User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-30-2009, 09:31 PM   #1
jcmccorm OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
Quickdisconnect replacement question...

So I pull into the driveway after a 70mile ride on the '02 Adventure and smell gas. Before shutting down I look down to the right and see gas pissing out of one of the plastic disconnects. Great.

This is the second time it has happened. I checked the forum here and ordered the chrome plated brass kit from Beemerboneyard as I'm sick of messing with these things.

Here's the question. It's a real bugger pulling the old ones out of the hose. I'm holding the hose with pliers and the QD with another set of pliers and pulling. I'm stuck on the crossover connector and I'm afraid of ruining the hose.

How do you get these things out? Should I replace the hoses as well? (cause this can't be good for them).

Thanks.

Cary
jcmccorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 09:39 PM   #2
Some-Young-Guy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
I changed the hose at the same time I installed the new quick disconnects. I bought the connections, hose, and hose clamps all at the same time. The new hose clamps were the "screw" type and not the OEM "crimp" type.

Good luck!

2004 BMW R1150GS

ATGATT Rider

"At the age of thirteen I experienced an epiphany when I realized that liberalism is nothing more than a mental disorder. I've been clear headed and self motivated since and this, more than anything else, has served me well." SYG
Old 04-30-2009, 09:50 PM   #3
jcmccorm OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some-Young-Guy
I changed the hose at the same time I installed the new quick disconnects. I bought the connections, hose, and hose clamps all at the same time. The new hose clamps were the "screw" type and not the OEM "crimp" type.

Good luck!
Thanks!

Can I get the hose and clamps at an autoparts store? The kit came with just enough clamps (6) for replacing the disconnects. They're nice clamps and I'd hope I can get ones just as good locally.

Cary
Old 04-30-2009, 09:59 PM   #4
Some-Young-Guy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
Here is a tip...

It's important that the new fuel lines are the right lengths. A little too short and the quick connects wont connect; a little too long and there will be unnecessary stress on the fittings.

After you remove the old hoses and fitting, save them and reassemble them to act as a guide for cutting the new hose sections to the proper lengths.

In other words, make sure that the new hose assemblies have the same lengths as the old hose assemblies. Each of the two assemblies will have a slightly different length.

2004 BMW R1150GS

ATGATT Rider

"At the age of thirteen I experienced an epiphany when I realized that liberalism is nothing more than a mental disorder. I've been clear headed and self motivated since and this, more than anything else, has served me well." SYG
Old 04-30-2009, 10:26 PM   #5
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,916
Replace the or-rings often, also. And carry spares. Sometimes the orings are damaged when your disconnect the fittings.
Old 05-01-2009, 06:46 AM   #6
Oilybimmer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,424
Dont forget to put them in in opposite directions, that way you can never connect them up the wrong way round DAMHIK
Stewart
Old 05-01-2009, 07:03 AM   #7
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,801
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcmccorm
Thanks!

Can I get the hose and clamps at an autoparts store? The kit came with just enough clamps (6) for replacing the disconnects. They're nice clamps and I'd hope I can get ones just as good locally.

Cary
You can get Fuel Injection screw type hose clamps at any auto parts store. I can't say if they would be as nice as the ones you have, but they will work.

Jim
JimVonBaden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 07:08 AM   #8
jcmccorm OP
Adventurer

Thanks for the tips guys!

I'll stop and get hose and clamps and finish this off after work tonight. It'll be much easier to just cut the old hoses off since I won't be using them again.

Might look into that cannisterectomy while I'm here.

Cary
Old 05-01-2009, 09:00 AM   #9
Farnsrocket
Manos arribas!!!

Oddometer: 3,983
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but make sure ya get fuel injection hose too.

I can't leave good enough alone.
Farnsrocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 09:37 AM   #10
jcmccorm OP
Adventurer

I picked up some fuel injection hose from Autozone. It's not an exact match as the ID and OD are both a little smaller than the factory hose. The clamps they had seem decent enough but are a little LARGER diameter than the beemer ones. They should screw down ok though.

Cary
Old 05-01-2009, 11:33 AM   #11
DriveShaft
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,333
Quote:
I'm sick of messing with these things.
Nooooo, Cary, you were supposed to go with theeeese.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=341730

Just bustin'.

Yes, on hose replacement. It's the inner hose diameter that counts, and you should be aiming for 8mm or 5/16th FUEL INJECTION rated hose.
DriveShaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2009, 12:05 PM   #12
jcmccorm OP
Adventurer

Yeah, I saw those babies (the Jiffy-Tights). I've got no good reason for not going with them except that the chrome-plated brass ones are identical to the original ones, except they're not going to break in my lifetime. Either one would've been good.

ID is smaller but it is for fuel injection. I'll know in a couple of hours if I'm hosed (yeah, that's the best pun I could come up with). I bet it'll stretch though :)

Cary
Old 05-01-2009, 05:29 PM   #13
dukebackpack
Retired Bowman

Oddometer: 136
doesn't need to be fuel injection hose, just fuel hose.
Old 05-01-2009, 05:44 PM   #14
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,879
Regular hose is not designed for more than about 15 PSI. It will work, and it probably will work for a long time. The operative word is probably. Just be aware that it is not designed for the pressure.

Rod
ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2009, 08:05 AM   #15
vospertw
Adventures on the Cheap

Oddometer: 767
Quote:
So I pull into the driveway after a 70mile ride on the '02 Adventure and smell gas. Before shutting down I look down to the right and see gas pissing out of one of the plastic disconnects. Great.

This is the second time it has happened. I checked the forum here and ordered the chrome plated brass kit from Beemerboneyard as I'm sick of messing with these things.

Here's the question. It's a real bugger pulling the old ones out of the hose. I'm holding the hose with pliers and the QD with another set of pliers and pulling. I'm stuck on the crossover connector and I'm afraid of ruining the hose.

How do you get these things out? Should I replace the hoses as well? (cause this can't be good for them).

Thanks.

Cary
Beemerboneyard also sells a kit of 5' of FI hose with a dozen clamps like the ones you received with your QD's. $25 IIRC. Not sure if it's a better deal than you can get elsewhere. Should be on the same page on their site as the QD's.

'07 DR650SE

"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."
- Samuel Adams
vospertw is offline   Reply With Quote