Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2014, 09:24 AM   #1
ubermick OP
the n00biest

Oddometer: 160
Looking for a used F650GS Twin... overpriced?

Quick question for folks... been sniffing around for a used F650GS as a first bike, and on the advice of many here, am looking for a twin. Of course, there seemed to be plenty available a month or two ago, but now that I'm more or less in a position to buy, they've all dried up, apart from the ones that look like they've been ridden hard and put away wet, or seem to be seriously overpriced. (No way am I paying $1,500 under MSRP for a used bike just because it has a skid guard!)

Only one currently available in my area (am focusing on the SF Bay Area, since am nowhere near confident enough in my skills to do a fly and ride yet) is this one, wanted to see what you folks thought about the price. At first thought it was just someone else asking WAY too much for their farkles, but there are a LOT of farkles...

2009 F650GS with 20,500 miles
Vario side cases
ABS/heated grips/trip computer
Hand guards
Beak guard
Skid plate
Engine guard
Sargent seat
Touring windshield
LED headlights
and an extended service contract to September 2015.

So to me, the $8,000 asking price is high - I'm figuring $5,700 for the bike given the miles on it, especially since one just sold (in red too... gah, I wanted red!) for that with 14k miles. The service contract is a nice bonus though, and I know the Vario cases are spendy. The rest though? Would $7k be a more reasonable price for this?
ubermick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 10:43 AM   #2
Rgconner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,250
You are not going to get the best prices while it is still riding season.

Look for one in about 3 months when the weather is less optimal.
Old 08-26-2014, 11:01 AM   #3
Loutre
Cosmopolitan Adv

Oddometer: 3,473
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubermick View Post

Vario side cases
Hand guards
Beak guard
Skid plate
Engine guard
Sargent seat
Touring windshield
LED headlights

So to me, the $8,000 asking price is high - I'm figuring $5,700 for the bike given the miles on it, especially since one just sold (in red too... gah, I wanted red!) for that with 14k miles.
You still can paint the fairing, really don't see the problem there and 5700$ for a twin? well keep waiting then. ask him if he leaves it for 7k but 20k miles is nothing.
You can be imitated but not replaced. You're such a special blend the recipe is guarded like KFC's 11 herbs and spices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaver View Post

Loutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 11:09 AM   #4
ubermick OP
the n00biest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgconner View Post
You are not going to get the best prices while it is still riding season.

Look for one in about 3 months when the weather is less optimal.
Haha, yeah - problem with that is living in Northern California - the weather is ALWAYS optimal!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loutre View Post
You still can paint the fairing, really don't see the problem there and 5700$ for a twin? well keep waiting then. ask him if he leaves it for 7k but 20k miles is nothing.
Nah, not that pushed about colours, to be honest. Blue is fine. Only one I have a personal distaste for is silver for some reason, but even then it doesn't matter that much to me.

As to the $5,700, that was sort of what I was thinking per the whole NADA/KBB thing, which is (a little more than) halfway between trade in and retail. Few days ago, there was a 2009 that was listed for $6k but didn't have the cash on hand in time to snag it, and last month there was a 2010 with 4k on it, with comparable farkles to this one, that sold for $6,700. (Again, wasn't able to pounce, my wife is being... uncooperative. Currently have $5k in hand, but she's refusing to let me touch savings or take out any sort of financing, since she's sure that me getting a bike will result in my immediate death, widowing her and condemning her to raise our daughter on her own.)

Ironically, both of those bikes sat for a while on CL too.
Old 08-26-2014, 02:03 PM   #5
Piki42
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 111
I was looking at a 2009 for around that price up here and was advised that it was priced a bit high.

You can forget about the KBB price. You may find a twin around that rate if you look really hard and are willing to travel and wait but if you want a bike ASAP you have to be very lucky to get a deal.

In my books, the extended service is the most important item on your list. The 2009 models have had a few problems but these should have been fixed on your bike. Regardless, it doesn't hurt to have the additional coverage.

The other farkles - yes, they're good to have and expensive to buy new but you'd need to test the bike to make sure that the windshield and seat are right for you.

You're lucky that you enjoy good weather year round so there's really no rush to squeeze in a few months riding. I'd settle for $7,000 - $7,500 if the bike has a good service record.

edit - you seem to be in a softer market given the two other prices you quoted. I'd be wary of a 2010 with only 4,000 miles on it though. It may have been in tip top condition but I'd personally rather buy a bike that has seen constant use over time.
Piki42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 03:02 PM   #6
ubermick OP
the n00biest

Yeah, there are definitely deals to be had around Northern California in the bike market, I think the weather combined with the riding (drooling at the prospect of shooting up and down Hwy 1 on the weekends, anytime I want!) means that there's a lot of bikes on the road. I know when I took my BRC, they were booked two months in advance.

I think farkles are always going to be an issue. That's why I'm kicking myself for missing out on the one for $6,000. No farkles whatsoever, so could add what was right for me, as I needed them. This one, yeah there's a lot of extra cash spent on the goodies, but the majority of them are ones that mean nothing to me - although can understand why they would to the seller.

From speaking to a few folks around here, I've been told (consistently) about the split the difference between trade in and retail for the bike thing (up and down from there based on condition, mileage, and how bad I want it), and to go about 33% of new cost on the farkles. He's got about $3,000 worth of addons, which is why I was thinking $7,000 would be a much more reasonable asking price. (That bike's been sitting for a month now, and was originally $8,500, so might come down again)
Old 08-26-2014, 04:26 PM   #7
Reaver
Outta Here

Oddometer: 2,867
It looks like a grand in farkles if you were to buy them used. Mileage is nothing.

Does it have Tire Pressure Monitoring?

If you really want red I have a full set of panels for the 650. I wanted to keep them but the point is, buy the good deal and then consider trading colours if it's an issue.

We will be listing our (Canadian) red 650 with 3 piece varios, Hyperpro suspension and also what that blue one has. Similar mileage and I'll start at $7500 and go from there. After Labour Day things start to wane as do prices here.

Your going to miss a few but then you'll realize a good deal when it comes. Be ready to pounce!

Leaving it all behind 2014

Reaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 05:00 PM   #8
ubermick OP
the n00biest

Quote:
It looks like a grand in farkles if you were to buy them used. Mileage is nothing.

Does it have Tire Pressure Monitoring?
Does indeed have tire pressure monitoring, and the factory alarm as well. So suppose that adds a wee bit. Still tho, the asking price for that has me climbing the "ladder of pointlessness." (in otherwords "Well, why spend $8,000 on a 2009, for a little bit more I can get a 2013 F700. Well, why spend $9000 on a used F700 when I can get a NEW one for just a little bit more?" etc. etc.)

I don't REALLY want red - it's a Liverpool thing, I suppose, but genuinely not that pushed. I prefer it over the other colours (would prefer black, actually) but not to the point where I'd say "Wow, $5,000 for a 2011?!?! Although... it's silver so I'll pass." Harping about the red because... well, it was RIGHT THERE up until this past weekend, and was going to attempt to pull the trigger on it this weekend.

Main problem I have, think I mentioned this elsewhere, is that my budget is limited because of spousal interference, and I'm also on a deadline to get a bike. Have our first kid coming in January, and as time ticks away, the window is closing. If the garage is still empty by Thanksgiving, I know - I KNOW - SWMBO will call time, and demand my bike fund will mysteriously become absorbed by the baby fund.

It's a shame my skill level is still nil. I've seen quite a few that were good deals I could do a fly and ride on, but just don't have the ability to trust myself riding cross country solo. (Hell, if it wasn't for the aforementioned spousal interference, I'd be waiting until next spring for an F650, and content myself with building skills on a smaller dropper until then. Double hell, if it wasn't for the aforementioned spouse, I'd have been riding for the past 10 years!)
Old 08-26-2014, 06:12 PM   #9
Reaver
Outta Here

Oddometer: 2,867
I see.

Remind me not to tell you why we're selling the wife's spare bike then........

Leaving it all behind 2014

Reaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 06:16 PM   #10
Rgconner
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,250
Take a look at the Sacramento market, which is closer to the type of riding the F700 was made for and there is nothing used right now.

Randy at A&S pointed out there is two reasons to buy one:

1. you really need a low seat.
2. "Exit" bike for older riders that want a low and light bike.

Either way, the used market is not very big, and so they demand a higher value.
Old 08-26-2014, 06:19 PM   #11
mustardfj40
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
A friend recently bough a blue 2009 F650GS for around $6300 with less 1,000 miles on the clock. He got it from SF craigslist. I looked at it and thought it was a killer deal. As summer is ending there will be more deal like this out there.
mustardfj40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 06:38 PM   #12
ubermick OP
the n00biest

Quote:
I see.

Remind me not to tell you why we're selling the wife's spare bike then........

Haha. But point being, she's not pissing on YOUR chips about it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustardfj40 View Post
A friend recently bough a blue 2009 F650GS for around $6300 with less 1,000 miles on the clock. He got it from SF craigslist. I looked at it and thought it was a killer deal. As summer is ending there will be more deal like this out there.
Yep. I've seen them here and there and I think the market entirely depends on what I want. When I first started looking at F650s, I was thinking a single since I figured the twin would be a bit much for a new rider. And when I looked, there were about a dozen F650s in the Bay Area, and all of them were either Dakars (too big for me) or twins. As soon as I made the decision to go with a twin, they more or less dried up (apart from the spendier ones, for obvious reasons), and now there are plenty of singles! (and Dakars, of course)
Old 08-28-2014, 01:41 PM   #13
indio
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubermick View Post
Quick question for folks... been sniffing around for a used F650GS as a first bike, and on the advice of many here, am looking for a twin. Of course, there seemed to be plenty available a month or two ago, but now that I'm more or less in a position to buy, they've all dried up, apart from the ones that look like they've been ridden hard and put away wet, or seem to be seriously overpriced. (No way am I paying $1,500 under MSRP for a used bike just because it has a skid guard!)

Only one currently available in my area (am focusing on the SF Bay Area, since am nowhere near confident enough in my skills to do a fly and ride yet) is this one, wanted to see what you folks thought about the price. At first thought it was just someone else asking WAY too much for their farkles, but there are a LOT of farkles...

Vario side cases
Hand guards
Beak guard
Skid plate
Engine guard
Sargent seat
Touring windshield
LED headlights

So to me, the $8,000 asking price is high - I'm figuring $5,700 for the bike given the miles on it, especially since one just sold (in red too... gah, I wanted red!) for that with 14k miles. The service contract is a nice bonus though, and I know the Vario cases are spendy. The rest though? Would $7k be a more reasonable price for this?
I bought a 2009 with about 10K miles on it with Vario side cases & windshield as the only extras for $6400 couple of years ago before selling it. Negotiate with seller and see what the floor is & then go from there.
indio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 04:34 PM   #14
ubermick OP
the n00biest

Quote:
Originally Posted by indio View Post
I bought a 2009 with about 10K miles on it with Vario side cases & windshield as the only extras for $6400 couple of years ago before selling it. Negotiate with seller and see what the floor is & then go from there.
Ugh... so inconsiderate. Why didn't you hang onto it so I could have snagged it from you?!?! Typical...

Seriously tho, the deals are out there. Like I said, seen two in the past couple of months around here priced reasonably (to me.) And even now, not local but elsewhere:

http://memphis.craigslist.org/mcy/4610167332.html
http://westslope.craigslist.org/mcy/4604734747.html

ubermick screwed with this post 08-28-2014 at 05:03 PM
Old 08-31-2014, 11:46 AM   #15
jpr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 308
Keep looking. I would not drop 8k on a 650 with 20k miles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
'02 Kawasaki KX250 (Sold)
jpr is offline   Reply With Quote