Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Yesterday, 03:13 AM   #1
santoshkeie OP
size zero

Oddometer: 3
Royal enfield project help

hello everyone,
I am new to this forum
I am student currently pursuing my masters in transportation and automobile design (that is how cool a bike or car should look) at National institute of design

I am planning to do a design project on royal enfiled bikes and wanted a few suggestions/clarifications from the RE-enthusiast on this great forum

1)How Comfortable are royal enfields for off roading?
2)Are any modifications required for a royal enfield to make it a capable off roader?
3)Any general problems that you face while driving a RE in extreme places such as Leh and Rajasthan

Looking forward to your replies
Thanks in advance
santoshkeie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:08 PM   #2
B80
TOURING ADVENTURIZOR

Oddometer: 96
All the best with your masters.
My experiences with enfields are Royal enfields of the 1950s and 60s, the Indian enfields are the same design from what i can tell. with some modernisation, e start etc on some models.
Your questions.
How comfortable ?
They are twin shock so they wont be anything like modern dual sports and the like, but are acceptable us old mortals got by with them all those years ago, standing helps so lower foot pegs further back and appropriate hight bars for the riders size will help as with any bike.
They are no worse than any other twin shock bike of thieir time period, and unless you are a enduro rider and thrape about the stepes like Graham Jarvis the Royal enfield will do just fine.

modifications.
Some sort of bash plate layout could be usefull, the stressed engine frame idea is practical as its strong helps weight a little etc, but its got no lower tubes to help protect the engine cases any. A lightweight bash plate would be a practical addition in my opinion.
A basic RE is a tough little bike straight out of the box, simple and uncomplicated to repair, i would not personaly bother with anything but the stock ignition system an aftermarket system may add some reliability with less maintainance, but if the latter enfields come with points etc, just cary the parts and enjoy the peace of mind basic bike running offers you.
Perhaps some fork spring replacement like hagons they are good and they would probably be a worthwile addition.
Rear shocks, some stronger rear shocks to help with the weight could be usefull but enfields are not that soggy on the back shockers as they come, the old girlings the bullets and crusaders had were a decent old shock and did the job ok. But this could be an area worth looking into.
Better air filter some sort of refreshable foam fillter would be a good choice.
a higher mounted exhaust silencer would be a mod i would want plenty of mounting points for the stock layout, or if your thesis alows for more radical mods here cuped flanges and steel ring gaskets with springs at front pipe to head muffler joint etc would help keep things together.
Slightly raised mudguards not enduro hight but kind of classic trials style, with enough room for thick mud to stand a chance of getting away.
Fit led bulbs rack and power point metal enduro style footpegs nice big ones and basicaly i think the RE would give a good account of itself.
Problems with the RE in Leh and Rajasthan.
I have no experience whatsoever of those places, but The enfield is a tough bike it will cope ok. i would watch clean fuel went in everytime. dirty fuel could cause you heartache, inline fuel filters could help here.
Other than the few mods i mentioned, and the odd personal touch bar type hight sheepskin tyre choice etc i think the enfield would have no more problems than anything else twin shock.
Enfields are a fun bike to ride like ny light bike, the standard russian steed of the stans with the locals is the IZH planetas and latter the chinese 150s and 200s GY pushrod engines, all very simple light sustainably fixable long term. The enfield is the british / Indian version of these bikes if youu like.
Simple basic motorcycle thats well capable of off road reliability.
Not sure this has helped with my never owning a indian enfield and never touring the stans , but i have used enfields off road in other places right back to my childhood in the late 60s and the enfields are tough and dont forget fantastic fun. You can have fun on a a small low powered motorcycle its a shame so many just bypass the humble basic bikes and jump straight to the latest and greatest.
B80 is offline   Reply With Quote