User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2009, 11:42 AM   #91
JDRadman
Moto Head

Oddometer: 195
Aries71,
The YZ stops work as advertised with a minimal clearance issue. I removed (ground) some material on the bottom of the instrument support bracket . I cut out some material from the top of the black plastic radiator shroud with a box cutter to clear the bottom triple at full lock.

I have risers and hand-guards on my bike. The hand guards are about where they were before, just touching the instrument cluster at full lock.

Rad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aries71

Hey...what about steering stops? what did you do? Or did you bother? I know, I just don't shut up with the questions, but good info is hard to come by on this subject even at the Chain Gang.

Cheers
Pierre
JDRadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 12:21 PM   #92
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!

Oddometer: 7,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aries71
Well that's just it, we don't have too many of these around here, so when you see one it's enough to make you kiss the back of a semi if you're not careful LOL!!!! (thank goodness for ABS on that one!). Unfortunately we are not blessed like you guys in California where they seem to grow on trees...or out of the sandy beaches!!

Back to bikes; it's good to hear that there is quite a bit of adjustment possibilities available, I'm not very familiar with USD forks so that's why all the questions and also I want to do this only once and make sure it'll fit my riding.
I like your write up Rad, very informative.

Hey...what about steering stops? what did you do? Or did you bother? I know, I just don't shut up with the questions, but good info is hard to come by on this subject even at the Chain Gang.

Cheers
Pierre
Just used the stock steering stops.

The guys on F650.com would rather talk about what to do and never do it, but have all of the answers in the world Those guys should ride more and write less, then they might have some worthwhile opinions. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it
notmybikemodelname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 08:19 PM   #93
JDRadman
Moto Head

The Axle spacer and nut are done. We hope to get machine time to get started on the hanger by this weekend ... we will just have to wait and see.

I agree Mato, your bike knows what's going on...be careful

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattomoto

Rad- my bike must know something is up... My left fork seal took a huge dump today on the trail. Nice flowing of fork oil all the way home. How's the progress coming with the brace/axle?

Matto
Old 02-25-2009, 02:40 AM   #94
Brute
Melbourne , outer east .

Oddometer: 1,025
I`ve recently missed a couple of sets of wr forks on ebay so I went & bought a later model right lower fork leg ( concerns about the few that have broken ) I`d still be interested in chasing a set of yz/wr forks if I could mount my original front wheel . Please keep us informed of your axle & caliper bracket Radman .
Brute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 05:25 PM   #95
mattomoto
2 wheels rule

Oddometer: 1,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRadman
The Axle spacer and nut are done. We hope to get machine time to get started on the hanger by this weekend ... we will just have to wait and see.

I agree Mato, your bike knows what's going on...be careful
yup, that is why the yamie fork is in the basement and not out in plain site of the F. I did install new H*nda seals in my stock for so I can still ride it. Going out tomorrow to roost some dirt. Maybe I can barrow Notmybike...'s idea and roost my buddies with beer That is a funny write up. Nice work on your Dakar, Notmybike...
Old 02-25-2009, 08:39 PM   #96
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattomoto
yup, that is why the yamie fork is in the basement and not out in plain site of the F. I did install new H*nda seals in my stock for so I can still ride it. Going out tomorrow to roost some dirt. Maybe I can barrow Notmybike...'s idea and roost my buddies with beer That is a funny write up. Nice work on your Dakar, Notmybike...
Thanks, I'm glad you enjoy another man's unfortunate loss . It felt like a good mexican friend died.

I'm working on a new tank for my bike that is rallye inspired. It involves a new solo seat and a tank that takes the balance of the rear part of the stock seat and slightly overhangs the sides a bit. it will hold 1.6 gallons. The rear fender will be built in. Once that and my new tank panels are built which will also hold another .75 g's per side, along with a new fairing, I'll post pics. Should be ready in about a month. All Carbon/Kevlar using scrimp comstruction. Ultra light and mega strong!
Old 02-26-2009, 10:51 PM   #97
Aries71
Adventure seeker

Oddometer: 29
Quote:
I'm working on a new tank for my bike that is rallye inspired. It involves a new solo seat and a tank that takes the balance of the rear part of the stock seat and slightly overhangs the sides a bit. it will hold 1.6 gallons. The rear fender will be built in. Once that and my new tank panels are built which will also hold another .75 g's per side, along with a new fairing, I'll post pics. Should be ready in about a month. All Carbon/Kevlar using scrimp comstruction. Ultra light and mega strong!
I'm looking forward to seeing that!!

Cheers
Aries71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 08:14 AM   #98
mattomoto
2 wheels rule

Oddometer: 1,073
Cry

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmybikemodelname
Thanks, I'm glad you enjoy another man's unfortunate loss . It felt like a good mexican friend died.

Lose of good Mexican beer sucks! I feel your pain Brotha. That tank sounds sweet. Good luck with it.

Matto
Old 03-02-2009, 04:32 PM   #99
JDRadman
Moto Head

I got parts

BUMP

Just so you all know this is still alive...

We ran the parts last weekend and so far the pictures look good but I need to fit it up with the wheel to really be sure it works. I should have the prototypes here later this week to mock up the wheel / brake assembly. I will take pictures of the completed bike later this week and try to post them.

Once I get the brake cable routing figured and priced out, we will total up the cost of the parts before we do a run.

So far I have 4 contacts that want a setup. I will post the pics and prices then give it a few days to see how many we need to run.

Rad
Old 03-06-2009, 01:05 PM   #100
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!

Alright. So, I'm super stoked about my new suspension and it works great.

This is now what I'm working on:

All new body panels.
New seat.
New fairing.
Another 2.6 gallons of fuel under the rear of the seat.
New air box.
New paint scheme.
New rear Ohlin's long travel (300mm) shock.

Let me know what everyone thinks, including some ideas if you have any.

Old 03-08-2009, 07:37 PM   #101
JDRadman
Moto Head

Prototype Completed

It is real!
We have completed the prototype and have the whole set up mocked up on the bike and worked and looked perfect.

We have some pictures that we hope to have posted soon. We will work up pricing and get that information out to everyone early this week.

It is going to be 3 pieces:
  1. Hanger
  2. Axle spacer and nut
  3. Brake line
I have a complete writeup available for any one that wants one.

If you have contacted me and said you want a set-up I will PM you in the next few days...

Stay tuned for pictures...

Rad
Old 03-08-2009, 09:28 PM   #102
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRadman
It is real!
We have completed the prototype and have the whole set up mocked up on the bike and worked and looked perfect.

We have some pictures that we hope to have posted soon. We will work up pricing and get that information out to everyone early this week.

1. Hanger
  2. Axle spacer and nut
  3. Brake line

If you have contacted me and said you want a set-up I will PM you in the next few days...

Rad
No brake line for me, just 1 and 2.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:23 PM   #103
Aries71
Adventure seeker

Oddometer: 29
Quote:
It is real!

1. Hanger
  2. Axle spacer and nut
  3. Brake line

Rad

Can't wait to see the final product, I'm still interested for sure. I may or may not go for the brake line, since I have ABS, I don't know if it'll fit, may be too long.
Aries71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 03:34 AM   #104
Brute
Melbourne , outer east .

Oddometer: 1,025
Axle spacer & nut only . Which axle do you use , Yamaha or BMW ?
Brute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 06:08 AM   #105
JDRadman
Moto Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brute
Axle spacer & nut only . Which axle do you use , Yamaha or BMW ?
I am building a complete new axle and nut out of stainless.. It is sort of a hybrid of the the two and needs to take into account the incompatible BMW wheel bearings (smaller) with the Yamaha fork end (larger).

So it is a one-off two piece unit but works well.

Rad

JDRadman screwed with this post 03-10-2009 at 06:11 AM Reason: typo