Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2013, 08:36 AM   #3526
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Oddometer: 2,294
Got it CR brake line is the length I want. Will probably use the stock one until I get the bike together and ride it some... then i can order one for exactly the length I need.

Next question:
The triple clamp I got for the YZ'Dakar conversion works w/ Fat Bars 1 1/8th inch. So I need to get some bars for it.

I'm looking at 4 different bends. Leaning toward the Pastrana FMX bars. Anyone have any experience with different bars and what would they recommend?

Also does the stock throttle cable and clutch cable for the Dakar work with any of these options? I think I had the woods high on my old dakar and it worked fine even with a 1" bar riser.

CR High 31.5" wide, 3.74" High, 2.37" (pull back (wider than stock, about the same heigh and pull back sweep.)

Woods High 30.5 wide, 3.74" high, 2.45" pull back (still wider than stock. About the same as with the huge F650GS bar ends, higher and more sweep)

Pastrana FMX High 30.5" high, 4.75" high, 2.17" pull back (same as Woods but 1" higher but less sweep - might be good)

KX High 31.5" wide, 4.25" high, 2.21" pull back (wider, mid height and less sweep)
Old 03-14-2013, 10:04 AM   #3527
mootsuno
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 664
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangplank View Post
Got it CR brake line is the length I want. Will probably use the stock one until I get the bike together and ride it some... then i can order one for exactly the length I need.

Next question:
The triple clamp I got for the YZ'Dakar conversion works w/ Fat Bars 1 1/8th inch. So I need to get some bars for it.

I'm looking at 4 different bends. Leaning toward the Pastrana FMX bars. Anyone have any experience with different bars and what would they recommend?

Also does the stock throttle cable and clutch cable for the Dakar work with any of these options? I think I had the woods high on my old dakar and it worked fine even with a 1" bar riser.

CR High 31.5" wide, 3.74" High, 2.37" (pull back (wider than stock, about the same heigh and pull back sweep.)

Woods High 30.5 wide, 3.74" high, 2.45" pull back (still wider than stock. About the same as with the huge F650GS bar ends, higher and more sweep)

Pastrana FMX High 30.5" high, 4.75" high, 2.17" pull back (same as Woods but 1" higher but less sweep - might be good)

KX High 31.5" wide, 4.25" high, 2.21" pull back (wider, mid height and less sweep)
Gp,

You saw my set-up on the chaingang forum. I'm using the stock throttle cable.

I rerouted it and it works fine. Although at full left lock the engine will pick
up about 200 rpms. I never even notice it riding. Even on slow, technical terrain.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:11 AM   #3528
jpkailua
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 285
Hey Gangplank! What happened to the 800? After doing the fork conversion and changing out my headlight/gauge panel my bike weighs 415# w/fuel. could be about 408 # if I took the crash bars off-

Hopefully this summer I'll get my bike to Nevada - want to get up to the Black Rock Canyon - Maybe late may. I'll look you up if I do.

JP - from some chain gang events - Brother Steve is the go-ped guy...

(I went with a quad handle bar that was an exact dupe of the stock bar, but in aluminum. cut the ends for the heated grips, plugged them with wooden dowel and epoxy to mount the brush guards)
Old 03-14-2013, 10:29 AM   #3529
jpkailua
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangplank View Post
My project is a GS to YamaDakar upgrade so I need to extend the side stand by a few inches to Dakar length. Plan to weld on an extension.

Can someone (or a couple of people) tell me the measurement on a stock Dakar side stand? Center of bolt to foot?

Im trying to have the side stand fabbed up in advance so need a measurement to work with.

Thanks!

Posted mobile on Tapatalk
Lay the bike over on some grass - Starboard side too - extend brake stand - attach cheater pipe - torque brake stand down a few notch's - pick up bike - adjust as nec.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:51 AM   #3530
dwayne
Silly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpkailua View Post
Lay the bike over on some grass - Starboard side too - extend brake stand - attach cheater pipe - torque brake stand down a few notch's - pick up bike - adjust as nec.
by brake stand, do you mean kick stand?

Has anyone ever cracked a bracket this way, 'cause I was temped to try this but chickened out.

A "Day" of Dirt Biking Rockies East Slopes
High and Dry Colorado and Utah

"When your only tool is a hammer, every problem looks like a nail"
dwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:04 PM   #3531
jpkailua
Gnarly Adventurer

brake stand, kicks stand...Whatever.... I bent mine down. Works good, lasts long time
Old 03-14-2013, 03:54 PM   #3532
UnsafeHOTADVENTURE
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Are there any other options for an 18" rear wheel? Do any other rear hubs work with the f650 from different bikes? Im trying to hunt down a used hub to get superlaced but am having no luck and buying a used complete rear from a bmw is so overpriced I might as well just get a new Hub from woodys.

My main goal is to have an 18" rear while spending as little as possible

Let me know any suggestions you might have

Once Im done with the conversion I will have a set of 2011 G650GS Aluminum wheels 19" and 17". If anyone would like to trade straight up for some spoked wheels off any year F650gs I would be very grateful.
Im not using the front but I figure that most people would be more willing to trade for a set than just the rear alone.

I really just want that damn rear hub.

Thanks,
Zach
UnsafeHOTADVENTURE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 04:50 PM   #3533
nomad5326
Xventurous

Oddometer: 300
Couple front /rear wheels on eBay right now . One set at $200ish ea.
nomad5326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:57 PM   #3534
swamp
U lie&yo'breff stank

Oddometer: 1,788
i have a 2012 sertao front 21" wheel hub tire rotor and the sertao front fender up for grabs.

ill also get rid of the brembo front brake caliper

pm if interested. blah blah.

off the grid and deep in the woods
swamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:51 PM   #3535
UnsafeHOTADVENTURE
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad5326 View Post
Couple front /rear wheels on eBay right now . One set at $200ish ea.
Links?

I don't see anything like that. All i see are front wheels for 299 and up each and rear wheels for 345 and up each. There is an 01 rear that looks trashed as shit for 215 but I'm not too into that.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:53 PM   #3536
UnsafeHOTADVENTURE
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp View Post
i have a 2012 sertao front 21" wheel hub tire rotor and the sertao front fender up for grabs.

ill also get rid of the brembo front brake caliper

pm if interested. blah blah.
Im using the yamaha front wheel. Much cheaper and easily replaced. BMW is too pricey and making an axle/ bracket whatever is way to pricey considering the 100 dollar yammy wheel will do the same thing.

Thanks for the offer
Old 03-15-2013, 04:01 AM   #3537
TobyG
be happy :)

Oddometer: 499
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnsafeHOTADVENTURE View Post
Are there any other options for an 18" rear wheel? Do any other rear hubs work with the f650 from different bikes? Im trying to hunt down a used hub to get superlaced but am having no luck and buying a used complete rear from a bmw is so overpriced I might as well just get a new Hub from woodys.

As for wheels:
Front: F650 and F650GS are interchangable (you might have issues mounting an ABS Sensor, though!)

Rear: This is the tricky part, actually, the F650 hubs can be adapted to work on a GS, however, therefor you'll need to make a spacer to go in between the cush drive and the sprocket.
A few people who were racing those bikes in Rallyes did this conversion as they preferred the 6 chamber cush drive over the 3 chamber cush drive of the GS.
TobyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:58 AM   #3538
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnsafeHOTADVENTURE View Post

Once Im done with the conversion I will have a set of 2011 G650GS Aluminum wheels 19" and 17". If anyone would like to trade straight up for some spoked wheels off any year F650gs I would be very grateful.
Im not using the front but I figure that most people would be more willing to trade for a set than just the rear alone.

I really just want that damn rear hub.

Thanks,
Zach
Years back I converted my F650ST (classic w/ 17" front & rear) to a GS by having the front rim relaced by Buchanans.

The best way to accomplish a low cost rework of the rear to 18" would be to use your hub and lace it to an 18" rear wheel.

That said, I have to ask why? I looked into it but there is no real gain to doing it. Is there some specific tire you are trying to run at 18" that you can't get in 17"? Or is it just for the cool factor?
Old 03-15-2013, 09:16 AM   #3539
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Oddometer: 3,893
17" rear $150

17" rear $215

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !
Gravel Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 09:46 AM   #3540
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

If you can find a trashed 17" rear cheap buy it and use that hub to have an 17" built up.