User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-29-2009, 11:10 PM   #181
farkleface
ridin dirty

Oddometer: 121
Quote:
on a separate note, i have 2 small issues with my Yamaha forks that i need help with.

1. the headstem. the Yamaha bearings fit the BMW races, however, the headstem seems too long! when i install the assembly and tighten the headstem nut, i run out of threads on the headstem before everything is squished together. measuring the headstems, the BMW is about 14cm from base to where the threads start, while the Yamaha has about 15.5cm before the threads start.

2. bar clamps. did you guys that did this also upgrade to fat bars, or are you using the stockers? because the bar clamps on the Yamaha triple clamp are huge!
1. I had the same problem with the headstem length and ended up using a couple washers i had to take up the space and it worked well.
2. I have 7/8" (stock size) renthal bars and they fit the clamps that came with my fork just fine. I wonder if you have an aftermarket top clamp? do you have a picture?

Well, I finally got my bike together and let me say it rides awesome. It is like a big fat dirt bike. Its so much easier to get the front end up and over stuff. Its so much faster through the rough stuff, it just soaks it up.

I have to say again, Jim did an awesome job with the parts and they work great.
and richard at house of horse power did a great job on the forks
I still need to spend a lot more time on the bike to really get the suspension dialled in.
Also, I did have one little problem-
I accidentally started to cross thread the axle (yes I already know that I am a dumb ass) the third time I put the wheel on because I was rushing. I was able to clean up the threads and lucky for me Jim put lots of extra threads on there so it was fine. definitely make sure everything is lined up really good. since the fork legs rotate independently unlike the old ones, and the female part of the axle is inside the fork leg it is hard to see if it is all lined up. Also, It didn't feel at all like it was cross threading until it stopped and didn't want to come back out. oh yeah- and use some anti-seize, I thought I might have just created a very expensive paper weight.
Anyhow, here are some pics:

farkleface screwed with this post 05-05-2009 at 05:45 PM
farkleface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 12:06 AM   #182
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Oddometer: 1,844
Quote:
Originally Posted by farkleface
1. I had the same problem with the headstem length and ended up using a couple washers i had to take up the space and it worked well.
2. I have 7/8" (stock size) renthal bars and they fit the clamps that came with my fork just fine. I wonder if you have an aftermarket top clamp? do you have a picture?

Well, I finally got my bike together and let me say it rides awesome. It is like a big fat dirt bike. Its so much easier to get the front end up and over stuff. Its so much faster through the rough stuff, it just soaks it up.

I still need to spend a lot more time on the bike to really get the suspension dialled in.
I accidentally started to cross thread the axle (yes I already know that I am a dumb ass) the third time I put the wheel on because I was rushing. I was able to clean up the threads and lucky for me Jim put lots of extra threads on there so it was fine. definitely make sure everything is lined up really good. since the fork legs rotate independently unlike the old ones, and the female part of the axle is inside the fork leg it is hard to see if it is all lined up. Also, It didn't feel at all like it was cross threading until it stopped and didn't want to come back out. oh yeah- and use some anti-seize, I thought I might have just created a very expensive paper weight.
OMG...Umm I think I have wood now. WOW!!
Jimmy the Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 02:31 AM   #183
JDLuke
Ravening for delight

Oddometer: 8,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by farkleface

Beautiful!

Please tell me, what are you using for your rear shock? Did you leave it as stock or move to something else?
JDLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 06:14 AM   #184
drivenbydiscovery
`...><((((>`..

Oddometer: 346
that. looks. awesome!!!!!

and of course, even better to hear that it's way more functional offroad than the shit stock setup. now i really can't wait to get this done.

btw, you were right on farkleface; my top triple clamp is an aftermarket job and accommodates 1 1/8" bars vs. stock size (7/8"). anybody need a Yamaha top triple clamp that works with fat bars ... lets trade!

Australia in a Land Rover / Central America on a Moto

..`...><((((>`..

drivenbydiscovery screwed with this post 04-30-2009 at 07:04 AM
drivenbydiscovery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 09:10 AM   #185
JDLuke
Ravening for delight

Just thought I would mention that over in Vendors there's a thread about Ohlins shocks at 24% off MSRP. I've posted there to ask about a suitable rear shock setup for a GS that's been raised like this.
Old 05-01-2009, 02:49 AM   #186
mattomoto
2 wheels rule

Oddometer: 1,073
I am sitting here in Belgium wishing I had my moto. Globe trotting the last couple weeks to South Africa, Germany and Belgium with out my moto has been killin me. At least I have my pedal bike. I can not wait to get home and ride my "new" moto with Rad's parts on them.

matto
Old 05-01-2009, 02:59 AM   #187
JDLuke
Ravening for delight

And via email I was told that the the shock for the Dakar would be quite appropriate for this application. It's the 'BM750' or 'BM048' with or without ABS respectively.

I decided to bite the proverbial bullet (or wallet) and order one. It's not cheap, but the overall effect when combined with the new front should completely transform the machine. Apparently I've gotten over the cost of my son's braces.

I was very impressed with the ordering process at Dan Kyle racing. The woman on the phone (I feel bad, but I've forgotten her name, as I am wont to do) knew her stuff, and was simultaneously professional and funny. I had rather an in-depth interview regarding not just what I weigh, but what I typically carry and how I use the bike.

So I'm nearly ready to move, I've contacted JDRadman about a couple of items I still need (I plan to retain the ABS system, and will need an appropriate bracket and lower brake line), and now I wait for all the information and bits to come in.

Does anybody want to call dibs on stock 2001 F650GS suspension components? I plan to sell them to recoup some of my expenses.
Old 05-01-2009, 03:03 AM   #188
JDLuke
Ravening for delight

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivenbydiscovery
that. looks. awesome!!!!!

and of course, even better to hear that it's way more functional offroad than the shit stock setup. now i really can't wait to get this done.

btw, you were right on farkleface; my top triple clamp is an aftermarket job and accommodates 1 1/8" bars vs. stock size (7/8"). anybody need a Yamaha top triple clamp that works with fat bars ... lets trade!
You might have another option. I'll bet you can find a set of bar risers that will adapt one size to the other, although I'm guessing it's an uncommon desire to mount standard handlebars after one has invested in a fat-bar triple.

Another thought I had was of a kind of split-sleeve that would take up the space, but I'm kind of uncomfortable with that idea.
Old 05-01-2009, 04:08 AM   #189
john_aero
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,138
thoes axel and brake calliper mountings that got made are very nice,

do they allow the use of the ABS with the original wheel and brakes?
john_aero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 05:09 AM   #190
JDLuke
Ravening for delight

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_aero
thoes axel and brake calliper mountings that got made are very nice,

do they allow the use of the ABS with the original wheel and brakes?
That's the plan. JDRadman is working out one more part, which will serve to mount my front ABS sensor. Add a slightly longer brake line, refill and bleed, and voila!

I expect it to be a very nice setup when all done, combining what I see as the strongest parts of each platform (for my needs, anyway).
Old 05-01-2009, 05:11 AM   #191
john_aero
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLuke
That's the plan. JDRadman is working out one more part, which will serve to mount my front ABS sensor. Add a slightly longer brake line, refill and bleed, and voila!

I expect it to be a very nice setup when all done, combining what I see as the strongest parts of each platform (for my needs, anyway).
now thats one item i would pay for, even if got left in a box until i find the yamaha forks i want at right price

so ohlins is the only realy way then for the rear set up
john_aero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 05:22 AM   #192
JDLuke
Ravening for delight

I wouldn't say it's the only way to go, but it's widely considered to be one of the high quality ways, and I was able to purchase it for significantly less than, say, buying a new OEM Dakar shock, which is far less adjustable and capable.
Old 05-01-2009, 07:27 AM   #193
drivenbydiscovery
`...><((((>`..

Oddometer: 346
or a wilbers Dakar shock (that's what i have).

i think the most important thing is to raise the back end up to Dakar height if you have a regular GS.

Australia in a Land Rover / Central America on a Moto

..`...><((((>`..
drivenbydiscovery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 07:35 AM   #194
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Oddometer: 3,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLuke
And via email I was told that the the shock for the Dakar would be quite appropriate for this application. It's the 'BM750' or 'BM048' with or without ABS respectively.

I decided to bite the proverbial bullet (or wallet) and order one. It's not cheap, but the overall effect when combined with the new front should completely transform the machine. Apparently I've gotten over the cost of my son's braces.

I was very impressed with the ordering process at Dan Kyle racing. The woman on the phone (I feel bad, but I've forgotten her name, as I am wont to do) knew her stuff, and was simultaneously professional and funny. I had rather an in-depth interview regarding not just what I weigh, but what I typically carry and how I use the bike.

So I'm nearly ready to move, I've contacted JDRadman about a couple of items I still need (I plan to retain the ABS system, and will need an appropriate bracket and lower brake line), and now I wait for all the information and bits to come in.

Does anybody want to call dibs on stock 2001 F650GS suspension components? I plan to sell them to recoup some of my expenses.
I just bought the MB048, but without the external reservoir.

I'd be willing to consider lifting the lower triple off of you, think mine is bent .... I'm guessing you'd prefer to sell it complete though.

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !
Gravel Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 09:19 AM   #195
farkleface
ridin dirty

Oddometer: 121
Quote:

I have an ohlins on the rear and it completes the package. I got mine from Kyle racing and they know their stuff they sell a ton of them, plus it showed up quickly. you will love your new bike!
farkleface is offline   Reply With Quote