Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2013, 01:53 AM   #3601
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Oddometer: 2,297
I've got the parts in, front end off, steering stem & lower triple off & working on drilling the security bolts. Those things are a bit of a PITA do far. Lol!! Once those are off & I install the new races in good to go. Need to get a heat gun & some new drill bits this week.

Posted mobile on Tapatalk
Old 04-01-2013, 02:03 AM   #3602
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kainic View Post
Did you do anything special on the steering stops? Make sure you post some pictures.
I'm planning to drill & tap the stops on the YZ lower triple for mine once I get them on the bike w/ the bars. Then use a steel bolt to adjust them. Pretty sure someone did a write up on it somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneC1 View Post
The racetech calculator is recommending springs for the stock piston rod forks not a cartridge system, take a look at the KTM990 recommendations on the same racetech calculator and you will start to see the difference in spring rates between piston rod forks and cartridge forks. Cartridge forks use a far lighter spring rate

You can look at a summary graph with various models here http://www.f650gs.crossroadz.com.au/...tVspringKG.pdf
I finally got around to looking at the chart. Maybe I'm a bit color blind but it's hard to tell the YZ426 from 640ADV on the chart. Either way at about 180 + bike at ~425 = 605 or 275 kg. The chart puts it right at .50 to .55 depending on bike/forks. The difference from bike to bike would be different forks & different valving.

Gangplank screwed with this post 04-01-2013 at 02:19 AM
Gangplank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:41 PM   #3603
creola
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 302
I am just about done machining a prototype ignition switch mount that I am planning to send to Wayne down under. I was hoping there might be someone in Florida, perhaps near Kissimmee, who would take a look at the mount before I send it.

If it passes muster I will be offering it at $35.00 plus shipping.

creola screwed with this post 04-02-2013 at 05:56 AM
creola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:00 PM   #3604
xt500nz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by isgila View Post
Herrhelmet qoute below $100USD if there are interest of 10 sets. For shipping to UK, we need Herrhelmet help on that. I also need to check out the postage cost to singapore.
so for now its 4 sets
1) isgila
2) xt500nz
3/4) tempered_lobster
anyone else ? these are links to raise the rear of the bike about 1 inch. when you finish the front forks install, then there is the rear to consider.
xt500nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:03 PM   #3605
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,905
For those swapping out dash assemblies, found the switch below with inbuilt LED's, supposed to fit the BM's

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Quality-U...079#vi-content

WayneC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 11:46 AM   #3606
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,067
I think the reality with these forks is a spring rate in the .6's is more likely needed.

With luggage and gear and the extra weight of the bike and rider, I would be shocked if .55 would be satisfactory unless one were really a lightweight.

I am not, and the suspension work I had done-- YZ 450 fork and Ohlins shock install complete-- is fantastic. I can rail into parking blocks or curbs without letting off or standing up, and the bike tracks like it's on rails. The BMW tech (who raced Baja a few years ago) rode it and compared it to his Dakar with Ohlins forks (leftovers from the Cannondale collapse) and very impressed.

my spring rate is .70, shortened 30mm (very close to stock Dakar for length) with a heavy Ohlins spring fitted for the shock. Keep in mind I am a heavy rider and will be travelling loaded for camping with all the panniers, racks, guards, etc that entails. The springs were custom made by the local suspension wizards here, but any quality suspension shop will have the ability to order you a custom set of springs.

The only hiccup to the install was my attempt to install wider Renthal bars and Acerbis handguards. No es bueno. The wider bars are great but they already took a lot of the available slack in the clutch and throttle cables, the electrical wires and brake line. When installing the Acerbis guards they smashed dead into the speedo and tach well before I ever reached full lock. I have very little additional room for bar risers. This is how people get around the problem of crushing their instruments-- bar risers. You will need a longer brake line at least.

I also installed a Touratech skid plate with storage, which requires one to disable the sidestand switch. When I was finished everything worked great aside from the neutral switch (which has always been wonky) is now on at all times.

I'll have dig in and see what I might have pinched. I don't know that the sidestand switch and the neutral switch are connected but they could be.
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 12:46 PM   #3607
isgila
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by xt500nz View Post
anyone else ? these are links to raise the rear of the bike about 1 inch. when you finish the front forks install, then there is the rear to consider.
Still waiting...
isgila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 01:21 PM   #3608
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

How heavy are you if ya don't mind my asking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbySands View Post
I think the reality with these forks is a spring rate in the .6's is more likely needed.

With luggage and gear and the extra weight of the bike and rider, I would be shocked if .55 would be satisfactory unless one were really a lightweight.

I am not, and the suspension work I had done-- YZ 450 fork and Ohlins shock install complete-- is fantastic. I can rail into parking blocks or curbs without letting off or standing up, and the bike tracks like it's on rails. The BMW tech (who raced Baja a few years ago) rode it and compared it to his Dakar with Ohlins forks (leftovers from the Cannondale collapse) and very impressed.

my spring rate is .70, shortened 30mm (very close to stock Dakar for length) with a heavy Ohlins spring fitted for the shock. Keep in mind I am a heavy rider and will be travelling loaded for camping with all the panniers, racks, guards, etc that entails. The springs were custom made by the local suspension wizards here, but any quality suspension shop will have the ability to order you a custom set of springs.

The only hiccup to the install was my attempt to install wider Renthal bars and Acerbis handguards. No es bueno. The wider bars are great but they already took a lot of the available slack in the clutch and throttle cables, the electrical wires and brake line. When installing the Acerbis guards they smashed dead into the speedo and tach well before I ever reached full lock. I have very little additional room for bar risers. This is how people get around the problem of crushing their instruments-- bar risers. You will need a longer brake line at least.

I also installed a Touratech skid plate with storage, which requires one to disable the sidestand switch. When I was finished everything worked great aside from the neutral switch (which has always been wonky) is now on at all times.

I'll have dig in and see what I might have pinched. I don't know that the sidestand switch and the neutral switch are connected but they could be.
Old 04-06-2013, 01:37 PM   #3609
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

this heavy:

That's me in Churchill Falls, Newfoundland. That's a size 54 Darien, size 44 Olympia Ranger pants. Size 14 Aerostich Combat Tourers. XXL Shoei Multitech

That's the Dakar in Churchill Falls:

The sharp eye will notice the right fork seal is blown in the above photo.

This is how I noticed it:

Where the hell did that oil on my right boot originate? From the fork.

I'm going to say 260 all kitted up.
Old 04-06-2013, 06:04 PM   #3610
xt500nz
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by isgila View Post
Still waiting...
Old 04-06-2013, 06:14 PM   #3611
xt500nz
Adventurer

what brand of fork seals did you guys use for 46mm yamaha forks? anyone got some that have'nt leaked !
Old 04-06-2013, 08:55 PM   #3612
isgila
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Fork seals

Yz all balls fork seals with acerbis fork socks. 1 year and still counting...
isgila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 09:11 PM   #3613
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

I just used Yamaha seals and seal skinz neoprene seal covers.

I was told by my buddy whose kid races both a YZ125F and a 2-stroke YZ250 that I should plan on changing them once a season because that's all they get out of them.

I should also mention that on these forks you really need to make sure the left side (the nut side) of the axle is tight while the right side is still floating with the pinch bolts loose. Do not tighten up the right side pinch bolts until you've pumped the forks a few times so that the fork can attain it's natural position. Otherwise the forks are torqued and wear on the bushes and the seals is accelerated.

I'm hoping I can get the seals to go longer than once a season, I also hope the seal skinz work. I bought the long kit and simply cut them down to the size I thought was best.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:32 PM   #3614
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Stock fork seals & moose racing fork skins.

Posted mobile on Tapatalk
Old 04-06-2013, 09:53 PM   #3615
Aquatic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,317
Raising a Dakar?

I will ask this in the Dakar thread as well

Has anyone ever raised a the front end of Dakar using the OEM forks? If yes, how?

I have a 6ft plenty mate who makes a Dakar look small. He has asked for me to come up with an idea to raise the bike.
I know alternate forks are the best option. But costing is also a factor here. So trying to get as many options as possible.
Aquatic is offline   Reply With Quote