Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-01-2013, 01:29 AM   #4081
Gravel Seeker
Thomas

Oddometer: 3,950
Quote:
Originally Posted by TobyG View Post
Me personally, I like the second extreme they'd built a lot better
(as for the yellow extension of the front fender, the did this as an emergency fix as too much mud got thrown at the rider in this race)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupin 3rd View Post
That's funny, I think the yellow beak is an improvement over the regular Oryx look.
I used to be a big fan of the Oryx when it first came out. There was a guy over here (on the west coast) who built one and I remember really craving one too. If I'd had the USD 16.000,- the kit cost (I think it was) I would've bought it.

Now though, I'm not such a fan of the Oryx, the line are too rounded off. I dunno, there's just something about it that rubs me the wrong way now

2005: Australia - 8 months/ 26.000 km (anti clockwise circle)
2009: Norway - 2 weeks/ 6000 km (Lindesnes to North cape)

Gravel Seekers.com

Hey !
It's the African ant eater ritual !
Gravel Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 01:41 AM   #4082
Aquatic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Seeker View Post
I used to be a big fan of the Oryx when it first came out. There was a guy over here (on the west coast) who built one and I remember really craving one too. If I'd had the USD 16.000,- the kit cost (I think it was) I would've bought it.

Now though, I'm not such a fan of the Oryx, the line are too rounded off. I dunno, there's just something about it that rubs me the wrong way now
I can honestly say I hated the look of the Oryx from the first time I saw it.
Aquatic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 03:03 AM   #4083
TobyG
be happy :)

Oddometer: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupin 3rd View Post
That's funny, I think the yellow beak is an improvement over the regular Oryx look.

This one is interesting, I see they added some reinforcements around the radiator. I take it the oil tank is between the engine and the fuel tank, and the fuel regulator had been moved to make space for the carbon fiber airbox...

Heh, nice pics here (The Official F650R & F650RR thread): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=645385

These are not reinforcements, but actually mounts for the 2 front tanks and the 2 GMX radiators.

Yeah, the oil tank ist the aluminium tank between the engine and the fuel tank.
The battery sits below the oil tank in a kinda awkward angle. Very hard to reach down there, but it's a Hawker, after all.

The fuel regulator has been movoed to make space and to make it easier to access it.
On the other side of the engine in about the same position there ist the fuse box and some electrical stuff.
TobyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:10 AM   #4084
hasenwerk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,255
Wow… sometimes Adventure Rider reads better than any novel I have read, by far this has to be one of the more interesting and dynamic threads on this site!

I am in the research phase of my USD fork quest. I would like critique on what I am about to do to see if I am on the same page as everyone else. Yes, this is almost as long as this entire thread - so please bear with me!

I have two bikes and this fork upgrade will eventually be on both bikes. A 2006 650 regular GS with no ABS and will have by the end of the week a 2013 650 Sertao of course with ABS. The 2006 is going to happen first. The purpose of these bikes is long gravel roads and adventure touring. This summer my wife and I will do a cross Canada trek doing the Dempster, Northern Quebec and Trans Labrador Highway. So these bikes are going to be heavy and travel on some very rough terrain at times. For this post, I will deal only with the 2006 GS.

My plan is to use an entire Yamaha front end: forks, triple, wheel, brake, brake line from a “short head” Yamaha so I don’t have to use a shim. Instead of spending $500 on a custom axle, shims and brake holder I will spend that money instead on a 320mm EBC disc conversion and use as many off-the-shelf parts as possible for later serviceability and have money left in my pocket. The 21” Yamaha wheel, bearings and caliper setup appear to be rock solid and spares are available in almost any town unlike BMW parts.

So far, no modding, now the modding questions.

Fact learned from this thread: The YZ suspension has 30cm of travel and the 650 Dakar 27cm of travel, if left unmodified would result in the skid plate hitting the ground if you were to really try hard. The necessary modification is to limit the travel of the YZ suspension to about 10.5 inches (26.5cm of travel) so that bad things won’t happen after becoming airborne.

Fork Mods
This is where some people chime in and say WHY neuter something - which I fully agree as it limits it’s original design and involves custom parts. It seems that most people who do want to run the 30cm of travel choose to install a $1000 rear shock that allows that travel on the back end as well or installs slightly shorter dog-bones to get the back end of a tad more. The Touratech rallye skid plate replaces the under-the-engine-sub-frame and gives you about 4cm of additional ground clearance, so am I missing something here? Why not just run a standard Dakar shock and install a “shallower” engine skid plate? This way the budget stays healthy and you won’t bottom out the bike? The only mod I will do with the forks is install some 0.52 or 0.54 kg/mm springs and fresh oil and seals. Is 0.54 sufficient for a bike that will for more than 50% of the time have a bike + rider + gear weight tipping the scales at the 375kg range? What weight of oil would be correct?

Shock Mods
Early in the thread there was mention of a Suzuki DL1000 rear shock that could be used. These are plentiful on eBay and cost less money than BMW units. From what I have read here - the most critical measurement of a shock is it’s compressed length and that it can’t be shorter or else you might hit the tail of the bike on full compression. The Ohlins and Dakar rear shock is said to be 268mm compressed length and their stroke is 58.0 / 60.5mm respectively. Doing some math here it seems the mechanical advantage of the dog-bones gives a 3.5:1 ratio as the travel with the dakar is 203mm (203 / 58 = 3.5 ) so the Ohlin would give about 212mm of travel (someone please correct me if I am wrong - I will correct below with the correct info). The Suzuki DL1000 rear shock has a 75mm stroke so that would give 260mm of travel which could be a good thing for those who want it, compressed length is within 2mm. The DL650 shock is 1cm longer on the compressed length but seems to be almost identical to the Dakar offering a mid ground in suspension travel between the 650 Ohlin and the 650 TT WP shock. So to me, it seems that the DL650 shock might be the way to go as it’s compressed length is 1cm longer than the Dakar shock, so it won’t go up as high into the bike, travel is greater than the 650 Ohlin.

Question what is a matched spring rate for a 0.52 or 0.54 front spring with a bike + rider + gear weight tipping the scales at the 375kg range?

Extended Compressed Stroke Travel (@ 3.5x)
650 GS 315mm 266 48 168
650 Dakar 326mm 268 58 203
650 Ohlin 328.5mm 268 60.5 211
650 TT WP 336mm 265 71.5 250
650 HyperPro 336mm 265 72 252

DL1000 345mm 270 75 262
DL650 341mm 279 62 217
DL650 Ohlin 347mm 279 68 238

Why isn't there decent table support here???

Brakes
On a non-ABS system using the original Yamaha caliper: Does the Yamaha brake line connect to the BMW master cylinder “as is”, so correct banjo fitting and correct length, just plug and play?

Chain
As I have a non-dakar, it is necessary to install a chain roller up front or is a chain guide at the rear sprocket enough?

The 2006 GS, pre-modificaitons

ADVRIDER Discount: BMW F650 GS & Dakar / G650 GS & Sertao "Adventure Extender" 6L / 1.6gal Auxiliary Fuel Tanks
hasenwerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:52 PM   #4085
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Oddometer: 2,294
And done! Pretty happy with the final result.

Still working through a few final details.
Need to tune in the suspension a bit. New shock so that will take some test riding.
Brakes need to be run in a bit. New rotor & new pads so I need to work them in a bit and then see how I feel about it all. Might be swapping to the YZ banjo bolt on the master cylinder end. I'm using the F650GS banjo and compared to the YZ banjo it has a bit later hole in it. That is if the threads fit. If not I may just go to a YZ master and get a pressure switch for the brake light.

I'm thinking now that I relocated the turn signals the holes were the old ones where migh work for mounting some running lights. :-)

Gangplank screwed with this post 09-09-2013 at 02:26 PM
Gangplank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:37 PM   #4086
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,809
any of you guys running the yz forks on the dakar running the brake cable secured to 2 points so it bends? im running it the standard yz way with the cable sliding through the loops right now but dont like the extra brake line over the dash area.
kubiak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 02:43 PM   #4087
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

pic of the yz brake cable and vapor cable sliding through the hoops. can i mount them like a stock xrl or klr and let them bend with the suspension or do i need special lines?
Old 09-09-2013, 02:46 PM   #4088
Aquatic
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubiak View Post
any of you guys running the yz forks on the dakar running the brake cable secured to 2 points so it bends? im running it the standard yz way with the cable sliding through the loops right now but dont like the extra brake line over the dash area.

I did this on an ABS bike. I'm sure the concept will work on a bike without the manifold/junction on the neck. I made the 'hoop' from 5mm Stainless wire.

Old 09-09-2013, 02:57 PM   #4089
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post
I did this on an ABS bike. I'm sure the concept will work on a bike without the manifold/junction on the neck. I made the 'hoop' from 5mm Stainless wire.

Aren't you concerned that might catch in the wheel?
Old 09-09-2013, 03:47 PM   #4090
Aquatic
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangplank View Post
Aren't you concerned that might catch in the wheel?

Not really
I took the calliper banjo and turned it out slightly. The hose is also quite rigid and under flex it went outwards. It took serious effort to get the hose to touch the wheel. The only way it would touch is under heavy compression(bottomed out) and something pushing the hose inwards towards the wheel. And even then the hose would need to kink to get there.
It is no more vulnerable than the OEM setup. IMHO of course
Old 09-09-2013, 05:04 PM   #4091
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquatic View Post

thanks aquatic i might have to try it!
Old 09-09-2013, 05:14 PM   #4092
kubiak
Beastly Adventurer

it looks like a lot of the dualsports have the brake and speedo lines bolted down and flex with the suspension so now im really thinking on doing it lol!
Old 09-09-2013, 05:31 PM   #4093
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kubiak View Post
it looks like a lot of the dualsports have the brake and speedo lines bolted down and flex with the suspension so now im really thinking on doing it lol!
yep the "new" CR routing is to run it inside the fork and clamp it in place at the guard.

I didn't want to route mine inside until I had the clamo piece so I did it on the outside and used zip ties to lock it in place.

Maybe a big pic:
Old 09-12-2013, 11:34 AM   #4094
dansin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Front brake line

Mines fixed to the fork guard with a couple of cable ties and then runs through a P clip on the lower triple. I'd prefer it if it flexed up with the suspension but it just flexes out.

Untitled
dansin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 03:34 PM   #4095
Gangplank
Advenchaintourer

For people that went from a GS to Dakar height what did you do for the side stand?

I've been looking for a used side stand but no luck.

I was going to have an extension welded on it but its $85 (min charge). A new one is $106 at the BMW shop so I might buy one and sell my used one.