User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2009, 01:43 PM   #1
ZappBranigan OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
Ghosts of the High Plains

I don't know if it's considered kosher to post a link in lieu of an actual trip report but it doesn't make sense to post the same thing in two different places, so here's an account of a recent trip I took through the High Plains of Eastern Colorado on my Scrambler:

http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...ad.php?t=25705
ZappBranigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 03:31 PM   #2
Scottysix9
Shhh...

Oddometer: 919
Nicely done. As a kid, we used to drive around, looking for the silos. They were legendary- no one had been there, but everyone knew someone that had. My grandfather was an electrician that wired the ones to the east of Colorado Springs in the early 60's.

If they can't hear you, they won't know you're there.
Scottysix9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 05:06 PM   #3
NAVIGATOR
Wanderer

Oddometer: 1,697
Beautiful vistas, sad about all those ghost towns, amazing that you got to see that silo real close, Thank´s
NAVIGATOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 06:00 PM   #4
sTE610vE
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,961
Very interesting, great report, I have always been interested in these abandoned facilities too. There are several around the Wichita Ks area
Here's on of my all time favorite threads on advrider named
Colorado Silo ride, looks like a fun adventure but who knows what toxic stuff may have been left behind, asbestos is a pretty good bet I would think, among others.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121822

Cagiva Gran Canyon

sTE610vE screwed with this post 04-05-2009 at 09:10 PM
sTE610vE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 08:43 PM   #5
Puddleglum
Precious Snowflake

Oddometer: 390
I really enjoyed reading your report. I have read a few reports over the years that involved abandoned missile silos and I always enjoy those since these places fascinate me too. It's too bad that so many are not accessible to the public or are being left to rot. It seems to me that these sites constitute a rather significant piece of the modern history of this country.

Well done and thank you.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:57 AM   #6
ZappBranigan OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 467
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddleglum
It's too bad that so many are not accessible to the public or are being left to rot. It seems to me that these sites constitute a rather significant piece of the modern history of this country.
I agree with you 1000%. Unfortunately people often don't think about the historical significance of things until it's too late. These silos were built in haste, operated in haste, and abandoned in haste.

The Historic Preservation movement started in the late 1960's. What this means is that the sites abandoned after this time have been pretty well documented. There is a deactivated Titan II silo south of Tucson, AZ, that has been turned into a museum (The Titan Missile Museum) and a deactivated Minuteman III site near Rapid City, SD, that is a National Historic Site.

The sad news is that the sites that were closed down before this time (the Titan I, and Atlas D, E, and F sites) were all sold and closed before anyone really thought about preserving their historic nature. Same for the Nike SAM sites that once dotted the US countryside.

If I thought it was possible I'd try to drum up interest in preserving one of the Titan 1 sites East of Denver, but I don't think there is, which is sad.
ZappBranigan is offline   Reply With Quote