Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2013, 08:22 AM   #3916
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,318
Every time I see that machine BSGS, I think what a neat result from initial misfortune and then all your work
Old 06-25-2013, 08:38 AM   #3917
Barnman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael1968 View Post
They do if you're not careful with the tyre levers but you can always just get the permanent marker out for small scratches.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSBS View Post
Last year when I did the YZ fork conversion, I also had Woody's Wheels in Denver make up two black Excel rims (18 and 21) for me using their Superlace heavy duty spokes. Very nice. I wanted the 18" rear to help compensate for the taller YZ front end.

So far I've changed three rear tires and two fronts and have not scratched them at all. Of course I do use a HF tire machine and Mojo Lever. If you're concerned about scratching black rims with tire irons you can always use the clip-on rim guards when changing (or bits of plastic milk jugs or soda bottles like I do).

I really do prefer black rims on most any dirt or DS bike:
Sounds good - Thanks.
Barnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 08:41 AM   #3918
Barnman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangplank View Post
Just curious how you routed your front brake line?
I think its just a trick of the light that you can't see it. I haven't done anything particularity clever, just standard routing, but it feeds through the 'channel' in the mudguard. If you look closely where the mudguard attaches to the stainless bracket, then look at the upper one, you may be able to see it has a clip on cover. The F800 is dual disks so one on each side, but obviously I only need to use the left side one.
Barnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 09:19 AM   #3919
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Oddometer: 2,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSBS View Post
Last year when I did the YZ fork conversion, I also had Woody's Wheels in Denver make up two black Excel rims (18 and 21) for me using their Superlace heavy duty spokes. Very nice. I wanted the 18" rear to help compensate for the taller YZ front end.

So far I've changed three rear tires and two fronts and have not scratched them at all. Of course I do use a HF tire machine and Mojo Lever. If you're concerned about scratching black rims with tire irons you can always use the clip-on rim guards when changing (or bits of plastic milk jugs or soda bottles like I do).

I really do prefer black rims on most any dirt or DS bike:

I agree. The look of this bike is great. I'm working on something similar but all black.

So how does the supermoto fender work for you? I have the same one. A little concerned about mudd and rain but not too much.

Considering the F800GS low fender mod. Decisions decisions.
Old 06-25-2013, 09:37 AM   #3920
GSBS
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,901
Quote:
I agree. The look of this bike is great. I'm working on something similar but all black.

So how does the supermoto fender work for you? I have the same one. A little concerned about mudd and rain but not too much.

I did an all-day ride in variable rain - around 250 miles, mostly on-road - a couple of weeks ago and didn't notice any significant difference in the SM fender and the stock beak. I initially put a YZ fender on there, but changed to the SM one because above 80-85 mph the YZ fender was blowing around and floppy. So, it works just fine for me.
GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 06:04 AM   #3921
stefg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
disc

With these mods, does any of you have a good used front disc for sale at good price?

Keep the ruber down
stefg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:43 AM   #3922
racergirl479
Flying Merkel

Oddometer: 661
Quote:

I think ill go with the low fender as well
racergirl479 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:46 AM   #3923
racergirl479
Flying Merkel

Ok, a few last questions, and parts to order before I dive into the conversion this week...

I just placed the order for Highway Dirtbike Bars and in the process, emptied my bank account

cant wait to get it done. I was riding in the mountains this past week and boy does she need a new front end.

So, what have yall done for front brake lines... I have abs on the bike now and want to remove it while im doing it... what length line do I need, and also, I have a banjo bolt from the yz250... can I use that on my Yamaha brake caliper and the bmw end on the other side? what to do what to do....

Thanks!
Old 07-01-2013, 09:14 AM   #3924
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Oddometer: 2,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by racergirl479 View Post
Ok, a few last questions, and parts to order before I dive into the conversion this week...

I just placed the order for Highway Dirtbike Bars and in the process, emptied my bank account
The things are expensive and you may or may not need bar riders to make sure everything clears the cockpit with enough turning radius. The stock brake and throttle cable worked for me without a hitch. If you need longer ones they can be ordered from Motion Pro and they can reuse the BMW hardware to make custom length.

Quote:
cant wait to get it done. I was riding in the mountains this past week and boy does she need a new front end.

So, what have yall done for front brake lines... I have abs on the bike now and want to remove it while im doing it... what length line do I need, and also, I have a banjo bolt from the yz250... can I use that on my Yamaha brake caliper and the bmw end on the other side? what to do what to do....

Thanks!
I am ditching the ABS. I've been told sole make the stock YZ line work. I had a custom line made. Not sure the length. I just used a piece of cable to measure what I needed and then weld to the local brake hose / brake line shop in town and had it made. Took a day.

The banjo bolts should all be the same I think. Brembo style all around. Can anyone confirm?
Old 07-01-2013, 07:14 PM   #3925
Kainic
Almost there

Oddometer: 381
Quote:

Thanks!
What setup did you go with?
Kainic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:42 PM   #3926
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,337
I used a stock Yammie front brake line. Obviously it works with the Yammie caliper but this fitting was needed to make it work with the front master cylinder.

And then you can simply order the Yammie fork guards and route the brake line as normal. No extra length is needed but you will need a brake line guide up top and at the lower triple.

Ignition plate:

Looking down on ignition plate and brake guide up top, which is a Yammie piece:

I went with a much wider bar than the stockers and used the stock Yammie brake line. No issues.

-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 10:06 PM   #3927
racergirl479
Flying Merkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kainic View Post
What setup did you go with?
I have a yz wheel, axle, and caliper. I got the SM rotor kit that has the caliper relocation bracket and everything. That should be just fine...

Will the bmw lower brake line work for the yz wheel then, if banjo bolts are the same...? If i am removing abs, though, will i have to get a new brake line..? or can i just disconnect the abs pump, throw a screw in there, and keep the same brake lines?

Question with the HDB setup as well. I have applied triple clamp, and ordered to fit that... i shouldnt have a problem with clearance. however, can i still use my bmw grips (and heated grips) with the new bars...?
Old 07-01-2013, 10:18 PM   #3928
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,318
Re removing the ABS, from memory you will need to extend speedo sensor signal to the dash (loop at the ABS plug)

Re heated grips, you need to drill the bars in the center and make adaptors for the bar ends to allow for the grip wiring

There is a good write up at f650 by Michnus http://f650.com/forum/showthread.php?22683

And another by Komatias http://www.dakar.pwp.blueyonder.co.u...allation_1.htm

Some of the info is in the fork upgrade page I put on line http://www.f650gs.crossroadz.com.au/ForkUpgrades.html
Old 07-01-2013, 11:13 PM   #3929
jkphoto
Sometime Adventurer

Oddometer: 76
Do you have a source for where to get the 90 degree fitting that you used?

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbySands View Post
I used a stock Yammie front brake line. Obviously it works with the Yammie caliper but this fitting was needed to make it work with the front master cylinder.

jkphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:29 PM   #3930
dansin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
Quote:
Question with the HDB setup as well. I have applied triple clamp, and ordered to fit that... i shouldnt have a problem with clearance. however, can i still use my bmw grips (and heated grips) with the new bars...?
You can fit BMW heated grips without drilling the bars:-

I wanted to keep the heated grips so I stripped off the old grip rubbers carefully so as not to damage the elements. Traced the wiring back to the space in front of the battery. Disconnected the plugs and used a small screwdriver to take ease the connectors out of the plugs. This allowed me to pull the wiring completely out without cutting anything.

I unwound the elements and rewound them from the outside to the inside. I extended the groove that they sit in across and through the shoulder on the inner edge. On the clutch side this allowed me to pass the cable into the control perch and through with the existing wiring back to it's original location. I didn't want to drill the new bars so glued the heated grip plastic to the bars using impact adhesive. It's rock solid so far but I can always drill and tap it if it does move.

On the throttle side I left a 'U' of cable at the front to allow the throttle to work.

dansin is online now   Reply With Quote