ongoing replacement parts cost than the WP's

The external preload adjusters for the WP's can be purchased and fitted to any of the WP forks but some are using sub tanks to adjust spring rate instead
I knew if we barked long enough, someone would come forth with the real numbers...

One other thing to add is that the TT setup comes with the ignition/steering lock housing that bolts right up and works perfectly.
__________________
"Your bike is too heavy" www.motolithium.com TWITTER

herrhelmet screwed with this post 06-11-2010 at 06:03 AM
herrhelmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 06:00 AM   #1603
komatias
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Oddometer: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by router.exe
roger...comtemplating hair brained idea of finding used set of wp's with external preload adjustment and figuring out price of that. i definitely wouldn't be trying to MX an f650, but i can ride well enough to enjoy good suspension.
I did that, have a set of 950 Adv S forks on mine.
komatias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 07:12 AM   #1604
herrhelmet
A Serious Man
 
herrhelmet's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: USA West
Oddometer: 2,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by MYBLUETTCA
Uses stock F650 hubs? ABS?

Yes. Stock hubs. It comes with a new axle/spacer and they have an option to allow for the ABS sensor. Also a bracket to mount the stock Brembo on the fork. Bolts right up too. It was actually pretty fun to install. Just a bit pricey.
Back then the whole deal was about $3,200. I think its gone up and on back order now. After selling my stock setup I figure I spent about $2,000.
__________________
"Your bike is too heavy" www.motolithium.com TWITTER
herrhelmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 07:32 AM   #1605
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!
 
notmybikemodelname's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: I'm in jail Dad, and I like it here.............
Oddometer: 7,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by herrhelmet

One other thing to add is that the TT setup comes with the ignition/steering lock housing that bolts right up and works perfectly.
The what does what?
notmybikemodelname is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 01:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014