Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-13-2009, 07:41 PM   #766
JDRadman
Moto Head

Oddometer: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by rc mad

Slighty more on topic, after riding around on these forks and doing a bit of off-roading with them i've decided it's time to upgrade the srings, just fired off an email to house of horsepower, where rad sourced his springs, Can't find anywhere in the uk that can do the same unless i'm missing someone unnno

RC, Excellent decision....huge improvement to have the proper spring rates and damping...your gonna love it.

Rad
Old 11-14-2009, 05:14 AM   #767
wswartzwel
Unsafe at any speed

Oddometer: 1,036
I am gathering up items to do the fork swap on my bike this winter.

I weigh 180lbs... I was going to order progressive springs... What weight springs should I get?

What length brake hose should I order?

Thanks,
Bill

2006 BMW R1200GS
2010 KTM 690 ENDURO R
1969 BSA STARFIRE
wswartzwel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 07:10 AM   #768
rc mad
Physycotic gecko

Oddometer: 1,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRadman
RC, Excellent decision....huge improvement to have the proper spring rates and damping...your gonna love it.

Rad
well, i was initially looking at getting a power commander until i realised it was a waste of hard earned cash for not much increase in performance, then i remembered something someone once told me. Well sorted suspension is worth more then a increase of a few hp
Old 11-14-2009, 08:42 AM   #769
mpanther
KotW - Just Ride!

Oddometer: 1,036
great thread guys.
Lots of wonderful info.

IN for new info as it comes.

Also, You da Man, Rad for getting this all figured out for stock wheels.

ad·ven·ture n.
1. Participation in exciting or hazardous experiences.
2. An undertaking of a questionable nature.
3. An undertaking of a hazardous nature.

'83 GL650swi "My Little Grey Lady"
'86 LS650 Milady's bike
mpanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 01:49 PM   #770
BMacW650

Oddometer: 739
I've read this 50+ page thread from beginning to end at least 3 times. My 01 YZ250F front end is here. Hopefully Rad will get enough people to make his parts soon.

The most confusing part has to be the steering setup. I just want to lay it out what I 'think' I need to do based on what I read. Please help me check if it's accurate.

Parts: (for steering setup only)
Yamaha steering bearing kit
-Bottom bearing and race
-top bearing and race (Since people are saying the top bearing is the same as the BMW kit, I don't see why I need anything from BMW at all) ??
-top seal
KTM steering head cover (metal dust cap)
KTM steering head gasket top (top seal) Since people are saying the top seal from the YZ kit is not as good sitting on top of the bearing, I figure this might fit perfectly with the dust cap from KTM in place of the YZ top seal.

a spacer (size based on year of YZ fork) [I think this goes on top of the KTM dust cover under the steering stem retaining nut and the top triple) ??

Question:
Do I need a lower dust seal gasket under the bottom bearing?? (the pivoit works bearing kit only includes the top seal)

One more question about forks
Do I have to revalve the fork? Would a heavier spring be okay all by itself?

If you have a picture of how everything goes together for the steering bearings please post them here. It's also good to know, what parts to buy from different manufactures (Yamaha, BMW, KTM, etc.) as well as in what order they go together.

Thanks in advance.
BMacW650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 03:23 PM   #771
rc mad
Physycotic gecko

Well, got a respone from house of horsepower on monday, from someone called richard, didn't answer any questions but told me a price. i asked hime a couple of questions about reccomended spring weights and how to pay em.

Quote:
SPRINGS ARE 175 - ABOUT 30 FOR SHIPPING--

That's the whole email

Also tried a company in the uk with absolutly no response at all, sent the email at the same time

guess it's house of horsepower then. I'm guessing they are either busy or richard isn't the best with a computer

Rad, would you happen to have the email address of the person who delt with you, if not i'll going through richard.

BMacW650, this could get confusing, i used the bmw bearing cups with the yammie bearings, bottom seal was whaterver was with the yamaha fork assembly as was the top seal, am planning on getting the ktm part to fit at my 24k service.

The spacer on my 2000 forks was 11mm thick, and as you've probablly guessed i've been running the forks as is since fitting em a few months back. the stock springs are to soft for me so i'm going to fit progressive springs, don't know about the revalve tho. Guessing it'll need doing because it's setup for a bike thats way lighter than the dakar. I am going to do the valving at a later date, i need to purchase another bike to give me enough time to strip down the dakar to get that job done tho

rc mad screwed with this post 11-18-2009 at 03:36 PM
rc mad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 05:01 PM   #772
voomvoom
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
thats richard alright...
I emailed him a few times about revalving the front forks, and I got the same type of replies. Talked to him over the phone, seems like a nice guy tho.
voomvoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 07:18 AM   #773
BMW Iceland
Wet toes

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Well, got a respone from house of horsepower on monday, from someone called richard, didn't answer any questions but told me a price. i asked hime a couple of questions about reccomended spring weights and how to pay em.

That's the whole email

Also tried a company in the uk with absolutly no response at all, sent the email at the same time

guess it's house of horsepower then. I'm guessing they are either busy or richard isn't the best with a computer

Rad, would you happen to have the email address of the person who delt with you, if not i'll going through richard.

BMacW650, this could get confusing, i used the bmw bearing cups with the yammie bearings, bottom seal was whaterver was with the yamaha fork assembly as was the top seal, am planning on getting the ktm part to fit at my 24k service.

The spacer on my 2000 forks was 11mm thick, and as you've probablly guessed i've been running the forks as is since fitting em a few months back. the stock springs are to soft for me so i'm going to fit progressive springs, don't know about the revalve tho. Guessing it'll need doing because it's setup for a bike thats way lighter than the dakar. I am going to do the valving at a later date, i need to purchase another bike to give me enough time to strip down the dakar to get that job done tho
I was browsing US Ebay and stumbled across Gnarly MX http://stores.ebay.com/GnarlyMX they seem to be able to produce what you need in springs.

Cheers
Eythor
BMW Iceland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 10:18 AM   #774
BMW Iceland
Wet toes

94 Funduro

I test fitted the YZ250 forks today and as usual when I start a project, forgot my camera at home. It is almost a perfect fit, I need 6mm (1/4") spacer on top of the upper bearing. There are no clearance problems at all. I just have to manufacture a new axle and some spacers, but that was something I was expecting anyhow.
Old 11-19-2009, 03:15 PM   #775
BMacW650

Oddometer: 739
Quote:

Thanks for the answer.
So I need the bottom cup from BMW and use the Yamaha bottom bearing??

Did anybody actually take their bottom triple off and machined the steering stem down 1mm (1mm around would decrease the overall width to 2mm).
I'm already paying $150 for revalving, 100 for springs, why not another 100 bucks to get it done right, so I can just use one BMW bearing kit?
BMacW650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 05:03 PM   #776
BMW Iceland
Wet toes

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Iceland
I test fitted the YZ250 forks today and as usual when I start a project, forgot my camera at home. It is almost a perfect fit, I need 6mm (1/4") spacer on top of the upper bearing. There are no clearance problems at all. I just have to manufacture a new axle and some spacers, but that was something I was expecting anyhow.
Some first pictures:

Looks pretty good

I think I can even keep the stock aperance

I could not help my self, as I was changing headstock bearing in one of my rental 08 F650GS(twin) I had to test fit the the forks but unfortunately the headstock of the 08 is longer than the YZ, 990 Adventure might fit there
Old 11-19-2009, 10:06 PM   #777
Brute
Melbourne , outer east .

Oddometer: 1,028
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMacW650
Thanks for the answer.
So I need the bottom cup from BMW and use the Yamaha bottom bearing??

Did anybody actually take their bottom triple off and machined the steering stem down 1mm (1mm around would decrease the overall width to 2mm).
I'm already paying $150 for revalving, 100 for springs, why not another 100 bucks to get it done right, so I can just use one BMW bearing kit?
If your buying new bearings buy the Yamaha set . They fit perfect .
Brute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 07:11 AM   #778
BMW Iceland
Wet toes

Front axle

Well gentelmen,

I have been looking at my front axle approach on the Funduro.

I think the simplest solution is to mount the axle from the left!
Reason, well the diameter of the axle were it clamps in the right fork leg of the Funduro is the same as the left forkleg of the YZ, then I only have to manufacture a spacer/nut for the right YZ fork leg in outer diameter 25mm inner diameter 17mm threaded for 16mm at the end.

I can find no logic that states why the axle have to be mounted from the right sinde, the idea came to me when I looked at the new F650GS twin, there the axle is mounted from the left.

Please send me your thoughts on this

BMW Iceland screwed with this post 11-20-2009 at 08:39 AM
Old 11-20-2009, 09:33 AM   #779
rc mad
Physycotic gecko

Only issue i can think of is how the yz forks are designed to work.

Procedure for installing the wheel is to fit the whole thing (from the right) but leave axle clamps loose, tighten axle then tighten axle clamps. This ensures that the wheel is in the correct place with regard to the brake disc and caliper, because the whole wheel / axle assembly is being tightend up onto the left fork leg. The stock yz axle uses a nut that sits into a recessed section of the left leg, ensuring that the axle is in the correct posistion. This is replicated with the axle rad designed. It's a tried and trusted method and it works with no issues, your idea may also work, but alligning the caliper to the disc may be more complicated.

If that makes sense

I had a cbr600 that required feeler guages to get the front wheel in the correct place when removed, utter arse of a job. Had to put a feeler guage between a certain part of the caliper and disc before tightening everything up, even then it'd shift about. That bike ate three speedo drives before i new now too get the wheel in the correct posistion.

Oh, check your pm's
Old 11-20-2009, 01:43 PM   #780
BMW Iceland
Wet toes

Quote:
Only issue i can think of is how the yz forks are designed to work.

Procedure for installing the wheel is to fit the whole thing (from the right) but leave axle clamps loose, tighten axle then tighten axle clamps. This ensures that the wheel is in the correct place with regard to the brake disc and caliper, because the whole wheel / axle assembly is being tightend up onto the left fork leg. The stock yz axle uses a nut that sits into a recessed section of the left leg, ensuring that the axle is in the correct posistion. This is replicated with the axle rad designed. It's a tried and trusted method and it works with no issues, your idea may also work, but alligning the caliper to the disc may be more complicated.

If that makes sense

I had a cbr600 that required feeler guages to get the front wheel in the correct place when removed, utter arse of a job. Had to put a feeler guage between a certain part of the caliper and disc before tightening everything up, even then it'd shift about. That bike ate three speedo drives before i new now too get the wheel in the correct posistion.

Oh, check your pm's
Point taken, see you can't think of it all.........:S