Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2014, 02:43 AM   #1
MATTY OP
ADV RIDER & DRIVER

Oddometer: 272
What is the story on the TX750

YAMAHA TX 750?
I have seen these bikes on the internet, however i do not think they were imported to Britain or if they were i did not notice them.
What is the story on these bikes why ae they not as popular as the XS650 for example, was it just a case of they were not produced as long or other reasons what were they like ? have you got one and have you any pictures and info on your bike.
MATTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 02:47 AM   #2
FR700
Heckler™©®

Oddometer: 6,806
There are several threads here in Old School that are dedicated to the TX750.

Old 12-17-2014, 03:15 AM   #3
lesman
Live easy, Brake Hard

Oddometer: 518
The TX750/500 came out in the early 70's. While the 650 was a timeless design. the tx models had a few issues.Yamaha was a 2 stroke company transitioning to 4 strokes. On the 500 (I think) Yamaha was forced to almost replace every motor. These bikes were only produced a few years. The 650 had a 17+/- year run.
Old 12-17-2014, 06:49 AM   #4
gonerydin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
I bought an XS1B (1971 XS650) in early 1973. My first street bike. Loved it and abused it for 4 years. The TX750 in comparison was heavy, ugly, underpowered and unreliable. I never had the desire to own one. Nor did many others, apparently. : )
gonerydin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 08:43 AM   #5
farmrjohn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
This will give you a quick overview http://tx750.proboards.com/thread/25/tx750-wikipedia There is quite a bit of history on the TX750 available on the internet. They were Yamaha's answer to the Honda 750, and went with a twin to keep the width more narrow than an inline 4. They also came up with a counterbalance system to smooth out the twin engine vibrations, and that system was the probable cause of their issues. The oils of the time weren't up to handling the shear forces the counter weights caused (solved with a deeper sump) and the initial sync. system would go out of sync solved with an adjustment scheme. The oil problem was the worst, causing lubrication failures in the engine. The '74 models had the "fixes" included, but by then the marketing damage had been done, and the model canceled. I like my '74.
Attached Images

farmrjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 09:03 AM   #6
bk brkr baker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,464
I knew a guy that bought one new. He was in college in Kentucky and had a summer job as a jr. park Ranger in New Mexico. He'd ride the TX 750 out there for the summer.
The first year ,the balancer chain broke and sawed through the cases. The motor was replaced under warrenty.
The next year ,he was in New Mexico and hit a large deer,writing off the bike.
I think he got out of bikes after that.
bk brkr baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2014, 12:25 PM   #7
McJamie
STROMINATOR

Oddometer: 1,343
A properly set and updated TX 750 is a lovely bike to ride.
Otherwise, it's boat anchor full of frustration and complication.
So if you really want one, buy the best you can get.
Old 12-17-2014, 03:51 PM   #8
MATTY OP
ADV RIDER & DRIVER

Thanks for the input i was just interested to know a little more about the history of them, the XS was a big earner for yamaha and was just thinking where did the TX go wrong.
Seems they had some issues but nothing that cant be solved.
Old 12-18-2014, 07:16 PM   #9
concours
WFO for 41 years

Oddometer: 5,367
Quote:
Originally Posted by MATTY View Post
YAMAHA TX 750?
I have seen these bikes on the internet, however i do not think they were imported to Britain or if they were i did not notice them.
What is the story on these bikes why ae they not as popular as the XS650 for example, was it just a case of they were not produced as long or other reasons what were they like ? have you got one and have you any pictures and info on your bike.
The debut '73 TX750 OHC engine made 63hp and had two balancer shafts, a very effective design to cancel vibration of the parallel twin. They drove those shafts via a roller chain, but with no means to adjust the tension on that chain. As the chain stretched a bit, the balance weights whipping greatly accelerated the stretch and eventual breakage of the chain and resultant catastrophic failure. (Bikes ridden gently lasted better than those wrung out regularly) A retrofit kit was issued (sadly, many bikes never got it installed) consisting of an eccentric shaft for one of the balancer shafts, allowing the chain to be tensioned.

Another big issue was the dry sump engine which had plain rod and main bearings suffered from oil related failures. Many oil grade recommendations were tried, oil coolers were retrofitted, still the failures persisted. A wily racer (eventually) solved the riddle by sawing a slot in the oil tank, fitting a plexiglass window. One lap around the circuit showed milk shake like foam. Turns out, the lowermost of the balancer shafts was whipping the scavenge puddle into aerated oil, which is incompatible with plain bearing life. The fix was a 2" tall sump extension which moved the scavenge puddle down and away from the balance shafts flyweight. Again, sadly, many bikes never got it installed.

The many failures and the misdiagnosed factory attempts at fixing them created great frustration for the owners, dealers and the company. There were entire engines sent out in crates. But people had enough. The '74 model year had all the updates incorporated, but sales were dismal and the plug was pulled halfway through the year.

There were a few other niggling things, oil leaks, starter sprag failures, but, hey, the Norton Commando had both and was well loved.

I had one at 16YO, rode the hell out of it, and thought it went quite well.

I picked this one up at auction five years ago and restored it.

and specs versus it's contemporaries

Old Yesterday, 12:24 AM   #10
MATTY OP
ADV RIDER & DRIVER

Thanks concours informative read, and your TX looks awesome thanks for posting this.
On the test report the Kawsaki looked quite good i remember reading an article in MCI back in the day and i seem to emember it was not impresive in that report.
Old Yesterday, 06:16 AM   #11
concours
WFO for 41 years

Quote:
Thanks concours informative read, and your TX looks awesome thanks for posting this.
On the test report the Kawsaki looked quite good i remember reading an article in MCI back in the day and i seem to emember it was not impresive in that report.
The Kwacker got the crazy fast reputation from it's piston port total lack of low end torque followed by a lightswitch transition to full power.... it was the quickest in 1/4 mile, but only 3 tenths of a second ahead of the ancient, long stroke Commando. Perception is everything
Old Yesterday, 08:44 AM   #12
MATTY OP
ADV RIDER & DRIVER

The Kawasaki looks good there on paper then, I was suprised it looked that quick and like i said the old write up in MCI was not that spectacular from memory.
the old norton had some grunt i never owned one myself but rode one owned by a mate back in the day .
Old Yesterday, 09:50 AM   #13
concours
WFO for 41 years

Quote:
The Kawasaki looks good there on paper then, I was suprised it looked that quick and like i said the old write up in MCI was not that spectacular from memory.
the old norton had some grunt i never owned one myself but rode one owned by a mate back in the day .
An old saying in the muscle car world, people BUY horsepower, but DRIVE torque.

OTOH, The frantic screaming of a triple two stroke on the boil is a soul stirring experience! (snowmobile 2-stroke triples lasted into the 2000's...)

concours screwed with this post Today at 09:24 AM
concours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:28 AM   #14
concours
WFO for 41 years

I do believe they imported to the UK, but not many. Here in the states, it's common for knowledgable bike aficionados to say: " what IS that?" And "I've never SEEN one of those before"

Rare, for all the wrong reasons..

concours screwed with this post Today at 09:34 AM
concours is offline   Reply With Quote