Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2008, 05:39 AM   #16
FastEddieB
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 638
FWIW, I installed a push/pull switch I had laying around, routing the wires to the "glovebox":

On my 2005 950, I've been running regular for well over a year, with the wires "disconnected" and no issues at all.

Of course, I'm carbureted. I don't notice and real change in power, performance, idle or smoothness. I'm just doing it to save money on gas, and in the twisties and offroad the power is still more than andequate.

But That's Just Me™!
FastEddieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 10:44 AM   #17
erappaport
pray for rain

Oddometer: 257
Question Octane Ratings?

Anybody know if the octane rating system referred to in the KTM manual is the same as we use in the US, or is it a european standard? The book recommends disconnecting the wires when using fuel below 95 "ROZ". I don't recall seeing that acronym in the states, nor have I seen pump fuel above 93, except at an airport.
erappaport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 11:01 AM   #18
jsrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by erappaport
Anybody know if the octane rating system referred to in the KTM manual is the same as we use in the US, or is it a european standard? The book recommends disconnecting the wires when using fuel below 95 "ROZ". I don't recall seeing that acronym in the states, nor have I seen pump fuel above 93, except at an airport.
It's European. Their 95 is approximately equivalent to our 91.
jsrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 08:18 PM   #19
dezracer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 640
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenws
After putting 2100 miles on my new 2007 990 Adventure (all of them with 91-93 octane), I decided to put some 89 octane fuel in the tank and try the low octane ignition curve. After disconnecting the wires under the seat, I started up the bike. Right away, I noticed the idle rpm dropped from it's normal steady 1500rpm to a variable 1200 to 1300rpm. After about five minutes of idling, the FI light came on and indicated a 18 blink code (lambda probe for front cylinder). I then shut down the engine and reconnected the ignition curve wires. Upon restarting, everything was back to normal.

Has anyone else experienced this? One of the reasons I bought the bike was because of it's ability to adapt to various octane levels. In rural Iowa, most gas stations don't offer premium 91 to 93 octane gas - 89 octane with 10% ethanol is everywhere though

Any thoughts on what might be happening? I'd really like to be able to use the 89 octane fuel.

Thank you.
Its normal. MOST 990s throw the code when the wires are disconnected.

Suspension by Super Plush
Rekluse Pro Auto Clutch
WINGS N.O.S Exhaust
Euro Headlight with PIAA bulbs
KTM Hard Parts Radiator Cover
CJ Racer Clear Spoke Clutch Cover
Hilslamer Long Pegs
GPR Stabilizer
DH Racing tripleclamps
'300' Throttle Cam
16t CS Sprocket
Mefo "Super Explorers"
Ram Mount Garmin 76c
PABIKER sidestand relocaton kit.
2007 KTM 300XC (long live lightweight 2-strokes)

Las Vegas, NV and the Great Mojave Desert
dezracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 04:19 PM   #20
turkish
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,140
My bike is a '03 950 and I never needed to use the low octane mode in the states. However, there's some really punky fuel down here in south america. My bike detonates/pings with the wires connected with Bolivian fuel which is 85 octane.

I do notice less power and less fuel efficiency, but I'm not sure whether that's due to the "switch", the punky fuel or the altitude.
turkish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 07:08 PM   #21
Trail Flyer
Road ""closed""?

Oddometer: 121
I run my '04 950 with the low octane leads disconnected almost all of the time and usually run midgrade gas (in CA, I think it's around 89 octane). I tried running with the leads connected and used premium but never noticed ANY change whatsoever in performance or fuel economy (I always get about 140 miles before the reserve light comes on- which is crappy). I've never heard any pinging. Even with the leads disconnected I have no problem pulling wheelies in 2nd and sometimes 3rd gears, and with all the power I want I see no reason to run the better fuel.
Trail Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 10:00 PM   #22
abruzzi
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 771
Quote:
Originally Posted by erappaport
Wikipedia has a good explanation of octanes. THere are two different typs of measurements RON and MON (I'm assuming ROZ is the same as RON.) USA uses the average of the two. You've probably noticed that pumps mention (R+M)/2. RON 95 genrally equates to 90 (R+M)/2.

Geof
Old 04-14-2009, 11:57 PM   #23
tahoeacr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,209
While on the dyno today I decided to unplug and see what we got. Loss of a couple HP below about 6k but peak HP was not that far off. The VERY SCARRY part was it leaned out the A/F readings. Way out.
tahoeacr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 10:13 AM   #24
Vicks
I love sand !!!

Oddometer: 2,959
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahoeacr
While on the dyno today I decided to unplug and see what we got. Loss of a couple HP below about 6k but peak HP was not that far off. The VERY SCARRY part was it leaned out the A/F readings. Way out.
does that mean that with the low octane plug disconnected, the engine runs hotter ?
No beautiful body soft and warm to the touch but, i have a very small desire
Give me a dark... long... winding road, three gears to go and my Hellas on fire !!
Vicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 05:11 PM   #25
Bok Befok
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenws
After putting 2100 miles on my new 2007 990 Adventure (all of them with 91-93 octane), I decided to put some 89 octane fuel in the tank and try the low octane ignition curve. After disconnecting the wires under the seat, I started up the bike. Right away, I noticed the idle rpm dropped from it's normal steady 1500rpm to a variable 1200 to 1300rpm. After about five minutes of idling, the FI light came on and indicated a 18 blink code (lambda probe for front cylinder). I then shut down the engine and reconnected the ignition curve wires. Upon restarting, everything was back to normal.

Has anyone else experienced this? One of the reasons I bought the bike was because of it's ability to adapt to various octane levels. In rural Iowa, most gas stations don't offer premium 91 to 93 octane gas - 89 octane with 10% ethanol is everywhere though

Any thoughts on what might be happening? I'd really like to be able to use the 89 octane fuel.

Thank you.
hey neighbour, ive been wondering how good the 10% ethanol is in the fuel. would there be any problems if using the fuel with ethanol?
Bok Befok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 06:21 PM   #26
Helmet Head
Have bike, will travel...

Oddometer: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wacky Joe
hey neighbour, ive been wondering how good the 10% ethanol is in the fuel. would there be any problems if using the fuel with ethanol?
A little off-topic, as 'bad gas' and octane have nothing to do with each other, despite what oil companies would like you to think. That is, it's perfectly possible to have excellent quality low-octane fuel and total crap high-octane fuel. Octane is simply a measure of the temperature at which the fuel spontaneously combusts; it has nothing to do with energy contained in the fuel or how clean the fuel is.

But, since you ask... ethanol is total shit IMO. It's highly hydrophilic, so it attracts water at a much faster rate than pure gasoline. It has much more oxygen than gasoline, so it runs hotter. It also has less energy than gasoline (even though it is higher octane - showing that not only do octane and energy have nothing to do with each other, but they can actually have an inverse relationship in some cases), so you get lower mileage with it. It doesn't burn as cleanly, so it makes many engines run rough. I don't want to turn this into a political argument, but it's been pretty well proven that ethanol is being used purely to support the US corn industry and not because it has any advantage as a fuel. Even in terms of environmental impact, its effect is null on emissions, and a loss in terms of production. Again, it's shit. Since becoming universal here in New England, all of my vehicles have run worse and gotten lower MPG. I know for a fact it was the cause of surging and stalling on my BMW F650GS, and I suspect it is the cause of those symptoms in many EFI bikes.

Ethanol!

Here's what I think of Congress, the EPA, etc. for letting this crap into our fuel supply...
"Today I accidentally stepped on a snail on the sidewalk in front of our house. And I thought, I too am like that snail. I build a defensive wall around myself, a "shell" if you will. But my shell isn't made out of a hard, protective substance. Mine is made out of tinfoil and paper bags."
Helmet Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 06:32 PM   #27
Bok Befok
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmet Head
A little off-topic, as 'bad gas' and octane have nothing to do with each other, despite what oil companies would like you to think. That is, it's perfectly possible to have excellent quality low-octane fuel and total crap high-octane fuel. Octane is simply a measure of the temperature at which the fuel spontaneously combusts; it has nothing to do with energy contained in the fuel or how clean the fuel is.

But, since you ask... ethanol is total shit IMO. It's highly hydrophilic, so it attracts water at a much faster rate than pure gasoline. It has much more oxygen than gasoline, so it runs hotter. It also has less energy than gasoline (even though it is higher octane - showing that not only do octane and energy have nothing to do with each other, but they can actually have an inverse relationship in some cases), so you get lower mileage with it. It doesn't burn as cleanly, so it makes many engines run rough. I don't want to turn this into a political argument, but it's been pretty well proven that ethanol is being used purely to support the US corn industry and not because it has any advantage as a fuel. Even in terms of environmental impact, its effect is null on emissions, and a loss in terms of production. Again, it's shit. Since becoming universal here in New England, all of my vehicles have run worse and gotten lower MPG. I know for a fact it was the cause of surging and stalling on my BMW F650GS, and I suspect it is the cause of those symptoms in many EFI bikes.

Ethanol!

Here's what I think of Congress, the EPA, etc. for letting this crap into our fuel supply...
Thats exactly wut i wanted to know, thanks mate
Bok Befok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 03:43 PM   #28
PHACTORYPHIL
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
So what's the verdict? I' am hearing mixed reviews.. I've run all 3 American octanes from sea level to 10,000 ft without any problems and without activating the low octane ignition curve. I'm thinking about installing a switch just incase I get some really bad fuel or am I just wasting my time?
'02 F650GS DAKAR
'04 CBR1000RR
'05 RM 250
'04 KTM 950 ADV
'99 Carrera 996
PHACTORYPHIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2009, 07:21 PM   #29
tahoeacr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHACTORYPHIL
So what's the verdict? I' am hearing mixed reviews.. I've run all 3 American octanes from sea level to 10,000 ft without any problems and without activating the low octane ignition curve. I'm thinking about installing a switch just incase I get some really bad fuel or am I just wasting my time?
Don't think you have to sweat it. Yesterday I got stuck out in the desert away from any real gas stations. The only one had only 87 octane. I put 1.5 gallons in to get me back. My knock sensor didn't show any more knocks than with 91. I did not disconnect the octane switch. This was at about 4,700'.
tahoeacr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 01:52 PM   #30
lakecntyrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by dezracer
Its normal. MOST 990s throw the code when the wires are disconnected.
This happened to me on a trip last month after switching to low octane, so searched on the site to see if anyone else encountered this. What does it mean that it's "normal"? Does anyone know why it is raised?
11 RR: Alaska

lakecntyrider screwed with this post 09-13-2010 at 02:02 PM
lakecntyrider is offline   Reply With Quote