User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2009, 04:15 PM   #166
JDRadman
Moto Head

Oddometer: 195
Talking Thanks

Wow, what great reviews. I am flattered and this is all before anyone even had a chance to use them.

Sorry I have been off in TX for some Vintage Racing this last weekend and had no connections to the net. Now I am back at the house for about 8 hours and off to CA on a WFO business trip. I wont see any light until Friday the 10th. At least I will have internet while I am traveling.

Sorry to the guys that sent PMs for my no reply status.

To that end, I don't know if we can do another run or not. We will have to build about 10-pc if we do, just to make it affordable. I was pulling in a favor from a buddy to get this first batch to get it done at cost.

In reality, I just USED the other guys to make it affordable for me. After all, it's all about me...

I am really glad you guys like the parts. I designed and Peter built em...here is to Peter

If there is anybody wondering about doing this it may be a good time to chime in and see where we end up.

In the meantime, I expect to get my forks back about the same time as Matt. We are taking the bike to MOAB for 10 days in mid April for some 2-up riding (jeep trails and passes) and a little light duty single track 1-up. By then I will have a real good idea how well it works.

I will post it here.

Rad
JDRadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 04:53 PM   #167
Aries71
Adventure seeker

Oddometer: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRadman
Wow, what great reviews. I am flattered and this is all before anyone even had a chance to use them.

Sorry I have been off in TX for some Vintage Racing this last weekend and had no connections to the net. Now I am back at the house for about 8 hours and off to CA on a WFO business trip. I wont see any light until Friday the 10th. At least I will have internet while I am traveling.

Sorry to the guys that sent PMs for my no reply status.

To that end, I don't know if we can do another run or not. We will have to build about 10-pc if we do, just to make it affordable. I was pulling in a favor from a buddy to get this first batch to get it done at cost.

In reality, I just USED the other guys to make it affordable for me. After all, it's all about me...

I am really glad you guys like the parts. I designed and Peter built em...here is to Peter

If there is anybody wondering about doing this it may be a good time to chime in and see where we end up.

In the meantime, I expect to get my forks back about the same time as Matt. We are taking the bike to MOAB for 10 days in mid April for some 2-up riding (jeep trails and passes) and a little light duty single track 1-up. By then I will have a real good idea how well it works.

I will post it here.

Rad
Well... if you're doing another run I'm in for sure!!! I'm certain that it won't be hard to find more interested parties on this forum. Hell you could make a lucrative a business just selling those!!!

Don't make me start a petition LOL!!!!!

cheers
Aries71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 05:12 PM   #168
tmotten
Lefthand ride Dutchy

Oddometer: 2,455
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRadman
to Peter!! PM sent.

So has anyone fitted them yet? Have to admit that I'm not familiarwith that axle setup.
tmotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 08:24 AM   #169
stalia85
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Hello everybody name is Michael and i am planning to put a USD WP 48 from a KTM on my 650 Dakar i would like to ask if you now if the yokes from the KTM much on the Dakar

Thanks aloot
stalia85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:32 PM   #170
drivenbydiscovery
`...><((((>`..

Oddometer: 346
dammit, i can't believe i missed this!!!!

i've had my Yamaha 450 forks sitting in the garage for months because i didn't know what i would do about mounting the front wheel/brakes/abs (i didn't want to switch to Yamaha wheel and brakes).

please please please say you'll do another batch of axles and brackets!!! i'm in!!!!

Australia in a Land Rover / Central America on a Moto

..`...><((((>`..
drivenbydiscovery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 09:40 PM   #171
drivenbydiscovery
`...><((((>`..

i saw this as well over at F650.com and emailed Emig Racing. i asked how much the Dakar top clamp with accommodation for bigger Yamaha forks would be. here is the reply i received:

Quote:
Thanks for your interest in ER. We do not currently stock the Dakar top clamp on hand. We only make this clamp per pre-paid order. However, if you are looking for a special made top clamp to accept a 53mm fork, then that is an entirely different situation. To produce a completely new top clamp, such as this, would run about $500.00 for the top clamp alone. To accept 53mm forks requires a newly designed and programmed top triple clamp.

If you would like to discuss this or have any technical questions, feel free to contact Gary at ...
that's, ummmmmm, a lot! but after seeing what has been achieved here already, i'm sure our collective minds can come up with something!

*edit - i just asked them how much a top clamp would be if we got a group of 10 together and they said 325 each. still a lot, but better than 500, and it's a really nice design. something to think about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneC1
For those looking for a solution to the ignition lock problem

Buried in the aftermarket fork FAQ at F650.com is the following

"I installed a custom triple clamp on my Dakar. Replaces the stock set perfectly, switches, bar height, ignition, fork lock, etc"

Made by Emig Racing, seems Garry over there owns or once owned a Dakar & made up replacement triples for his own machine

This means Emig will have it all on CAD & should be able to add the GS ignition lock to any of the upper triples they produce

It will come down to the price, someone emailed Emig & 3-4 week lead time & they have choice of solid or rubber bar mounts & fat or 7/8 fittings as well as height variations

..`...><((((>`..

drivenbydiscovery screwed with this post 04-28-2009 at 06:55 AM
Old 04-28-2009, 10:22 AM   #172
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Oddometer: 3,928
mmmm....beer....I mean....blue.....

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !
Gravel Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2009, 07:25 PM   #173
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!

Oddometer: 7,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivenbydiscovery
i saw this as well over at F650.com and emailed Emig Racing. i asked how much the Dakar top clamp with accommodation for bigger Yamaha forks would be. here is the reply i received:

that's, ummmmmm, a lot! but after seeing what has been achieved here already, i'm sure our collective minds can come up with something!

*edit - i just asked them how much a top clamp would be if we got a group of 10 together and they said 325 each. still a lot, but better than 500, and it's a really nice design. something to think about.
Emig only makes those for the stock forks. No USD.
notmybikemodelname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 01:25 AM   #174
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,110
Emig will make up the top clamp altered to take any of the USD it simply comes down to the cost as per the posts above

They have all the dimesions sitting on CAD and as they indicate in the email excerpts above their production is CAD controlled no doubt laser cut

It comes down to whether people wish to band together to increase volume & reduce price
WayneC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 05:26 AM   #175
drivenbydiscovery
`...><((((>`..

yup, that's correct. they will adjust their current design to fit our application ... for a price. so far a one-off would cost me 500, but buying 10 would drop the price to 325 (each). more people = cheaper per person cost.

..`...><((((>`..
Old 04-29-2009, 05:56 AM   #176
drivenbydiscovery
`...><((((>`..

on a separate note, i have 2 small issues with my Yamaha forks that i need help with.

1. the headstem. the Yamaha bearings fit the BMW races, however, the headstem seems too long! when i install the assembly and tighten the headstem nut, i run out of threads on the headstem before everything is squished together. measuring the headstems, the BMW is about 14cm from base to where the threads start, while the Yamaha has about 15.5cm before the threads start.

2. bar clamps. did you guys that did this also upgrade to fat bars, or are you using the stockers? because the bar clamps on the Yamaha triple clamp are huge!

..`...><((((>`..
Old 04-29-2009, 05:59 AM   #177
JDLuke
Ravening for delight

Oddometer: 8,644
Quote:
on a separate note, i have 2 small issues with my Yamaha forks that i need help with.

1. the headstem. the Yamaha bearings fit the BMW races, however, the headstem seems too long! when i install the assembly and tighten the headstem nut, i run out of threads on the headstem before everything is squished together. measuring the headstems, the BMW is about 14cm from base to where the threads start, while the Yamaha has about 15.5cm before the threads start.
My understanding is that you just need to put a shim between the nut and the bearing, something to take up that space.

As for the bars, I'm wondering if this project wouldn't be the perfect excuse to go to fat bars anyway.
JDLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 06:26 AM   #178
drivenbydiscovery
`...><((((>`..

thanks jdluke. a shim would make sense ... i'm surprised it's the first time i hear of this though, as everyone always says they fit right up! well, they almost fit i was actually thinking of having the headstem threads extended a further 1cm.

as for the bars, yeah, i guess i could go with something more stout, but i didn't want to lose my heated grips!!! hehehe.

..`...><((((>`..
Old 04-29-2009, 06:45 AM   #179
JDLuke
Ravening for delight

Oddometer: 8,644
Quote:
thanks jdluke. a shim would make sense ... i'm surprised it's the first time i hear of this though, as everyone always says they fit right up! well, they almost fit i was actually thinking of having the headstem threads extended a further 1cm.

as for the bars, yeah, i guess i could go with something more stout, but i didn't want to lose my heated grips!!! hehehe.
LOL - I guess though, that if you lose the heated grips AND the ABS and you won't need to figure out how to get that switch plate at the center of the bars to fit!
JDLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 06:54 AM   #180
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,110
You dont need to lose the heated grips on a bar change

I have alloy bars & have retained the heated grips

I cut an L shaped slot in the alloy bars for the wiring to enter on the throttle side & a slot on the LHS & a hole in the middle between the clamps for the wiring to exit, then had alloy adaptors turned up with alloy bar ends to retain the hand guards

Unfortunately it seems I did not document it all well at the time cause I could not find the CAD the other day

Others have used expanding bolts to hold the bar ends in, there is some info in the F650 FAQ from memory
WayneC1 is offline   Reply With Quote