Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2004, 11:00 PM   #1
twowheels OP
Leaving Children behind

Oddometer: 200
Help! Very very small tire leak fixes???

I noticed a heaviness in steering and realized I had about 10 lb of pressure in the front tire. After diagnosis, I found that I had two needle sized punctures in the tire, at opposite ends of the tire. I"m at a loss as to what to do. Bike is r100gspd. Front tire is almost brand new (less than 500 miles)

1 ) SLIME? --never used it on a street tire, is it bad to do?

2) I could put a tube in it, but I don't think that's a good fix on a tubeless rim/tire setup. Any suggestions are more than welcome!

3) I could hole out the holes and put plugs in, but that would be making a small hole into a big hole.

4)????????
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 11:12 PM   #2
Frank Warner
Traveller

Oddometer: 6,593
1 ) SLIME? --never used it on a street tire, is it bad to do?

I don't like it .. next time you (or someone else) takes the tyre off they have to deal with this crap..

2) I could put a tube in it, but I don't think that's a good fix on a tubeless rim/tire setup.
The tube will make the tyre run hotter.. redcing it's speed rating. But this will fix your problem, and is usefull if you get a big flat spot in the rim, or a cut in the tyre that is too big to patch. I carry a tube for this reason.

3) I could hole out the holes and put plugs in, but that would be making a small hole into a big hole.
Yep. And you'd need to be very accurate in geting the big hole over the centre of the smaller hole.

4)????????
An old style patch on the inside of the tyre. Same patches as used on tubes .. use a bicycle one from walmart! You will need to dismount one side of the tyre and clean the inside of the tyre. But it will work. This is what I'd do. You only need to seal it.

Ever heard of 'case patches'? Used on truck tyres .. super heavey duty patches ment for tyre cases that have been damaged.
Frank Warner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2004, 11:21 PM   #3
creeper
Still alive...

Oddometer: 10,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank
4)????????
An old style patch on the inside of the tyre. Same patches as used on tubes .. use a bicycle one from walmart! You will need to dismount one side of the tyre and clean the inside of the tyre. But it will work. This is what I'd do. You only need to seal it.
Frank has got it nailed (get it... nailed ) . Works very well. Can't stress enough the importance of the cleaning part ... clean and slightly roughed surface for good adhesion of the patch.
Poking bigger holes in the tire is bad; you can damage the belt cords and make it a dangerous proposition to use the tire at all.

Creep
Old 04-23-2004, 08:41 AM   #4
Jim Bud
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,439
May have to re-balance the tire

depending on the size and location of the patches, you may have to re-balance the tires for good performance....
Jim Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2004, 10:19 AM   #5
bmwmick
Old and Slow....Sorta

Oddometer: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Warner
[i]

4)????????

I agree with Frank!! BUTT, I'd opt for a real tire patch from your local auto supply store. You WILL need to re-balance the tire/wheel asm when you are done.

Mick

"don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just god when he's drunk"
-Tom Waits, Heartattack and Vine
bmwmick is offline   Reply With Quote