Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2012, 07:33 PM   #9466
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 45,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholastanguma View Post
Perhaps our dear nachtflug wasn't quite paying attention: "We make allowances for retro-styled modern motos, and modern motos chopped or bobbed or cafe'd to emulate those old genres."
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:40 AM   #9467
skorpioskorpio
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachtflug View Post
Well how do you know that GauloisUSA is not thinking these are modern interpretations of hypothetical motorcycles that could have been imagined by the likes of George Barris or Dean Jeffries? Besides that's kind of a cop out when virtually all stock or dealer accessorised pushrod V-twins could be described as "reto-styled"?

But then again I suppose those that provide the most content do get to have some liberties with the rules, but let's do remember the original charter was pin-up [sic] type shots if we are going to enforce the rules, which the originator of the thread has stretched on many occasions as is his prerogative.
skorpioskorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:04 AM   #9468
skibum69
slave to gravity

Oddometer: 5,016
I too am on the "Zilla support train, I don't find it spamish at all either. Thanks for the pics....
RIP ITsteve, ride in peace my friend
save $5 on a new smugmug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk
skibum69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 07:41 AM   #9469
blaine.hale
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,925
It's about that time for this thread to get ridiculous again.
1969 Bultaco Bandido MK2
2013 Husqvarna Terra TR650
blaine.hale is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 08:08 AM   #9470
Dirty bike
EVal Innovations Inc

Oddometer: 752
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholastanguma View Post
Perhaps our dear nachtflug wasn't quite paying attention: "We make allowances for retro-styled modern motos, and modern motos chopped or bobbed or cafe'd to emulate those old genres."
Perhaps, and you've posted up many a fine pic, but just because it's a sporty doesn't make it retro. You're stretching. And jeeze, what's with your fascination with sportys? Those were the bikes the little guys, chicks and guys sleeping with other men's wives bought. For this thread, you can define 'retro HD' by if it has a kick start or not. But that's just imho too. Having owned and ridden a '40 Knucklehead for a good number of miles. Rigid frame, kick start, manual advance timing, that's an HD, not some over-chromed, electric start softail poseur bike.

Content: Kylie Minogue with a KH400 two stroke triple

Another real woman riding a vintage bike
Dirty bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:05 AM   #9471
nachtflug
infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty bike View Post

Content: Kylie Minogue with a KH400 two stroke triple

dude.

H1-500 not a KH-400.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:30 AM   #9472
Dirty bike
EVal Innovations Inc

Quote:
dude.

H1-500 not a KH-400.
I just used the description for the original pic. Thanks for the correction, I wouldn't know.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:56 AM   #9473
nachtflug
infidel

well did the KH400 have a drum brake on the front?
Old 12-03-2012, 10:01 AM   #9474
Joe Bar
Middle England

Oddometer: 1,354
Quote:
well did the KH400 have a drum brake on the front?
None of the KH series had a front drum brake, they all had discs. The KH400 is also distinctive in the range by having a "full length" outer cylinder head fins, a style not shared by any of the other Kawasaki triples.

Old 12-03-2012, 10:15 AM   #9475
chiefrider OP
Chrome won't get you home

Oddometer: 2,254
Quote:
Perhaps, and you've posted up many a fine pic, but just because it's a sporty doesn't make it retro. You're stretching. And jeeze, what's with your fascination with sportys? Those were the bikes the little guys, chicks and guys sleeping with other men's wives bought. For this thread, you can define 'retro HD' by if it has a kick start or not. But that's just imho too. Having owned and ridden a '40 Knucklehead for a good number of miles. Rigid frame, kick start, manual advance timing, that's an HD, not some over-chromed, electric start softail poseur bike.
Sometimes it's hard to tell real classic from retro styling. Those not familiar with the Milwaukie Marvels may not catch the differences between old and current Sportsters. Good clues are drum brakes and chain drives, as they generally mean a genuine old bike.

But for the comment regarding Sportsters being "...Those were the bikes the little guys, chicks and guys sleeping with other men's wives bought..." ?

Tell it to these guys.....or the hot mama on the p-pad!

Tom in Salem
Old 12-03-2012, 10:33 AM   #9476
Dirty bike
EVal Innovations Inc

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefrider View Post
Sometimes it's hard to tell real classic from retro styling. Those not familiar with the Milwaukie Marvels may not catch the differences between old and current Sportsters. Good clues are drum brakes and chain drives, as they generally mean a genuine old bike.

But for the comment regarding Sportsters being "...Those were the bikes the little guys, chicks and guys sleeping with other men's wives bought..." ?

Tom in Salem
Or the swapped controls on the early Sportys.

Those guys? Really? Yep, another group of guys trying hard to be something they're not.

No front fender, a couple with no front brake, and the list goes on. Sporty buyers liked a quick get-a-way, or were often smaller riders that had difficulty kick starting the big twins. Now days it's just a starter bike for some, or a move up from something smaller in the 'standard' configuration. A good market position really.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:36 AM   #9477
Qaz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
That is not Kylie on the Kaw triple!
Qaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 12:10 PM   #9478
chiefrider OP
Chrome won't get you home

Oddometer: 2,254
Quote:
Or the swapped controls on the early Sportys.

Those guys? Really? Yep, another group of guys trying hard to be something they're not.

No front fender, a couple with no front brake, and the list goes on. Sporty buyers liked a quick get-a-way, or were often smaller riders that had difficulty kick starting the big twins. Now days it's just a starter bike for some, or a move up from something smaller in the 'standard' configuration. A good market position really.

"Yep, another group of guys trying hard to be something they're not. "

SOURCE: Hell Angels, 1965, LIFE magazine picture.

Who did you think they're trying to be?

DB, good on ya for riding that Knucklehead. I love 'em. As a member of the AMCA, a charter member and past officer of the Oregon Trail Chapter of the AMCA (and current Road Captain), and the Oregon Vintage Motorcyclists, I've ridden with many Knucklehead, Panhead, Shovelhead, Ironhead, UL, ULH, VL, WL, and KR Harleys. Love 'em all. I rode an Ironhead decades ago. It was a blast to ride.

As an Indian rider, I like to joke around with the HD guys about their rides, since it goes with the territory. But when the rubber hits the road, I never knock anybody for their ride. Me suspects that you really are that way too.

One thing I do like about the old Sportys, though. When I ride with one, I can usually start my Chief with one or two kicks, and the Sportys usually take, well, let's just say, quite a few more .

Keep that Knuck in the wind. Are you an AMCA member? You should come to our chapter Road Run next summer--July 25-27. I can crack jokes about your bike (and you can crack jokes about mine)!

Tom in Salem

chiefrider screwed with this post 12-03-2012 at 12:21 PM
chiefrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:26 PM   #9479
Mobiker
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,526
drum brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefrider View Post

Tom in Salem
Sportys had discs at both ends at least by '82 which was 30 years ago. Just how old does a bike have to be to qualify as old?

Back in the days of my ironhead, I mostly never got anything but compliments about it. The couple of wannabes that thought anything other than big twins sucked were.....wannabes

Thanks for all your pics in this thread Tom. You and a couple of other posters keep me comin' back

Edit: Forgot to mention that Sonny Barger was a sporty fan if I'm not mistaken. FWIW.
Mobiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 01:51 PM   #9480
RobbieO
Muskokatard

Oddometer: 7,482
Hey Flug!
I don't give a fuck if its old or a repro...........she's a redhead!