User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-2009, 05:53 PM   #751
wswartzwel
Unsafe at any speed

Oddometer: 1,036
Notmybikemodelname,
Are you using the adapter for the BMW wheel/BMW brake caliper? or are you using a Yamaha wheelYamaha Brakes?

2006 BMW R1200GS
2010 KTM 690 ENDURO R
1969 BSA STARFIRE

wswartzwel screwed with this post 11-03-2009 at 06:49 PM
wswartzwel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 06:40 PM   #752
southbound
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
I used the bearings that came with the triples I bought, it took a couple of adjustments in the first few hundred miles - I had to keep tightening them. But once I got them right they have stayed right for 6500 miles or so.
southbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 07:29 PM   #753
col klink
the str8n'r

Oddometer: 87
Yamaha forks on a BMW F650GS Dakar

Quote:
Originally Posted by skibum_1260
Breaking has not been an issue with the stock setup, lots of offroad and onroad miles ive never needed any more stopping power, that was one thing i was concerned with but it hasnt been an issue at all, and the springs yeah i seem to have them pretty close, dont feel to stiff and havent gotten it to bottom out once yet even after some descent jumps, you may have trouble if your a heavier rider but im only 175 so the heaviest ones i got worked well for me.
That looks like a nice upgrade. Much more robust than the oem. May I ask what is the rate of the 'heaviest' springs you could get?
I can only imagine the forks are better than the stock damper rods forks.
At the same time I would also say the stock YZed forks could be made to be better suited to their new task.
Does look pretty cool though.

I have gotten very good results with goldvalve cartridge emulators and proper spring rate on many F650 series bikes.

2008 KLR685 w/Stage1 porting, Stock exhaust and intake,
GMDATL Alignment Correction (str8n'd the frame)
GMDATL spec/Racetech Goldvalve Emulators,
GMDATL spec/Racetech Shock Goldvalve, remote reservoir, compression adjuster and a 400# spring.
It's str8 now but it wasn't when it was new.
parabellum tall shield

www.gmdatl.com
Kent Soignier
col klink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 09:24 PM   #754
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!

Oddometer: 7,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by wswartzwel
Notmybikemodelname,
Are you using the adapter for the BMW wheel/BMW brake caliper? or are you using a Yamaha wheelYamaha Brakes?
All Yamaha, and it works absolutely stellar
notmybikemodelname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 10:00 PM   #755
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,128
Updated information re the KTM dust covers & seals JDRadman referred to

They are used on pretty much all KTM models 2000 to 2010

There are updated part No's in the KTM system

542.01.086.000 Steering Head Cover $7.99 All models 2000-10
546.01.184.000 Steering Head Gasket-Top $6.99 All models 2000-10
546.01.084.200 O-Ring Support w sealing lip $15.99 was 546.01.084.100
WayneC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 02:28 PM   #756
komatias
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by patobravo
Funny. I agree, where they're located and if the race angles don't match (and I'm not saying yours don't, I don't know) then they'll most likely just wear early and get notchy a lot faster, probably not a life threatening issue. In my case I was told they didn't and since I have better things to do than replace SHB's I figured I'd better do it right the first time as long as it was all apart already. There's some pics there on my link of the mismatched cones & races mated up, it sure ~seemed~ OK to me but I couldn't really tell so I though I'd ask the experts. Like I said, I just thought I'd share the info I got, the gist from the factory is if it's an ISO cone & race or an AGMA cone & race you're mixing you're fine, mixing ISO & AGMA cones & races will cause life to cease to exist as you know it . To find out what you have requires a little spelunking on the web (or a call to your local bearing shop).
You guys spent all that money to get the parts made. Could you not have asked a machinist to turn the axle down a tad and do the job properly? Ok it is safe to use the bearings with a different cup but what are you going to do come bearing change time? buy 4 bearings? just my thoughts..ur bike u do what u want
komatias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 07:01 AM   #757
JDRadman
Moto Head

Oddometer: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by komatias
You guys spent all that money to get the parts made. Could you not have asked a machinist to turn the axle down a tad and do the job properly? Ok it is safe to use the bearings with a different cup but what are you going to do come bearing change time? buy 4 bearings? just my thoughts..ur bike u do what u want
Komatias,

Actually it's only 3 bearings The top is still just one bearing...

And what are we really talking about here, maybe one more replacement in the life of the moto. Maybe never again if you keep them "properly" adjusted, cleaned and lubbed.

My thoughts are the extra bearing is just not a big deal. And it's more cost effective than a new or remanufactured stem pressed into the lower. That would add another level that many of the guys in the mix wouldnt have the facilities to do at home or the $$ to have it done.

"Properly" must be a relitive term?

But as always, I apreciate your perspective.

Rad
Old 11-08-2009, 11:39 AM   #758
BMW Iceland
Wet toes

Oddometer: 63
94 Funduro

Well gents, I'm convinced now. I am picking up a set of 06 YZ250F forks and trees tomorrow for my 94 Funduro. I'll be spending the Arctic winter darkness up here in the garage fitting it to the bike.........
BMW Iceland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 12:46 PM   #759
rc mad
Physycotic gecko

Oddometer: 1,423
erm, do they fit the funduros
Old 11-08-2009, 01:42 PM   #760
BMW Iceland
Wet toes

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc mad
erm, do they fit the funduros
That's the reason I'm spending the winter doing this hehe. Actually I am not sure, but after tomorrow I will have better idea. The outer bearing cup is 52x15 in the Funduro but 52x16 in the Yamaha. I think the Funduro headstock is, 7 1/4" not far from the dakar. There might be a clearance problem between fork and fuel tank, but I will try it out anyhow.
BMW Iceland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2009, 02:07 PM   #761
komatias
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
If the KTM forks fit the Funduro, the Yamaha ones surely will. The front wheel off the GS will also fit with spacers made to measure.
komatias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 12:48 PM   #762
freewheelernm
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Laugh bimmer forks

All you guys swapping out forks need to sell them to pay for your upgrades. I have an 03
650 with a broken right fork & stabilizer crosstie or whatever its called where the fender
mounts on. I would love to upgrade,but just want to get riding again. Contact me or post
here if you're interested in selling those parts.
This is my first post here, & I love the commentary!
freewheelernm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 12:53 PM   #763
drivenbydiscovery
`...><((((>`..

Oddometer: 346
where are you located? i'm sure somebody would be willing to help you out

Australia in a Land Rover / Central America on a Moto

..`...><((((>`..
drivenbydiscovery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 01:28 PM   #764
rc mad
Physycotic gecko

Oddometer: 1,423
I've got a set of forks doing nothing, the chrome sections have seen better days tho, some of the chrome is coming off , lowers are fine tho, just a bit of corrosion around the top end, nothing a clean up and spray / powdercoat wouldn't fix.

Slighty more on topic, after riding around on these forks and doing a bit of off-roading with them i've decided it's time to upgrade the srings, just fired off an email to house of horsepower, where rad sourced his springs, Can't find anywhere in the uk that can do the same unless i'm missing someone unnno

Plan is to fit the springs and ride around for the few hundred miles left untill the 24k service then send the forks off to be revalved while the bikes in pieces
Old 11-13-2009, 02:53 PM   #765
freewheelernm
n00b

Oddometer: 3
650 gs forks

I live in southern NM, 3 hrs from Tucson or Abq. Out in nowhere. I am also looking for a windshield for this 650 gs.
freewheelernm is offline   Reply With Quote