Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2012, 12:39 PM   #6676
Queen
Escapee

Oddometer: 24,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark1305 View Post
I've done that too on smaller boats.

You'd be surprised how big of a sailing vessel (think old Euro fishing boats before the age of engines) can be moved with big oars.

Also a single stern mounted scull or yuloh in Asia is quite effective at moving big boats in Asian countries and the Middle East. I've always wanted to make and try one, but never got around to it - yet.
I tried rowing a gondola in Venice, it wasn't pretty, we mostly went in a circle.
Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 12:54 PM   #6677
ny-wolcott
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 915
Mark,
I had a Paceship 19, similar but with more sail. What a hoot in a good breeze. If only 2 on board, needed a trapeze. Otherwise, needed at least 3 aboard to hold it down. Loved the sound of the rigging "whining" in a stiff breeze. Maybe a ballasted centerboard would have helped.

It, however, was the major contributor to my chronic lower back problems - which plague me to this day.
ny-wolcott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 02:07 PM   #6678
mark1305
Old Enough To Know Better

Oddometer: 5,946
Dick, My last daysailer was an AMF Alcort Sunbird - the 16ft version of the PY19, and with a bare cuddy, of course. It was a lot of fun and I did some mods to it. Eventually I poured about 400 lbs of concrete around the centerboard trunk and under the deck. Stiffened it up nicely.

I was going to look at a Paceship PY23 up in Sanford, but it looked like too much "fixer upper" even for the $1800 the seller was asking. And it likely weighed a little more than I want to tow and launch with the Jeep.

This GC 20 ought to scoot in a good breeze. I'm playing around with the rigging for stepping the mast and double checking all the working rigging at my leisure (while looking at the front tire sitting in the living room waiting to go onto the F 650). I'm hoping to get the mast sorted to where I can step it myself safely. I can put it up, but don't have the leverage from where I have to stand to get the heel onto the step. I have an A-frame gin pole rig that came with the boat and reportedly worked. But I want to tidy up a few bits on it before trying it.

I hate to even think about the routine maintenance the R80 ST needs on top of the stuff for the F 650. Too much distraction playing with the new toy.

When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration.
mark1305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 03:14 PM   #6679
Jack Daniel OP
See Ya At The Swamp

Oddometer: 12,008
Mark, I know the week that JoLinda and I came over there

You could have sailed at 20 knots on the river

The Scrub The Swamp
Jack Daniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 03:16 PM   #6680
Scribe
£Bob£

Oddometer: 6,744
Nice boat Mark. I had a Precision 21 when I was in Orlando. I loved it but frankly it became too much of a PITA to use much. Hauling it was a chore and set up and take down time was about an hour, and the kids got bored with sailing so I sold her. If I ever get another it will be at a dock ready to go. I suppose I'll need to make more money so I could finance such a thing.

Man Ball Rolls Through Coloutahrado 2014!
Scribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 05:08 PM   #6681
mark1305

I know exactly what you mean, Bob. I've built four boats(8' - 24') to plans from one of my favorite naval architects, Philip Bolger. One of his axioms is the the smaller the boat, the more likely it will get used more often. I cannot argue with his logic/reasoning for that statement. And you summed it up pretty well from your experience.

While I was looking for something to sail casually, I also wanted something just big enough to head out on an afternoon before a full or nearly so moon, fish into the night, sail and fish some more the next day, and so on. A new pattern for me. But one that I miss from my powerboating days when stationed in Key West.

So I'm hoping that by changing my expectations and usage patterns, I can make the 45+ minute launch routine give me a reasonable return on boating time. The nice thing in my favour is that I have a good launch ramp about six minutes from the house. So the big time expenditures will be up to me to minimize. And the short trip to the ramp means some things can be short-cutted ahead of time to ready the boat as opposed to keeping it secured for a long haul to launch point.

Something else I hope to cash in on is the huge no-motor area just north of here and adjacent to the Space Center. This boat is supposedly pretty fast and is very shoal draft. There should be some fish up there waiting for me.

This evening I went out and measured the mast length and W/L to mast step height. Oddly enough neither spec is given in the original company brochures, nor anywhere else online. Mast length came in at 24' 01 1/4" plus 3' 00" above waterline for 27' 1 1/4" total height. No probs with any of my nearby bridges.

I'll have more drivel after tomorrow, I'm sure.

When a person asks you for advice, they don't want advice. They want corroboration.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:49 PM   #6682
Jack Daniel OP
See Ya At The Swamp

I'm thinking that trolling a jig behind while leisurly sailing

just offshore here in the gulf

Could bring many grouper sammiches too

The Scrub The Swamp
Old 06-19-2012, 05:53 AM   #6683
Queen
Escapee

Oddometer: 24,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Daniel View Post

Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 06:41 AM   #6684
Buzztail
NMBBMFBK

Oddometer: 10,833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribe View Post
Nice boat Mark. I had a Precision 21 when I was in Orlando. I loved it but frankly it became too much of a PITA to use much. Hauling it was a chore and set up and take down time was about an hour, and the kids got bored with sailing so I sold her. If I ever get another it will be at a dock ready to go. I suppose I'll need to make more money so I could finance such a thing.
Complete 180° for me... I fished my 28' Mako 2-3 times a month. My 17' Carolina Skiff hasn't seen the water in nearly a year.... It's almost scallop season though
Originally Posted by Mugwest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzztail
You shoulda told me to do this a long time ago
My bad
Buzztail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 04:30 PM   #6685
mark1305

Quote:

Yep, two modes to troll in the rivers(lagoons) here: trolling under sail and controlling sail speed with sail trim; Or drifting and bouncing jigs across the grass flats. Lots of trout hide right at the edge of white sand holes in the grass. Unfortunately, most are undersized.

Its been weird over here. When I first moved here in 1988 it was not uncommon to find a school of black drum in the Banana River near the locks of 1000 or more fish. Snook were rare - you had to go to Sebastian Inlet to catch them. Now, black drum are rare and snook are getting plentiful in hidden creek and canal mouths all over the place. Some tarpon in canals too, which surprises me this far north.

The cool thing about this boat (or any this size) is that if I want to go out under power alone, no problem. Like having two boats for the price of one.

More drivel: After going through the paper trail on the boat I called a gentleman whose name appeared on some receipts in the chain of paperwork. He confirmed he was the 3rd owner, loved the boat, and would actually like to have it back. He confirmed my assessment of the ownership trail which makes me the 5th owner. I've now talked with 2 of the 4 previous owners and all the input is really good. The gentleman I spoke with also said this boat is a rocket - he raced it in club racing series and usually trounced the competition. All is good.

Old 06-24-2012, 04:48 AM   #6686
Jack Daniel OP
See Ya At The Swamp

Sittin' here wondering where Jerry and Kim are at

Dayum connection this morning really sucks due to the weather

The Scrub The Swamp
Old 06-24-2012, 04:50 AM   #6687
Jack Daniel OP
See Ya At The Swamp

Anyone else have satellite internet?

With today's weather

Surprised there's service at all

When I look at the size dish the cable peeps use

Can't help but wonder if larger home dishes might help with signal

The Scrub The Swamp
Old 06-24-2012, 05:32 AM   #6688
sanjoh
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,668
Quote:
Anyone else have satellite internet?

With today's weather

Surprised there's service at all

When I look at the size dish the cable peeps use

Can't help but wonder if larger home dishes might help with signal
Verizon 3g, fortunately still on the unlimited plan. I'm close enough to the tower that I'm growing a third eye so the signal is strong. Fast enough to stream HD movies.
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 07:06 AM   #6689
rider1150gsadv
€ Fl Keys Fishing Guide €

Oddometer: 5,912
UR lucky AT&T blows

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
rider1150gsadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:08 AM   #6690
mark1305

Lovely weather over here - grass looks great! Weeds are growing even faster than the grass.

Went out and lowered the mast on the boat a while ago before the rain and wind start to pick up more. At least now I know I can get the mast up and back down myself with just a helper to pin/unpin the forestay clevis. It only weighs about 25 lbs, but when you are near the bottom end lifting all 24' 1" through 45 degrees, the leverage is in the mast's favor.