ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2012, 04:23 PM   #3061
tomatoe333
Beastly Adventurer
 
tomatoe333's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Back on the east side
Oddometer: 2,257
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnman View Post
I need a favour
Can somebody measure the distance of the exposed chrome fork, indicated by the red line on the picture? I would like the free measurement, ie when the wheel is unsupported. Also please mention if the fork is standard, or has been shortened.
Just a touch (1/16") short of 11 inches on a set of forks lowered by House of Horsepower.
__________________
"Keep the standard settings will be useful to learn more about the bike. One should reach a sufficient technical level, when then humbly questioning calibration of your motorcycles."
tomatoe333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 02:41 PM   #3062
Barnman
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Barnman's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2010
Location: 'up north England
Oddometer: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatoe333 View Post
Just a touch (1/16") short of 11 inches on a set of forks lowered by House of Horsepower.
Thanks tomatoe, thats a big help.

Mine is 255mm, just over 10inches , so less than yours. It has a standard length spring, not sure what rating but the preload works out at 5%
(not convinced my maths or logic is good here! using a calliper I measured one coil on the spring, it was 21.1mm when removed, and when installed in the fork was 19.5mm, hence the 5% difference)

not sure what this all means, other than it rides well, and the bike, and rider sag are both good

Barnman screwed with this post 04-10-2012 at 03:39 PM
Barnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 06:02 PM   #3063
tomatoe333
Beastly Adventurer
 
tomatoe333's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Back on the east side
Oddometer: 2,257
Done!



Forks are friggin magical. I think the folks at House of Horsepower put pixie dust in with the fork oil!
__________________
"Keep the standard settings will be useful to learn more about the bike. One should reach a sufficient technical level, when then humbly questioning calibration of your motorcycles."
tomatoe333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 05:41 AM   #3064
dakarchef
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2008
Oddometer: 288
Fork bleeders

Is anyone using the push type fork bleeders on their forks? I did a 200 km dual sport ride through some pretty rough terrain. I pushed the bike harder than I ever have leading a TE449, ktm400 a few drz400's and a dr350. I found the front end got harsh and I could feel small stuff in my hands. I'm thinking this could be air buildup in the forks. Any thoughts?
Btw, the suspension was the shizzle. I just keep loving this bike more and more!
__________________
07 F650 Dakar,09 Husqvarna wr144, 01 Husaberg Fe650, 01 Husaberg FC650
dakarchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 05:59 AM   #3065
GSBS
FunHog
 
GSBS's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Blount Springs, AL
Oddometer: 3,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakarchef View Post
Is anyone using the push type fork bleeders on their forks? I did a 200 km dual sport ride through some pretty rough terrain. I pushed the bike harder than I ever have leading a TE449, ktm400 a few drz400's and a dr350. I found the front end got harsh and I could feel small stuff in my hands. I'm thinking this could be air buildup in the forks. Any thoughts?
Btw, the suspension was the shizzle. I just keep loving this bike more and more!
The YZ forks I got had the bleeders already in them and yes, they do build up pressure when worked hard, at least mine do.

The bleeders aren't expensive and if nothing else I think help to save fork seals when compressing for hauling, etc. by relieving pressure.
GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:30 AM   #3066
redbastard
Beastly Adventurer
 
redbastard's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Rat City
Oddometer: 1,124
try this

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawn869 View Post
Have 06 Dakar with Yamaha YZ450 front fork conversion, Ohlin rear, 18" Excel rear with Heidenau tires. Problem with dancing front/shimmy (ie not quite a tank slapper but would be if I didn't slow down) at 75-80 mph and have to slow down for it to stop.

I would try raising the rear spring preload a little bit, and lowering the forks in the tripple trees by 1/2 " or so. Make sure your steering head bearings are tight (have a little preload) and your tire pressures both up to 32psi. These are the first things to check, let me know if it helps.
redbastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 09:54 AM   #3067
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: madera california
Oddometer: 4,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbastard View Post
I would try raising the rear spring preload a little bit, and lowering the forks in the tripple trees by 1/2 " or so. Make sure your steering head bearings are tight (have a little preload) and your tire pressures both up to 32psi. These are the first things to check, let me know if it helps.
my yz forks had bleeders on them already too. i bleed them before each ride and when i get home they have air build up in them each time.
kubiak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:56 AM   #3068
gear17
n00b
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Oddometer: 1
Question Axel and spacers

Hi All, I have been following this thread for a few a few weeks now and it has been a wealth of information on the YZ fork exchange. I have just recently finished my swap out and i am very happy with the results. I would like to go back to the BMW hub and breaking set up though. Now i know that the poster JDradman had some new axel and spacers made up at his friends machine shop so people could run the BMW breaks and not have to get rid of the ABS system. Dose any body know if those parts are still available? I would very much like to buy the parts from someone so i could run the original hub, wheel and breaks.
gear17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 11:35 AM   #3069
slider162
Gnarly Adventurer
 
slider162's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Location: Mukwonago, WI
Oddometer: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by gear17 View Post
Hi All, I have been following this thread for a few a few weeks now and it has been a wealth of information on the YZ fork exchange. I have just recently finished my swap out and i am very happy with the results. I would like to go back to the BMW hub and breaking set up though. Now i know that the poster JDradman had some new axel and spacers made up at his friends machine shop so people could run the BMW breaks and not have to get rid of the ABS system. Dose any body know if those parts are still available? I would very much like to buy the parts from someone so i could run the original hub, wheel and breaks.
Contact Hawk Engineering for the kit. It is $500.

http://www.hawkengineering.com/BMWF650GS.htm
slider162 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 05:53 AM   #3070
zeroo
Adventurer
 
zeroo's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Bucuresti, RO
Oddometer: 51
Have some for sale

As I have said a few pages back, I have taken my bike apart in order to sell it by parts (financial reasons), so the forks are for sale. The forks are coming with the new brake line (longer) and JD Radman parts for the original BMW ABS and the HDB top clamps and with the bearings and spacer. Plastics are a bonus. In other words, complete, just take off the BMW forks, and put this ones. It should take something around an hour of work to do the swap.

The price is 1000 USD, and we will see how much the postage will be. The forks are located in Romania, Europe. It would be better to send them somewhere in Europe also, but I could send them to US or Canada also.

They where made by Richard at House of Horsepower for me, 1.80 cm height, around 80 kg, shortened 1".

So, a complete package, no more waiting around for different parts in order to make the swap.

Pics below (sorry for the quality, phone user):















zeroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 07:13 PM   #3071
Benjah
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2010
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Oddometer: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakarchef View Post
Is anyone using the push type fork bleeders on their forks? I did a 200 km dual sport ride through some pretty rough terrain. I pushed the bike harder than I ever have leading a TE449, ktm400 a few drz400's and a dr350. I found the front end got harsh and I could feel small stuff in my hands. I'm thinking this could be air buildup in the forks. Any thoughts?
Btw, the suspension was the shizzle. I just keep loving this bike more and more!
Yup! Mine came with them too. They are excellent. If my bike has been standing out in the sun for a while I'll let the air out before riding it. Sometimes there is quite a lot of pressure. Go buy a set as they are cheap and there is no down side (well that I'm aware of).
Benjah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 01:40 AM   #3072
Gravel Seeker
Thomas
 
Gravel Seeker's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2002
Location: Dreary old Norway, dreaming of adventures past
Oddometer: 3,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroo View Post
As I have said a few pages back, I have taken my bike apart in order to sell it by parts (financial reasons), so the forks are for sale. The forks are coming with the new brake line (longer) and JD Radman parts for the original BMW ABS and the HDB top clamps and with the bearings and spacer. Plastics are a bonus. In other words, complete, just take off the BMW forks, and put this ones. It should take something around an hour of work to do the swap.

The price is 1000 USD, and we will see how much the postage will be. The forks are located in Romania, Europe. It would be better to send them somewhere in Europe also, but I could send them to US or Canada also.

They where made by Richard at House of Horsepower for me, 1.80 cm height, around 80 kg, shortened 1".

So, a complete package, no more waiting around for different parts in order to make the swap.
Shipping those to Norway would be at least $250-300 = 1250-1300 + 25% import tax = $1600 + having someone retune them to my weight is another 3-400, so just shy of $2000 on my bike.... sorry, but that's just too rich for my blood.
__________________
'01 F650 Dakar - modified as best I can

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !
Gravel Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 02:53 AM   #3073
MCNorris
n00b
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Oddometer: 5
Question Down Under

Hi All,
first off, good thread.
Secondly, I live in Australia and was wondering about a couple of things.

1) I have seen that a lot of people are sending their forks to HoH to get them tuned. This may pose a problem in Australia. Are the mods completely necessary? and would it be possible to have them done without shipping the forks overseas?

2) exactly what parts other than the forks / triple tree are needed to complete the conversion assuming i want to keep the original BMW wheel and braking system (including ABS)? I know about the parts from Hawk eng. but i was wondering if there were any others?

Any help would be great.
This thread is very comprehensive but it can be a bit hard to work out what i need from 205 pages.
MCNorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 07:09 AM   #3074
Dan Alexander
Ride Far - Ride Fast
 
Dan Alexander's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Now only Montreal
Oddometer: 7,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCNorris View Post
This thread is very comprehensive but it can be a bit hard to work out what i need from 205 pages.
Agree, and I've been following this thread for quite a while now.

I've got a set of YZ 426 forks sitting in the garage but not sure where to turn next.
__________________
Beemers Past and Present: 74 R90S, 77 R100RS, 85 K100RS, 2x 87 K100RS, 96 R1100GS (getting hacked), 99 R1100S, 2002 R1150GS, 2005 F650 Dakar
Plus the occasional Triumph, BSA, Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki and KTM but who's counting
Dan Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 05:25 PM   #3075
tmotten
Lefthand ride Dutchy
 
tmotten's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Calgary
Oddometer: 2,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCNorris View Post
Hi All,
first off, good thread.
Secondly, I live in Australia and was wondering about a couple of things.

1) I have seen that a lot of people are sending their forks to HoH to get them tuned. This may pose a problem in Australia. Are the mods completely necessary? and would it be possible to have them done without shipping the forks overseas?

2) exactly what parts other than the forks / triple tree are needed to complete the conversion assuming i want to keep the original BMW wheel and braking system (including ABS)? I know about the parts from Hawk eng. but i was wondering if there were any others?

Any help would be great.
This thread is very comprehensive but it can be a bit hard to work out what i need from 205 pages.
Mate, there is no need to have this work done outside of Australia. Mine were done by MPE on the Sunny Coast. They are the local favorites, but there should be some good ones in your area. Whilst it is specialist work, it's not rocket science. Had mine resprung and had the travel limited.
tmotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:51 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014