Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2009, 03:35 PM   #226
JDLuke
Ravening for delight

Oddometer: 8,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_aero
will this possible be the version that has the abs sensor mount
The sensor mount will be another piece added on. My build will be the prototype.
JDLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 04:00 PM   #227
Aries71
Adventure seeker

Oddometer: 29
Count me in for sure!!!!! I think that makes me #4
Aries71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 05:36 PM   #228
southbound
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
You can count me in for a set, that makes 5?
southbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 08:25 PM   #229
drivenbydiscovery
`...><((((>`..

Oddometer: 346
yes sir, 5 confirmed and a 6th that is a strong maybe.

for anyone thinking of doing this swap, now is definitely the time to get the axle and bracket.
in fact, i can honestly say that the hardest part of this swap is getting these 2 custom made parts,
because the whole fork & triple tree assembly just swap right in with minimal modification.

Australia in a Land Rover / Central America on a Moto

..`...><((((>`..
drivenbydiscovery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 01:21 AM   #230
john_aero
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLuke
The sensor mount will be another piece added on. My build will be the prototype.
so even with the current set up the sensor add on will bolt right on?

deadly now the hunt on ebsy for set of forks and clamps
john_aero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 02:39 AM   #231
JDLuke
Ravening for delight

Oddometer: 8,644
Quote:
so even with the current set up the sensor add on will bolt right on?

deadly now the hunt on ebsy for set of forks and clamps
That's the plan. The idea is to be able to mount the bracket itself to some screw-hole or other on the fork leg. I can't be of much more help right now because the part is still just an idea in JDRadman's head, as far as I know. The other new bit is the lower ABS brake line, which will need replacing with something a bit longer. Since that's fairly standard stuff, it could be sourced locally with relative ease.

Finally, there's the lock cylinder. If you wish to retain an ignition lock, instead of just hiding a toggle switch somewhere on the bike, the options I'm aware of are:
  1. Cut off and mount an OEM piece, destroying the upper triple clamp
  2. Emig racing's trick, beautiful, but pricey (and still not actually designed) custom bit. Looks like about $325, I think someone said?
  3. Touratech - maybe... They have a part in their F650GS suspension upgrade kit that fits this purpose precisely. However, it's not in their master parts/price list. I'm trying to track down more information on this.
JDLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 08:16 AM   #232
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!

Oddometer: 7,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDLuke
That's the plan. The idea is to be able to mount the bracket itself to some screw-hole or other on the fork leg. I can't be of much more help right now because the part is still just an idea in JDRadman's head, as far as I know. The other new bit is the lower ABS brake line, which will need replacing with something a bit longer. Since that's fairly standard stuff, it could be sourced locally with relative ease.

Finally, there's the lock cylinder. If you wish to retain an ignition lock, instead of just hiding a toggle switch somewhere on the bike, the options I'm aware of are:
  1. Cut off and mount an OEM piece, destroying the upper triple clamp
  2. Emig racing's trick, beautiful, but pricey (and still not actually designed) custom bit. Looks like about $325, I think someone said?
  3. Touratech - maybe... They have a part in their F650GS suspension upgrade kit that fits this purpose precisely. However, it's not in their master parts/price list. I'm trying to track down more information on this.
For the life of me, I still cannot figure out why anyone would want to lug that 13 lb boat anchor called ABS braking around with them. I threw mine in the trash long ago and have no regrets. Just my 2 cents.
  1. If I recall, the triple on stock BMW is metal, Yammies are Aluminum, making that a slight bit hader to do unless you're going to do some sort of funky bolting set up.
  2. I already spoke to the people at Emig in depth about this. They didn't sound at all thrilled about this project, and the current design is for the stock unit. The price I was quoted for 10 pieces was around $500 and they could give no delivery date.
  3. TT will ABSOLUTELEY not sell the the ignition component from their kit alone. They will only sell you one if yours is broken and then you have to send your old one back. I beat this horse to death long ago.
Isn't the point of this mod to gain a great suspension at a very low cost? The way I see it is, after buying at about $400-$500, for a second run of Radman's parts (not that there not sweet, because thye are) and paying for a custom triple clamp at $500 with no delivery date. Along with $50 for a new brake line and a few other odds and ends, not including the delivery time, you're better off just buying the whole Yammie font end, mounting it in about 1-2 hours and going riding.

By the time a new run of brake parts is made and Emig even decides if they want to do this, you're into it for $1500 and the riding season is over.

Once again, not to take away from Radman's beautiful parts, because they are beautiful.

This is why I spent $425 total, mounted it up and have been riding ever since. I beat the crap out of mine in the Mojave and DV at leat once a month with no less than 2-3 other riding days every month.

I have the stock YZ front end, including brake system. I have added .52 Racetech springs and a new brake line. I have more than enough braking power and ride my bike like a full desert bike (10% street) hitting 1-2 foot woops at speed. Very few fire roads for my bike.

All I gotta say is, while y'all are talking about doing this, I've already done it and I'm riding it all the time . I suggest getting the parts and mounting them up and going riding, if you feel like you need to spend more money, do it later.

Let's ride

Finally, Radman's parts are sweet..........super nice..........and if I was into metal, I'd hump one. There, I've said it again, so save the comments. Ride more, post less.
notmybikemodelname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 09:44 AM   #233
JDRadman
Moto Head

Oddometer: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by drivenbydiscovery
hey guys, if you're like me and missed the first time the axles and brackets were offered, post up here (or pm me)!

IF WE GET A BIG ENOUGH GROUP TOGETHER, MR. JDRADMAN WILL HOPEFULLY DO ANOTHER RUN!

(but we have to have enough interest in this to make it worthwhile for him)

so far i have:

1. drivenbydiscovery
2. john_aero
3. johnnycombat
4. Aries71
5. southbound
6. tmotten (* not 100% sure, but interested)
7. tmotten (for his 2nd bike)
8. TrainedChimp (90% sure)

so post up, and let's get this list filled!!

WOW...
I had no idea this was going on. I will have to get busy and check into the situation early next week to see what kind of pricing I can run on a 10 piece order.

YES I can make a sensor bracket for the ABS version. JDLuke and I are on that program already. We compared notes and I think i will be finding the time to make his in about a week or so.

3 things everybody must know about the modification.
  1. If you are using Yamaha triples your going to loose you steering lock and key switch to a toggle. You provide the toggle or an alternate location fo the key switch
  2. If your running handgards youi may have interference with the stiock faring windshield. Its minor and easliy worked around with some simple bending and cutting or you can just live with it.
  3. It will transform your bike a great deal and make you aware of how weak your stock rear shock is. This may lead to an increased burdon on your financis and cause you to dump money into your tired old GS than you ever dreamed.
That being said, it is the single best thing I have done to my GS since 2001 when I bought it new. It is still a big-heavey dirt-road bike. Its just now it has a bit less street bias and is a bit more trail worthy. I no longer pucker when I see a washout or a small drop off on pass at 40mph. I just ride on...

If we can get 10 sets to build I will make another pass at it. We need 100% committment and some cash upfront before we build. I see no value in having 4 sets sitting around the house...there cool but not that cool unless there on your bike and unlike Tmotton, I only have 1 GS.

Rad
JDRadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 10:10 AM   #234
drivenbydiscovery
`...><((((>`..

Oddometer: 346
sorry about the surprise Rad. when i received your reply stating that you didn't know if there was currently enough interest, i figured i would make some! (that way it would be harder for you to say no).

i'd say from the list as it is now, we have 5 people at a definite 100% (including myself) so that's a very solid start. hopefully there will be a few more interested in the next few days.

Australia in a Land Rover / Central America on a Moto

..`...><((((>`..
drivenbydiscovery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 10:52 AM   #235
john_aero
Beastly Adventurer

so i have found 2 very nice sets of forks,

one off a yam 2000 yzf426
th other of KYB yam 2002 yzf 250

will these both fit or is it just yam 426 only?
Old 05-10-2009, 11:00 AM   #236
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Oddometer: 3,874
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmybikemodelname
For the life of me, I still cannot figure out why anyone would want to lug that 13 lb boat anchor called ABS braking around with them. I threw mine in the trash long ago and have no regrets. Just my 2 cents.
Maybe some of us use our bikes as a commuter too. Splitlaning in heavy traffic and sometimes rain. Not to mention diesel spillage and other shit on the road. In fall the road surface is covered in wet leaves in places too and some mornings in the beginning and at the end of the season there might be frost and ice patches.

I don't have ABS on mine though

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !
Gravel Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 11:02 AM   #237
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Oddometer: 3,874
Quote:
so i have found 2 very nice sets of forks,

one off a yam 2000 yzf426
th other of KYB yam 2002 yzf 250

will these both fit or is it just yam 426 only?
not sure, but "my" suspension guy mention that if the YZ would fit you could use WRs aswell..

just as a fyi

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !
Gravel Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 11:10 AM   #238
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!

Oddometer: 7,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Seeker
Maybe some of us use our bikes as a commuter too. Splitlaning in heavy traffic and sometimes rain. Not to mention diesel spillage and other shit on the road. In fall the road surface is covered in wet leaves in places too and some mornings in the beginning and at the end of the season there might be frost and ice patches.

I don't have ABS on mine though
Been riding for 30+ yeras and never had it before, and see no reason for it now. Even after riding with it fr 2 years, I never saw the benefit and always rode with it turned off.

But, I'm sure some people like it. Mine worked well for holding my door open into the garage. It later filled a nice spot ina trash can
notmybikemodelname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 11:49 AM   #239
john_aero
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Seeker
not sure, but "my" suspension guy mention that if the YZ would fit you could use WRs aswell..

just as a fyi
i am suro both be excellent forks, its just if i buy the bracket i dont want to spend money on a set of forks tht wont mach up. will have do some re searh on it
Old 05-10-2009, 02:56 PM   #240
johnnycombat
Adventurer

Oddometer: 71
yammie fork adaptors

Take me off the list please......wont need it now as ive found a work around....a little more ghetto without these cool parts but will work for my needs...Good luck to all yall!
johnnycombat is offline   Reply With Quote