Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2013, 08:19 PM   #3391
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,339
There is not enough in the GS hub to take the bigger bearings, the G650X has a hub with 20mm axle, if you looked around and picked up a 650X hub many things may fall into place

Interested in more information re the WR250X disc size, did not know any used a 300mm rotor, they would be a potential source of caliper brackets
WayneC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 08:07 AM   #3392
Lupin 3rd
Raygun Gothic

Oddometer: 534
WR250X brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneC1 View Post
There is not enough in the GS hub to take the bigger bearings, the G650X has a hub with 20mm axle, if you looked around and picked up a 650X hub many things may fall into place

Interested in more information re the WR250X disc size, did not know any used a 300mm rotor, they would be a potential source of caliper brackets
The X is the sumo version of the WR250R: 17" wheels and a 298mm front rotor with a different bracket and caliper. The bracket mounts to the standard WR/YZ forks so there's nothing special there. Sourcing the bracket and caliper from an X can be a problem since they're not very common, only found one on eBay so far. However there's plenty of 320mm bracket & rotor kits from China, don't know about the quality, but it's an option.

I've looked for G650X and F800GS wheels, but haven't found any for a reasonable price (for me less than the cost of the Hawk Kit). One of those would completely solve my problems!
Lupin 3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:17 AM   #3393
DrLuke
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Price of a Yamaha modified F650GS

Wayne,

What do you reckon a 2002 F650GS (26000km) with the Yamaha forks mod and every farkle imaginable is worth? (21",18" Excel rims, all bash guards, staintune exhaust, EFI controller, air intake, ABS setup and connected with BMW discs, new centre stand and sidestand, new rear shock and resprung front end, touratech panniers, changed gear ratio, new chain etc etc) Not sure if I want to flog mine or not there was a lot of love put into building the bike, however, I may need the money. more than 5? poss 7 or an I dreaming.

Cheers,
Luke
DrLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 01:55 AM   #3394
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

DrLuke, afraid I have not looked at used values for the GS as I have had no interest in buying or selling

Yours does sound rather neat with the mods, I suspect in a general market you would not get a good return on the investment in all the gear but to someone wanting to buy and the set one up then it could command a good price and so perhaps 5 to 7 may be possible. Overall though you would probably get a better return by parting out the panniers and other bolt on items

My thought is I hope you dont get to the point of having to sell it, bird in the hand and all that, especially after all the effort
Old 01-24-2013, 03:54 AM   #3395
Aquatic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,519
I paid more for less on an older bike with more kms. If I was still looking I would have paid 7
Aquatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:07 AM   #3396
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

I was just told of a WP converted 04 being advertised out of canberra which may be worth looking at what they are asking, it has 160,000 on it

EDIT, found it

http://canberrariders.org.au/threads...Suspension-Kit

At the price you were thinking Lucas this one and some other searches suggest you may even be thinking too low for yours, has quite surprised me

WayneC1 screwed with this post 01-24-2013 at 04:18 AM
Old 01-24-2013, 05:01 AM   #3397
Aquatic
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I was just told of a WP converted 04 being advertised out of canberra which may be worth looking at what they are asking, it has 160,000 on it

EDIT, found it

http://canberrariders.org.au/threads...Suspension-Kit

At the price you were thinking Lucas this one and some other searches suggest you may even be thinking too low for yours, has quite surprised me
That one is on the Aussie fleamarket as well - http://advrider.com/forums/showpost....&postcount=139
Old 01-24-2013, 06:27 AM   #3398
GSBS
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,901
Were I in the market...

...before spending $6-7K on a used Dakar I'd give this a serious look.

Husky 650 Terra with 650 Rotax single engine, with claimed 58 HP thanks to cam, other modifications, 18/21 wheels, Sachs suspension, including USD forks. MSRP $7K new. Aftermarket farkle machine is gearing up already.

GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 12:35 PM   #3399
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Oddometer: 3,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSBS View Post
...before spending $6-7K on a used Dakar I'd give this a serious look.

Husky 650 Terra with 650 Rotax single engine, with claimed 58 HP thanks to cam, other modifications, 18/21 wheels, Sachs suspension, including USD forks. MSRP $7K new. Aftermarket farkle machine is gearing up already.

It's NOK102.900 here (USD18.600)
Sweet looking valve cover on those....wonder if it's a straight swap for ours...

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !
Gravel Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 07:51 AM   #3400
Aquatic
Beastly Adventurer

Ignition Mount

With the help of WayneC1 I am coming up with a Ignition mount for the YZ conversion.

I have the Dakar top clamp roughly modelled up
I have Wayne's Ignition mount for a TT/WP top clamp modelled up

Next is the YZ top clamp which will have to be a little more precise.

I also want to make up a totally new hybrid top clamp that will be a straight fit for a YZ lower Clamp and a Dakar frame. As well as a top and bottom clamp with spindle set.

I also would like to add an optional damper mount. Any advice on what would be the best(read most common) mounting hole pattern to use?

Have a look here

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/vf42u44z73izub9/TWvmmbZ0u_
(click on a file an then download top right)

Please, any suggestions would be good.

Also in the folder is the "in progress" 3D model of my 2001 Dakar. Wudyafink?
Old 02-01-2013, 03:26 AM   #3401
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Simplify cost/construction by making the handlebar mounts a bolt on component

WP/KTM have an interesting system, Basically 2 mounting positions on the yoke and an offset bar mount, from memory it gave 4 mounting positions on the bars, cant find a diagram I had laying it out visually unfortunately, will try to find it when I have more time

WayneC1 screwed with this post 02-01-2013 at 03:31 AM
Old 02-01-2013, 05:38 AM   #3402
Aquatic
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Simplify cost/construction by making the handlebar mounts a bolt on component
That is the plan. So std 22mm bars or fat bars can be used just by changing the bar risers

Quote:
WP/KTM have an interesting system, Basically 2 mounting positions on the yoke and an offset bar mount, from memory it gave 4 mounting positions on the bars, cant find a diagram I had laying it out visually unfortunately, will try to find it when I have more time

What about mounting stabilisers?
Old 02-01-2013, 06:01 AM   #3403
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

WP/KTM have 2 part No's for bar mounts, one for 22mm and one for fat bars, they have no stabiliser mounting points on the yokes I have seen & I have not looked closely at aftermarket WP/KTM stabilisers so I am not much help there
Old 02-01-2013, 11:34 PM   #3404
ghostrider.y2k
ride enything but HD

Oddometer: 879
Just pick up a 01 F650GS project with under 500 miles on the clock, the stock forks fail and caused a accident.
Looking to upgrade to yamy forks. Need more info on what year parts i'm looking for, do not care for ABS part, 21" front will be my choice of wheel and maybe re lace rear hub to 18".
Any info, please let me know. I know there is a specific year for a trees and forks, Is a bearing a issue?, Do I need to get different then OEM ?

"w strone slonca..........."
ghostrider.y2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:20 AM   #3405
nomad5326
Xventurous

Oddometer: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider.y2k View Post
Just pick up a 01 F650GS project with under 500 miles on the clock, the stock forks fail and caused a accident.
Looking to upgrade to yamy forks. Need more info on what year parts i'm looking for, do not care for ABS part, 21" front will be my choice of wheel and maybe re lace rear hub to 18".
Any info, please let me know. I know there is a specific year for a trees and forks, Is a bearing a issue?, Do I need to get different then OEM ?

Thats gonna be fun!!! Click on the Adobe File under the YZ notes. Everything you need is here and also in this thread if you have a case of beer, time and your girl leaves you alone to sort it all out! Have fun. Just saw some yellow, if your looking, panels on ebay.
nomad5326 is offline   Reply With Quote