bacon
KZ5TLP

Oddometer: 615
[quote=JDRadman]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aries71
The setup looks great RAD!!

Aries,

Could we get by with only making the line from the caliper to the distribution block?

I need some pictures to really understand the set up. I will check the manual later too...

Rad
Rad,
If you can wait until I get home Tuesday from offshore I will send you some pictures.

Tim

For all that motorcycling is, one of it's greatest gifts is the ability to take us to places where that quote is the first things that came to my mind.
bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 01:56 PM   #122
JDRadman
Moto Head

Oddometer: 195
[quote=bacon]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRadman
Rad,
If you can wait until I get home Tuesday from offshore I will send you some pictures.

Tim
No problem...send it when you can and I will see what we can do

Rad
JDRadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 09:22 PM   #123
mattomoto
2 wheels rule

Oddometer: 1,073
Can't wait to see what ya got cookin'. Looks sweet so far.

Matto

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmybikemodelname
Old 03-16-2009, 12:11 AM   #124
mcgiggle
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
Guys, any ideas about which USD fork setup would work with a non Dakar GS, love this set up but the wife has the lower GS that i'm in the middle of moding, got the Ohlins for the rear and Excel 21 front and 18 rear on order.

Cheers
Pete

http://www.facebook.com/curryhunt
mcgiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 12:28 AM   #125
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,099
Stock the GS & Dakar forks are the same lowers & longer uppers to give the increased travel

If you are fitting ohlins + 18" rear & & 21" front then the same setup as above would be the way to do it

To reduce seat height move forks up the steering head & allow for more sag at the rear
WayneC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 08:11 PM   #126
JDRadman
Moto Head

Oddometer: 195
They are IN

I received the box on the porch from the friendly UPS guy when I got home from a business trip this evening. I just finished opening the box and examining parts this a few moments ago.

It looks great...I mean really great stuff. The axle is a piece of art all by its self and the hanger...well we have seen the hanger and it looks great too. My hat is off to my buddy Peter for some excellent work.

I will button it all up and have a ride report back early next week and ship out what I have as soon as I confirm they fit as designed.

More later

Rad
JDRadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 04:57 AM   #127
komatias
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgiggle
Guys, any ideas about which USD fork setup would work with a non Dakar GS, love this set up but the wife has the lower GS that i'm in the middle of moding, got the Ohlins for the rear and Excel 21 front and 18 rear on order.

Cheers
Pete
Have a look at supermoto stuff. The sprig rates might need to be changed but the forks tend to be shorter.
komatias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 08:48 AM   #128
Aries71
Adventure seeker

Oddometer: 29
Quote:
Aries71

Why not take a pic of the ABS joining point at the steering head, that would make it easier to understand & estimate length & spec the banjo fitting

Internet was down for a few days, here's some pics:

Stock front end with brake line routing up the back of the fork to steering head

ABS distribution block looking down from top left of bike with forks turned to the right.

Close up of distribution block. Lower banjo from caliper brake line (notice the 45 deg bend). Top banjo goes to handlebars.

Close up again but with forks straightened. Notice that the lower banjo needs the 45 deg bend to clear lower triple.

Quote:
Aries,

Could we get by with only making the line from the caliper to the distribution block?

I need some pictures to really understand the set up. I will check the manual later too...

Rad

Answer is yes; it's the only brake line that matters for this mod.

RAD, don't feel obligated to make one up, I would be just as happy with the axle and caliper hanger. The brake line would be a great bonus for sure though.
Aries71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 12:04 PM   #129
mattomoto
2 wheels rule

Oddometer: 1,073
yeah just installed my Yamie fork (sans Rads axle/spacers/bracket) and it is sweet! A little trimming still to do to the horrible stock sub frame (what a peice of S**t that is) and it is a go. Now I have to work on the lighting/dash and get rid of that crappy sub frame. No wonder when my bike takes a dirt nap the head light is out of alignment Oh well, at least I can bend it back with my hands...

Hey Notmy..., what kinda sag are you running with your fork? Rad, I hope those parts work out and you can ship soon. They sure are purdy in the pics.

Matto
Old 03-20-2009, 03:16 PM   #130
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!

Oddometer: 7,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattomoto
yeah just installed my Yamie fork (sans Rads axle/spacers/bracket) and it is sweet! A little trimming still to do to the horrible stock sub frame (what a peice of S**t that is) and it is a go. Now I have to work on the lighting/dash and get rid of that crappy sub frame. No wonder when my bike takes a dirt nap the head light is out of alignment Oh well, at least I can bend it back with my hands...

Hey Notmy..., what kinda sag are you running with your fork? Rad, I hope those parts work out and you can ship soon. They sure are purdy in the pics.

Matto
1 1/4"
notmybikemodelname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 03:39 AM   #131
Brute
Melbourne , outer east .

Oddometer: 1,023
A few questions

When you fit the Yamaha triple clamps do you use the yamaha bearings in the BMW shells ? I`ve picked up some 02 yz 426 forks & I`m wondering what oil weight , amount , & oil height they have standard .
Wondering also if I`ll be able to get away with the standard .49 springs . Is anyone running the standard springs ?
Brute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 10:19 AM   #132
notmybikemodelname
KOTW is a myth!

Oddometer: 7,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brute
When you fit the Yamaha triple clamps do you use the yamaha bearings in the BMW shells ? I`ve picked up some 02 yz 426 forks & I`m wondering what oil weight , amount , & oil height they have standard .
Wondering also if I`ll be able to get away with the standard .49 springs . Is anyone running the standard springs ?
I used all of the stock components for mounting and only had to add a 1/4" shim under triple clamp. I changed my springs to .52's which is exactly what is specified by Racetech for a 290lb rider . I don't actually weigh 290, but the way I figured it was to decide what spring would be used for a 190lb rider (me) and 100lbs of extra bike, the difference between my bike at 338lbs and a 400/426/450 with a full tank. About 100lbs.

I got my springs from Tootech for $95.
notmybikemodelname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 05:04 PM   #133
WayneC1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,099
Ignition Lock

For those looking for a solution to the ignition lock problem

Buried in the aftermarket fork FAQ at F650.com is the following

"I installed a custom triple clamp on my Dakar. Replaces the stock set perfectly, switches, bar height, ignition, fork lock, etc"

Made by Emig Racing, seems Garry over there owns or once owned a Dakar & made up replacement triples for his own machine

This means Emig will have it all on CAD & should be able to add the GS ignition lock to any of the upper triples they produce

It will come down to the price, someone emailed Emig & 3-4 week lead time & they have choice of solid or rubber bar mounts & fat or 7/8 fittings as well as height variations

WayneC1 screwed with this post 03-22-2009 at 05:21 PM Reason: add image
WayneC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 03:49 AM   #134
Brute
Melbourne , outer east .

Oddometer: 1,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by notmybikemodelname
I used all of the stock components for mounting and only had to add a 1/4" shim under triple clamp. I changed my springs to .52's which is exactly what is specified by Racetech for a 290lb rider . I don't actually weigh 290, but the way I figured it was to decide what spring would be used for a 190lb rider (me) and 100lbs of extra bike, the difference between my bike at 338lbs and a 400/426/450 with a full tank. About 100lbs.

I got my springs from Tootech for $95.
Sounds good ( apart from having to buy another set of springs ) So if I buy a new set of BMW head stem bearings they`ll all fit by adding a 1/4 inch washer under the top clamp to get tension on the bearings .
Brute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 04:01 AM   #135
johno
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,912
The BMW bearings wont fit. You need the yamaha bearings.
The Yamaha bearing cups will fit in the BMW head stem.