User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2008, 09:11 PM   #31
PackRat OP
Huey Guns

Oddometer: 1,454

Open road

We pulled over to let a group of trucks go by - the gravel on the sides is about 2- 4 inches deep and will eat a front wheel! All the truckers we met were very professional.

The pipeline

After we get over Atigun Pass there are Caribou everywhere. Watch the moose cows - there are often moose males following them! Pheromones have the right of way!

Of course the rain stopped as we limped into Deadhorse at 8:30 that night –after the chow hall was closed! 12 hours for about 500 miles. Note to self: “TKC 80s were a good decision! Do not underestimate this road!” 36 degrees F.

We stayed at a work camp for $94.00 each

That thermometer says:

In front of the Arctic Inn

Dalton Mud:

Back in a moment.......

Yungas Rd.-Bolivia, Alaska '08 - Labrador '10 -
PackRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 09:35 PM   #32
PackRat OP
Huey Guns

The next morning the Arctic Ocean Tour to the Oil Field was well worth the time and money.
Tundra tractors:

The security gate into the Prudhoe Bay oil field area - you cannot get in unless you call 24 hours ahead and take the tour bus.

Self-Propelled drill rig.

The Arctic Ocean - the 2nd Goal.

Yes, folks that is ice!!! EYE CEE EEE - ICE, as in Arctic freaking cold!!!! 34 degrees F. air temp

HMMMMMM.......If I take all the gear off the GSA, and put a medium kicker rock about here, and get up to about 37-38 MPH with all the weight on the rear wheel, I think I could stop against that big ice cube without the ABS on!!

Old 10-27-2008, 10:02 PM   #33
PackRat OP
Huey Guns

Several brave souls jumped into the Arctic to join the polar bear club–I wonder if they were sneezing in their helmets on the way home?

The two Old Blisters at the Arctic Ocean:

Oil Feeder pipes going to the manifold and pumping station to start southbound in the pipeline.

Pendulum dampers to take out vibrations in the pipe:

After refueling, we started out about noon. The hours of truck traffic without rain made the road very good on the way back and we saw lots of wildlife.

Bob at Coldfoot southbound:

Bill at Coldfoot south bound:

Back soon.....

Old 10-27-2008, 10:17 PM   #34
PackRat OP
Huey Guns

Of course, purchasing an Arctic Circle pin at the Coldfoot restaurant was a must: just right for the pocket flap of the ‘Stitch.

On the southbound run from Fox to Tok, we stopped by the dealer to let the BMW leak in their parking lot for a while. I politely resisted their suggestion to “leave it again so they could put a whole new final drive in.”

We continued south, checking the fluid and mag plug often. We remained overnight in Tok so we could eat again at the Grumpy Griz; and from there, we went across the Top of the World Highway to Chicken Creek.

The out house or "Chicken Poop" in Chicken Creek:

Chicken Creek.

Caution – Cinnamon buns are to die for!
Next we were off to Dawson City to do some sightseeing on D2D weekend.

Old 10-28-2008, 02:40 PM   #35
PackRat OP
Huey Guns

Off across the Top Of The World Highway to Dawson City

Down to the Yukon River ferry

The river is really wide here.

First sight off the ferry.

Meeting Bill Broez and his R1200GS at the Midnight Sun Hotel , we forced him to have a few beers with us. He had just done the Dempster Highway in only 9 days – you’ll have to buy him the beer for that story!

The Midnight Sun Hotel Annex:

Alot of interesting stores

Since I had been part owner in a drinking establishment in the far east that catered to Marine pilots and DOD school teachers that we named "The Bloated Goat", I was immediately attacted to this place:

Nice weather - don't hold your breath! We were one day late for D2D....

Old 10-28-2008, 03:05 PM   #36
PackRat OP
Huey Guns

The next morning, Bill A., Bill B., and I headed out to Watson Lake, stopping in Johnson’s Crossing again for the cooking! As we left, we noticed that Bill B’s lights weren’t working, so we agreed to run with him in the middle. The temperature dropped to about 37 degrees and it rained all the way to Watson Lake. We stopped in a “dump but dry” hotel/bunk room at the intersection of Hwy 1 and 37.

After eating fish and drinking a beer (or two) Bill A. announced that he’d “had enough gravel, rain, mud and long days” and elected to go back down the Alaskan Highway to Dawson Creek. I stuck with the original plan to ride the Cassier to Dease Lake, Smithers and Prince George. We agree to meet at my friend Dan’s house in Anacortes, WA where our last set of tires was pre-positioned.

Bill B. and I launched out at 6:00AM in the rain and cold (ADVRider style, of course) and headed south on Hwy 37, the Cassier Highway. After about 30 miles, the rain stopped and at 70 miles the sun came out.

Bill B. on the Cassier Highway

North of Dease Lake

Enjoying the great weather - HINT: the lead bike will arouse the wildlife and the following riders will see more of them! "Yeah, sure, go ahead, I'll be right behind you....." Bill saw 3 bears at once that I never saw!!!

We had a great breakfast in Dease Lake and saw lots of bears and wildlife all the way to Smithers where we stopped for the night. Bill B. fixed a relay and restored his lights. We laughed about it taking 2 Airframe & Powerplant Mechanics taking so long to change a relay! I now carry a spare one of those relays, too.

And yes, there was construction on the Cassiers Highway......I knew you were concerned......

Old 10-28-2008, 04:06 PM   #37
PackRat OP
Huey Guns

The next day we left at 6:30, heading down to Prince George and Cache Creek for Lunch where I topped off the final drive, which is now changing the oil itself!

Bill B. headed east for a service appointment at the Kamloops Dealer and I went south on the Canadian Route 1 – Bill’s a fun guy to ride with.

Hwy 1 is outstanding! Lots of Photo Ops.

I saw lots of radar cops between Hope and the border crossing; I learned that crossing the Canadian/US border at Abbottsford was a good choice – no traffic – and the short trip to Anacortes was fun and easy. Dan & I, having flown Hueys in Nam and retiring from law enforcement careers, have always been close friends.
We rode an "Around the US trip on the back roads" several years ago. I rode that FXR Hardley Ableson about 65,000 miles without a single leak! Oh well, never mind....

The next day I pulled the mag plug and VOILA! No chips! I took the final drive apart again, trying to seal the axle/spacer with JB Weld, a “fix” which lasted almost all the way to Texas.

My guess-timate on the safe TKC-80 mileage on my bike being 4500 miles on the rear tire was pretty close - here is about 1/8 to 3/16" of "knob" left at 4000 miles since mounting them in Tok northbound.

I mounted the Tourances – now, we all know why they have that arrow on the side, don’t we? Well, I proved you can mount them the other way if you anticipate backing down a lot of hills! Spoons, nurse……, again please!

I also took the majority of the survival gear and the second set of fleece out (Vacuum sealed dry for emergency use) and mailed them home. I used about everthing I took except the survival gear (the usual gear a Packrat Aviator always carries, as well as lots of water, 3 field-stripped & vacuumed packed MREs) and a small block and tackle with 100 feet of rope. I tried to prepare to have to be alone in a deep ditch and still be able to get noticed (pen gun flares and signal mirror) and treat my own injuries (Celox quick clot and several sutures) and possibly recover the bike.

I did wear all three pairs of gloves - 2 medium & 1 Widder heated pair. I used all my heated gear including grips and seat. I reminded myself how I evaluated the extra money for the heated Russell Day Long saddle and was VERY glad I did get it. My first aid kit is big, but I didn't even open it during the whole 6 weeks. Judy brought jeans and shirts (which I had pre-packed) for the "shopping phase" and she took them back home for me. She didn't want to have me eating dinner with her (twice) at Simons & Seafort's Saloon & Grill in Anchorage in a stinkin' Stitch! Yes Dear!!

I usually wear Hein Gericke/First Gear mesh above 90 degrees (to keep from having to wash the "Stitch" as often) and the "Stitch the rest of the time. Under it, I wear shorts and long sleeve tees in hot weather, and poly-pro long johns with fleece top & bottom with the Widder vest in really cold Wx. For mild Wx, I use BDU pants (loose in the crotch and lots of pockets located away from the seat area) with a long sleeve tee.

Old 10-28-2008, 04:48 PM   #38
PackRat OP
Huey Guns

Anacortes and the San Juan Islands will be one of my future bike/ferry trips!

I went home through Oregon (rain), Utah, (to Moab), Colorado, New Mexico (hot), then Texas (Hotter). Total: about 11,700 miles.

PROS- Great tripbeautiful country, wonderful people everywhere we stopped. Drank lots of Captain Morgan with some neat people….I will go back to do the Dempster….and the Laird up to Wrigley….(Son, I say Son, what are you doing next summer after you graduate?) Stopped to see lots of great friends and ate way too much and still lost 15 pounds.

I was prepared for the rain and cold, so that was no problem. And I have a new respect for smart riders who decide to wait to try a section of road another day…Also, you can ride alone – but you’re never alone when it comes to meeting ADV Riders on the road.

Future plans include San Juans Bike/Ferry tour (hack?), Goose Bay, Labrador, Manitoba (up Hwy 6), and Saskatchewan (Hwy 102 to the end of the roads) and trips east to see new grandchild, lots of short, snakehunting, exploring, recovering other ADVRider trips, and what ever comes to mind on Friday afternoons!

A loose schedule and time line give flexibility.

CONS-Final drive issue (I will have a spare and correct tools packed & ready to ship overnight to fix R1150GSA FDs in the future),… final drive – have spare, will travel!... would rather have camped more to save $..... wish I had not had the time limits, but that is part of life….heavy load, but I didn’t take too much that I didn’t need or use….how do you decide which spare parts to take?....if you have them, nothing breaks…. The maintenance down time shifted my schedule into the fast mode…..less options..... less fun….and caused the trip to cost me twice ($7000) as much as I planned ($3500) for the trip. C'est la damned Vie!!

OUT-TAKES:

ADVRiders taking power naps!

G'Night Ya'll...

Written by Packrat - spell check by Judy!

Old 10-28-2008, 05:37 PM   #39
1P8RIOT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 376
Laugh Great report!

Thanks for taking the time to share your trip. It looks like y'all had a real good time. I leave June 24 '09 for Alaska on my '84 FXR. Thanks for your service to this great country. Ther are alot of guys that made it back because The chopper pilots risked their lives for them. THANKS!!! Semper Fi!

'09 F800GS YEAH BABY!!!
1P8RIOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 05:45 PM   #40
RoyB
Dartmouth, Massacusetts

Oddometer: 1,578
AWESOME!

Thanks
2004 Honda VFR abs,2001 Moto Guzzi Rosso Mandello
1971 Honda Trail CT90
RoyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 05:45 PM   #41
1reddawg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,185
Packrat,you have a wonderful way of writing a R.R. Enjoyed the Pro's & Cons at the end of your report also!!cant wait till you do another ride report..Reddawg
Old 10-28-2008, 05:54 PM   #42
PackRat OP
Huey Guns

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1P8RIOT
Thanks for taking the time to share your trip. It looks like y'all had a real good time. I leave June 24 '09 for Alaska on my '84 FXR. Thanks for your service to this great country. Ther are alot of guys that made it back because The chopper pilots risked their lives for them. THANKS!!! Semper Fi!
Thank you, Sir was my pleasure!

Old 10-28-2008, 05:55 PM   #43
PackRat OP
Huey Guns

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1reddawg
Packrat,you have a wonderful way of writing a R.R. Enjoyed the Pro's & Cons at the end of your report also!!cant wait till you do another ride report..Reddawg

I appreciate it. It was so much fun!

Old 10-28-2008, 05:59 PM   #44
10guy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 274
Thanks for taking me along on your trip.
10guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 08:00 PM   #45
Steve Glenn
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 680
Great RR