Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2008, 02:49 PM   #16
'Flagger
..this space for rent..

Oddometer: 2,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucko
That's the simplest yet...how's it holding up??
It's only been on there for a couple of days. I'll report back when it's got a few more miles.

Proud to be an inmate of AdvRider.
'Flagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 10:22 AM   #17
blackie
Still Hibernating

Oddometer: 434
Quote:
Originally Posted by levity

Thats a sweet looking ride! They sure don't build them like they used to, always wanted one of the original PDs..
Old 12-01-2008, 10:54 AM   #18
Harry Swan
One more time

Oddometer: 1,092
In the minority

I'm not thrilled with the BMW centerstand. I'll agree with the majority that the centerstand functions well when deployed but I'm not happy about getting it there! My problems start when I try to get a boot on the damn thing to push it down into contact with the ground. Mine neatly folds up behind the sidestand but the contact or 'foot' of is hidden behind the passenger foot peg. This makes for (for me) a tough flamingo like balancing act while trying to grab the centerstand. Imagine what it'll be like when the bike is fully loaded (Jesse bags on order) for traveling? Here's what I see right off the bike ...

So tell me, how do you get a foot on your centerstand?
Old 12-01-2008, 11:02 AM   #19
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual

Oddometer: 2,646
Stand

Why not leave the bike on the side stand until you get your foot on the center stand? No balancing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Swan
I'm not thrilled with the BMW centerstand. I'll agree with the majority that the centerstand functions well when deployed but I'm not happy about getting it there! My problems start when I try to get a boot on the damn thing to push it down into contact with the ground. Mine neatly folds up behind the sidestand but the contact or 'foot' of is hidden behind the passenger foot peg. This makes for (for me) a tough flamingo like balancing act while trying to grab the centerstand. Imagine what it'll be like when the bike is fully loaded (Jesse bags on order) for traveling? Here's what I see right off the bike ...

Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 11:05 AM   #20
DolphinJohn
Really, Really Cool

Oddometer: 3,645
Quote:

I put the sidestand down while still on the bike.
lean it over, get off, then put it on the center with the side still down.
With the sidestand out of the way, it's easier to get your toe in there to get at the center.
I leave it leaning on the sidestand until I get the center down a bit, then make sure I have a good hold with my foot, then tip it up to center, plant the foot and lift.
I find it actually much easier than my 650.

My Ride Reports
DolphinJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 11:33 AM   #21
Harry Swan
One more time

Quote:
Originally Posted by DolphinJohn
I put the sidestand down while still on the bike.
lean it over, get off, then put it on the center with the side still down.
With the sidestand out of the way, it's easier to get your toe in there to get at the center.
I leave it leaning on the sidestand until I get the center down a bit, then make sure I have a good hold with my foot, then tip it up to center, plant the foot and lift.
I find it actually much easier than my 650.
I appreciate that routine ... that's what I'm doing now, but I still have to grab then hold the centerstand down before I can apply leverage and that gets tricky. Think end of day with a loaded bike. I do have to say I'm just now recovering from a twisted right knee and I'm very sensitive to pressures exerted. With that point in mind, today was the first time in nearly a month that my knee was up to riding and I took out three bikes, two oil heads and the F800. Getting my R1150GS up on the centerstand is a breeze because it has a small arm that easily lets me grab the stand with the toe of my boot while the bike is still balanced and vertical. It's so much easier than the hunt and balance method I need for the F800 and that could easily have been remedied with the addition of said "arm"! With my 1150GS all I have to do is step on the supplied 'foot' and lift. No drama at all.

My point is that those reading this thread and not having bought their centerstand might want to consider this. Personally, the toughest part of a days ride is when it's finished and I'm tired. I've come close on occasion and I've dumped a heavily loaded bike in just that situation. I'm thinking I might take the bike to a metal worker I know and see what he can do....
Old 12-02-2008, 04:59 PM   #22
mrleadfoot67
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
Stock Centerstand for me

My only complaint is that is the first thing to drag when you're cornering hard. Caught me by suprise the first time it happened, but I added a few turns of preload...actually a few turns from max preload and now I drag my pegs instead of the centerstand. It's functional which is all that matters to me.
mrleadfoot67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 05:22 PM   #23
Harry Swan
One more time

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrleadfoot67
My only complaint is that is the first thing to drag when you're cornering hard...
SW Motech has a centerstand they claim won't reduce lean angle ... http://f800depot.com/index.php?main_...roducts_id=224
From F800 Depot:
The must-have accessory for sport-touring! Greatly eases basic chain maintenance, tire changes, parking, and bike cleaning. Super-strong steel construction features typical German design and high engineering standards. Superb integration with the factory exhaust and sidestand components -- retain all existing features without sacrificing lean angle or clearances.

It appears to address my concerns ... I might have gone with one with of these.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:45 PM   #24
Motoriley
Even my posing is virtual

Oddometer: 2,646
Center stand

Those feet look kinda pointy though.

Quote:
SW Motech has a centerstand they claim won't reduce lean angle ... http://f800depot.com/index.php?main_...roducts_id=224
From F800 Depot:
The must-have accessory for sport-touring! Greatly eases basic chain maintenance, tire changes, parking, and bike cleaning. Super-strong steel construction features typical German design and high engineering standards. Superb integration with the factory exhaust and sidestand components -- retain all existing features without sacrificing lean angle or clearances.

It appears to address my concerns ... I might have gone with one with of these.
Website - http://www.apormc.com/
Vids - http://www.youtube.com/user/Motoriley?feature=mhum
Motoriley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 06:20 PM   #25
labatts1999
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoriley

I didn't get the centerstand on my bike when I ordered it but ordered it a month ago. Still haven't gotten it. I looked at that stand before ordering the bmw version and thought the same thing. Way too pointy. Thought it would sink in anything soft. The bmw stand may be ugly as hell but it doesn't look like it sink in soft dirt.

~mc
labatts1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 08:06 PM   #26
Bike4Fun
Smooth IS Fast

Oddometer: 1,554
Quote:
Originally Posted by DolphinJohn
I found this spray-on liner in an aerosol can.
I think I'm going to try it:

http://www.autobarn.net/aertrucbedco.html
so how did this work?
Bike4Fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 08:47 PM   #27
DolphinJohn
Really, Really Cool

Oddometer: 3,645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bike4Fun
so how did this work?

haven't done it yet.

kinda forgot about it, but I washed the bike today and noticed
the stand is looking pretty scraped up, so I think I'll go
ahead and order the stuff and try it out.
I'll take some pics when I do.

I know, I'm a slacker.

My Ride Reports
DolphinJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 10:08 PM   #28
Harry Swan
One more time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoriley
In really soft stuff I wouldn't use the centerstand, but most of the time off pavement there's just a little soft on top of hard pack and that would work well with this kind of stand. The SW Motech is a lot like my R1150GS centerstand which has worked pretty well off road for me. Always a good idea to avoid using it in gravel or pine needles though....
Old 08-10-2009, 03:57 AM   #29
Damir
AKA Pudla

Oddometer: 379
Hi, any new experiences with Motech centerstand?

Mounting instructions on their web says : “Cornering and ground clearance can be reduced by using a centre stand.”

Has anyone “real” problems while cornering?

Tunisia ride report

Ukraine, Russia and Romania

Croatian Backroads
Damir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 08:17 AM   #30
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,260
I guess no one has had to change a flat front tire with the BMW center stand. The fulcrum point on the BMW is so far to the rear that I needed a jack under the bike to elevate the front wheel. Offroad, it is going to take a heap of rocks on the back to elevate the front.
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote