Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2010, 06:59 PM   #31
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 5,153
Its normal because everyone (I think everyone) will get those codes that run the low octane curve on a 990.

My biggest issue with low octane curve is that when at high elevation, over 10,000 feet, once the engine warms up it will settle into a 1000 rpm idle and can be very difficult to start warm without adding a little throttle.

I am currently in Bolivia and have been running the low octane curve since Colombia.

Here in Bolivia at 14,000 to 16,000 feet, the bike will not hot start unless I add throttle.

It would be interesting to see what tahoeacr thinks about running the low octane map. What is worse? The lean condition of the low octane curve, or the detonation of the standard curve?

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 02:32 AM   #32
ktm_pilot
n00b

Oddometer: 1
I am a newbie to both adventure motorcycling and AdvRider. I have read through this thread and have seen several posts over several years on 950's and 990's, so just want to see if I understand correctly for my specific bike:

I live in the interior of South Africa (+/- 4,500' elevation and above) and we get mostly unleaded 93 RON fuel, while in the bigger cities but less common in smaller towns 95 RON is also available. The owner's manual of my 2011 990 Adventure says however that only 95 RON (I believe the USA equivalent is 91 PON) can be used, and if less octane than that is used the under-seat connector must be disconnected "for one tank only". This can be a problem riding in rural areas around here.

So, my questions are therefore:
  • If I want to fuel with 93 RON fuel can I ignore the user's manual and do so without disconnecting the ignition curve connector, or must I take it seriously to avoid engine damage?
  • What does "for one tank only" in the manual mean - is this "one tank only in the entire life of the bike" or is it "one tank only before again returning to 95 RON fuel"? Can I then mix 95 and 93 fuel, or must the tank be drained of 93 fuel before 95 fuel is again added?
Thanks for your answers, ride safely.
ktm_pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:48 AM   #33
BroodRooster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
By the way, I have a 2003 adventure with carbs, but I cant find an ignition curve cable or anything under the seat. Is this feature only on the 990's?
BroodRooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 07:58 AM   #34
Alejo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
I can´t explain why (mechanically speaking) but it is normal, I use the mode (disconnected) to ride technical stuff since the bike has less power and every time I disconnect the wire the FI code starts to blink blink but if you ride it for a while it goes away.

No problems at all after re-connected the wire.

Alejo From Costa Rica Centro America
Alejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:00 AM   #35
990adv
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
I have Lexx pipes and the R map on my 2010 990 and have had some weird ping every now and then along with the jerky throttle. The bike runs like a beast with wide open throttle. I cant even ease through my neiborhood without holding my hand on the side of the throttle. So While I was doing some maintenance I decide to unplug the curve connector and try it. I have never seen anyplace that sells 95 octance gas around me anyway. I notice right off that the jerky throttle was completely gone and the drivability was vastly improved, like a completely different bike. I didnt notice any real power loss and no error lights. I will try and put some more miles on and see what happens but for right nowIi am very happy with the change.
990adv is offline   Reply With Quote