ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-15-2010, 11:56 PM   #1711
Joe Bar
Middle England
 
Joe Bar's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Oddometer: 1,369
I've seen this photo all over the web, it crops up time and time again, with similar comments. It is such an evocative picture with so many dimensions to it. All the more so for me beacuse the bike is a Ducati, which was such a rare bike then, and very expensive compared to a British bike of the era.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svejkovat
I went through this thread yesterday. Today it was an image from the first page that just stuck in my head.

__________________
"Style is not a decoration added to a functional structure, it's a work of art."
Joe Bar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 02:03 AM   #1712
SnoozeRat
Gnarly Adventurer
 
SnoozeRat's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Alaska
Oddometer: 193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Ernie
Love it! What's the bike?
SnoozeRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 04:21 AM   #1713
joe cool
Studly Adventurer
 
joe cool's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: southwest,ohio
Oddometer: 976
Ariel square four
joe cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 05:24 AM   #1714
FakeName
Wile E Coyote SuperGenius
 
FakeName's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: San Diego
Oddometer: 1,847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bar
I've seen this photo all over the web, it crops up time and time again, with similar comments. It is such an evocative picture with so many dimensions to it. All the more so for me beacuse the bike is a Ducati, which was such a rare bike then, and very expensive compared to a British bike of the era.
Soon, we'll get back to less words, more pics. But I have to comment about this image.

Look at it's "quality". It appears to be a copy of a previously published image- I think I can see halftone dots and some cracks/wrinkles. Based on the look, it appears to have been shot on tri-x and somewhat poorly processed. Clumpy grain, blown highlights and nothing is sharp at all in the image. It violates the "rule of thirds"! It appears to have both camera shake and motion blur, and was probably shot with a Pentax Spotmatic or equivalent. Or, given it's square format, it might be a handheld Hassy or other medium format.

However, it's a beautiful image that repeatedly evokes strong reactions for a number of reasons, both motorcycle and woman comments. People are moved by this image enough they fantasize a background story for it. It's strongly evocative and very powerful. I love it too.

My point is, the next time you're geeking out about Nikon or Canon, point-and-shoot vs dslr, the $2500 camera or the $9000 camera. The fixed vs the wide-range super-fast latest zoom, and it's unique bokeh. The resolution lines of a tested lens and the shutter lag of another, or the color profile and the art of post-production, think of this image. The pixel count, the pixel size and a camera's performance at high exposure values. The next time you worry about all that technical bullshit, think of this image.

This image is a reminder that content is the king, and a good photographer can recognize and create a powerful image that is full of technical "flaws" will still inspire powerful emotional responses.
__________________
ADVdiscount Motorcycle Product Photography


2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black
FakeName is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 07:34 AM   #1715
Uncle Ernie
Beastly Adventurer
 
Uncle Ernie's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Asheville NC
Oddometer: 3,978
That's exactly what I used to tell the boys at the Art Academy!

If that was a perfect studio shot, it wouldn't convey the speed and motion, or even the romantic mystery. I like it just fine.
__________________
LOOK OUT IT'S COMING THIS WAY!
Uncle Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:34 AM   #1716
JBSmith
Ink-stained wretch
 
JBSmith's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Southern Oregon coast
Oddometer: 1,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by FakeName
And for those of you who may be unfamiliar with one of the single best assertive riding theme songs, check out John Mayall, specifically:

"Room to Move".

I have this album. On a vinyl LP. Damn, I'm old.
__________________
Tread Life A blog about motorcycles, riding motorcycles, and writing about motorcycles

Cycle Guide Magazine The digital update of the print-era classic
JBSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 10:09 AM   #1717
Joe Bar
Middle England
 
Joe Bar's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Oddometer: 1,369










__________________
"Style is not a decoration added to a functional structure, it's a work of art."
Joe Bar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 10:19 AM   #1718
blaine.hale
Beastly Adventurer
 
blaine.hale's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Atlanta, Ga
Oddometer: 3,212
Loooove Harold and Maude. I didn't realize it was a moto guzzi police bike she took in that scene. Thanks for this pic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bar


__________________
1974 BMW R90 /6
1968 Bultaco Matador MK3
1973 BMW R75 /5 Toaster LWB
1969 Bultaco Bandido MK2
2013 Husqvarna Terra TR650
blaine.hale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 10:34 AM   #1719
farmer fred
Banned
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Oddometer: 1,488
Quote:
Originally Posted by blaine.hale
Loooove Harold and Maude. I didn't realize it was a moto guzzi police bike she took in that scene. Thanks for this pic!
And they stole it from Tom Skerrit in the movie.
farmer fred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 10:52 AM   #1720
flick
Man on a mission.
 
flick's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Lost Somewhere
Oddometer: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by FakeName
Soon, we'll get back to less words, more pics. But I have to comment about this image.

Look at it's "quality". It appears to be a copy of a previously published image- I think I can see halftone dots and some cracks/wrinkles. Based on the look, it appears to have been shot on tri-x and somewhat poorly processed. Clumpy grain, blown highlights and nothing is sharp at all in the image. It violates the "rule of thirds"! It appears to have both camera shake and motion blur, and was probably shot with a Pentax Spotmatic or equivalent. Or, given it's square format, it might be a handheld Hassy or other medium format.

However, it's a beautiful image that repeatedly evokes strong reactions for a number of reasons, both motorcycle and woman comments. People are moved by this image enough they fantasize a background story for it. It's strongly evocative and very powerful. I love it too.

My point is, the next time you're geeking out about Nikon or Canon, point-and-shoot vs dslr, the $2500 camera or the $9000 camera. The fixed vs the wide-range super-fast latest zoom, and it's unique bokeh. The resolution lines of a tested lens and the shutter lag of another, or the color profile and the art of post-production, think of this image. The pixel count, the pixel size and a camera's performance at high exposure values. The next time you worry about all that technical bullshit, think of this image.

This image is a reminder that content is the king, and a good photographer can recognize and create a powerful image that is full of technical "flaws" will still inspire powerful emotional responses.
Sometimes its the flaws that shows that an event really happened and wasn't staged. To many photographers spend so much time trying to get the pefect shot that they end up missing it. If whoever took that picture had spent the time to get the focus right and the "rule of thirds" just right, the girl may have turned the corner and been gone forever. What makes this picture mean more to me is that it is flawed, a imperfect picture of perfection.
__________________
Don't tell me it's impossible, or I'm going to hurt myself trying


"We train young men to drop fire on people. But their commanders won't allow them to write "fuck" on their airplanes because it's obscene!" Apocalypse Now
flick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 11:35 AM   #1721
roadholder
Beastly Adventurer
 
roadholder's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Oddometer: 2,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bar

Fortunately the photo was cut off where it was!

roadholder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 12:04 PM   #1722
Motoduc1
backtrackvideo.com
 
Motoduc1's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Nebraska
Oddometer: 968
[quote=Joe Bar]

Precisely why I stopped using full-service stations. Bad gas!
Motoduc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 12:51 PM   #1723
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous
 
Wirespokes's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2002
Location: Jackson's Bottom Oregon
Oddometer: 8,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoduc1
Precisely why I stopped using full-service stations. Bad gas!
Not a problem for Harleys.
__________________
Wanted: Dead, smashed, crashed or trashed gauges
BMW GAUGE REPAIRS - TACH*SPEEDO*CLOCK*VOLT METER *PODs & LIGHT BOARD*
Wirespokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 02:16 PM   #1724
Joe Bar
Middle England
 
Joe Bar's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Oddometer: 1,369










Not a girl on an old bike obviously, but found this while I was surfing, liked it and thought I'd share it.

__________________
"Style is not a decoration added to a functional structure, it's a work of art."
Joe Bar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 03:22 PM   #1725
TomTom63
Motorradfahrer
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Oddometer: 1,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadholder
Fortunately the photo was cut off where it was!

...this is soooo cruel!
TomTom63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015