Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2013, 07:53 PM   #3736
michael1968
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnman View Post
Just found this on ebay, but can't find any information on the rim spec anywhere.

Its a trials rim, so not sure if it would be strong enough for use on the dakar, but excel rim and tubless sounds great for the back - what am I missing?

Its 18 x 400 , so not sure how that would compare with 18 x 2.5 inch that I need - Anybody know?
Yep, what other have said above. If you are looking for a rear rim you need a 'euro' spoke pattern, almost every other bike in the world runs a 'jap' pattern. The only other bike that I know of that runs a euro pattern 18 x 2.5 inch rim is the KTM 950SE but that still might not fit (apparently their hub is wider). I ordered mine from Woodies Wheel works, they custom drilled the rim in the correct pattern.

Cheers,
Michael
michael1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 01:54 AM   #3737
Barnman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post
You going to need a special hub for that rim. The spokes are the opposite way round.
Good idea though. Super strong rim and tubeless.
Good spot, I knew I had missed the obvious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp View Post
yep. i have a trials bike too.

also, the disc brake is going to be tiny .
I was thinking about lacing it to the BMW hub

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael1968 View Post
Yep, what other have said above. If you are looking for a rear rim you need a 'euro' spoke pattern, almost every other bike in the world runs a 'jap' pattern. The only other bike that I know of that runs a euro pattern 18 x 2.5 inch rim is the KTM 950SE but that still might not fit (apparently their hub is wider). I ordered mine from Woodies Wheel works, they custom drilled the rim in the correct pattern.

Cheers,
Michael
Thanks good info. Presumably it is possible to lace a BMW euro hub to a Excel jap rim but I am not sure what is needed or how this is done.

My current rim is 3.0 but the widest excel rim appears to be 2.5
Barnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:25 AM   #3738
michael1968
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnman View Post
Thanks good info. Presumably it is possible to lace a BMW euro hub to a Excel jap rim but I am not sure what is needed or how this is done.

My current rim is 3.0 but the widest excel rim appears to be 2.5
It's not possible, the holes in the hub point the wrong way.
michael1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 04:59 AM   #3739
Kainic
Almost there

Oddometer: 377
Did a search and couldn't find the answer so here goes.

I have the TT Magura X-Line (28mm) with 60mm risers set up. If I do the YZ swap can I continue to use these risers and handlebar or would I need a new setup?
Kainic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 02:09 AM   #3740
dansin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kainic View Post
Did a search and couldn't find the answer so here goes.

I have the TT Magura X-Line (28mm) with 60mm risers set up. If I do the YZ swap can I continue to use these risers and handlebar or would I need a new setup?
I would think so, but you may need to get the holes in the risers lengthened. I had to do that with the Barkbusters risers for the original bars. Now running Fatbars and it all fits.
dansin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:58 PM   #3741
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Oddometer: 2,305
I went with the Pro Taper fat bar & a n applied racing upper triple. Then got the Highway Dirt Bikes hand guards. The HDB guards come with a billet tip clamp so I used the old top clamps as a bar riser. :). Just got longer bolts at ACE hardware & put the old top clamps on upside down on top of the lower mounts. Added a small 1/4" spacer to add a bit more.

Looks like this & CBOA approved.

Led turn signals!

Posted mobile on Tapatalk

Gangplank screwed with this post 05-11-2013 at 08:03 PM
Gangplank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 02:23 PM   #3742
creola
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 302
Hey Josh,

I could machine a couple of pieces for you that would replace the original bottom clamps and alleviate the semicircle you appear not to be using. They could also incorporate the spacer height.

How did the ignition mount work for you?

Rock
Old 05-13-2013, 12:12 AM   #3743
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by creola View Post
Hey Josh,

I could machine a couple of pieces for you that would replace the original bottom clamps and alleviate the semicircle you appear not to be using. They could also incorporate the spacer height.

How did the ignition mount work for you?

Rock
Hi Rock. That might work!! It's a work in progress. I've been test fitting & reworking as I go but now I know the height so we could easily work something to replace what I've got now.

I haven't fit the ignition mount yet. I've been working on the other parts & mock ups. Now that I've got everything in place the ignition mount is coming up soon on my list.

It's a great looking piece & sure looks like it will fit no problem. It might be another week or two. I have 3 trackdays in 2 weeks + the day job lol!!

Here is a pic of the front end finally fit up.

I'm pretty happy with things so far. Horn placement is an issue but I'm working out a solution.

Gangplank screwed with this post 05-13-2013 at 12:27 AM
Gangplank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 02:19 AM   #3744
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Oddometer: 3,873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangplank View Post
Hi Rock. That might work!! It's a work in progress. I've been test fitting & reworking as I go but now I know the height so we could easily work something to replace what I've got now.

I haven't fit the ignition mount yet. I've been working on the other parts & mock ups. Now that I've got everything in place the ignition mount is coming up soon on my list.

It's a great looking piece & sure looks like it will fit no problem. It might be another week or two. I have 3 trackdays in 2 weeks + the day job lol!!

Here is a pic of the front end finally fit up.

I'm pretty happy with things so far. Horn placement is an issue but I'm working out a solution.
You have carpet on your garage floor ?!
May I borrow some Grey Poupon ?

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !
Gravel Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 06:22 AM   #3745
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Seeker View Post
You have carpet on your garage floor ?!
May I borrow some Grey Poupon ?
Nope... It's a garage mat. Cost about $25 at Lowes Depot. Indoor/outdoor rug. Works good & keeps the place from becoming a mess.

Old 05-13-2013, 06:49 AM   #3746
tomatoe333
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,238
Quote:
A little hard to see here, but I mounted a Fiamm Freeway Blaster using one of the bolts that attaches the lower engine mount "shell." You could put the stock horn there, but the mud exposure might not be good for it. The stock horn wires were _just_ long enough to reach once I pulled the harness back.

Old 05-13-2013, 04:06 PM   #3747
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomatoe333 View Post
A little hard to see here, but I mounted a Fiamm Freeway Blaster using one of the bolts that attaches the lower engine mount "shell." You could put the stock horn there, but the mud exposure might not be good for it. The stock horn wires were _just_ long enough to reach once I pulled the harness back.

I wound up mounting mine to the beak. You can't really see it in this pic. It is on the right fork leg at the top. It is facing forward and I'd guess would catch a lot a water if it rained so I'm planning to point the plastic horn shaped end of it down instead of forward. Do they need to be kept away from water and mud?

Old 05-17-2013, 04:14 AM   #3748
Aquatic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post
You got mail

I'll be making myself a set next weekend(all going well).

Farking finally managed to get some machine time!!!

For those that are interested.

The 3 stages - Block, Stage 1, Stage 2

Complete machined. Straight out of the machine, no deburring required

I'm going to do a test bearing fit this weekend. Hold thumbs.
Anodising next week.

Any interested parties, PM me for details
Aquatic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 04:38 AM   #3749
GSBS
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,862
Quote:

FYI, there was just enough room for my stock horn inside the headlight cowling, directly beneath the light globe assembly, and the wires required no modifications. I simply drilled a single hole through the bottom of the plastic cowling and used one bolt to mount.

Oddly, the horn is now noticeably louder and crisper than it ever was when mounted in the front fender.
GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 05:52 AM   #3750
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSBS View Post
FYI, there was just enough room for my stock horn inside the headlight cowling, directly beneath the light globe assembly, and the wires required no modifications. I simply drilled a single hole through the bottom of the plastic cowling and used one bolt to mount.

Oddly, the horn is now noticeably louder and crisper than it ever was when mounted in the front fender.
I have 2 horns wired up actually. It came that way. One is the stock BMW and the other was a PIAA 500hz. I managed to mess up the PIAA somehow installing it so I'm using a horn off my GSXR-750 track/race bike.

The stock wire is just long enough to mount the stock one to the radiator mounting bolt on the right side of the bike. I might put the other inside the front fairing shroud like u suggest or I might try to put it on the left side radiator mount.

They are way louder once you pull them from under the fender in the stock location. Lol!! The stock set up is a pretty silly place to put it.

Do you think it sounds louder in the headlight fairing shroud b/c the sound is pointing toward you vs. out toward other vehicles? The stock under fender has the sound going to the wheel & ground.