User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2013, 09:33 AM   #3631
isgila
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Raising links

There an inmate who can make links to raise the rear an inch to match the front yz forks.
10 sets for below 100 bucks. We are short of 6 more orders. No headaches. Install with new bearings and seal and ride... interested..?
isgila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:57 AM   #3632
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Oddometer: 2,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by xt500nz View Post
just a tech note from a guy i spoke to ,who designed valintino rossi's m1 yamaha gp engine.wavebrakes are not a credible performance mod!, it's designed to lighten your wallet. resivour size ,and brake pads are where you spend the hard earned! cheer's.

I totally agree with you BUT keep in mind the mod he is doing is going from a 250mm YZ front brake rotor to a 270mm brake rotor.

I'm hoping to use an EBC 320mm brake rotor. I keep seeing mixed reviews and reports on whether the kit I bought works so I'll report back once I get it mounted up. Hopefully later this week. The stock BMW rotor is 300mm so I figured I'd go up and see how it does on and off road. Often dirt riders increase the 250mm puny YZ rotor to 270mm or 280. There are a lot of companies that make oversieze SM kits. Tust, EBC, Braking, etc.

To clarify:
Rotor type (waive vs. round) does little
Reservoir size (meaning 16 mm or 19 mm piston) makes a HUGE difference but also should be matched to the bike
Brake master cyl type meaning radial or standard type makes a huge difference.
Steel lines vs stock lines makes some difference. How much and how well depends on your application & use.
Rotor Size - makes a big difference. Bigger rotors offer more leverage. Just like using a breaker bar gives you more leverage. Same physics.
Brake Fluid can also make a big difference. If you ride hard and use the brakes a lot the brake fluid gets hot and boils. Different MFG's make better or worse fluids in this regard. Motul RBF-600 is pretty well recommended for trackday use. It is definitely good enough for dualsport or sportbike use. Cost a tiny bit more but worth it IMO.
Old 04-08-2013, 10:14 AM   #3633
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Oddometer: 2,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbySands View Post
Photos:

How it sits today:

Looking good buddy! I just got my new bearing races installed and am getting ready to finish the front end and then start on the rear shock. Finding time to get it done has been my problem lately.

Getting the new races installed took some time and effort. I heated the steering stem, froze the new races. I tried using a bearing race drive I got on the loan-a-tool program at Autozone but I didn't like how it was driving htem in so I did it the old fashioned way and tapped them in using a deadblow hammer. Once I got them in most of the way I used a home made bearing press to get them bottomed out and home all the way.

Out with the old:

Here is a pic of the bearing drive kit:

Here is a pic of the home made bearing press that I made using the two old races as the drivers. Face them the same way they go in so the base of the old race is driving the top of the new race into the cup on the frame.

Pic of the upper (left) & lower (right) at install

In with the new:

Here is the upper triple installed. Next up is drilling & taping the steering stops + grinding and filing the plastic, etc. to make it all fit nicely. I test fit the ignition to the mount and I think it will work nicely. With the right length spacer the steering lock might even work.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:06 PM   #3634
Aquatic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbfbouchard View Post
I was able to get them within .1mm of each other, and because the heim bearings are not twisting as they go up and down the ends could be slight out of phase with each other to make them exactly the same.

here is the photo of the links
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-u...9/IMG_3331.JPG

Awesome!!

I never said it was impossible. Just no guarantees.
Aquatic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:02 PM   #3635
xt500nz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangplank View Post
I totally agree with you BUT keep in mind the mod he is doing is going from a 250mm YZ front brake rotor to a 270mm brake rotor.

I'm hoping to use an EBC 320mm brake rotor. I keep seeing mixed reviews and reports on whether the kit I bought works so I'll report back once I get it mounted up. Hopefully later this week. The stock BMW rotor is 300mm so I figured I'd go up and see how it does on and off road. Often dirt riders increase the 250mm puny YZ rotor to 270mm or 280. There are a lot of companies that make oversieze SM kits. Tust, EBC, Braking, etc.

To clarify:
Rotor type (waive vs. round) does little
Reservoir size (meaning 16 mm or 19 mm piston) makes a HUGE difference but also should be matched to the bike
Brake master cyl type meaning radial or standard type makes a huge difference.
Steel lines vs stock lines makes some difference. How much and how well depends on your application & use.
Rotor Size - makes a big difference. Bigger rotors offer more leverage. Just like using a breaker bar gives you more leverage. Same physics.
Brake Fluid can also make a big difference. If you ride hard and use the brakes a lot the brake fluid gets hot and boils. Different MFG's make better or worse fluids in this regard. Motul RBF-600 is pretty well recommended for trackday use. It is definitely good enough for dualsport or sportbike use. Cost a tiny bit more but worth it IMO.
+1. it' just a price thing, and an industry that's not intrested in your culture, mostly $$$$.
xt500nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 08:09 PM   #3636
xt500nz
Adventurer

Quote:
I was able to get them within .1mm of each other, and because the heim bearings are not twisting as they go up and down the ends could be slight out of phase with each other to make them exactly the same.

here is the photo of the links
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-u...9/IMG_3331.JPG
do they weigh much?, i made some from steel, they were good anchors .
Old 04-08-2013, 10:36 PM   #3637
jbfbouchard
Denver Designer

Oddometer: 6
Quote:
do they weigh much?, i made some from steel, they were good anchors .
They are kinda heavy, but adjustable, one bolt and a couple turns any ride height you want......
jbfbouchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:52 AM   #3638
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,316
Quote:
+1. it' just a price thing, and an industry that's not intrested in your culture, mostly $$$$.

Yeah, I could give a toss about wave rotors and don't have them on any of my bikes, but keep in mind I had ordered an EBC 270mm kit and that pile of hogshyte wasn't even close to working, even though it was supposed to fit YZ450s.

That left me scrambling to find a kit-- any kit-- in 2 days. Which I did. It happened to be a wave rotor which meant nothing to me aside that it stopped the bike.

The front brake isn't just fine, it's very good. I suspect that a 310mm kit will be fantastic. Yesterday I commuted in the rain (I am leaving for Death Valley tomorrow morning and need some more shake down miles) and locked the rear and the front up a few times mucking around. You know how TKC's are in the wet.

I am still quite impressed with the way the bike rides now that the suspension has been improved. It's like another bike.
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:58 AM   #3639
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangplank View Post
Looking good buddy! I just got my new bearing races installed and am getting ready to finish the front end and then start on the rear shock. Finding time to get it done has been my problem lately.

Here is the upper triple installed. Next up is drilling & taping the steering stops + grinding and filing the plastic, etc. to make it all fit nicely. I test fit the ignition to the mount and I think it will work nicely. With the right length spacer the steering lock might even work.
Alright, as soon as you get your stops set you'll be on the home stretch. We didn't have to trim anything in the way of plastic but a tiny bit of metal trim-- almost impossible to tell.

Looking forward to seeing that thing back in one piece and getting your read on the forks/shock.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:16 AM   #3640
xt500nz
Adventurer

Quote:
They are kinda heavy, but adjustable, one bolt and a couple turns any ride height you want......
a bush inside a bush, grease and seal's. let's see if they get milage . another one , drill the oem hole's offset and larger, that bring the linkage holes closer together with bushes that match the roller bearing and bolt . maybe 5mm decrease, 3/4 inch raise ? reinforce with heliarc weld first, cos they do bend, could be the desired 7mm? .maybe someone else can improve on this, or disaprove? you can buy adjustables, but not for a gs. it's good to see stuff being developed by innovators, good result !
Old 04-09-2013, 02:00 AM   #3641
xt500nz
Adventurer

Quote:
Yeah, I could give a toss about wave rotors and don't have them on any of my bikes, but keep in mind I had ordered an EBC 270mm kit and that pile of hogshyte wasn't even close to working, even though it was supposed to fit YZ450s.

That left me scrambling to find a kit-- any kit-- in 2 days. Which I did. It happened to be a wave rotor which meant nothing to me aside that it stopped the bike.

The front brake isn't just fine, it's very good. I suspect that a 310mm kit will be fantastic. Yesterday I commuted in the rain (I am leaving for Death Valley tomorrow morning and need some more shake down miles) and locked the rear and the front up a few times mucking around. You know how TKC's are in the wet.

I am still quite impressed with the way the bike rides now that the suspension has been improved. It's like another bike.
you have a nice bike. mines done 80000 kms and is rooted. i try to be disiplined with my posts, but dont always elaborate. not getting sucked in and ripped off by bling agents was my point . good to hear yours works well, honda crf pads fit and bite well apparently. ive considered trials tyres for my next set, i think i feel a burn out coming on . cheers
Old 04-09-2013, 12:16 PM   #3642
mattomoto
2 wheels rule

Oddometer: 1,088
Quote:
Photos:
How it sits today:

BWDR!.
Bike looks great Bobbysands! Nice work.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:20 PM   #3643
nomad5326
Xventurous

Oddometer: 300
Nice Bobby! Was waiting to see a pic. Glad it all worked out. Finding that if you put some rubber washers on the front fender as well as the dash remount it softens the vib a bit. How's the new EBC?
nomad5326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:49 PM   #3644
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

I'm not getting bad vibes anywhere but the Double Take Mirrors. I just put them on tonight (right before leaving for a 2,400 mile ride-- dumb) but I noticed more shaking than in the stockers. The stock mirrors are very nice, the Double Takes are super nice and super adjustable, but they are heavy and thread on the BMW switchgear is not a regular metric thread. An M8 starts but binds quickly.

Aside from being very well aimed, they can fold inward out of harm's way.

I had to buy a Braking! kit. No more EBC for me. That bracket wasn't even in the same neighbourhood-- same hemisphere as the rotor. They collided horribly.

Anyway, I couldn't be happier with the results of the fork swap. I hope nothing falls off between here and Death Valley. Leaving at first light.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:21 PM   #3645
LoJack
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,431
The threading is probably a fine pitch m8x1.0 rather than m8x1.5.

I live in the land of sucky hardware stores now and can't find a fine pitch m10 bolt for my honda to put a heated grip switch on the mirror mount. There is a Fastenall, but they don't have anything stainless and won't break a bag. Sucks.
LoJack is offline   Reply With Quote